Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
noneoftheabove

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
don't care

noneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputation
Default Genderless Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post
Was brought up in another thread but i think it deserves its own. The straight world is strongly opposed. I wonder what people here think.
noneoftheabove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noneoftheabove For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I've always insisted we're Human first, so good for them yet another couple who is doing this, one in Switzerland is doing this as well, I think.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...ead.php?t=1976

i was like i swear there was a thread on a swedish couple who did the same thing....and, lo and behold, i started it!

ha.

just thought i'd bump it up for you, noneoftheabove, so you can see what people thought of it at the time.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
noneoftheabove

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
don't care

noneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputation

Oh OK thanks
noneoftheabove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noneoftheabove For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I was reading about that in the Toronto Star over the weekend. I know the next day or something there were a bunch of responses by people saying they were "screwing the kid up" and "experimenting" on the kid. I think it has nothing to do with "screwing the kid up" and more the fact that people aren't comfortable with it and won't admit it.

Personally, it's good to see some parents taking this approach. We talk a lot around here about making the world a better place and the problems that the gender binary causes, yet as was demonstrated in the thread HSIN linked to even here it seems like some aren't comfortable with it.

Why? How can we hope to get rid of this tendency to force children into gender expectations if we can't even be accepting of a child who's gender we aren't aware of? How can you then expect kids to be accepting of it if the parents still teach them that everyone needs to have a gender or that gender must be known.

Anyways, kudos to these parents. Unlike most parents, they are not trying to force their kid into a gendered box. Funny how that is "harmful" to those who seem to approve forcing kids to act in certain ways based on chromosomes.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
I was reading about that in the Toronto Star over the weekend. I know the next day or something there were a bunch of responses by people saying they were "screwing the kid up" and "experimenting" on the kid. I think it has nothing to do with "screwing the kid up" and more the fact that people aren't comfortable with it and won't admit it.

Personally, it's good to see some parents taking this approach. We talk a lot around here about making the world a better place and the problems that the gender binary causes, yet as was demonstrated in the thread HSIN linked to even here it seems like some aren't comfortable with it.

Why? How can we hope to get rid of this tendency to force children into gender expectations if we can't even be accepting of a child who's gender we aren't aware of? How can you then expect kids to be accepting of it if the parents still teach them that everyone needs to have a gender or that gender must be known.

Anyways, kudos to these parents. Unlike most parents, they are not trying to force their kid into a gendered box. Funny how that is "harmful" to those who seem to approve forcing kids to act in certain ways based on chromosomes.

Of course, I have something to say about this.....

When I first heard this story, I sat back in my chair and thought.....well. How DO I feel about this?

I'm 58. Old school, I guess. But I'm thinking that I really admire these parents who are going to 'let thechips fall where they may'. How progressive!! How selfless of them to care for the CHILD'S development instead of their own!!!

Refreshing!

And then I thought....who cares!?!?! Is this child healthy? Is this child happy? Is this child LOVED?!?! Those are the important things, really, are they not?

And besides.....what f***ing business is it of OURS to say one way or another? Hmmm?

Storm. Great name!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
greeneyedgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
femme/queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her

Thanked 3,267 Times in 835 Posts
greeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputation

i think it's silly there's so much hoopla over this. when my daughter was a baby/toddler i dressed her in "boys" or "girls" clothes and when she was old enough she got to decide what she wore how i did her hair, i didn't keep her gender a secret (wish i'd a thought of it). i didn't tell strangers, but those close to me knew and when she went to daycare/school it was disclosed on her paperwork. people had a really hard time when she was walking around in her little hiking boots and spiderman tee (her fave character even tho she wasn't exposed to tv), and they treated us completely different when she was wearing dresses. when she went to a school in a conservative area she chose to wear "girls" clothes for the first few years and was super girly everything had to be pink, ruffly, and sparkly, but now at 10 she goes back and forth and sometimes people think she's my son. i'm really curious to see how it goes for these children. it sounds like they thought it through way better than i did!
greeneyedgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greeneyedgrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

There are lots of ways to screw up what would have been perfectly normal, gendered children. I don't think this is one of them.

The mainstream world is just afraid of what's not 'normal'.

I'm actually quite offended by the outrage How do they think the regular 1.5% of the population with an unidentifiable gender manage every day of their lives? And the so-called 'experts' throwing their opinion out there as if it were fact. Grrr..
Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I think it's far more challenging for adults to deal with than anybody else.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
There are lots of ways to screw up what would have been perfectly normal, gendered children. I don't think this is one of them.

The mainstream world is just afraid of what's not 'normal'.

I'm actually quite offended by the outrage How do they think the regular 1.5% of the population with an unidentifiable gender manage every day of their lives? And the so-called 'experts' throwing their opinion out there as if it were fact. Grrr..
Agreed. Also makes me think of the shitstorm some parents in B.C. made over an anti-discrimination policy drawn up for schools in Burnaby. They go on about how it is "sexualizing" schools and looking at some of the signs from the protest, they said things like "don't put labels on children" and so on. Except that they are the ones putting labels on children and assuming that children are born within the "norm" and can be influenced into falling outside of it. It's easy for them to say that talking about homophobia, transphobia and heterosexism in schools is "sexualizing" the curriculum, yet schools, parents and society as a whole already are operating under the assumption that children are default heterosexuals/non-transgender. Sex ed is already taught fairly young in Canada, yet somehow talking about homophobia is "vulgar"?

And that's similar to what's going on with the people who are criticizing these parents in the newspapers who decided to raise their children as genderless, saying they are placing their own beliefs on their children etc. etc. These parents are assuming that every child is heterosexual and falls distinctly into a certain gender by default and that that default needs to be maintained. They, then, come to believe that raising a child as genderless endangers that supposedly "natural" default. Like others have said, it is all about the comfort level of adults, not that of young children.

Edit: and that makes me think as well as how people view raising a child as genderless is introducing children to the idea of being genderless prematurely... But it seems the whole argument is based on maintaining their own gendered worldview. How is it that we live in a world where enforcing gendered norms on children is not seen as "sexualization" or "inappropriate," yet introducing them to the concept of non-gender or a fluid gender or perhaps ignoring gender entirely is seen as "inappropriate"? It's almost like society fetishizes anything that is not the "norm."
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

The problem is, people inside the 'norm' can't see that. They can't see that they themselves have a label that other people see as 'different'. It's like an English speaking person seeing English 'as the norm'. Or a person in a binary (gay/straight, black/white, male/female) seeing that as the 'norm' and all else is other.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

I grew up in a gender-defined free household and I turned out alright.

*nervous twitch*

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I think you did very well with this approach to gender issues with your child. Letting her choose her own style and expression seems just right to me.
Smooches,
Keri

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedgrrl View Post
i think it's silly there's so much hoopla over this. when my daughter was a baby/toddler i dressed her in "boys" or "girls" clothes and when she was old enough she got to decide what she wore how i did her hair, i didn't keep her gender a secret (wish i'd a thought of it). i didn't tell strangers, but those close to me knew and when she went to daycare/school it was disclosed on her paperwork. people had a really hard time when she was walking around in her little hiking boots and spiderman tee (her fave character even tho she wasn't exposed to tv), and they treated us completely different when she was wearing dresses. when she went to a school in a conservative area she chose to wear "girls" clothes for the first few years and was super girly everything had to be pink, ruffly, and sparkly, but now at 10 she goes back and forth and sometimes people think she's my son. i'm really curious to see how it goes for these children. it sounds like they thought it through way better than i did!
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

I read the article a few days ago on Yahoo but the link here is to a MUCH better and more in depth piece.

I LOVE the name, Storm is a pretty cool name whether you are a guy or a girl-lol.

When my youngest was a toddler, a friend of mine gave me a pink teddy bear that Ethan loved. So, he started taking "winky-bear" to pre-school and everyone asked me "why is it pink" and I replied "why does it matter, its a teddy bear." A teacher bought him an exact replica in blue & presented it to Ethan then hinted later that I could do away with the pink one. Yeah right-tell any mom to get rid of her youngest child's cherished teddy bear. Ultimately, Ethan began to take BOTH bears to pre-school and named them "pink winky" and "blue winky." He is 7 now and the winky bears are still part of the family.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I'm still baffled by the whole concept that this might "damage" the child and yet, people have no issue with parents who teach their kids that slavery never happened, that the world is less than 2000 years old and that being intolerant is an ok thing to do.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I certainly don't see this as abuse.

What I wish was true was change within the social definitions of gender completely! The only way we will stop the negative with gender role identification is if gender was viewed as the fluid and elastic concept that it really is. No need for stereotypic and oppressive gender roles if gender-ignorance is halted.

I know, a huge endeavor- but the seeds have been planted with research and political issues that can effect change in legislation for the entire gender spectrum. Long way to go- but we will get there.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #17
lisa93

How Do You Identify?:
femme

lisa93 is on a distinguished road

I say let the parents decide.
lisa93 is offline   Reply With Quote