laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation
Question Artists, are we unstable?

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask this question as this is where the artists hang out and maybe I need to ask those who date the artists.

But...

I have seen a number of comments on here and other places about not dating artists, never again, don't do it, and have also heard comments from others about artists.

As someone who recently left the corporate world to pursue my art and have completely changed my life from penthouses to barns, from Starbucks to home brew, from attending the theatre to participating in Art Walks. My life has done a complete 180 and I have never been happier... but, do I need to be concerned?

Will I become unstable, will I become undatable because people assume I am unstable? What is it about artists that scare partners or potential partners away.

I don't think I have ever dated an artist in all these years.

What do I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me into this unknown world and why we don't date artists.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by laruss View Post
I'm not sure this is the best place to ask this question as this is where the artists hang out and maybe I need to ask those who date the artists.

But...

I have seen a number of comments on here and other places about not dating artists, never again, don't do it, and have also heard comments from others about artists.

As someone who recently left the corporate world to pursue my art and have completely changed my life from penthouses to barns, from Starbucks to home brew, from attending the theatre to participating in Art Walks. My life has done a complete 180 and I have never been happier... but, do I need to be concerned?

Will I become unstable, will I become undatable because people assume I am unstable? What is it about artists that scare partners or potential partners away.

What do I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me into this unknown world and why we don't date artists.
I have never heard this don't date artist thing. Maybe its like dating musicians. Often no job, always at the studio, rehearsals in the hosue, weird friends showing up at all hours.....

Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

depends on your definition of stable/unstable, and also your definition of artist

i've never wanted to live in penthouses or attend the theatre. i do community art with people with mental health issues (i am one) and i love that. to me that's my "art scene." i don't fit in at wine tastings and gallery showings and all that stuff. am i unstable? depends on your definition of unstable. i think i'm pretty stable. i like my life.

i've dated people who were also artists and had non-corporate jobs to supplement their art income (which is my situation also, although my primary earning job is creative in a sense, just not my preferred medium)...i know very few people who make enough money at whatever their art(s) is(are) to totally support themselves. but i don't think there's anything wrong with not having a certain amount of money in your bank account, as long as you're okay with your life. i've never wanted to be a part of the corporate scene.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

I think every artist is unique. You didn't need to become an artist to be unstable (no offense, nothing implied).
One of my sisters is the most talented people, she's also completely unstable. I've always wondered if it's the price some must pay for receiving such an amazing gift. Like, it's that uniqueness that supplies the creative edge, talent.
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrSunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

But...

What do I need to know?

I have never heard artists were unstable to the point of not dating one. Sure some tongue-in-cheek stuff about artists being a bit out there in lala land, but nothing serious. Being artistic doesn't make you any more unstable or crazy than the next person.....laughin.....and we are all a bit crazy and unstable...

The part I bolded up there about comments on this website about not dating artists. Where did you read this on this website? I would really like to know what thread and what posts in that thread because it's just utter nonsense.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I would also say as has been said.. how do you define an artist?

Does it have to be someone who quit their corporate lives to pursue sustaining themselves via art alone?

Give us some definitions on "artists" and "stable".

*says the spider to the fly...
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Here. This should help:

Old 04-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Uli

How Do You Identify?:
fat girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married!

Tournaments Won: 1

Uli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST Reputation

Here's my theory:

Everyone is at least sometimes unstable. Some people hide it. Some people show it.

Artists, I think, are more likely to be in the show it category.

Not all people who show it are artists, and not all artists show it.

I've dated several artists, they were/are all unstable and all incapable of hiding it. I like that in a person, so I kept the last one I found

Congratulations on flipping your life on it's head to follow your bliss. You won't become un-date-able, you'll just have an easier time wading through the bad matches
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Uli For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

Hm. Unstable, eh?

*topples over*

That's just because I'm a klutz!

Don't worry, laruss. The thing is, some people think of people engaged with the arts as the following:

1) Financially insecure
2) Emotionally complicated
3) Materially bereft
4) Absent of "real" goals concerning those penthouses and greasy-tasting coffees you mentioned
5) All of the above and more

I'm going to hazard a guess here, but perhaps you haven't rid yourself of your own bias yet when it comes to an "artistic" sort of lifestyle? It's not only artists who hang around in barns and go on community walks... people without homes and farmers tend to do that, too. Are you looking to be with someone who's in a corporate lifestyle? Artists? Farmers? Baristas? Garbage collectors? The Prime Minister?

I just don't know why it matters where you live and what you do for a living when the people you seek to date will most likely be either attracted to you or not regardless of whether you're an artist or an engineer or a sherpa. With this new lease on life, maybe you'll meet many more kinds of people, too, which is always valuable!

Don't think of it as instability... think of it as diversifying your social and experiential network.
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
SweetJane

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
always solo

SweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST Reputation

Artists of all stripes, including musicians, writers, even some very creative scientists, see the world differently. That's a great joy! I'm one of them.

Most people don't get that. They either put us up on pedestals or they sneer at what we do.

Most of us don't make a lot of money with our work, but we're happy. We're social people....sometimes when the muse isn't beating us with her wand telling us to get to it!

We do require large portions of our day to devote to our work so we can't entertain a lover/partner 24/7. They have to understand that when they get involved with us. But when we come out of our artistic caves, we're ready for some fun and some loving....maybe more so than if we had a corporate job or were a stay-at-home spouse.

Go find other artistic types OR find those who get you. I am...
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SweetJane For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
boobookitty

How Do You Identify?:
I like the tag Lipstick Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
not picky, but male pronouns are soothing to the psyche
Relationship Status:
not looking for more than friends

boobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputation

...if the shoes don't match...

(one heel higher than the other)

Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Not all artists are unstable. I used to be one (musician, we are our own breed of strange).

It is a personal preference and not meant to offend anyone. I never called anyone unstable.

My comment was I swear I'll never date another artist... because I believe that opposites are a good thing in a relationship. Even though I'm a much more rational/logical personality type than I used to be, I'd prefer to be the more "artistic" one in the relationship. I'm attracted to math brains and practical brains. People with their feet firmly on the ground, so my head can occasionally escape to the sky.

My comment mainly stems from being married to someone who I thought was the logical/math brain, but I slowly found out her dreams were to be a professional poet (not spoken word, she was terrified to speak in front of others, literally a written poet). She hated every job she ever had. She was terrible with money, and about as practical as silly string. Now, I'm not saying all artists are this way; many of my artsy friends are not. She was a special breed of special, artist or no.

Because of some things that have happened in my life, I value security over a lot of other things. Real professional artists are often used to living without security, in fact many of you thrive in the lack of it. That would drive me nuts! Which is why I got out of the business of art.

Follow your passions, live your wonderful lives, and find someone who loves you for your lovely whimsical self!

And pass me the engineers, accountants, teachers, carpenters, etc... LOL
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

like genghisfawn said, i think it will open doors for you, ... relationships.

i absolutely crave the company of creative, imaginative, talented people. i need it. i've dated someone that totally gave me her muse self. she appreciated my own expression and let me experience hers.

an artist knows another artist. an artist remembers the details. an artist inspires others and is inspired by others. an artist tends to be open minded. independent. there are so many positives when being in a relationship with an artist.

some may think of an artist as negative. such as being selfish, ... but others see selfish as passionate, tunnel vision. they tend to need space. they need change. these things can be viewed as unwilling to communicate or unstable. but a creative person takes these things and makes memories, art, stories.

laruss, way to go. you are doing what you love. good will come from that, for sure.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Yes, if you engage in artmaking, you will become unstable and no one will date you.

Seriously, as you mentioned, many believe there is a link between mental illness and creativity. I just did a cursory Google search, typing mental illness and art, and a lot came up. Also, I went on Amazon and Wikipedia, and both confirmed there is a lot of writing and research and theorizing about the connections between the two. And everyone knows about Van Gogh and Sylvia Plath and all the other artists and writers who struggled with their mental health in a time where there really was no help for them.

One definition of creativity is the ability to take ordinary things and put them together in extraordinary ways. Many mental illnesses do that, cause a person to see ordinary things in distorted ways that can open creative interpretations.

But asking if you'll become unstable if you become an artist? I can't imagine there is a cause-and-effect relationship in that way.

By the way, how wonderful that you made that huge life change.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post

The part I bolded up there about comments on this website about not dating artists. Where did you read this on this website? I would really like to know what thread and what posts in that thread because it's just utter nonsense.
There was no one thread in particular, just little comments here and there that made me start to worry. thedivahrrrself mentioned one such comment that she made, and I may have seen that one. I'm not calling anyone out though, because I have definitely seen and heard it more then once in the last few days.

I'm not specifically worried as I feel pretty well adjusted. Was more interested to see what people thought about this stereotype. It's just one more to add to my mixed bag, woman, fat, gay, bitch, and now artist. lol

Yes, as an artist I definitely do need time to disappear and work/create and may at some point need to get a job to help pay the bills (although I really hope not). So it would make the time I could spend with someone somewhat scarce, so that is a fair concern for someone.

I was more wondering about how people saw artists. I have always been amazed and in awe of them, but like I said, I have never dated one so it is hard for me to say what it would be like.

Thank you to everyone for your input. It is always great to see everyone's different perspectives.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
BBW. Unique femininity that does not encompass the western paradigm.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:
Single, Happy, not Desparate or Looking, but Open to Possibilities...

Thanked 6,035 Times in 1,617 Posts
1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Those that paint the Golden Gate and Forth Bridges for a living could be deemed as 'unstable'. Art in all it's mediums is emotional and some of us Artists tend to be more expressive of our emotions than others. The very word Artist to some people, screams...

I am temperamental and…
I have imperfections and…
I am emotional
I am unpredictable
I am naked
I am vulnerable
I an human
I am opening up to you
I have insecurities
I am oversensitive, yet, can have a lot of self determination and focus.

Not everyone is comfortable handling another's emotions, thus tagging them as 'unstable'.

1QuirkyKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Mom was an artist and probably the most stable person I've ever known. I think humans in their need to express can either do it with aplomb or do it quiet as a mouse. Artists are no more unstable as any other profession, it may seem so because of the amount of attention artists garner, but statistically not a reality.
In other words it's just another stereotype.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

But...

What do I need to know?

I've never heard this, but I sort of can see the reasoning behind it...

I remember one sunday I got hijacked by my poly-clay and forgot that I had a roast in the oven and challah rising...

Ya...several hours later I surfaced to pancake bread and a block of meat...

My obsession got in the way of taking care of my family...

It may have happened a time or two... or three or four....
Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

wow i have never ever heard this before...
about not dating artist... and artist being unstable... never ...
its a god giving talent. Its makes us artist Unique .. but not unstable.

btw........ anyone have a razor sharp knife soo i can cut off my ear??? hehe

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
nekohl

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 2,162 Times in 382 Posts
nekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputation

Coming from a long line of artists on my paternal side, I wouldn't say anyone in my family is unstable. A bit looney perhaps but we like it that way

And speaking from the stand point of an artist who someone may be afraid to date on the off chance that I may be unstable, I say who cares! If the fact that I can express myself artistically turns someone off or they are hopped up on the notion that it makes me undate-able well then perhaps that shouldn't be someone I should worry about dating.

To answer your question of "what do I need to know?" Know yourself. Know what makes you happy and follow it. (which you seem to be doing. Good for you!!!) And if you should come face to face with someone who deems you unstable, keep on walking and don't worry about what they think.

There are people who would love to wrap themselves up in every little thing that makes you you. Including all the arty bits!