Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Dollywood makes gay woman turn her shirt inside out

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A lesbian couple is asking for changes at Dollywood after an employee asked one of the women to turn her T-shirt reading "marriage is so gay" inside-out to avoid offending others on a recent visit to the Tennessee theme park complex.

Olivier Odom and Jennifer Tipton said Tuesday they want the park to be more inclusive of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender families after Odom was asked to reverse her shirt when they visited Dollywood Splash Country next to the Pigeon Forge amusement park. The story was first reported by WBIR-TV in Knoxville.

Dollywood spokesman Pete Owens said on Tuesday that Dollywood is open to all families, but their dress code policy is to ask people with clothing or tattoos that could be considered offensive to change clothes or cover up.

Owens said the couple was not asked to leave and complied with the rules to reverse the shirt when asked.

"The park is open every day to everybody," Owens said. "We try to provide an environment for families of all shapes and sizes to enjoy themselves.

Owens said park officials were discussing the matter and would speak with the couple directly.

Odom said that they visited the water park July 9 with friends and their friends' two children when she was asked by a person at the front gate to turn her shirt inside out because it was a family park.

Odom said she complied so as not to make a scene in front of the children, but felt offended.

"That's what we found so offensive — that he said it was a family park," Tipton said. "Families come in a wide range of definitions these days and we were with our family."

The two said they felt they needed to file a complaint with Dollywood because they believed it was important to stand up for their beliefs in marriage equality.

"If marriage equality is going to happen, it's not going to happen if people sit at home quietly," Odom said.

Odom said they understand the park can have dress code policies, but she felt Dollywood needed to make their policies clear and provide better training for employees when determining what is considered offensive.

Odom and Tipton are not legally married, but held a ceremony last year in North Carolina. They wrote an email to the park asking the park "to implement policies that are inclusive of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people; conduct staff sensitivity training; and issue a public statement indicating that the park is inclusive of all families."

Owens said the couple's complaints have sparked discussion at the park about the dress code, a policy that park employees deal with frequently because of the thousands of visitors every year.

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-couple-ask...200120079.html

I am just sick over waking up to this, this morning. Right here in my area this happened. I am not that surprised but i'm sick that i'm not surprised. I also heard of a couple, friends with someone i work with, that were thrown out of the park because the couple gave each other a quick "peck" of a kiss before riding a ride.

I have bought DollyWood season passes for years. I didn't this year and will be watching to see if anything is done about this. If it is not, i won't be buying a season pass next year or any year thereafter.

The comments that are attached to this article are even more upsetting.

*shakes my head
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Ok i have to back away for a few. There is so much hate being slammed on these comments that i'm getting hate mail already with my "gay rights" postings.

I am just so pissed off. I just want to scream.
Maya Angelou
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Belle,
Just wanted to slide in under your wings and lift you up. You are a beautiful person, rarely saying anything bad about anyone, so I know it is shocking to you when other say bad things about your people. I'm sorry you are so upset. When we begin to effect change, people get angry; they don't like change, and most of all they don't like to change themselves or change their beliefs. If we were sitting still they would be quiet. There will, of course, be backlash until people settle in to their newer more positive beliefs about queerfolk. The backlash is a sign of the progress.

This one phrase (along with taking positive action, which you did), helps me more than anything else when my anger over injustices gets fired up.

"living well is the best revenge." Live your best life, be happy.

Many hugs to you.
Smooches,
Karen
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Has Dolly herself said anything? Someone should call her!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

I did see this before and yes the comments on it are very hate filled Doll no longer owns the park and I have to believe SHE would be not very happy about this.. If you go to the artical and read the coments it will make you angry just remember most are made by small people who can not see past what they do not uderstand so they hide behide hate
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Dolly Parton never owned Dollywood. It is owned by the Herschend Family, she was given a small percentage of ownership for the use of her name. If you want to contact them and complain about what happened you can contact them via their website link below.

http://www.hfecorp.com/properties/
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Dollywood theme park is the product of a wonderful relationship between Herschend Family Entertainment and entertainment legend Dolly Parton that dates back to 1985. Herschend Family Entertainment is the operating partner for Dolly Parton in her Dollywood Company, which owns the Dollywood theme park and Dollywood's Splash Country water park, both in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

Additionally, the Dollywood Company is a partner in the Dixie Stampede dinner attractions located in Branson, MO and Pigeon Forge, TN; and Pirates Voyage in Myrtle Beach, SC.

For more information on Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation, please visit www.hfecorp.com.

Sources: http://www.dollywood.com/dollywood-q...formation.aspx

The park first opened in 1961 as a small tourist attraction named "Rebel Railroad", featuring a steam train, general store, blacksmith shop, and saloon. In 1966, Rebel Railroad was renamed "Goldrush Junction" and in 1970, the Cleveland Browns football team purchased the park. In 1976, Jack and Pete Herschend bought the park, and in 1977, renamed it "Silver Dollar City Tennessee" (not to be confused with Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri, also owned by the Herschends). In 1986, Dolly Parton became a co-owner, and the park was renamed "Dollywood".

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollywood

Apparently it is still currently co-owned by a Dolly Parton Company.

What is interesting is that I can remember back when it was Silver Dollar City and that train ride up the mountain. Showing my age here, but i grew up going there. I got my first bee-sting at Silver Dollar City.

It just hits so close to home with my heart to know gay people have been treated this way here. I am continuing to research and hopefully will find a way to sign a petition or do something....anything.

I'll keep watching and reporting!!!! Thanks all!!!!!

Maya Angelou
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i LOVE Dollywood, well i DID.

I am off to rant!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I can't find where to rant! Where am I going to do this???
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

I don't like the slogan on the shirt but dammit she has a right to wear it at a damn amusement park.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
I can't find where to rant! Where am I going to do this???

Apparently the comments section is gone. I don't know why. Maybe a yahoo clitch or maybe so much hate they shut it down.

No clue...but i'll keep watching and keep you posted.

I do know this morning it went from 4,000 comments to 7,000 in a matter of minutes. 95% was hate.
Maya Angelou
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation
I had posted this earlier this morning on facebook. It irked me too. Especially since I'm supposed to be at the park next weekend for a family get together and my dad's company picnic. We used to go there all the time when I was growing up. Hell, I even performed in the park back when I was on the clogging team.

You know me, I will go and I will either be wearing my "All the cool girls are lesbians" tshirt or my "FCKH8" tshirt. Damn the man! (Sorry, watched Empire Records again.) I couldn't get to the comments either.

Nice how a gay slogan tshirt is bad yet the park is filled with folks wearing confederate flags and racist tshirts. Then again, the parks are in the middle of what we call the Southern Baptist Las Vegas. (Seriously, have you seen Pigeon Forge???)

I also remember Silver Dollar City. We had to be "evacuated" off a ride due to a rattlesnake being in it. That wasn't long before it closed. (Bout as bad as FrontierLand and Ghost Town used to be.)
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Grrrrr....makes me wanna gather up a couple hundred of my closest friends and descend upon the place in full queer regalia.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
I had posted this earlier this morning on facebook. It irked me too. Especially since I'm supposed to be at the park next weekend for a family get together and my dad's company picnic. We used to go there all the time when I was growing up. Hell, I even performed in the park back when I was on the clogging team.

You know me, I will go and I will either be wearing my "All the cool girls are lesbians" tshirt or my "FCKH8" tshirt. Damn the man! (Sorry, watched Empire Records again.) I couldn't get to the comments either.

Nice how a gay slogan tshirt is bad yet the park is filled with folks wearing confederate flags and racist tshirts. Then again, the parks are in the middle of what we call the Southern Baptist Las Vegas. (Seriously, have you seen Pigeon Forge???)

I also remember Silver Dollar City. We had to be "evacuated" off a ride due to a rattlesnake being in it. That wasn't long before it closed. (Bout as bad as FrontierLand and Ghost Town used to be.)
OMG you clogged up there? I was in a clog group as well when i was little, we didn't clog at Silver Dollar City but we did in Cherokee up on the stages out in the middle of everything. Also at a campground in Pigeon Forge. Our cheerleading team in Jr. High preformed in Pigeon Forge too. Ah, those were the days. That's what drives me nuts. This is my home. I am so angry and hurt and should know better than to be surprised, but still am. If you weren't 100 years younger than me we may have even crossed paths back then.

I hope you have a good trip and i will keep you close to my heart when you go there. Be careful honey. I don't want you getting into a situation, not that you couldn't handle it, that is unsafe. I understand your anger, believe me i share it with you.

Keep us posted how it goes please.
Maya Angelou
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Grrrrr....makes me wanna gather up a couple hundred of my closest friends and descend upon the place in full queer regalia.
yeah! what you said!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Full queer regalia! OMG! Queers are so fabulous, and when you piss them off they will drag out all their queerest crap and flap it in your face! I love it. Take lots of pictures.

On the other hand your Dad might appreciate it more if it didn't happen at his company picnic. Maybe a later date would be better (unless he's into it, of course!)

Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:

Count me in darlin. I'll wear my shirt with the pink letters that says "Team Femme".
Maya Angelou
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
Full queer regalia! OMG! Queers are so fabulous, and when you piss them off they will drag out all their queerest crap and flap it in your face! I love it. Take lots of pictures.

On the other hand your Dad might appreciate it more if it didn't happen at his company picnic. Maybe a later date would be better (unless he's into it, of course!)

Smooches,
Keri
Dad is highly nonconfrontational so he would probably just shake his head and walk away. One of his bosses, however, is also a raging lesbian. (Her own phrase lol) I had drinks with her and her partner at a Christmas party once. I'm sure she'd be game for it, as well as some of the others. Lol

Eh, it is something I will do subtly this time because my son will be in attendance. Next time, not so much.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I heard about this and it makes me mad. Someone should organize a big ol gay protest out in front of the park with rainbows flying out of their asses (figuratively). That might get their attention! lol
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
Has Dolly herself said anything? Someone should call her!

This was one of my very first thoughts. I hope Dolly will comment on this directly and not leave it to her PR people.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post: