Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #441
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

OMG!

Amazonian claw-handed goddess ran on the treadmill next to me tonight! My head ALMOST reaches her shoulders.

And she runs at 6.4 mph.

And she barely breaks a sweat, except on her shoulders, which are always bare.

And she still made it look super easy.

Bitch.

BUT

I kept up with her tonight.

Sort of.

Sometimes.

I ran intervals between 1-3 minutes and when I was actually running, I kept up with her, step for step (though my speed was usually slower than hers). The rest of the time, I was just trying not to pass out.

It felt rough tonight, fellow exercisers. So I didn't push too too hard but I didn't slack on myself either. I slowed down or stopped when it felt like I just couldn't continue at that speed or intensity but kept pushing through my preset time.

Completely ignoring Kelt's statistics because they would annoy me now.....I burned 413 calories and walked/ran almost 4 miles in 60 minutes. I also did some light ab work and stretching afterwards, which totally makes up for any discrepancy in the reading.

*smug*

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #442
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My exercise experience today completely SUCKED.

Mostly because it didn't happen at all.

Nor is it likely to for a while. It finally happened, after three years of daily beach walking, I finally hurt myself. I have kept going through a lot of things like chronic pain, epic blisters, nasty weather, and a bunch of other crap I can't really think of right now.

This one has stopped me in my tracks. Mean little fucker. I have had systemic problems with tendons in various body parts for years now, but this one is a place that has me more screwed than usual. The top of my ankle, and it keeps me from being able to pick my foot up. Seems it is called the anterior tibial tendon.

I don't really know how bad it is beyond the pain, but I do know to respect soft tissue injuries, they take forever to heal. I figured out how to deal with planters fasciitis in the bottoms of both feet, but this is the opposite. Still trying to puzzle it out. I almost went out to do some testing this morning, but thought better of it. Then just trying to do laundry put me back in my place.

Oy vey!

I think I can be okay in a gym, as long as I stay away from the cardio stuff. I am not sure however, about swimming with all that kicking. (pointing toes is a no-no)

I am tempted to just move up my timetable for starting the gym, but I have a road trip coming up and hate to pay membership fees for something I am not using while I am gone.

Bother, I hate being around me when I'm all pissy like this.

Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #443
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Oh, no, Kelt! Innjuries are the worst! And they happen just-like-that and do throw us for an unwanted loop!

I vote for gym, Kelt. You can do a great back stroke without moving your feet at all, and that's great cardio. Take advantage of the weightlessness of water for your ankle, and the resistance it provides for your arm strokes. You can also do front crawl by swimming with a kickboard under your thighs and not kicking at all (can use the kickboard in same way when on your back if you need it). Just using arms will have you working hard! Also, on the gym floor, there's a guy in a wheelchair with a prosthetic leg, and he does his cardio by going to the machine where you essentially bike using your hands. Where there's a will there's a way! Or you could take a rest. But I think you are like me, and having to go a day without play is no treat! Many years ago when I broke my foot and went a few months without leaving my 4th floor apartment, I was also careful to eat mostly all homemade healthy and less because without movement it's hard on the body, especially when we're used to so much movement. Keep us posted, and I hope that things improve soon! My mood plummets when I get an injury, and you just gotta know that things will get better.

Today at the gym I did 140 minutes on the Arc Trainer, Interval program (drank a full liter of water during that!). While doing cardio, I watched the Real Housewives of Orange County go skiing in Whistler, Canada. Then I did 40 minutes of abs, stretching, yoga, and weight lifting. It all left me feeling fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
My exercise experience today completely SUCKED.

Mostly because it didn't happen at all.

Nor is it likely to for a while. It finally happened, after three years of daily beach walking, I finally hurt myself. I have kept going through a lot of things like chronic pain, epic blisters, nasty weather, and a bunch of other crap I can't really think of right now.

This one has stopped me in my tracks. Mean little fucker. I have had systemic problems with tendons in various body parts for years now, but this one is a place that has me more screwed than usual. The top of my ankle, and it keeps me from being able to pick my foot up. Seems it is called the anterior tibial tendon.

I don't really know how bad it is beyond the pain, but I do know to respect soft tissue injuries, they take forever to heal. I figured out how to deal with planters fasciitis in the bottoms of both feet, but this is the opposite. Still trying to puzzle it out. I almost went out to do some testing this morning, but thought better of it. Then just trying to do laundry put me back in my place.

Oy vey!

I think I can be okay in a gym, as long as I stay away from the cardio stuff. I am not sure however, about swimming with all that kicking. (pointing toes is a no-no)

I am tempted to just move up my timetable for starting the gym, but I have a road trip coming up and hate to pay membership fees for something I am not using while I am gone.

Bother, I hate being around me when I'm all pissy like this.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #444
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Oh, no, Kelt! Innjuries are the worst! And they happen just-like-that and do throw us for an unwanted loop!

I vote for gym, Kelt. You can do a great back stroke without moving your feet at all, and that's great cardio. Take advantage of the weightlessness of water for your ankle, and the resistance it provides for your arm strokes. You can also do front crawl by swimming with a kickboard under your thighs and not kicking at all (can use the kickboard in same way when on your back if you need it). Just using arms will have you working hard! Also, on the gym floor, there's a guy in a wheelchair with a prosthetic leg, and he does his cardio by going to the machine where you essentially bike using your hands. Where there's a will there's a way! Or you could take a rest. But I think you are like me, and having to go a day without play is no treat! Many years ago when I broke my foot and went a few months without leaving my 4th floor apartment, I was also careful to eat mostly all homemade healthy and less because without movement it's hard on the body, especially when we're used to so much movement. Keep us posted, and I hope that things improve soon! My mood plummets when I get an injury, and you just gotta know that things will get better.

Today at the gym I did 140 minutes on the Arc Trainer, Interval program (drank a full liter of water during that!). While doing cardio, I watched the Real Housewives of Orange County go skiing in Whistler, Canada. Then I did 40 minutes of abs, stretching, yoga, and weight lifting. It all left me feeling fantastic.
Thank you for the ideas!

Yes, one day cabin fever = cranky pants.

Trying to run errands this morning *snort* I stopped by the thrift store and picked up some gym togs, gotta do something. (that was all kinds of fun, using a cart as a walker)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #445
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Also, Kelt, if you decide to lift weights at home or at the gym, make sure to do so sitting down so that you don't have any pressure that could affect that ankle. I agree with you that healing needs to be the utmost priority.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #446
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 8,586 Times in 1,857 Posts
Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

Okay so I'm pre-posting to make myself go to the gym tomorrow.

I really enjoyed the virtual race I did last week!
(Thanks Alexri and Gemme for the inspiration.)

Somewhere on this thread or the healthy weight loss thread I found a link to Sparkpeople. And guess what? They have weekly virtual races!

So I signed up for another 5k. I am planning to do the first leg of it tomorrow.
Mopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #447
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Mopsie, I'm so proud of you! Way to go, girl!

Kelt, I feel your pain. Not quite literally, but near enough to really make me wince. I, too, am experiencing something that may or may not resemble an injury. Or a pre-injury.

Basically, it's something I am taking very seriously even though I don't know what it is. The past few days I've had some weird soreness in my lower legs (not really my calves but not my shins but in between somewhere deep in the muscle). Mainly the left leg but today's it's been the right as well.

Alex and I have talked about it a little bit, since he's a former volunteer EMT and runs a lot, and we've come up with some options to see if that helps and we'll progress from there because I don't go to the doctor unless I'm dying or bleeding excessively from some orifice or I think I'm dying because I'm bleeding excessively from some orifice.

Alex took me to his running store in Providence (shout out for Rhode Runner) and they assessed my gait (I over pronate!) and fitted me properly for new shoes. So I have some lovely shoes that I now have to break in (but not at the gym according to Alex.....the first few wears of new shoes sets the fit and he recommended I walk somewhere where my gait would be the most 'normal' so I may be breaking them in at at the mall with its even, smooth walking surface and not stopping and starting and running on a piece of equipment) and that cost what feels like a fortune to me.

Did I mention I'm a cheapass when it comes to a lot of things?

So, I have new shoes because my old ones....which still look okay to the naked eye and aren't even really dirty.....are several years old and even though I ONLY wore them for gym activities, they have probably surpassed more than 500 miles on them over the years. Not to mention that when I pulled them out this last time, they were a little tight. Seems my feet got nice and plump this time around with the weight gain. They're wide normally but now I have new calluses developing and these suckers are a bit on the painful side.

So, that's change number one. I'll be looking at replacing my work shoes too, as I wear sneaks there too and it feels like those are beyond their proper usage as well.

Then, since my legs felt pretty bad today (I've been on my feet and moving ALL DAY with only a break for brunch and a shower and finally dinner....my poor tootsies!), he loaned me his compression sleeves to wear for a couple of hours and they seem to be helping. I may have to borrow them until I can get a pair of my own. Those suckers are expensive....to me....too.

BUT

I can only be a cheapass about cheapass stuff. My gear and my legs are mondo importante and I had to suck up and just do the damn thing.

For the record, today's been a good day for me regarding health. Despite working out regularly now and eating better, I really put off anything else related to health (I know....bad me!) so I'm working on that. Today I also got 'scripts in for new glasses and sunglasses. I just *might* be able to read the fine print on food bottles now. Probably not, as it's in -5 font, but maybe.

I did get in a workout this morning, though. I did the treadmill and some running intervals until it just really didn't feel right, so I walked the rest out and finished with some circuit training, ab work and stretching.

I think I don't like the weekend warriors so much at this gym. I saw two people....within minutes of one another....go from machine to machine without wiping them down. Big issue for me. In WA, I was getting sick and when I felt better I would go back to working out and then get sick again. I finally figured it out. If I wiped down each machine before I got on it, I got sick less. Actually, not at all after that. Sharing is caring and all that, but I don't want your nasty sweat, buddy. Promise.

So that's my day in a nutshell. A big nutshell, but a nutshell nonetheless.

P to the S~Am I the only one in absolute complete AWE of the dedication and stamina that Jennifer has??? OMG, girl. Kudos to you!

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 07-13-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #448
Daktari

Default Or!....

Save yer money Kelt and invest (less money than an ongoing gym membership) in a triceps bar and some weights. The idea behind the triceps bar is that it gives multi hand positions for different exercises.

Or...

You can do a light upper body work-out with little to no kit. It's possible to do cheat press-ups from your knees. Triceps presses on a chair/bench. Flyes - for chest and shoulders can performed sitting, holding onto things like food cans/bags of sugar etc.

When I'm being obsessive about exercise then it's harder than ever to have an enforced lay-off. The lesson for me is balance.

Yesterday's exercise...I've not even poked my nose out of the door yet today...was...now I've calculated it properly on google maps...roughly 12miles return cycle trip down the coast to visit with friends. There was a headwind on the return but it still didn't feel like too much effort was expended sadly. M'poor shoulders and wrists are struggling to cycle right now so I'm a little reluctant to take a longer trip, although, on the other hand, maybe that's what they need

Wishing ya'll a super day moving yer body around.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #449
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

<Gemme's long ass post>

No, you are not the only one in awe of Jennifer. She freaks me out. Seriously, I woke up this morning thinking about her. I don't think she's normal. She's super human physically being able to go that long on cardio and super human psychologically and/or fucked up being to go that long without wanting to shoot herself in the head. I am going to go with super human because it freaks me out less. (Kelt of course is a total freak as well...)

Anyway.....I am glad that you listened to Alex/people at store and accepted how important good shoes are. It is hard to spend that kind of cash and honestly, since I do the eliptical only and not the treadmill, I picked up some cheap(er) Nikes. When I played sports I put out the money. If you are on your feet during the day you SO need good shoes. They say that can make an incredible difference in fatigue.

So, like Mopsie, I am going to say out loud that I am going to work out today. I got behind and let it go this past week. I actually did better when I was down at the beach the week before. In fact, I felt a need to take a picture of the front of my soaked shirt and texted it to people with the question, "And how hard did you work out today?" 'Cause I'm funny like that. My friend texted back, "Please, you know you sweat just walking outside". Which is SO true....haha

I get jammed up with exercise because I am just not a morning person, which means I do my workout after work. If I have something going on in the evenings (which I did several days this past week), I don't work out that day. I don't have an excuse for not working out after coming home from said activity (I do have an eliptical at home, too), I just don't like working out after dinner. Anyway, I need to shut the hell up with excuses and become disciplined like that crazy Jennifer....

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #450
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Wait a minute...

... I did spend 3 hours detailing the exterior of my car yesterday, so that was movement/exercise. Being that I am sore from the twists and contorting of my body, it certainly did something for my body. Today should be another 1.5 hours on the outside of the car because I didn't get all of it done. I am going to work out first, or otherwise I may talk myself out of the gym.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #451
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Most of the exercise I get is from walking...yesterday I met a friend at this HUGE mall near where I work. Wish I'd been wearing my pedometer but think I walked at least 1.5 miles and my legs and back are telling me all about it this morning. Thank the Goddess for my Shiatsu chair massager thing...LOL

I confess that I haven't read much in this thread, so please indulge and forgive me if this topic has already been dicussed...is anyone doing any body sculpting? I need to tone, tighten and strengthen and want more definition to my body - get my hourglass back if you will. I love having those curves.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #452
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Save yer money Kelt and invest (less money than an ongoing gym membership) in a triceps bar and some weights. The idea behind the triceps bar is that it gives multi hand positions for different exercises.

Or...

You can do a light upper body work-out with little to no kit. It's possible to do cheat press-ups from your knees. Triceps presses on a chair/bench. Flyes - for chest and shoulders can performed sitting, holding onto things like food cans/bags of sugar etc.

When I'm being obsessive about exercise then it's harder than ever to have an enforced lay-off. The lesson for me is balance.

Yesterday's exercise...I've not even poked my nose out of the door yet today...was...now I've calculated it properly on google maps...roughly 12miles return cycle trip down the coast to visit with friends. There was a headwind on the return but it still didn't feel like too much effort was expended sadly. M'poor shoulders and wrists are struggling to cycle right now so I'm a little reluctant to take a longer trip, although, on the other hand, maybe that's what they need

Wishing ya'll a super day moving yer body around.
I completely agree with you about working out at home with minimal equipment. Regrettably, my body isn't on the same plan. I am unable to pick up and manage free weights with some of the orthopedic conditions I am dealing with. This is why the routine I have been doing has had a fairly limited range of motions and was something I could do entirely upright. The result is that I am now a classic case of "chronic cardio". That is not to say there isn't a way to do this.

I have a very specific set of outcomes in mind that plans for an exit strategy from the gym and transitioning into my home. The end goal will be to do full body weight exercises as part of a revised maintenance routine. In the gym I will be using the equipment that most closely mimics free weights/bodyweight. The reason for going to a gym is that I am just not strong enough to do the things that I want to do at home and need to gain some muscle in an assisted way.

There will be a series of checks and balances built into it so that I should be able to retain my gains from the gym. I have an annoying tendency to reverse engineer everything, and this is just one more example.

<<< Soon...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #453
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I took a professional development class last week so I couldn't get to water aerobics so I decided to try the early morning exercise classes. Part of my motivation was to check out whether I'd be able to keep going to the gym once the school year starts.

In order to make this work, I packed breakfast and lunch and iced coffee, which Pete made for me after she did the dishes the night before. I mostly wore gym clothes to my class, though I won't be able to do that once school starts, and I'll have way less driving but I can't figure out when I'll eat breakfast. I felt like all we did all week was cook and wash dishes. I did remind myself that plenty of families focus on taking care of their families and their homes.

Without torturing you with many more details, I'll just report that on MWF, I went to a stretch class, 5:30 - 6 am and a group weightlifting class, 6 - 7 am. On T/Th, I took a core class, 5 - 6:30 am. My next goal is to add cardio to my workout.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #454
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Very hot, sweaty, fun, therapeutic bike ride with my best friend.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #455
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
... I did spend 3 hours detailing the exterior of my car yesterday, so that was movement/exercise. Being that I am sore from the twists and contorting of my body, it certainly did something for my body. Today should be another 1.5 hours on the outside of the car because I didn't get all of it done. I am going to work out first, or otherwise I may talk myself out of the gym.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

I was wondering what to do with my gimpy self today. This meets the criteria;

1) Burns off some physical energy
2) Outdoors
3) Doesn't require much walking

Bonus round = clean car

Although I won't take it to this level, it fits the bill.

Thanks Dapper!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #456
alexri

How Do You Identify?:
-

Thanked 2,799 Times in 468 Posts
alexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputation

Yuppers on the shoe discussions.

If you are doing regular walking/small distance charity events, regular walking shoes like New Balance are fine. But if you are getting into seriously regularly doing running, lots of walking, or race walking, then yes, one should invest in properly fitted running shoes.

As a coach we even tell our half and full marathon walkers to side to running shoes because they are built with more support and cushioning for the long distance events. The discount stores/mall chains just don't know how to properly pick the right shoe for someone, and it might even be a trial and error process at the local running store to find the right shoe. Price and looks should not be the two top reasons you get a running shoe. Better to spend the money now on a better shoe than at the podiatrist's office. The staff at my local running store are runners, and actual half and full marathon winners. They know what they are talking about, and if the shoe you got turns out to not be right, they take them back up to 30 days for credit and then re-size you. Now once I find the pair I like, I may order extras online for cheaper, and often to get Southwest rewards points through their mall.

And yes our feet change sizes for several reasons. When I started running and race walking years ago I was size 8.5. I am now a size 10. So every year or every other year you might even find that you need to be re-sized and re-checked for a change in your gait. Most running shoes will last 300-500 miles (lots of factors in this, including the surface you train on, your weight, etc). I tend to rotate pairs, especially if I am doing two races in one weekend. And my race shoes are for racing/training only, they're not the around-the-house shoes or work shoes. Once they are retired from racing, they become yardwork shoes, or they get recycled at any Nike store or outlet (they'll take any brand of exercise shoes and recycle them).

Yesterday was an exercise rest day. Today was 9 fluffy bunny miles (the term many of us use when we're putting in low/no extra effort) to get acclimated to the heat and humidity here. I've barely raced this year and I want to pick up some more really good local events.

Racing is a very addictive, and can be a very expensive hobby, but if you manage it right, you can do a lot of events for very cheap. There are two local race directors that will give you a free entry for their events if you volunteer at another one. I am looking to do that. I've got two freebies for next year so far.
alexri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alexri For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #457
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

I made it to the gym today! Woot!

I walked 1.1 miles in 44 minutes.

That is two and a half minutes slower than last time. *frustrated*

I had to keep reminding myself that I was following doctors orders. My asthma has been bothering me for several days. When I talked with my doctor about working out and my asthma she advised me to walk slower for longer. It keeps me from having an asthma attack. BUT the competitive side of me has a little tantrum every time!

And now, in my post workout glow, I'm feeling good.

Thanks for the support everyone - it really helps!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #458
alexri

How Do You Identify?:
-

Thanked 2,799 Times in 468 Posts
alexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputation

Nothing wrong with walking, or walking slowly!

The female world record holder for the most marathons in a year is a walker. Just sayin.'
alexri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alexri For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #459
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Heading to the gym now. Going to get some weights in before my friend comes to meet me to eliptical together. Then beer drinking! ha!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #460
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

I was wondering what to do with my gimpy self today. This meets the criteria;

1) Burns off some physical energy
2) Outdoors
3) Doesn't require much walking

Bonus round = clean car

Although I won't take it to this level, it fits the bill.

Thanks Dapper!

So how did the car cleaning exercise go?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:

Tags
exercise, weights