Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 AM   #61
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
Nope!

This was an extremely good choice though. Very sad about the loss of Kelly Johnson, she was so good! And really ROCKED. But, I'm talking back further than this.

Think, "relative" to time periods too. For example, how we thought of Jimi ,The Who as being "hard rock", some of it is considered "pretty now" by some current standards.

Just like when Black Sabboth and Deep Purple came along, today some of "that" is very "beautiful"...

Seriously, this was the first all women's band accepted for major mainstream recording - a difficult pathway to establish for the time. They wrote their own music and all played there own instruments. And although there surely were other women's band's then playing rock, this was the first "hired" for recording.

Other all female bands were accepted for this band paving the way.

More clues lined up, but keep trying first. I gave a VERY good clue to start off with.

Sincerely!

WILDCAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Hmmmm.... I was thrown by your query about the first mainstream successful HARD rock band. Which I believe is Girlschool. The Runaways were later and not as successful. I believe one of the members of Girlschool (the drummer?) later joined the Go-Go's and after that played some lez festivals?
Unless you mean The Slits which were certainly HARD but considered more punk than rock.
Back further than Girlschool, and mainstream and popular? And HARD rock? And all-female? No one that I know of.

Now if we are talking about regular blues-based rock, history of rock and (non-hard) roll and all, then the first mainstream all-female rock band would probably be the GTO's.
YouTube- the GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously), 1969

But I'm thinking you mean the Fannies. Blues based rock remarkable for existing in a man's world circa 1970 (or whenever). They rocked! In a 70's Tv friendly non- hard way! lol. But seriously, they totally rocked.
I'm getting a history lesson in music with you two!

My first instinct was to say Vixen, who came way after these women mentioned.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #62
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I'm getting a history lesson in music with you two!

My first instinct was to say Vixen, who came way after these women mentioned.
Thanks Gemme!
Here's an oldie fer ya:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN-nJld8czw"]YouTube- The Slits - So Tough[/ame]
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #63
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,270 Posts
Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation

Now, that's one cool, old lady! Awesome Wild!

Quote:
WOOO-HOOOO! Who says ya can't have FUN when you get older!!!????

YouTube- 91 yr. old female drummer - Allee Willis Presents "Hey Jerrie"

*Allee Willis tribute...
Scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #64
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Merry Christmas, Darling

The Carpenters

(I don't know how to post a song....sorry!)
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #65
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

That's one of my favorite Xmas songs Miss Diva...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Merry Christmas, Darling

The Carpenters

(I don't know how to post a song....sorry!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #66
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
hi i'm not sure where to begin

my dad listened to heavy metal bands- i could not stand hearing at the time. my step mother liked whatever was on the radio, and her family were into mostly country [some rockabilly]. grandparents - classical, modern, big band, country, rock, alternative, and so on. once i caught a glimpse of bowie, blondie, and talking heads- that was it. i was shaped forever by music of the b-52's, cure, clash, 4AD, bauhaus, tones on tail, oingo boingo, smiths, cocteau twins, this mortal coil, and whenever i was old enough to get into warehouses for industrial music, [even thrown out a few times for not quite yet of age but determined] i was in pure heaven. i'm also very interested in bands- some i've listed, who have collaborated. for example, for a charity group, the finn brothers [awesome!] playing with radiohead, wilco, and smiths:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...or-neil-f.html

there's so much music out there. may you all find something beautiful, building, changing, stunning, and energizing

belle

violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #67
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,089 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation
Default gives me chills everytime...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pojL_35QlSI"]YouTube- Dixie Chicks - Not Ready To Make Nice[/ame]
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #68
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Default Afterglow by INXS

One of my favorite songs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnTelUJrDhc"]YouTube- INXS - Afterglow[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #69
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

This is my second favorite song ever.
Many of my views on live in general came from this music.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okd3hLlvvLw"]YouTube- Imagine[/nomedia]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxLnIRVVwIM&feature=related"]YouTube- Imagine ~ John Lennon[/ame]

I just noticed today is December 8, the 29th year since John Lennon's death. It seems like yesterday.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #70
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBgjysQA6Cc&feature=related"]YouTube- The Beatles - Let it Be (1970)[/ame]

My favorite song!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #71
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
This is my second favorite song ever.
Many of my views on live in general came from this music.

YouTube- Imagine

YouTube- Imagine ~ John Lennon

I just noticed today is December 8, the 29th year since John Lennon's death. It seems like yesterday.

Thank you for posting this and reminding me. I will light a candle... I was torn UP for several months after John came out with his last album [alive] and was shot right after that! I buried the album and was upset that they just kept playing his songs over the airwaves. It felt like a violation to me.

Ramdom thoughts, special announcements and more trivia:

*The JACKSONS are coming out with a new special "series" on the A&E channel this Sunday. I'm going to keep quite about this, but I do feel for me personally this is JUST TOO DAMN SOON for the "bro's" to do this... IMHO.

*For some of you Idol fans, Allison, the young wild red head from last season has her own band now, and has a new album [CD] out. She was on the Ellen show last week. She has a woman drummer, one woman guitarist... and another guitarist I am not sure of... (he/she looks like a very tall slender ADAM L), and I believe a male keyboard player. Nice to see the mix, that she chose this! So, you fans of hers... She belted out a rock song. Perhaps a little too teenie-boppy for me, but (?) I don't know what the rest of the CD is like though.

*Scorp, will adress you "guessES" now... Give me a bit of time here please. (Thanks for "playing"!)

PEACE

WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #72
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs down Well, well, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Hmmmm.... I was thrown by your query about the first mainstream successful HARD rock band. Which I believe is Girlschool. The Runaways were later and not as successful. I believe one of the members of Girlschool (the drummer?) later joined the Go-Go's and after that played some lez festivals?
Unless you mean The Slits which were certainly HARD but considered more punk than rock.
Back further than Girlschool, and mainstream and popular? And HARD rock? And all-female? No one that I know of.

Now if we are talking about regular blues-based rock, history of rock and (non-hard) roll and all, then the first mainstream all-female rock band would probably be the GTO's.
YouTube- the GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously), 1969

But I'm thinking you mean the Fannies. Blues based rock remarkable for existing in a man's world circa 1970 (or whenever). They rocked! In a 70's Tv friendly non- hard way! lol. But seriously, they totally rocked.
Another good choice here with the "GTO's", but the key was "major recording labels". Back in the day there were only a few of them - ya got in, or ya "didn't"! One gal from this band here [you posted] was a nanny to Frank Zappa kids, and I'm sure that HE was considered an "independent" label then. So when these "girls" here from Haight Ashbury got bored, they did record one album... yes. Frank produced it. Actually, I can hear his "influence" in this one song you posted.

QUOTE BY DAVID BOWIE: (Rolling Stone magazine 12/99)

"One of the most important bands in American Rock has been buried without a trace. And that is Fanny. They were extraordinary. They wrote everything, they played like motherfuckers. They were colossal and wonderful, and nobody's ever mentioned them. They're as important as anyone's ever been, ever; it just wasn't their time. Revivify Fanny and I will feel that my work has been done."

Whoa.

Now, you were a little bad here by stating a couple different choices in one post. (i.e. Could be this one, but might be that one... lol!)

HOWEVER, YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!!!!!!!!!

Fanny recorded rock from 1970 - 1975. Sisters June and Jean Millington originally formed the band (called Wild Honey, pre-recording).

Bands and artists from that time period such as David Bowie, Deep Purple, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Rod Stewart, George Harrison, etc... all helped to promote them. They were blown away by them.

Warner Brothers record producer (of artists like Leo Sayer, Carly Simon, Barbra Steisand) was wanting an all women's rock band. He signed them under contract to WB's subsidiary "Reprise Records".

Prior to Fanny, NO all female band in any genre of music playing their own instruments and writing their own material had ever known true success.

Their 3rd album was recorded in the Beatle's Apple studio, (a now major label in itself, recording artists to follow such as Badfinger, etc...)

Fanny's one single "Young and Dumb" was banned by the BBC and they were banned from performing that at Albert Hall, for it was considered "too provocative".

After their Reprise contract was up, Fanny moved to Casablanca for their final recorded album. Popular 70's bands such as KISS, Village People, Donna Summers, etc... recorded for this label.

By them putting their foot in the door opened to artist like Joan Jett, etc...

Here is a historical film recognizing them as "Women Legends In Music". The quality of the film is terrible, but bear past the first few minutes of sound in and out for the first song, and the "sound" at least does get better. It is rare footage and worth the historical significance IMO:.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWl5Rr0iIi8"]YouTube- FANNY "Legendary Ladies of Rock & Roll"[/ame]

Scorp, with all due respect, I think you will find this "sound" a bit more "hard rock" than the GTO's. Yes? I guess you could say this has a southern blues rock sound to it too... It's the guitar sound, the drumming and bit of belting it out at times in this genre - all not very "lady like" for the time that appalled folks. Literally. They were seen as "freaks" at first, but eventually fought through the harsh criticism to be accepted once people went to their concerts and saw them perform and felt their rock energy.

(Remember the "MONKEES" didn't even all play their own instruments!! Just a little more trivia here.)

They fought very hard to stay away from that "cutesy" feminine look and behavior that was expected of them - to be seen and respected as "musicians FIRST".

Regarding this Charity Ball hit (which I had the 45 record), can you BELIEVE what CHER SAYS AT THE END OF THIS?!! I bet she would take this back in a heartbeat today!! Kind of funny now though...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTA0PHkZbt0"]YouTube- Charity Ball by rock group Fanny[/ame]

____

NEW TRIVIA, but spin-off from this... (?) (Might as well keep doing your homework.) What very popular female vocalist [front woman] went on at this time to do her own solo "rock" career in the mainstream - who has a connection to this band? (No, not June Millington... we know where her shift in music went.)

WILDCAT

*Oh, someone to contact you soon regarding your prize!

**P.S. ETA, I don't know what that red symbol is in the topic/post title here, must have bumped something and not here in editing to delete. Disregard please. It looks like a "thumbs down". No, no, no... not at all - from me. K?!
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 02:13 AM   #73
Joectigger

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/him
Relationship Status:
Single

Joectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST ReputationJoectigger Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFOzayDpWoI"]YouTube- Fiona Apple - Criminal[/ame]
Joectigger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joectigger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #74
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bianca Ryan

For those that remember the very first America's Got Talent, this is the winner, who was 9 at the time.

This song is pretty much my anthem.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrLzS2ejiFA"]YouTube- That's Not Me (Full) - Bianca Ryan (Lyrics in Description)[/ame]

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 AM   #75
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation
Default Me and the feet have some years to reclaim. . .

He says he'll let go
If only I'd ask it of him

He says,
"Girl, it's your call.
You wanna fly?
You wanna fall?"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7AgN8BECOY"]YouTube- Sia - Little black sandals[/ame]

So now I'm free
Free from the big bad giant
Who was stalking me
Thank you feet, for guiding me
I'm glad somehow I got brains down there, at least

These little black sandals
Are walking me away
Are heading the right way

Are walking me away
Saved my life today
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #76
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation
Default Also by Sia. . .

I eat food to satisfy my hunger
I drink water to quench my thirst
I use my mouth and air to blow balloon up
I prick with pin to watch it burst
To make noise I use my breath
To unlock doors I use a key
When I'm looking for something I use my eyes
I use booze to unlock me

I wear shoes so I can run
As to avoid the broken glass
I wear the pants because they suit me
And to discourage the pinchin' of ass
I'll tell a joke to make you laugh
I'll close the door to have a cry
They say that change and pain is a positive thing
Have I changed since you died

Don't ask me why I smoke
(I don't know)
But I drink to get drunk
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #77
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,560 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so92EDJpu_A"]YouTube- Led Zeppelin - Kashmir Original Recording[/ame]
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #78
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Another good choice here with the "GTO's", but the key was "major recording labels". Back in the day there were only a few of them - ya got in, or ya "didn't"! One gal from this band here [you posted] was a nanny to Frank Zappa kids, and I'm sure that HE was considered an "independent" label then. So when these "girls" here from Haight Ashbury got bored, they did record one album... yes. Frank produced it. Actually, I can hear his "influence" in this one song you posted.

QUOTE BY DAVID BOWIE: (Rolling Stone magazine 12/99)

"One of the most important bands in American Rock has been buried without a trace. And that is Fanny. They were extraordinary. They wrote everything, they played like motherfuckers. They were colossal and wonderful, and nobody's ever mentioned them. They're as important as anyone's ever been, ever; it just wasn't their time. Revivify Fanny and I will feel that my work has been done."

Whoa.

Now, you were a little bad here by stating a couple different choices in one post. (i.e. Could be this one, but might be that one... lol!)

HOWEVER, YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!!!!!!!!!

Fanny recorded rock from 1970 - 1975. Sisters June and Jean Millington originally formed the band (called Wild Honey, pre-recording).

Bands and artists from that time period such as David Bowie, Deep Purple, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Rod Stewart, George Harrison, etc... all helped to promote them. They were blown away by them.

Warner Brothers record producer (of artists like Leo Sayer, Carly Simon, Barbra Steisand) was wanting an all women's rock band. He signed them under contract to WB's subsidiary "Reprise Records".

Prior to Fanny, NO all female band in any genre of music playing their own instruments and writing their own material had ever known true success.

Their 3rd album was recorded in the Beatle's Apple studio, (a now major label in itself, recording artists to follow such as Badfinger, etc...)

Fanny's one single "Young and Dumb" was banned by the BBC and they were banned from performing that at Albert Hall, for it was considered "too provocative".

After their Reprise contract was up, Fanny moved to Casablanca for their final recorded album. Popular 70's bands such as KISS, Village People, Donna Summers, etc... recorded for this label.

By them putting their foot in the door opened to artist like Joan Jett, etc...

Here is a historical film recognizing them as "Women Legends In Music". The quality of the film is terrible, but bear past the first few minutes of sound in and out for the first song, and the "sound" at least does get better. It is rare footage and worth the historical significance IMO:.

YouTube- FANNY "Legendary Ladies of Rock & Roll"

Scorp, with all due respect, I think you will find this "sound" a bit more "hard rock" than the GTO's. Yes? I guess you could say this has a southern blues rock sound to it too... It's the guitar sound, the drumming and bit of belting it out at times in this genre - all not very "lady like" for the time that appalled folks. Literally. They were seen as "freaks" at first, but eventually fought through the harsh criticism to be accepted once people went to their concerts and saw them perform and felt their rock energy.

(Remember the "MONKEES" didn't even all play their own instruments!! Just a little more trivia here.)

They fought very hard to stay away from that "cutesy" feminine look and behavior that was expected of them - to be seen and respected as "musicians FIRST".

Regarding this Charity Ball hit (which I had the 45 record), can you BELIEVE what CHER SAYS AT THE END OF THIS?!! I bet she would take this back in a heartbeat today!! Kind of funny now though...

YouTube- Charity Ball by rock group Fanny

____

NEW TRIVIA, but spin-off from this... (?) (Might as well keep doing your homework.) What very popular female vocalist [front woman] went on at this time to do her own solo "rock" career in the mainstream - who has a connection to this band? (No, not June Millington... we know where her shift in music went.)

WILDCAT

*Oh, someone to contact you soon regarding your prize!

**P.S. ETA, I don't know what that red symbol is in the topic/post title here, must have bumped something and not here in editing to delete. Disregard please. It looks like a "thumbs down". No, no, no... not at all - from me. K?!
YAY I Won!!!
Yeah, our frames of reference for "hard rock" are very different. But thanks for the historic info, I had forgotten all about Fanny. That's so cool that you have one of their 45's. Have you ever had opportunity to listen to one of their albums? I haven't. Nor the GTO's.
One time years ago I spent hours sorting through boxes of "one-dollar" albums and found a mint copy of the GTOs. Unfortunately the jerk-off who owned the store decided to refuse to sell it to me because he "didn't realize he had it". Uh, yeah, that's what dollar boxes of records in used record stores are for, jackass, finding a gem. I never went back.
Hope he enjoyed his record. He lost a TON of business over it and must have pissed off a lot of collectors because he soon went out of business. The landlord kept his stock in leu of rent and probably sold it en mass at auction.
Bad karma!
So I get a Fanny album as a prize, right???
ha!
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #79
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bX7iwygIKQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Oceanlab - Sky Falls Down - Armin Van Buuren Mix (HQ)[/ame]
The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #80
Mindy

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Single

Mindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST Reputation

I love music! When I was a kid, I played piano, but I wasn't real good at it. I took up guitar and liked it but then decided I'd also like to try bass guitar. I fell in love! I learned how to play and I can play pretty well. I had 3 different bands ask me to play in their bands, but I either didn't like their band or didn't like the music they played. One had a terrible singer and I just couldn't play in a band where I couldn't stand to hear the singer, one was a country band and they played that whiney, twangy stuff I don't like, the 3rd we were actually working on getting an all gal band together but couldn't find a drummer, male or female. Then when I moved to Illinois it seemed I never got time to practice and ended up selling it. I miss my bass, a lot!

Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote