Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 02-14-2014, 04:14 AM   #41
fatallyblonde

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her

fatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputation

I have to be very careful with things like this as it risks triggering my eating disorder. In fact I ended up having to skip reading most of this stuff as I started to feel anxious. In pursuit of a fictional state of 'utopian health' I really put my body and mind through the ringer with crazy, obsessive habits and unrealistic goals. Then, for a whole mix of reasons including this unhealthy behaviour and an abusive rship, I had a nervous breakdown and ended up bingeing my way to a body I cannot be at peace with. Not that I was at peace with my skinny body *eyeroll* but at least I fit into my clothes!
These days I try and take a balanced and gentler approach and not try to be so 'perfect'... so deprivation diets are right out...
mainly:

- 2 litres of water a day
- try to get early bed and earlyish rise... a good 8 hours of sleep, always
- lay off the booze and barbiturates
- multi-v every day (I used to be supplement crazy... ugh)
- try and move my body a lot through a variety of gentle exercise (I damaged my knees and ankles through lots of high impact cardio) that is still challenging but also fun
- lots of fruit and veggies
- avoid stressful people and situations
- creative outlets I can enjoy
- breaking down housework into small tasks divided into different days
- laughing a lot!!! always looking for funny things to enjoy
fatallyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #42
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Whew, this thread got dusty!

I just completed binge watching a four part Netflix documentary series "Cooked".

Based on the recent book from Michael Pollan of the same title. He is known for writing the Omnivores Dilemma, In Defense of Food, along with several other books and many documentary appearances on the subject of whole food, I thought it was fantastic. Taking a look through the lenses of history, culture, and science at what food means and how/why we cook was completely absorbing. It is aproached through the elements of fire, water, air, and earth.

I have watched and read everything I could find about food/culture/processing and the horrible state of what we call food in western culture for about a decade and have settled on similar ideas as this fellow.

"Eat good food. Not too much. Mostly plants." - Micheal Pollan

I'll put the trailer here, but **vegetarians/vegans beware**, beyond this point, there be some meat.

As an aside: I was a vegetarian for 12 years and found that for myself I feel and perform better with some, small, servings of consciously chosen and sourced animal proteins. Every person is different and there is no 'one size fits all'. That said, I find myself aligning with this journalists findings as an omnivore and hope that others enjoy it as well.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #43
girlin2une

How Do You Identify?:
submissive queer stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

Thanked 3,844 Times in 856 Posts
girlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Whew, this thread got dusty!

I just completed binge watching a four part Netflix documentary series "Cooked".
Have you watched the documentary "Forks over Knives" on Netflix?
I highly recommend it.

I have ceased eating meat but do eat a very healthy, organic, plant based and whole food diet. It is working for me.

I respect the personal choices that people make regarding food, but I know that I am doing what is right for me.
girlin2une is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girlin2une For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #44
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlin2une View Post
Have you watched the documentary "Forks over Knives" on Netflix?
I highly recommend it.

I have ceased eating meat but do eat a very healthy, organic, plant based and whole food diet. It is working for me.

I respect the personal choices that people make regarding food, but I know that I am doing what is right for me.
I've seen it twice and completely agree that I will not participate in factory farming or the products from it.

There was an earlier documentary from 2005 that really brought it home for me called "Our Daily Bread", also on Netflix and now Youtube. It is what really started me researching. I won't post the trailer because it's too horrible. Here is the link to the film for anyone with the stomach for it. >link Something like Forks Over Knives is geared more for western audiences.

For myself it's about carefully investigating clean sources, being willing to put my money where my mouth is, and avoiding cruelty. I've spent over a decade experimenting and finding what works for me and my own health and settled in as a "gentle omnivore".

I would recommend that if you are interested in watching the series, you skip the "Fire" segment and focus on the "Air", a fascinating look at bread and grains, as well as "Earth" which focuses on fermentation. I was also careful to post a warning to those who I thought might take offense, specifying vegetarians/vegans. It sounds like this series might not be for you.

I fully respect your choice not to ingest animal protein and am glad it works for you, each person is different and responds differently to their chosen diet. I also respect those from other cultures and tastes that might not align with my own.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #45
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

Nutritionfacts.org

Interesting site if you enjoy science and want to look behind the curtain. It's been around a couple of years, but I just tripped over it. The Dr has a dry sense of humor which I enjoy, though it might rub others.

Vegan/vegetarian safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #46
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,352 Times in 862 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
My healthy lifestyle habits are:

Plenty of water - filtered or carbonated mineral water.
A balanced diet.
Fresh juice.
Organic green tea.
Dark chocolate.
Yoga.
Light cardio - sweating.
Sleep at least 6 hours.
Good quality vitamins.
Occasional dairy, red meat, sweets, and sodium.

Also...Positive friendships and relationships, being mindful, forgiving, and not holding on to grudges.
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #47
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i am not the best one at taking care of myself but i have been enjoying the Keto way of eating for a couple of months now.

nothing processed
no carbs.. or less than 20 per day
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #48
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation
Question 40 trendy diets evaluated

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/best-diet/search

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #49
Amulette

How Do You Identify?:
Ma chérie, a sweet thing.
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine
Relationship Status:
Following the scent of flowers.

Amulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST Reputation
Default Food as medicine

I like this short video because it shows how you can use food items we have in the kitchen as medicine. Bonus, it tastes like a treat!

Black sesame seeds can be purchased online or at Asian food stores. This video also shows Goji berries used in a true cultural context, as a medicine that is also a food. It is in theory like taking a vitamin. Not the A,B,C,D,E variety but as in deeply nourishing and building. I would eat 1-2/day. These balls can be a good food therapy option for people who do not eat red meat also for Vegans.

Amulette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Amulette For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #50
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,318 Times in 506 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation
Default Healthy Mind & Body

It's being around people I love. I'm trying to stay away from fastfood which is hard when you are on the road. I camp by the beach, and stay reminded who's the real boss in this world...I love you mothe nature..yes,I love you too, honey.

Ahh,love.
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuff Stuff For This Useful Post:

Tags
change, habits, health