Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #21
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

When it comes to architecture....I love a myriad of structures.....castles to Victorian era homes....to Frank Lloyd Wright...to The Not-So-Big House......the Gaudi stuff in Barcelona, I have seen up close and it is exquisite!

Here's probably one of the most famous of Wright's homes.....the Waterfall House.

Last edited by Diva; 08-06-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

This is my new fav thread!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Dancing Building. Prague.

Earth House. by Peter Vetsch

Honeycomb Home. Slovenia.

Swiss Underground Home

I'm lovin' this thread too Apoc, and all the wonderful posts!
In terms of what I'll be posting- I'll be posting things I find interesting, not necessarily things I "like" or "approve of". Unless I say so explicitly in the post of course. Might seem an unnecessary caveat in a thread such as this- but one never knows, does one? So I thought it best to make that clear...
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Some pics of the crazy architecture in Dubai. A co-worker of mine goes there fairly often, and says its something that you should see at least once in life.

Too big to post, click -> http://pixdaus.com/single.php?id=44617

I love that sailboat-ish structure.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #25
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Some pics of the crazy architecture in Dubai. A co-worker of mine goes there fairly often, and says its something that you should see at least once in life.

I love that sailboat-ish structure.
Architecture in Dubai is worthy of it's own thread, lol. I love the Sailboat building too. The interesting thing about all the massive new construction in Dubai is that so much of it was designed in toto. So, the Sailboat building was designed so that when the Rotating Towers are completed the Sailboat building will actually appear to sail. See the effect in the video below:

The World and the other artificial island complexes under development are unbelievably ambitious:

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/dubai/dubai_palmisland.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #26
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Default randomness

Hong Kong
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #27
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Default more randomness

Rock Cut Architecture.

Turkey

Jordan

India

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Default living small

I'm intrigued by the "wee house" concept, and think my minimalist tendencies would allow me to live comfortably.

My favorite among the pre-fabricated houses are the LV series by Rocio Romero.

One side of the house is effectively glass, which lends itself to creating unity with the landscape, while design elements allow for natural air flow and light. I really like the utilitarian sheet metal siding and clean, simple lines. I don't like the idea of just plopping a box into the landscape, but these units are fairly easily customized to accommodate even challenging sites.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #29
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default cambodian architecture -

http://www.johncaserta.com/khmerarch/

http://www.gluckman.com/Phnom%20Penh%20Architecture.htm
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #30
Leader

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Leader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST Reputation

Wow, that woodland home is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that!

I have been interested in sustainable architecture/homes for many years (along with sacred geometry principles in buildings). My dream is to design a custom built strawbale/cob home. I've seen some very beautiful designs.

Strawbale is strong, energy efficient and can be very low cost (see below). I'd also like to help others who are interested do this as well. Check this out:
Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leader For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #31
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Dancing Building. Prague.

Earth House. by Peter Vetsch

Honeycomb Home. Slovenia.

Swiss Underground Home

I'm lovin' this thread too Apoc, and all the wonderful posts!
In terms of what I'll be posting- I'll be posting things I find interesting, not necessarily things I "like" or "approve of". Unless I say so explicitly in the post of course. Might seem an unnecessary caveat in a thread such as this- but one never knows, does one? So I thought it best to make that clear...
I think some of the coolest photos are of things I don't like, becasue they make me think about what the need was for the structure.

Quote:
Hong Kong
Like this, all the teeny apartmentsd crowded in, makes me think of our abundance of space here in the US and how our living spaces differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
I'm intrigued by the "wee house" concept, and think my minimalist tendencies would allow me to live comfortably.

My favorite among the pre-fabricated houses are the LV series by Rocio Romero.

One side of the house is effectively glass, which lends itself to creating unity with the landscape, while design elements allow for natural air flow and light. I really like the utilitarian sheet metal siding and clean, simple lines. I don't like the idea of just plopping a box into the landscape, but these units are fairly easily customized to accommodate even challenging sites.
I love the teeny houses, but wonder where my books would go!
I love all the metal

Love the mix of Asian with a bit of French thrown in.
the interesting shapes of the buildings, even the school, are cool.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

I wonder what it looks like inside the dancing building!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #33
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Capela dos Ossos - Evera, Portugal

The Chapel of Bones in the Royal Church of St. Francis in Evera, Portugal is a pretty amazing structure, too. The story behind its construction is actually very interesting. A friends of mine who lives in Lisbon was telling me that although the idea may be kind of morbid, it's a fascinating and breathtaking structure to visit and really does make one think. Definitely would love to visit one day.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/p...hapel-of-bones
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #34
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I wonder what it looks like inside the dancing building!
I should like to see it. I think part of it is a hotel.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #35
Leader

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Leader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST ReputationLeader Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The Chapel of Bones in the Royal Church of St. Francis in Evera, Portugal is a pretty amazing structure, too. The story behind its construction is actually very interesting. A friends of mine who lives in Lisbon was telling me that although the idea may be kind of morbid, it's a fascinating and breathtaking structure to visit and really does make one think. Definitely would love to visit one day.

hauntingly, disturbingly fascinating.
Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leader For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #36
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Default Reversible Destiny- Architecture Against Death

The Discomforts of Home

An innovative new housing project outside Tokyo aims to keep residents sharp by throwing them off balance. Duck!

By Kay Itoi

Most people, in choosing a new home, look for comfort: a serene atmosphere, smooth walls and floors, a logical layout. Nonsense, says Shusaku Arakawa, a Japanese artist based in New York. He and his creative partner, poet Madeline Gins, recently unveiled a small apartment complex in the Tokyo suburb of Mitaka that is anything but comfortable and calming. "People, particularly old people, shouldn't relax and sit back to help them decline," he insists. "They should be in an environment that stimulates their senses and invigorates their lives."

With that in mind, Arakawa and Gins designed a building of nine apartments known as Reversible Destiny Lofts. Painted in eye-catching blue, pink, red, yellow and other bright colors, the building resembles the indoor playgrounds that attract toddlers at fast-food restaurants. Inside, each apartment features a dining room with a grainy, surfaced floor that slopes erratically, a sunken kitchen and a study with a concave floor. Electric switches are located in unexpected places on the walls so you have to feel around for the right one. A glass door to the veranda is so small you have to bend to crawl out. You constantly lose balance and gather yourself up, grab onto a column and occasionally trip and fall. Even worse, there's no closet space; residents will have to find a way to live there, since the apartment offers only a few solutions. "You'll learn to figure it out," says Arakawa. Ten minutes of stumbling around is enough to send even the healthiest young person over the edge. Arakawa says that's precisely the point. "[The apartment] makes you alert and awakens instincts, so you'll live better, longer and even forever," says the artist.

Completed in October, the apartments are now selling for $763,000 each—about twice as much as a normal apartment in that neighborhood. Arakawa and Gins have received dozens of inquiries and are now in the process of showing and interviewing potential buyers. They have a certain celebrity cachet: Jakucho Setouchi, an 83-year-old popular author and respected Buddhist nun, bought one on the top floor.

Built by Takenaka Corp., a leading Japanese contractor, the apartments actually meet every building-code requirement. The artists are not worried about possible injuries or lawsuits, but make sure each buyer understands "the concept" of the building before he or she signs the contract. This isn't the first time Arakawa and Gins have created seemingly hazardous structures; 10 years ago the pair opened the Site of Reversible Destiny—Yoro Park, a theme park in Gifu, central Japan. The popular tourist spot consists of attractions designed to throw people off balance, made up of warped surfaces and confusing directions. Visitors often fall—but so far nobody has sued.

Arakawa and Gins hope the Reversible Destiny Lofts will catch on outside Japan as well. Each unit is made up of large concrete blocks that can be preassembled, making the Mitaka complex a prototype for mass production. In fact, Arakawa says, they are in talks with interested parties in Paris and New Jersey about building similar complexes. Their ultimate goal: to turn an entire community into a Reversible Destiny town, where people of all ages live, work, study and play in their unsettling buildings. "It will be a revolution," says Arakawa. "This will change the way people live." That is, assuming people don't mind living with sloping floors and no closets.
© 2010 Newsweek, Inc.

http://www.reversibledestiny.org/REV...E_DESTINY.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #37
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,928 Times in 9,908 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Awesome post, ED!

Quote:

Wow, ED!!!! Thanks for posting this! This is flippin awesome! I had no idea it even existed - would totally be down for seeing this place, if at all possible, in the future! Just wow!!!! ~D.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #38
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:

Morbid is cool!
I think it is so interesting how people have taken what is handy, in this case bones, and made it into something beautiful. I love the creepyness of it!

Quote:
I should like to see it. I think part of it is a hotel.
sosososososo cool!

Quote:

The Discomforts of Home

An innovative new housing project outside Tokyo aims to keep residents sharp by throwing them off balance. Duck!

By Kay Itoi

Most people, in choosing a new home, look for comfort: a serene atmosphere, smooth walls and floors, a logical layout. Nonsense, says Shusaku Arakawa, a Japanese artist based in New York. He and his creative partner, poet Madeline Gins, recently unveiled a small apartment complex in the Tokyo suburb of Mitaka that is anything but comfortable and calming. "People, particularly old people, shouldn't relax and sit back to help them decline," he insists. "They should be in an environment that stimulates their senses and invigorates their lives."

With that in mind, Arakawa and Gins designed a building of nine apartments known as Reversible Destiny Lofts. Painted in eye-catching blue, pink, red, yellow and other bright colors, the building resembles the indoor playgrounds that attract toddlers at fast-food restaurants. Inside, each apartment features a dining room with a grainy, surfaced floor that slopes erratically, a sunken kitchen and a study with a concave floor. Electric switches are located in unexpected places on the walls so you have to feel around for the right one. A glass door to the veranda is so small you have to bend to crawl out. You constantly lose balance and gather yourself up, grab onto a column and occasionally trip and fall. Even worse, there's no closet space; residents will have to find a way to live there, since the apartment offers only a few solutions. "You'll learn to figure it out," says Arakawa. Ten minutes of stumbling around is enough to send even the healthiest young person over the edge. Arakawa says that's precisely the point. "[The apartment] makes you alert and awakens instincts, so you'll live better, longer and even forever," says the artist.

Completed in October, the apartments are now selling for $763,000 each—about twice as much as a normal apartment in that neighborhood. Arakawa and Gins have received dozens of inquiries and are now in the process of showing and interviewing potential buyers. They have a certain celebrity cachet: Jakucho Setouchi, an 83-year-old popular author and respected Buddhist nun, bought one on the top floor.

Built by Takenaka Corp., a leading Japanese contractor, the apartments actually meet every building-code requirement. The artists are not worried about possible injuries or lawsuits, but make sure each buyer understands "the concept" of the building before he or she signs the contract. This isn't the first time Arakawa and Gins have created seemingly hazardous structures; 10 years ago the pair opened the Site of Reversible Destiny—Yoro Park, a theme park in Gifu, central Japan. The popular tourist spot consists of attractions designed to throw people off balance, made up of warped surfaces and confusing directions. Visitors often fall—but so far nobody has sued.

Arakawa and Gins hope the Reversible Destiny Lofts will catch on outside Japan as well. Each unit is made up of large concrete blocks that can be preassembled, making the Mitaka complex a prototype for mass production. In fact, Arakawa says, they are in talks with interested parties in Paris and New Jersey about building similar complexes. Their ultimate goal: to turn an entire community into a Reversible Destiny town, where people of all ages live, work, study and play in their unsettling buildings. "It will be a revolution," says Arakawa. "This will change the way people live." That is, assuming people don't mind living with sloping floors and no closets.
© 2010 Newsweek, Inc.

http://www.reversibledestiny.org/REV...E_DESTINY.html
Ummmm, no closet space? That would definitely throw me off....like I need any help.

I love the look, but I am in no way cool enough to live in these. I am too old and. must. have. storage.

I might snap an ankle too on the sloped floors.

However, in a crowded teeny place like Tokyo, it
is interesting to see the lenths people will go to be different.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #39
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post

Overlooks seaside in England
I love some of the modular prefab designs and energy wise they make sense too. I just think the price tags on them are way out of line.

you can take the oddest things, oldest structures, etc and turn them into art with the right attention to detail and landscaping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #40
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

the straw bale house that lady built is amazing. I think I might try building a small structure out here close to the house and practice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post: