Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Dating vs. Mating

At breakfast today, a group of us over 50 were discussing
the type of person
we are dating and why.
The results surprised me:

1. The type of person one dates when dating for fun
is almost diametrically different from the type one would date
when looking to mate.

Fun daters are looking for excitement,
exploration, differences, and variety.

Maters are looking for
commonalities, stability, centeredness, and monogamy.

2. Within our group, most were looking for fun rather than a mate.
Fun was equated with freedom. Mating was equated with responsibility.

So, I'm wondering what other peoples experience/preferences might be.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,627 Times in 3,978 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting, Kobi. I know I have gone into relationships looking to mate. I wanted a long term stable family setting. I assumed who I was with, wanted this also. In fact, I always spend a great deal of time in the courtship stage discussing what we want out of a relationship. Unfortunately, not everyone knows what they want or is capable of achieving what they want. Me included. No finger pointing that isnt also pointed at me as well. Its why I remain single.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Fun v/s Mater

Interesting thread, Kobi! No matter the relationship I've been in, I've 9 times out of 10 been a I guess what you'd call a "mater"... looking for the one. The one time it was just for fun, it just didn't feel right. I guess that could preclude me from having some fun if I'm not actively in an active relationship. Who knows, maybe I just need to get to know more people and get out there more.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,196 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Great idea for a thread!

When I met my wife I was ONLY into dating... fun, play, sex, no strings... Little did I know we would mate... It took YEARS for me to catch on... Even though I knew I loved her within a year of meeting... We weren't ready to get married until YEARS later. Both of us acknowledge that.

For ME, I think one should date and not necessarily look for a mate. The mating part only comes after a period of time after you get to know each other. My wife and I are truly married in all aspects. If something ever happened to her, and we have discussed this, I wouldn't be interested in another mate. Not at my age. We are a perfect "fit"... and I am not interested in any other... There are too many OTHER things in life to experience...

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
SaltyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Old School Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/she/hey you.....
Relationship Status:
open to the possibilities

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 5

Thanked 1,635 Times in 301 Posts
SaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting thread, I know that I am a relationship person, always have been. But over the course of the years I have found that at different times I needed different things, and it was this that determined the person I was attracted to at that time.

Now, also being over 50, I find that I would most definitely like the next relationship to be the last, will it be, one can only hope, but if it isn't I know that the parameters of what I am looking for will not change because at this stage of my life, I am looking to mate.

I think the difference for me is that the person I'm looking for, incorporates all of the fun aspects of the "date" based on the definiton listed here and all the characteristics I desire in a mate. The key is knowing what you want and what you need and not waivering.

Fortunately for me as I write this, I have a wonderful woman in my life our commonalities are many and our values the same. So here's hoping that my journey in one aspect has ended and another begins.
SaltyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SaltyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

the type of person
we are dating and why.

when looking to mate.

Maters are looking for

In a nutshell, at this point in my life, I am happy to be with a mate with whom I enjoy lots of excitement and fun. I don't feel that I lack freedom, since I am with someone who gives me lots of space to be. Even if I were single, I'd still value responsibility and centeredness. As long as I'm happy, I stay. And, as long as I stay, I am monogamous.

I was previously married (for 20 years) to someone who fit the "mate" description. We were horrible together, and not just because I turn out to be a lesbian.

Maybe the mistake was idealizing the notion of "mate" and trivializing the idea that commitment is best when enjoyed.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Daktari

I think I'm a bi-ater. I can do both dater and mater. If I'm single then I revel in it. If I'm attached then I'm wholeheartedly attached.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a dater.

My current relationship and my last long-term relationship turned me into a mater, though at the start that wasn't the intent. LOL. Certainly not complaining or unhappy about it, but I rarely start a relationship looking for a mate. I'm just having fun and seeing where things go...and they either go or they don't.
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

the type of person
we are dating and why.

when looking to mate.

Maters are looking for

These friends wouldn't be the same ones that initiated your maturity thread, would they?

*grin*

I think that if you go into something, unless it's an arranged situation, specifically looking for a mate, you are setting yourself up for heartache and disappointment.

I tend to be a bit of a serial monogamist but I don't go into relationships thinking, "Oh, wow. I've found a husbutch" or that I've found my mate for life. I go into them thinking that I like this person and how they make me feel when I'm around them and maybe it would be cool to be around them more.

For me, the more complicated you make it, the worse it turns out.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: