Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,362 Times in 6,714 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bushcraft

Anything goes relating to bushcraft skills, travel, your thoughts, and interests

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 02:04 AM   #2
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Back in the day I was doing lots of camping, we had a fairly large boat that we would go out fishing on the many lakes and by ways in Louisiana. I got to wondering how I would do if I got stranded out somewhere and needed to save my own a$$, so to speak. So one day one of my saner friends and I made plans to give it a week end try to see how we would do. We only allowed to take one set of clothes as well as weather related wear along with one hunting knife. We told people where we would be for safety sake as on when we should be back then to send out the posse if need be. The worse part was the mosquitoes, it's a wonder we didn't come down with some awful disease from as many bites we had.. next time I gave up my hunting knife for mosquito netting and bug spray. They don't call them things the state bird for nothing.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,371 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

OK...

This thread is NOT what I was expecting it to be....

I was thinking heart shapes for Valentine's day or something...lol

This is much more appealing to me...minus the hunk of moo on a rock...
Old 01-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default What's your favorite way..

of starting a fire without matches or lighter?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I prefer a ferro rod and char cloth or other tender, but I also like starting a fire with a bow drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
of starting a fire without matches or lighter?
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Default Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I prefer a ferro rod and char cloth or other tender, but I also like starting a fire with a bow drill.
I would love to learn how to use a bow drill correctly, I've not had much luck
with one. I usually use a magnifying glass...carrying fire around can be a bit problematic...I found this and wondered if it would work..definitely trying it this spring!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Both the plastic bottle of water and the plastic baggy filled with water will work in a pinch, but it is much easier with a magnifying glass. I have done it with water, never with urine, though it is good to know that will work in an emergency.

For me, learning to use a bow drill took a lot of time and patience and then frustration when I ran out of patience. It's kind of like riding a bike, once you achieve and the muscle memory is learned it gets much easier to do. Somewhere in my files, I have a page that shows the color and condition of the dust and what it should and shouldn't look like in order to get a coal. I will look for it and post it here when I find it.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Default this is cool..

his campsite is top notch, imo..he's organized! But you have to be in Alaska or you're dead.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I have used a bow drill, a lens from a camera, the reflecting of light to and from a head light to tender to start a fire. Being an occasional smoker I always can find a lighter somewhere in my car or about any jacket I have, even one that just has a sparking flint will help in starting a fire.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
I have used a bow drill, a lens from a camera, the reflecting of light to and from a head light to tender to start a fire. Being an occasional smoker I always can find a lighter somewhere in my car or about any jacket I have, even one that just has a sparking flint will help in starting a fire.
Never considered a camera lens, great idea! and yes I always seem to have a lighter or two around, but what I love about bushcraft is that it's about your skillset and being able to use your environment to provide for yourself. One of my goals in the next year is to go out with just the basics, a knife, an axe, etc and make it in the woods for a few days...The perfect place to do this would probably be Alaska or possibly the Cascades towards Autumn..Ive done a lot of camping but with all the paraphernalia. I would like to take a couple of survival classes to make sure I have enough skills to make it..I have plans
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #11
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Made one of these this summer. It rocked. If you love building fires this one is worth knowing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Default (a)Rocket Stove

Old 01-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #13
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I have one of these Tonteldoos tinderboxes that I made, but I use lantern wicks in mine. I find they burn slower and leave a nice char on the end that catches sparks easily. The Tonteldoos is simple to make and works well.

I also always keep a solo flat 1"x6" lantern wick in my EDC kit and have charred one end of it. I like it because it rolls up to take up little space, it's lightweight and it catches sparks well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Default acorn bread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:18 AM   #15
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Well I must say, my mind went to a totally other place when I read the title of this thread, LOLOL.

But I have found it to be interesting reading. I used to love to camp in various "primitive" campsites in Michigan in my younger days. I loved and still love cooking over an open fire or beautiful coals.

Have fun!
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #16
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
This video has been disabled for other sites but you can still access on youtube by clicking the title above the video! There are four parts to it..pretty interesting....if you like this sort of thing
Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #17
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I walk out my door, and I am next to a large lagoon, and nature reserve, where hunting is not allowed. I would fish, but not kill my deer friends here. I watch my bird and animal friends everyday survive here.. They fish and drink from the lagoon and rain puddles. They eat grains growing off stalks of wheat, and acorns, and know where the best and freshest grass, wildflowers, nuts, and leaves are. When it gets too hot or cold, they dig holes, or crawl under big logs and piles of brush. If the bugs bother them they roll in mud, the same way soldiers are taught. I would want to purify my drinking water though, which leads me back to the quest for fire. I think a small rocket stove would be the best idea for cooking in snow and rain. Love them. I have plenty of stuff to start a fire with, but I really would need to learn patience, and practice the cross bow method for long-term survival.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2016, 07:30 AM   #18
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Default Knots!

Knowing how to tie a variety of knots and when to tie which knot is an important outdoor survival skill whether on land or water. Fishing, camping, climbing, Bushcraft, or even if a sudden rainstorm pops up during a hike and you just want to throw up a quick ridge line for a tarp tent, you will need a knot of some sort.

Some of the more commonly used knots for Bushcraft are listed below, but there are literally hundreds to choose from.
  • lashing
  • clove hitch
  • timber hitch

Tent stakes/various odds & ends around camp:
  • tautline hitch
  • figure-eight retrace
  • bowline
  • bowline on a bight
  • jam knot
  • larkshead
  • trucker's hitch
  • fisherman's knot
  • half hitch

When you need to tie a couple ropes together that vary in size:
  • the sheetbend

Below are a couple of good animated knot tying sites that show how to tie knots and what things that particular knot is useful for. At least one of them(Grog's) also has an Apple and android app you can download to your phone, but there is a small charge for the app.

Grog's Animated Knots

Net Knots

Happy Tying!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #19
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,371 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I'm coming a little late to the fire starting party...but...

I have reading glasses...the store bought magnifying kind. I read that those in particular make a good fire starter in a pinch. But I have at least 3 sources for fire in my pack at all times. Just in case. Fire can mean life in a bad situation.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Folks, please read up on what plants and mushrooms are poisonous in your area before you start out. For instance, Poke Salad grows in abundance here, but the little red berries are extremely poisonous. The animals here eat the leaves, but leave those tiny, red, berries alone.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post: