Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it BAD art if you love it? They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder; is appreciation in the
Is there a velvet Elvis over your mantel? 7 14.89%
Do Dali's clocks drip from your table top? 16 34.04%
Do you have a pyramid of Brillo boxes in your pantry? 4 8.51%
Did you paint your mother's portrait as a cube with three eyes? 5 10.64%
Have all your leftover marshmallow Peeps been glued and framed? 7 14.89%
Are your Barbies in dioramas? 7 14.89%
Are all the clowns crying in their frames? 1 2.13%
If you look hard can you see the numbers though the paint? 8 17.02%
Are balloon animals involved? 4 8.51%
If shrunk down to its original size is it a comic strip? 13 27.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
LeftWriteFemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Daddy's good girl

Thanked 12,325 Times in 5,198 Posts
LeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default Is it BAD art if you love it?

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder; is appreciation in the heart of the appreciator?

Please tell me your secret art preferences......I promise not to tell a soul!

Oh, and please take the poll!
Please take a look at my work
Click on flashing smilie to see my website

To look at my Daddy/girl erotica book Click on pompom girl to see Elbows on the Table, Palms Flat
LeftWriteFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeftWriteFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Daktari

Is it bad art or art you just don't like?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I love tinkering with found items and will add them to my artistic endeavors. I'm sure others would just look at it and wonder why someone stuck junk in there, but it's kind of cool to me.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
LeftWriteFemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Daddy's good girl

Thanked 12,325 Times in 5,198 Posts
LeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
Is it bad art or art you just don't like?

If I like it does that make it GOOD art?
Please take a look at my work
Click on flashing smilie to see my website

To look at my Daddy/girl erotica book Click on pompom girl to see Elbows on the Table, Palms Flat
LeftWriteFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I think so.

Art is everywhere and if it's pleasing to you, then it is good art.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWriteFemme View Post
If I like it does that make it GOOD art?
No!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

<--- "This is Art"

(i have a t-shirt that says that)

My opinion:

Art is art regardless of whether it is appreciated or not.

Art is art whether you/I/she or he deems it good or bad.

Art is sometimes art (or becomes art) despite not being created with that intent or for that purpose, despite the fact that most standard dictionaries define it as the product of an intentional act of creation.

Leo Tolstoy wrote an essay in 1896, I agree with many of his points, here is a decent summation snipped

"Leo Tolstoy’s What is Art? (1896) is a treatise concerning the nature and purpose of art, describing how art can express moral values. Tolstoy does not define art in terms of its ability to express form and beauty, but instead defines art in terms of its ability to communicate concepts of morality. For Tolstoy, aesthetic values are defined by moral values.

According to Tolstoy, art cannot be defined as an activity which produces beauty. Beauty cannot be defined objectively, and therefore cannot be used as a criterion to define what is, or is not, art. The aim of art is not merely to produce beauty, or to provide pleasure, enjoyment, or entertainment. Art is a means of communication, and is an important means of expression of any experience, or of any aspect of the human condition.

Tolstoy defines art as an expression of a feeling or experience in such a way that the audience to whom the art is directed can share that feeling or experience. Art does not belong to any particular class of society. To limit the subject matter of art to the experiences of a particular class of society is to deny that art can be important for all of society. Tolstoy criticizes the belief that art is only relevant to a particular class of society, saying that this is a misconception which can lead to obscurity and decadence in art.

According to Tolstoy, good art is intelligible and comprehensible. Bad art is unintelligible and incomprehensible. The more that art restricts itself to a particular audience, the more obscure and incomprehensible it becomes to people outside that particular audience. Good art is not confusing and incomprehensible to most people. To the contrary, good art can communicate its meaning to most people, because it expresses its meaning in a way which can be understood by everyone."
Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Love your poll ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWriteFemme View Post
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder; is appreciation in the heart of the appreciator?

Please tell me your secret art preferences......I promise not to tell a soul!

Oh, and please take the poll!

Only an Outsider Artist can raise a poll like this

I do have a velvet tiger from a journey to Tijuna, in the garage now~beside Elvis--->

Art is .~..subscribing so I can post later.

My car is ready. with the bill.....
No, my car doesn't have a bil
l.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,560 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Red face One preference!

http://www.museumofbadart.org/

it is all relative to me
Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
AlphaDrug

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Fresh Meat

AlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST ReputationAlphaDrug Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a HUGE Salvidor Dali fan, I even have a clock melting in my kitchen. ^_^
No day but today!"
AlphaDrug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaDrug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,161 Times in 1,793 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with some previous comments here.

Art is just that Art. I think Art definitely is one of those things where the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are no standards of what constitutes art and what doesn't.

I have some pretty out there pieces in my home that I know a lot of people don't "get" or appreciate but to me they resonate and I connect with them. So while they are in no way shape or form mainstream I consider them beautiful pieces.
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

I am of two minds on the subject.

In the first place, this quote from Thomas Kinkade makes me feel quite stabby:

There's been million-seller books and million-seller CDs. But there hasn't been, until now, million-seller art. We have found a way to bring to millions of people, an art that they can understand.

On the other hand, having been through a very formal fine arts conservatory program, it was my experience that art which is considered "capital "a" Art," as in the Fine Art that makes it into NYC galleries and the Venice Biennale, is largely unintelligible to 99.99% of the population.

Art that only makes sense to people who have been through very formal fine arts conservatory programs also makes me feel stabby

i don't like the pandering Thomas Kinkade does, but i don't like that ivory tower crap either.

ETA: all of my toys are in dioramas. the most awesomely ridiculous being the three cabbage patch kids sitting naked in a galvanized tub, up to their chins in bubbles painstakingly cut from an entire roll of bubblewrap
Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I confess I LIKED some of the art in the Museum of Bad Art link!

The problem with art, music, literature is, of course, that someone's trash is another's treasure. How do you define "bad"-that it doesn't follow the rules of how to draw, uses the "wrong" colors, or is just weird? Picasso was weird for his time, and obviously has many fans today.

Same with literature and music-what's cutting edge at one time was probably labeled bad, immoral, or both.

In the eye of the beholder, and all that
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,260 Times in 1,363 Posts
deb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputation

I am guilty of owning 'bad' art.
I have older tapestries of dogs playing poker and billards. I have a bronze mermaid lamp, her nipples light, too. I have a large spoon and fork hanging in my kitchen, present from a friends grandma.
I have a few cheese pieces around the house.
deb_U_taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation

Is any art bad? Isn't "bad art" an oxymoron?

Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

Is it a question of being good or bad art or just if it is
ART?

I mean some stuff..u just have to wonder.....
many years ago when my one daughter was aobut 5 we went to this gallery opening and there in the corner was about 30 computer monitors..in a pile....
my daughter says oh mommy look at the mess......the artist got kind of upset, seems it was an installation.....(I was the one writing the review on it for a local paper)....and quoted my daughter....

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I believe art is as well......
My style taste,,,is different than yours..thank goodness there are different forms, types and genres of it so we all can hang what we think is wonderful and beautiful on our walls..or in my case...put on my lawn.....
Dont get art cause u think it is what u are supposed to like...then it truly is bad art..cause it is inhibiting your self excpression throu the style of art you truly love.

Last edited by Dean Thoreau; 08-24-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: the typos i could find
Dean Thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Thoreau For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby View Post
I have older tapestries of dogs playing poker and billards. I have a bronze mermaid lamp, her nipples light, too. I have a large spoon and fork hanging in my kitchen
Old 08-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

Debby!!! I love those giant forks and spoons..I saw some at Pier one the other day....jen and I both wanted them actually if they go on sale they will probably be in our kitchen....I dont like to pay full price.......I keep hoping one of the auctions i go to will have some.....
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
T4Texas

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Ready to play again!

T4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think theres any such thing as bad art. Even stick people constitute art as seen on the back windows of so many cars today expressing the numbers and types of family members that ride in them. You can have ten people looking at a painting and they will all give you a different critique of it. Art is whatever moves you, really moves you. Touches a place inside you, makes you want to cry, or makes you think "that's so cool I want to hang it on my wall". That's art.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

If all I could draw was stick figures, it would be MY art and I'd think it to be good no matter what others thought or think.

Basically, if I create it and call it ART, it's art
It is as you say, my eye of beauty
Besides, art can take on many forms

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:

Tags
art, bad art, personal taste, poll, velvet elvis