Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #41
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Stocking my fridge and freezer monthly. I freeze milk, meats, and fresh veggies. I blanch and freeze vegetables and stock my freezer. But it also helps to be into culinary arts. I love to cook and prepare soups and dishes in advance for freezing. There's always plenty on hand to eat and I save an incredible amount of money by knowing how to cook. I eat like a king by preparing everything in advance and I pay far less for fresh foods than pre-packaged or prepared frozen foods. My grocer is a global supermarket that offers spices and foods from around the world. I shop for everything I need and stockpile.

I invested in a stainless steel 12-piece cookware from Cuisenart, retailed for 500.00 for 99.00 and free shipping. I also received discounts on J.A. Henckles cutlery. Once you have the basics you're on your way.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #42
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Frugal vs Cheap.

There are some things I refuse to give up. I do not buy very many generic things. I like choices so I am frugal with what brand names I do buy. If I want a Rib-eye steak I wait to find one that is marked down for clearance and have it that night.

I have learned over the years to not deny myself things I like. It only makes me resentful and I will not live like that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #43
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

I get a lot of catalogues, and I drop them straight into the recycle bin on my way to my apartment when I get home.

Quinoa in bulk is like the only great deal at Whole Foods. So I stock up every three or four months on it.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #44
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

One of the biggest ways I save money is by bringing my lunch to work. Usually it's either leftovers from the previous evening or a Lean Cuisine meal or something like that. I also bring my breakfast (a smoothie or yogurt and fruit) and my afternoon snack.

Just for example, when I eat at the cafeteria at work it looks like this:

Breakfast - Starbucks coffee, scrambled eggs, orange or banana = $5

Lunch - Usually something from the salad bar or the lunch of the day= $7

Afternoon snack - Fruit or something junky = $1

$13 a day multiplied by however many days I go in. I work at home a lot but there are times I go in to work 4 or 5 days.
Just going in 4 days multiplied by $13 - over $50.
Do that every week and it's easily over $200 a month.

Jack and I also try to curtail eating out. We got into a bad habit for a while of eating out 2 - 3 times a week and it was costing hundreds a month.

Just eat at home!! and SAVE!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #45
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Never subscribe to cable or Dish. I use my big iMac for everything including streaming on the networks and watching full episodes. I saved around 127.00/mo not having a TV. Oh, and those downloads...

Ha! My aunts want me to write a book on how I got around it all.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #46
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
One of the biggest ways I save money is by bringing my lunch to work. Usually it's either leftovers from the previous evening or a Lean Cuisine meal or something like that. I also bring my breakfast (a smoothie or yogurt and fruit) and my afternoon snack.

Just for example, when I eat at the cafeteria at work it looks like this:

Breakfast - Starbucks coffee, scrambled eggs, orange or banana = $5

Lunch - Usually something from the salad bar or the lunch of the day= $7

Afternoon snack - Fruit or something junky = $1

$13 a day multiplied by however many days I go in. I work at home a lot but there are times I go in to work 4 or 5 days.
Just going in 4 days multiplied by $13 - over $50.
Do that every week and it's easily over $200 a month.

Jack and I also try to curtail eating out. We got into a bad habit for a while of eating out 2 - 3 times a week and it was costing hundreds a month.

Just eat at home!! and SAVE!
Great points! Eating out is so easy but so expensive. Red being a teacher takes her lunch everyday but one when her team goes out. We make her breakfast sandwiches for the week on Sunday so she can pop one in the microwave while getting ready.

Loving all the great tips. Keep them coming :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #47
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Default Magazine Tips

[QUOTE=IslandScout;867214]I get a lot of catalogues, and I drop them straight into the recycle bin on my way to my apartment when I get home.QUOTE]

Here is a fun way to maybe use some of those magazines.

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/451...d-box/page/all
Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #48
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

My aunt would take all the junk mail catalogs,news papers ect then put them into a paper log roller.This gizmo would role them up into a foot and a half to a two foot long paper log then tie it off with heavy string,she use d them for fire starters in her fire place.I have no idea where she got this gizmo but it really did work plus the junk mail was use full.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #49
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Default Roll Your Own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
My aunt would take all the junk mail catalogs,news papers ect then put them into a paper log roller.This gizmo would role them up into a foot and a half to a two foot long paper log then tie it off with heavy string,she use d them for fire starters in her fire place.I have no idea where she got this gizmo but it really did work plus the junk mail was use full.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Uniflame-C-4301-Newspaper-Log-Roller/dp/B0012M9UZ6"]Amazon.com - Uniflame Newspaper Log Roller[/ame]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #50
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post

Yep,that's it, the very same thing she had.Aunt Jo lived on a farm that had some of the best hard wood around,I should know I cut,chopped and hauled enough of it for fire wood over the years she lived there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #51
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Default Food Saver

I had one of these years ago but it was bulky and the materials were hard to get. I have been researching the new ones and think I am going to purchase this one

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V3835-Vacuum-Sealing-System/dp/B001E42R8O/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386431340&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=food+daver"]Amazon.com: FoodSaver V3835 Vacuum Sealing System: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

With this we could buy more meat in bulk and vacuum seal in portions for just the 2 of us.

Does anyone else have one of these and if so what brand do you have.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #52
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
I had one of these years ago but it was bulky and the materials were hard to get. I have been researching the new ones and think I am going to purchase this one

Amazon.com: FoodSaver V3835 Vacuum Sealing System: Kitchen & Dining

With this we could buy more meat in bulk and vacuum seal in portions for just the 2 of us.

Does anyone else have one of these and if so what brand do you have.

I have used one before and they are great for freezing food or prepackaged meals,also the shelf time in the freezer is longer because of the air venting system by at least a couple of months more than the six months with freezer bags.The only reason I don't use one is getting the bags for the unit can be iffy,but if you can get the bags I think its a great idea.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #53
Yew

How Do You Identify?:
ftm, trans*
Preferred Pronoun?:
he him his
Relationship Status:
Single

Yew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I am a fanatic about turning things off: lights, my computer monitor for example, and I hang a lot of my laundry even though I have a dryer. I buy some food from a co-op where it's 1/2 the grocery store price, is generally locally produced and has no sales tax (I live in a backward state that still taxes groceries); at the grocery store I look first in the discount carts and meat sections. Also, I use rags vs apertowels, and cloth napkins vs paper ones, then just wash them. I spent a summer in Spain and was impressed by the thriftiness I saw there and have added some of what I saw into my own lifestyle. I thrift shop a lot, too, since it's fun and economical. And lastly, I am not a beer snob so PBR is my friend
Yew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #54
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yew View Post
I am a fanatic about turning things off: lights, my computer monitor for example, and I hang a lot of my laundry even though I have a dryer. I buy some food from a co-op where it's 1/2 the grocery store price, is generally locally produced and has no sales tax (I live in a backward state that still taxes groceries); at the grocery store I look first in the discount carts and meat sections. Also, I use rags vs apertowels, and cloth napkins vs paper ones, then just wash them. I spent a summer in Spain and was impressed by the thriftiness I saw there and have added some of what I saw into my own lifestyle. I thrift shop a lot, too, since it's fun and economical. And lastly, I am not a beer snob so PBR is my friend

We are about go get back on this kick ourselves. It's not only friendlier for the environment but it cuts wayyyyy down on how much we spend on disposable paper products.
Jack does carry an old-school cloth handkerchief around that I wash and iron every few days. I kinda love that.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #55
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

On the local news there was talk about whole foods chain opening hear.if they do I definitely will shop there,I hear it is better than most wherehouse chains,this is something to look forwards to.
We use to have a family owned produce store hear plus some on the side of the road stands as well,the main one closed and I haven''t seen any that have what I call good produce,we have a farmers market open in the festaval plaza down town but its closed at the moment.I really have near stopped buying produce at the grocery store cause it is a hit or miss to get quality fruits /veggies so whole foods shurly can do better.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #56
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

The library saves me money and a few trees too. Aside from actual books, they also have a downloadable e reader and a wide selection of books to download; dvd's; music cd's; newpapers from all over the USA, and a wide selection of magazines.

We can order stuff statewide, so there is a varied, and extensive collection of stuff to choose from.

Plus, they have free admission passes to statewide museums, aquariums, and other cultural events.

Good stuff.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #57
BestButchBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Male ID

Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,038 Posts
BestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST Reputation

Flying solo.
BestButchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #58
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I am wondering if anyone else but I have gone grocery store dumpster diving. I did it before it was fashionable and it was a source of shame for me for many years.
When I was pregnant w my daughter I was forbidden by my husband to apply for welfare or food stamps. He worked at Taco Bell part time and I could not work because the pregnancy was a very stressful one. I would go to grocery stores and dig thru their dumpsters. I got veggies and some meats, some expired boxed goods, canned goods, etc. I would clean them and cut off all the wilted or bad parts and make soups and stews out of them to feed my pregnant body.

Now everyone seems to want to do it or think its great. I kinda laughed when i saw the first documentary about it. No more shame! LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #59
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Today I hit a small jack pot at the grocery store,they had a bargain bin of veggies for $2.00 a bag of assorted produce.I got 4 bags of bell peppers,1 bag of onions then an assorted bag of cucks /zukini's (sp?).Some of the peppers I am going to pickle some i'm chopping with some onions and celery for seasoning so all I need to do is get some from the freezer when I need it,the zukes are going to be stuffed then indeviduly wrapped so if I want one to eat all I need to do is get one out of the freezer,my son wont eat one to save his life but I like them baked with tomato sause then topped with my choice of cheese,not a bad buy for the price.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #60
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft*Silver View Post
I am wondering if anyone else but I have gone grocery store dumpster diving. I did it before it was fashionable and it was a source of shame for me for many years.
When I was pregnant w my daughter I was forbidden by my husband to apply for welfare or food stamps. He worked at Taco Bell part time and I could not work because the pregnancy was a very stressful one. I would go to grocery stores and dig thru their dumpsters. I got veggies and some meats, some expired boxed goods, canned goods, etc. I would clean them and cut off all the wilted or bad parts and make soups and stews out of them to feed my pregnant body.

Now everyone seems to want to do it or think its great. I kinda laughed when i saw the first documentary about it. No more shame! LOL

This has become fashionably with the college kids hear,a spot on the local news showed the things they got that looked as fresh as in the store.I hope they are careful with the choices they have some things may look good but are on the edge of spoiling.