Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 06-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #81
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default My 16 month progress report and notes

It was back in March of 2018 that I consciously made the decision to stop consuming any food products which elevate a person's natural blood sugar levels. I stopped eating any dairy products; I stopped eating bread products; I stopped eating certain rice and pasta products; because the aforementioned food product choices were elevating my blood sugars, due to mobility issues I have faced since November of 2016.

At any rate, since excising dairy, bread, rice and pasta and any food that converts readily into sugar (glucose) in the blood stream, and sticking to a Whole Foods and Plant Based Diet, I have lost over 75 pounds since March of 2018. At first I lost nearly ten pounds per month. But nearly a year later, after my body acclimated to the Whole Foods Plant Based Diet, I still find I am losing weight slowly -- just not as rapidly as in the beginning, when I first decided to not partake of foods that put my health at greater risk for diabetes.

I still take half a tiny tablet of Glipizide, as well as Losartan (for blood pressure). I also take an prescription strength dose of Vitamin D (10K units, once per day).

My physical transformation has really impressed close friends. So much so, that my sister-in-law now buys the quarterly Forks Over Knives magazine, which teaches people how to cook delicious meals, which some recipes take less than an hour to make - others, like say, making your own nut milk or nut based yogurt or such, take a couple of days to produce. Overall, it's a healthier way to consume plants and plant-based food products with relative ease of time and cost. Investing in ones own health is a rewarding process because you eventually see positive physical results which stays with you as long as you daily commit to put your health first.

I was just sitting here, watching The Marvelous Mrs Maisel episodes on my sister-in-law's TV, and browsing the latest issue of Forks Over Knives Magazine and there are some awesome easy-to-make, do-it-yourself recipes for breakfast or dinner or even for a take-to-work lunch. Which definitely saves you time and money because who can get a fabulous lunch or dinner on quick notice, when you might not have a lot of time to dine out or go get take-out?

Here are some of the recent menu ideas I found for breakfast bowls: Quinoa with chocolate and freshly slices pears; Tamale-in-a-bowl (polenta or grits with avocado, fresh salsa and black beans); I Heart Cherries (hot kasha cereal with hemp hearts and frozen cherries and a splash of almond milk); Oatmeal Lemon pancakes with Raspberry Date syrup; Banana Buckwheat pancakes with blueberries and other sliced fresh fruit toppings; Sweet Potato Pancakes with Strawberry Gazpacho sauce.

Here are some dinner menu ideas: Quinoa Burrito Bowls with Strawberry Salsa; Buffalo Cauliflower Pockets; Sweet Corn Tostadas; Chana Gobi soup (which is Hindi for chickpeas and cauliflower) spiced with Indian spice blends that they teach you how to make; Thai Spring Noodle Soup; Middle Eastern Quinoa Bowls with Vegetables; Spinach Apricot Salad with Spiced Lentils; and... Cauliflower and Black Bean Burritos -- which I want to pair off with a homemade Peach & Pear Chutney.

Anyhoooo…… my sister-in-law and I take turns buying the latest issue of "Forks Over Knives" magazine, but what I want to do - and it's on my wish list- is to buy the cookbook. Both the quarterly magazine edition and the cookbook has awesome recipes and photos of what each meal looks like. I buy the magazine at a local book seller that has the best price (sometimes it's Barns and Noble, sometimes I find a good price at Powell's).

Here's to better health and wellness for all,
Cheers

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #82
Amulette

How Do You Identify?:
Ma chérie, a sweet thing.
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine
Relationship Status:
Following the scent of flowers.

Amulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST Reputation
Default How to Flavor Kombucha

I never found myself attracted to Kombucha until a friend brought over a big bottle to share. My first thought was BLEH another good for you moldy thing. Once I got over that it was really quite refreshing and I do like bubbly things. Actually it tasted really good. Making it is all the rage and I do believe I will try it. Especially if I can do it with herbs and things, I find that a bit exciting. *twinkles*

Amulette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amulette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #83
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Responding to Amulette

Hi there,

I cannot advocate any Kombucha product (home made or commercially made) because I had an allergic reaction to it, which landed me in the hospital.

I know it's branded as a health product that is saturated with probiotic potential, but there isn't any way I'd ever advocate utilizing this type of food product for any way to improve ones health. It didn't improve mine, at all.

My doctor explained further to me, once I recovered and followed up by seeing her after being hospitalized, that Kombucha is primarily made from fermented yeast, sugar and it basically not a stable product to consume for health purposes. I've even done my own random research about this type of health drink and it's got mixed reviews not only by consumers who have used it, but also by the medical community (western based or naturopath based practitioners) who are highly reluctant to put any official seal of approval on it because side effects can range from severe reactions to basically harmless but with no real way to measure toxic side effects among humans who consume this so-called health product.

I appreciate the post you made, but consuming Kombucha will not be something I ever consume -- for my own health.

Thanks again for your post,

K.

_____ ______
Old 07-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #84
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,723 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I've never had Kombucha (but certainly know of it), but your story reminded me of a natural health trend that I had a bad reaction to many years ago which was goji berries! I started having them every morning and getting bad stomach cramping, and it took me awhile to figure out that it was the goji berries! Then recently I took iron supplements because I had my iron tested as part of my physical and it came out low, so I thought I could correct it with supplements. I never knew how dangerous it is to get too much iron until the excess supplements made my level too high, and I got quite sick for a long time. Health is a complicated beast!

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #85
Amulette

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine
Relationship Status:

Amulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
I've never had Kombucha (but certainly know of it), but your story reminded me of a natural health trend that I had a bad reaction to many years ago which was goji berries! I started having them every morning and getting bad stomach cramping, and it took me awhile to figure out that it was the goji berries! Then recently I took iron supplements because I had my iron tested as part of my physical and it came out low, so I thought I could correct it with supplements. I never knew how dangerous it is to get too much iron until the excess supplements made my level too high, and I got quite sick for a long time. Health is a complicated beast!
I agree it is complicated, and there are so many opinions about what is best. It's good that you listen to your body, I'm coming to believe that is the most reliable source. I hope you are all past the iron adventure and that you feel really good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Amulette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #86
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
I once had a client who tried to convince me that Goji berries was helping her to lose weight (It was a major ingredient in some health care scheme business, she was involved in), but she had a massive rash all over her face and down her arms. She was experiencing a distressing health reaction to the Goji berries, but it never occurred to her that eating them was causing her allergic reaction. She eventually ended up in the hospital. Weeks later when I saw her, she told me how it scared her so much and that it was like a wake-up call, like placing a reality check on her situation.

I have to say, had I not ended up in the hospital due to the allergic reaction to Kombucha, I would not have believed it could make me so sick.

I'm really glad you've recovered from the iron supplement thing. I was worried for you, due to stuff like that happening to me too.

You're so right tho, health is a complicated beast!

_____ ______
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #87
ksrainbow

How Do You Identify?:
Valued

Thanked 2,149 Times in 561 Posts
ksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hue'l ...

I was introduced to this supplement mixed with almond and then coconut milk as a daily meal supplement. I was given a 7 day meal trial and am not certain I can commit to the cost. Overall I liked the taste and result of being *full*.

Have any of you tried it and if so may I ask for your experiences pro/con?

Ks-

Last edited by ksrainbow; 07-19-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: clarification
ksrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksrainbow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #88
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrainbow View Post
I was introduced to this supplement mixed with almond and then coconut milk as a daily meal supplement. I was given a 7 meal trial and am not certain I can commit to the cost. Overall I liked the taste and result of being *full*.

Have any of you tried it and if so may I ask for your experiences pro/con?

Ks-
I created this forum thread as a way for me to document my recovery process, in addressing my own diabetic concerns, since my work related accident back in November of 2016. I never created this thread as a forum thread where people could ask for advice about foods or such. It's mainly my own personal thread and about my own health recovery.

So, No, I couldn't know anything about what you talk about in your post.

Thanks for you inquiry, though.

Mostly this personal forum thread is about smart health food choices that have helped me to make better food choices during my own health recovery.

There might be another thread out there, where you might could ask other members about your specific question. Or another member might come across your post here and leave a message for you.

But basically I started this forum thread to document my own health recovery process.... and making smarter food choices, based on a private medical conversation between my own private physician and registered dietician and myself. It's my way of sharing about my own health recovery... with the membership.

K

_____ ______
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #89
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amulette View Post
I agree it is complicated, and there are so many opinions about what is best. It's good that you listen to your body, I'm coming to believe that is the most reliable source. I hope you are all past the iron adventure and that you feel really good!
Thank you, I AM feeling really good right now, but it took a few months to heal! I agree with you that listening to our bodies is key.

How do I... ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 PM   #90
Amulette

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Hi there,

I cannot advocate any Kombucha product (home made or commercially made) because I had an allergic reaction to it, which landed me in the hospital.

I know it's branded as a health product that is saturated with probiotic potential, but there isn't any way I'd ever advocate utilizing this type of food product for any way to improve ones health. It didn't improve mine, at all.

My doctor explained further to me, once I recovered and followed up by seeing her after being hospitalized, that Kombucha is primarily made from fermented yeast, sugar and it basically not a stable product to consume for health purposes. I've even done my own random research about this type of health drink and it's got mixed reviews not only by consumers who have used it, but also by the medical community (western based or naturopath based practitioners) who are highly reluctant to put any official seal of approval on it because side effects can range from severe reactions to basically harmless but with no real way to measure toxic side effects among humans who consume this so-called health product.

I appreciate the post you made, but consuming Kombucha will not be something I ever consume -- for my own health.

Thanks again for your post,

K.
I'm so sorry you had that reaction Kätzchen. It must have been pretty scary. I wonder if you are sensitive to other fermented products?

I know that Kombucha is a very ancient drink, and that I liked it. Beyond that I can't defend it's benefits. Mere intrigue especially with the herbal additions. It seems like making a magic potion and that makes my witchy side tingle.

It is interesting how we all react differently to different foods. Myself I'm allergic to eggs, and wheat, along with many beans. I don't do great with grains. It really takes a chunk out of food choices. I seem to do best with a Paleo-ish diet. I do poorly on a vegetarian-diet which I tried and tried for years. Grains and beans, are yummy but not for my tummy.

Here's to our health and knowing what our particular bodies want and need! May it be easy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amulette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #91
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
I'm so sorry you had that reaction Kätzchen. It must have been pretty scary. I wonder if you are sensitive to other fermented products?

I know that Kombucha is a very ancient drink, and that I liked it. Beyond that I can't defend it's benefits. Mere intrigue especially with the herbal additions. It seems like making a magic potion and that makes my witchy side tingle.

It is interesting how we all react differently to different foods. Myself I'm allergic to eggs, and wheat, along with many beans. I don't do great with grains. It really takes a chunk out of food choices. I seem to do best with a Paleo-ish diet. I do poorly on a vegetarian-diet which I tried and tried for years. Grains and beans, are yummy but not for my tummy.

Here's to our health and knowing what our particular bodies want and need! May it be easy
Thanks for leaving your posts in this thread and sharing your perspective on what you feel is important for you. Best wishes to you, --K.

_____ ______
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #92
ksrainbow

How Do You Identify?:
Valued

Thanked 2,149 Times in 561 Posts
ksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I created this forum thread as a way for me to document my recovery process, in addressing my own diabetic concerns, since my work related accident back in November of 2016. I never created this thread as a forum thread where people could ask for advice about foods or such. It's mainly my own personal thread and about my own health recovery.

Mostly this personal forum thread is about smart health food choices that have helped me to make better food choices during my own health recovery.

There might be another thread out there, where you might could ask other members about your specific question. Or another member might come across your post here and leave a message for you.

But basically I started this forum thread to document my own health recovery process.... and making smarter food choices, based on a private medical conversation between my own private physician and registered dietician and myself. It's my way of sharing about my own health recovery... with the membership.

K
My apologies for posting my inquiry in your personal thread/space. Good luck in your journey to better health!

Thank you for responding-

Ks-
ksrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksrainbow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #93
Amulette

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine
Relationship Status:

Quote:
K
I wasn't aware of this, sorry to barge in! I saw the title and thought it was a group discussion on healthy foods.

A side note on Goji berries: They are actually considered a medicine (Chinese) that builds up your blood and energy. They are used to tonify the body. I use them, 5-8 berries in a pot of chicken soup or a few in tea, or smoothy but not as a snack..... I think they have been taken out of their cultural context.

Blessings on your healing journey K!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amulette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #94
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Quote:
I wasn't aware of this, sorry to barge in! I saw the title and thought it was a group discussion on healthy foods.

A side note on Goji berries: They are actually considered a medicine (Chinese) that builds up your blood and energy. They are used to tonify the body. I use them, 5-8 berries in a pot of chicken soup or a few in tea, or smoothy but not as a snack..... I think they have been taken out of their cultural context.

Blessings on your healing journey K!
I had them as dried goji berries in yogurt with granola for a morning breakfast. They tasted good but I just reacted to them. That's interesting how you use them and makes sense about taking things out of their cultural context.

How do I... ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #95
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Good to know. And you post really great stuff on it (appreciate your sharing). I'm going to change the title so that it doesn't lead to any confusion among members. I don't think anyone wants to interrupt a thread that is more for reading by other members

Quote:

K

How do I... ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #96
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Eclipse

Quote:
Good to know. And you post really great stuff on it (appreciate your sharing). I'm going to change the title so that it doesn't lead to any confusion among members. I don't think anyone wants to interrupt a thread that is more for reading by other members
Thanks so much for the support and right back at cha!

******______******______******______******______** ****

Here is an update concerning my own health progress:

Last week I had a clinic visit scheduled for a fasting blood lab and an specialized EKG. Both Lab Techs called out sick, so my appt got moved to next week, which is fine with me.

Both tests will determine if I can be weaned off of Glipizide (an experimental treatment I've been on for about a year now) and to be weaned off of Blood Pressure meds. If I pass both tests with flying colors Then I will have successfully addressed the mobility impacts to my health by radically changing my dietary intake choices. For example, I strive to consume basically everything I find tasty via a plant based diet. Once in a 'blue moon', tho, I find myself craving Albacore Tuna, Smoked Salmon, or BBQ'd Pork Chops. LOL, it's like "Kung Fu Fighting", this daily pursuit of not eating any meat products or consuming any dairy products, dairy-based cheese, or bread of any kind.

I'd say that's the hardest thing about my plant based life style now. Bread is super hard on a person's digestive system and it makes one's body work too hard to get rid of something that, what? Is supposed to fill you up? LOL, if people realized how hard bread is on your body, meat and dairy products too, then we'd be a Vegan-Vegetarian 'nation' by now.

I limit sinning with bread (I stick to a quarter slice of Garlic Nan, twice a month). I also have hard, non-negotiable limits on dairy products. My body cannot abide dairy product rashes or health related setbacks, because dairy products convert instantaneously into highly toxic blood sugars, once a person ingests dairy based products. I know, because I am allergic to dairy products and once you've had a near fatal close call at an ER, you just give it up because who wants to die an early death, right?

SoooOOooOOooOooo, I'm kind of excited about a plant based ice-cream that I read about, recently. It's not that plant based ice cream that has been at stores for about two years now... The Halo brand ice cream. Not that one. It's not a soy based ice cream either. It's an Ice Cream called …. tada…

Eclipse. It's owners live in California and I like their mission statement and drive and focus on helping society realize that consuming plant based foods can be nutritious, body-safe, and improve ones health in seriously smart ways.

And who wants "Ice Cream" now? Ha Ha Ha. Of course, I do, but only if it's ~~~>>>>>>> E C L I P S E.

Cheers,

_____ ______
Old 12-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #97
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Good news + Good news = Feeling My Best (Fabulous!)

Good news no.1: Today I went for my six month check up. My A1c range is still good (5.4), I lost a few pounds (16), and I still remain on the same dose of meds (Glipizide and Losartan) until next summer. By next summer, if I can show improvement in mobility and a reduction in weight (lose 55 pounds by June) without rocking the A1c 'boat', then my doctor will consider weaning me off both meds I have been taking since a year ago.

Good news no.2: I went grocery shopping again today and while wandering the aisles of my favorite discount grocery store, I saw little packages of Philadelphia Cream Cheese type veggie dips. So an idea formed in my head on how to make an alternative veggie dip without using dairy milk products. I am not allergic to organic Feta (goat cheese), so I bought a top shelf Feta cheese and bought some Red and Yellow and Orange sweet peppers and a jar of minced garlic. I have a Ninja food processor, so I set about cleaning and slicing the sweet peppers and processed them into a paste. Then I added all of the Feta (12 ounces), then processed it again after adding several teaspoons of minced garlic. I also added a dash or two of organic coconut cream and as it was processing, I stopped to add a bit of coconut flour and freshly squeezed lemon juice. After pulsing the entire concoction for about three minutes, I taste tested it and Oh My Goodness, it was ….

D e l i s h !

I also found a good buy on heads of organic cauliflower and a few stalks of celery and found a few organic beets (to roast). I cleaned up the heads of cauliflower and dipped buds of cauliflower in my newly made Feta/Sweet Pepper veggie dip. mMmmMmmMmmMMmmm. Soooo good!

When I roast beets, I clean them and cut them into quarters, then soak them in a pickling spice solution OACV, which I sweeten with Stevia drops. I soak them for 48 hours, in a covered container in the fridge. After they've absorbed the flavor of pickling spice mixture for a couple of days, I place them in a ceramic Dutch oven and roast them for a few hours in the late afternoon. The house smells divine and it's a yummy treat to serve on the side with organic salads I make on my own.

Cheers,

K.

_____ ______
Old 04-14-2020, 09:50 PM   #98
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Sharing about my journey since this past December

It has been about 4 months since I last shared about my health progress.

During the past couple of months, since the Covid-19 outbreak, my primary doctor's office closed and my therapists office closed, so getting my blood labs for my A1c check and staying connected with my medical team has been troublesome. But both teams (primary doctor and therapist) teamed up to do tele-visits by private phone connections. My primary doctor got me into a private lab for my fasting blood labs and we got good news, that my A1c is stable and going down in range, as they adjust the experimental medication I've been taking for the past year and a half (glipizide). My doctor plans to wean me off it, after other criteria demonstrates that it is possible to not take it anymore. I think that is dependent on the mobility issues I have been working on, for the past 3.5 years.

I faced my fears of falling off my bicycle and rode it for the first time, on December 28th. My sister-in-law gave me a fit bit for Christmas and when I select "Exercise" then click on the bicycle icon, it maps your ride and gives you other interesting details - like your sustaining heart beat, calories burned, how many miles you rode, and a picture of what that looks like. That day, the picture was like a big circular doodle, because I only rode around the parking lot of my sprawling neighborhood complex. When I rode that day, it dawned on me that because I don't have the typical brakes, the kind where you squeeze them on the handle bars? That I had to factor in time to stop because I only have the brakes that you use with the pedals. That can be dangerous, stopping, because I have some agility, but only with more practice will my agility improve.

Like this past two weeks, being home due to the "shelter in place" (stay at home, save lives), I have ventured out for more rides. The first time I went out of the neighborhood was last week, I think. I rode for about 4.8 miles. It took me awhile because it is hilly around here and I can't always pedal up a hill -- it's too hard on my lower back. So I'd get off and walk my bicycle up hills and sometimes down hills because the grade index is too steep. In once case the the grade was about 6%, so I walked my bike up the grade and came home a different route. On the fit bit, it won't record the steps you walk while you are in exercise bicycle mode. The picture of the map shows red lines where you bike, but big gaps if you have to walk your bike. Two days ago, I bicycled 6 miles to a destination that takes about 20 minutes by car. That took 3 hours to do on my bicycle. One way. LOL, I had to take the bus home, that day, because my legs were jelly.

Yesterday and today, I pushed myself to do the complete round trip, even if I had to intermittently walk my bicycle, while riding my route. It took me 6 hours to do a round trip. I am building up my strength still, so I think I will not do that round trip unless I give myself time to acclimate to the rigor of riding that trip. Roundtrip, it's approximately 13.6 miles, altogether. Before my work related accident in 2016, I was riding 22 miles per day (11 miles to work, 11 miles return trip home; 11 miles in one hour; one hour to work, one hour to get home). So, you can see that I am not even doing what I used to do and in the same amount of time, either. But I am working at rebuilding muscle and my ability to tolerate longer rides, little by little. At the rate I am going, it might be next summer before I can do what I used to do before. I am happy with what success I have managed to do on my own. Slow and steady, is the way I am committed to my recovery of health.

Tonight, on my way back home, we had a gorgeous sunset in the west, but as one looked east? We had lenticular clouds hovering over the Cascade range of mountains and the spaceship clouds were pink, as they mounded upward over the snowcapped range of mountain tops. I forget what lenticular clouds mean, but I think it means a change in weather, since we've had beautiful clear skies lately... Maybe in the morning we will have a bank of clouds move in and maybe it might be foggy. But the lenticular clouds were spooky looking tonight, yet so beautiful.

Thanks for sharing the journey with me as I continue to make progress.

K.

_____ ______

Last edited by Kätzchen; 04-14-2020 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo correction, lol
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #99
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default The 5 Tibetan Rites

It's been a few months since I have posted about my health progress.

I recently started incorporating short sets of yoga moves into my daily activities. I think it is helping me out, a lot.

Have you heard about or read about ...

The 5 Tibetan Rites?

These brief exercise routines have been making a difference in my health and in my ability to improve my mobility issues.

I can only do a few of them, without too much effort, but other yoga poses are sort of hard on me to do. I count it as a success if I can do one or two of the more difficult poses.

Just thought I'd share about doing this yoga routine.

Where I have found the most success in helping me address mobility issue related problems is performing extended walking exercises and bicycle rides. I get moderate levels of exercise at work, but I spend my weekend time or late evenings (during good weather) working on getting more exercise in because ... Even though I have been staying away from meat and dairy based products, I found that my plant-based dietary intake was still calorie rich and in order to burn off excess calories and keep my calorie burn burning into the late hours of the day, I had to step up on what types of physical activities I could do, in order to flatten the calorie curve and melt some of the fat off my body and improve my muscle structure.

I've still got a ways to go, but I'm making progress.

Here is wishing every one a beautiful summer ahead,
And thanks for keeping me company along the way.

~K.

_____ ______
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #100
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Sharing about my personal journey over the past two years

Lots has changed for me over the past two years, since implementing many vital changes with food choices, meds, and exercise routines.

I have lost so much weight, since last time I shared. I actually had a syncope incident, where I fell down on the pavement, due to my blood pressure being too low, two days ago. The ER physician pinned my syncope attack on the blood pressure medication, which should be lower in strength than it is. I see my Cardiology doc today, so she can adjust my dose to a lower strength and make sure my pacemaker is working like it should. The ER doc thinks that my weight loss over the past two years puts me in a different medication strength category, so I won't be facing another syncope event which endangers my body and such.

Anyway, I am proud of my weight loss (I've lost about 75 lbs., overall weight loss is nearer to 100+ lbs.). I'm several sizes smaller and I feel more energy not being so over-weight; plus, my mobility issues are improving (somewhat). I still have hip and knee (on my right side) issues, but hopefully these matters will improve over time.

Lately, when I prepare meals for myself or my fiancé Rico, I keep it super simple. I use only fresh organic-grown vegetables; I stay away from dairy products (as much as I/We can); and we do not indulge too often in bread or pasta.

One thing I have learned is to take each day with a renewed perspective and to make choices which will enhance my overall health. For example, I might could have not endured a syncope event had my cardiology clinic known that my weight is not the same as it was when they first assumed my cardiology care. Now, after knowing that my weight loss is directly associated with Rx strength, I am sure when I see my heart doc that she will either take me off the blood pressure med or reduce the strength and elect to see me more frequently until they get a better base line to make decisions.

As always, please know that I appreciate where I once was and where I now stand, concerning my weight loss. And thanks for sharing the journey with me as I continue each day, relearning important food choices and how it all connects to my overall health.

Sending my heart felt best wishes to all,
~K.

_____ ______
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: