Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
Its obvious what i am as soon as i walk out the door. I dont wave flags, have stickers on my truck etc. Never felt the need to be more visible in the community.
that’s where i envy butches sometimes. i know the struggle can be big but you never have to go around outing yourself all the time.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,871 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
that’s where i envy butches sometimes. i know the struggle can be big but you never have to go around outing yourself all the time.
Thats true we dont have to go around outing ourselves. I know about the femme invisiblity issues as well, my ex's have had that happen to them all the time so i do understand the need for more visibility.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #3
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

I'm always really out at work, as I am everywhere else, but since I'm a freelancer that sometimes means coming out matter-of-factly, and on a daily basis, to anyone new. I haven't worked with some of the men in this group of macho grips and carpenters before, so It's possible that they haven't heard about the notorious biker-dyke scenic artist yet. (That would be me.) I have bumper stickers, etc, but I've found that those who are looking for information about a person are usually the only ones who notice things like that.

We left work a little early in the midst of an impressive blizzard last Thursday, and two of those dudes were stuck in a car that couldn't make it out of the unplowed parking lot, and wouldn't have a prayer of safely making it down the street. I told them I would drive them back to their neighborhood since it wasn't that far out of the way for me. My Lesbaru did just fine in the deep snow and ice. They joked about me 'saving' them, and we spent the rest of the relatively long, slow drive chatting. One of them is from a Honduran family, and the other is from a Haitian family. Both spoke about how much easier and cheaper it is to live in those places, and advised that I should consider retiring to either place where I could live like royalty on an income that would barely feed and house me in NYC. I said that I might be safe in Honduras, but that I couldn't be safe in Haiti. Since I'm white, I'm sure they were getting uncomfortable with their projections of what they were quite certain I was about to say next. I continued on by saying that the legal situation in Haiti, not to mention the cultural one, is very dangerous for gay people like me. ('Whew!', I heard them think to themselves.) I also told them it would be extremely unsafe for me to travel to Jamaica or Russia right now for the same reasons. They were genuinely surprised. And curious. Then the Haitian American told me that his family had a beloved neighbour in Haiti who was never harmed, and was accepted by all. Of course he never explicitly said he was gay, but they all knew, and it was ok. The closeted gay neighbor never publicly had a husband, etc. I took a deep breath and patiently explained that he was relatively safe because he lived a closeted life, and that 'don't ask-don't tell' sometimes gives cover to homophobes. I further explained that the gay neighbor likely has legitimate fears that if he were to be more explicit he would face backlash and rejection from people who now tolerate him, and that we gay people sometimes find out the hard way that we aren't really accepted after all when we do tell.

I was so proud of myself for being patient and calm. I didn't respond angrily towards them for their ignorance, which I used to do regularly. I was really ok being their source for education on a topic they seemed not to have considered before. So I was visible AND educational. No, I didn't give them a ride home because I was trying to prove that lesbians are cool, but now they both probably think that THIS lesbian is pretty cool.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
I was so proud of myself for being patient and calm. I didn't respond angrily towards them for their ignorance, which I used to do regularly. I was really ok being their source for education on a topic they seemed not to have considered before. So I was visible AND educational. No, I didn't give them a ride home because I was trying to prove that lesbians are cool, but now they both probably think that THIS lesbian is pretty cool.

Well done. I'm proud of you, too. And, thank you for a great post. I think the way you went about it was perfect. It's so easy to be hotheaded and we all know that usually doesn't end well. My goal isn't ever to incite violence or confrontation, but to, whether by action or conversation, convey our similarities and interesting differences and perhaps help eliminate at least a little negative bias and broaden thinking.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:31 AM   #5
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
Yeah, but there's a flip side to not being obviously butch. Was brought to my attention during a conversation about 25 years ago between my ex-husband (obviously ethnically Jewish), my now lover (very butch and unable to hide), and myself (able to blend into straight and non-Jewish crowds, but am gender bent). How safe I feel on my Partner's arm, but is She safe having me there?

If you are a person who can blend in, be aware of the weight those who cannot must carry. In many places at present, it may result in a pleasant acknowledgement. But don't forget how quickly those tables can turn. Wasn't so long ago , 1940s Holocaust and 1960s Stonewall that our sisters (and brothers) were getting their heads smashed in and being gassed.

The political climate of the world could well lead to similar atrocities.
We just need to be aware and know that all is not safe. When will the next Charlottesville happen, and how far will the fascists push it this time?