JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation
Default 'I am a boy' insists child born a girl

I saw this story on FaceBook this morning and was overjoyed! It is so wonderful and rewarding to see parents who truly love and support their children NO MATTER WHAT!

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...rn-a-girl.html
Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up WooHoo!

Jenn,

Thank you for posting this story!! What joy!
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
I saw this story on FaceBook this morning and was overjoyed! It is so wonderful and rewarding to see parents who truly love and support their children NO MATTER WHAT!

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...rn-a-girl.html
Thanks for posting this. What I like seeing is that over time media articles are becoming more accurate when it comes to gender versus sexual orientation issues. Meaning, they are less often conflating the two, and I have seen them quite often making a point of saying that one has nothing to do with the other. I like that.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

It is so wondergful to read such a story of parents who are Present enough with their child to know his Truths.

and I commend the media for such a warm human interest story about trans people

the world, it be achanging..right before our eyes. And while it might not impact us yet, for some it is, like this boy, as he can testify.

you know, I do hope someday people wont look at me like I have three heads when I say I have dated FtMs. I dont get the startle reaction anymore for dating "females". And most people kinda get the concept of butch women/male ID'd butches when I explain what kind of "woman" I am attracted to. But I still get the startle reaction when I say I have dated trans folks. But then again, I get it when I say I have dated bio men too.

One person even asked how she would know what gender someone was, if she saw me out with someone who "looked" male.

I said, "oh honey, dont worry your little head about it. Just say hi and act like you are a nice person and assume s/he is too."

sorry for the slight derail...
Old 03-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Jeep

How Do You Identify?:
confused
Relationship Status:
YEEHAW!!!

Jeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST Reputation

Amazing.. I wish everyone could have parents that loving and supportive.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle. ~Author Unknown
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
It is so wondergful to read such a story of parents who are Present enough with their child to know his Truths.

and I commend the media for such a warm human interest story about trans people

the world, it be achanging..right before our eyes. And while it might not impact us yet, for some it is, like this boy, as he can testify.

you know, I do hope someday people wont look at me like I have three heads when I say I have dated FtMs. I dont get the startle reaction anymore for dating "females". And most people kinda get the concept of butch women/male ID'd butches when I explain what kind of "woman" I am attracted to. But I still get the startle reaction when I say I have dated trans folks. But then again, I get it when I say I have dated bio men too.

One person even asked how she would know what gender someone was, if she saw me out with someone who "looked" male.

I said, "oh honey, dont worry your little head about it. Just say hi and act like you are a nice person and assume s/he is too."

sorry for the slight derail...
Hun, you can derail my threads whenever you like as long as people are talking, that's the goal, no matter where the conversation leads
Old 03-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
key

How Do You Identify?:
androgynous, gender-queer, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
depends on person addressing me
Relationship Status:
merrily single hopefully married one day

key Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default An inbetween pronoun

Language is an inherently limited tool to explain our world, ourselves and each other. But, it's what we got.

I am of a couple (or more) minds in regards to stories like this one. And I know that one news story can not explain every little aspect to the story it is trying to report.

But I think about what I would do in this situation.....and....honestly, I am not sure I would allow my child (under a certain age) to define their gender for themselves. I realize that by posting this I am risking igniting a powder keg in here. But I do that sometimes, take these risks for the sake of discussion.

So, to further explain myself.

I think I would exhaust all attempts to explain gender (body parts) and preferences (personality traits) and to explain that our society labels us according to the body parts, period, right or wrong. I would go on to explain that when the child is old enough, they can decide to change those body parts or even define themselves differently without changing anything physically, but until then, we will have to go with the body parts definition.

And this is where I wish there could be an in between pronoun, but there isn't.

And before I get too roughed up as a reaction to this post, please hear me when I say:

I told my mother I was going to grow up to be a boy. And in first grade I signed some of my school work "Tony" (just found these papers recently - what a revelation).

I think gender as a binary experience is the problem. The claiming of one gender excluding the claiming of the other is the problem. Not whether a child believes they are one or the other.
key is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to key For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by key View Post
Language is an inherently limited tool to explain our world, ourselves and each other. But, it's what we got.

I am of a couple (or more) minds in regards to stories like this one. And I know that one news story can not explain every little aspect to the story it is trying to report.

But I think about what I would do in this situation.....and....honestly, I am not sure I would allow my child (under a certain age) to define their gender for themselves. I realize that by posting this I am risking igniting a powder keg in here. But I do that sometimes, take these risks for the sake of discussion.

So, to further explain myself.

I think I would exhaust all attempts to explain gender (body parts) and preferences (personality traits) and to explain that our society labels us according to the body parts, period, right or wrong. I would go on to explain that when the child is old enough, they can decide to change those body parts or even define themselves differently without changing anything physically, but until then, we will have to go with the body parts definition.

And this is where I wish there could be an in between pronoun, but there isn't.

And before I get too roughed up as a reaction to this post, please hear me when I say:

I told my mother I was going to grow up to be a boy. And in first grade I signed some of my school work "Tony" (just found these papers recently - what a revelation).

I think gender as a binary experience is the problem. The claiming of one gender excluding the claiming of the other is the problem. Not whether a child believes they are one or the other.
This is a very good point. One that I am sure any parent would have to consider under similar circumstances. As a mother I know that my children mature at different levels, because of this I believe that their maturity, more then their physical age would guide my choices. By all accounts this child is mature beyond his years. He has not only stated his intentions but is politically aware. I too would chose to explain all the realities and connotations of his actions before I would agree to back his decision, but in the end, I support my children one hundred percent. I would like to think that I would do the same thing. Support his choice of gender the same way I would support his choice of religion, friends, or clothing. I believe in educated decisions, but I also believe in making decisions for themselves early on.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

So lets say my parents had been evolved enough in their generation to get that when they called me their second son, they were really referring just to me wanting to be a boy, and not the actual fact that I claimed boy before they said ok, we'll aqueous to my being a boy. What you are saying is that because I was young I had no thought as to who I was, nor could I make that claim, is that right?
Children are more aware of who they are than you think. They have complex personalities and can actually take control of who they are.
I will always listen to that child, and if they say they are different from what society says is "normal" I will always stand up for that child to be who they say they are.
There is a medical reason as well to listening and acting on this particular child's needs. The mother stated she didn't want her child to have even one period. There are hormonal decisions that must be made in this case for that to happen, and the sooner the JQ public accepts that these parents have this child's best interests at heart, the better off this child will be.
Kudos to the parents for listening to their child. Perhaps he will grow up and not contemplate suicide as a means to correct a mistake.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
lisa93

How Do You Identify?:
femme

lisa93 is on a distinguished road

Kids ca define their gender pretty early on.
lisa93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, news, transgender