Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-28-2016, 01:35 AM   #41
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,130 Times in 4,735 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Man... when I saw the heading bushcraft... I was so WTH?! lol

I rarely ever see the word "bush" used in America to mean the wilderness! Seems with all the survival shows on TV it's becoming a more popular term. Great topic!!

I had no clue either ~ lol carry on I'm not the camping type ~ I was thinking holiday lights for curb appeal ~
Old 11-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #42
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,364 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Xmas Yule List

this is cool, want one!

http://www.alpaca4less.com/alpaca-wo...ket-twin-size/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #43
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
This video has been disabled for other sites but you can still access on youtube by clicking the title above the video! There are four parts to it..pretty interesting....if you like this sort of thing
I have a couple cookbooks devoted entirely to gathering food from nature. I was always wondering about making acorns useful. There sure are enough of them. But they're quite bitter. I hear they're a good source of energy though I remember being sad as a kid cuz they look so much like a hazelnut but are nothing like them lol
Old 11-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #44
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Here is a good link for processing acorns. It also has a couple of acorn recipes.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/sur...ays-eat-acorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
I have a couple cookbooks devoted entirely to gathering food from nature. I was always wondering about making acorns useful. There sure are enough of them. But they're quite bitter. I hear they're a good source of energy though I remember being sad as a kid cuz they look so much like a hazelnut but are nothing like them lol
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #45
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Nice blanket. I checked out their site and the prices aren't bad for what you get.
I have a 100% wool Italian officer's blanket that I bought through surplus about 15 years ago that I wouldn't trade for anything. One of the great things about 100% wool is that even if it gets wet it will still keep you warm. So it is a great addition when sleeping out under the stars.

Quote:
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #46
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I like to go to the BushCraftUSA forums for DIY projects. I need a new over the neck pouch to carry my cell, fire-steel, cash, etc. Materials: large sharp needle, riverter kit, chain, paracord, leather, canvas, or flannel.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #47
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hi Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I like to go to the BushCraftUSA forums for DIY projects. I need a new over the neck pouch to carry my cell, fire-steel, cash, etc. Materials: large sharp needle, riverter kit, chain, paracord, leather, canvas, or flannel.
Neat idea! Can you provide a picture? I'd love to see
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #48
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Heya Kittygrrl; Was told my puter needed repair before it can pic. Maybe later...

Quote:
Neat idea! Can you provide a picture? I'd love to see
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #49
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Default Neck knives

Currently have an inexpensive neck knife but I want to get a nicer one. I really don't know much about them and wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on what to look for on my next one? fyi- The one I currently have has a nylon sheath and it's knife has a 2.5" fixed blade.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #50
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

BANNOCK RECIPE
1 Cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp Powdered milk
add enough water to make a stiff dough and fry in butter or bacon grease until golden brown

Start campfire and find a flat rock to cook your bannock on. Flatten bannock patty into pancake thin. Spread pizza sauce on each side. Add cooked bacon or steamed veggies, mushroom, olives and cheese (Vegan or not). When your rock is hot. Fry .bannock til browned on bottom. Flip. Fry other side til done. Serve with Spruce tea. Enjoy-Recipe by Far North Bushcraft
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #51
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
BANNOCK RECIPE
1 Cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp Powdered milk
add enough water to make a stiff dough and fry in butter or bacon grease until golden brown

Start campfire and find a flat rock to cook your bannock on. Flatten bannock patty into pancake thin. Spread pizza sauce on each side. Add cooked bacon or steamed veggies, mushroom, olives and cheese (Vegan or not). When your rock is hot. Fry .bannock til browned on bottom. Flip. Fry other side til done. Serve with Spruce tea. Enjoy-Recipe by Far North Bushcraft
See if you just stayed home, you could order in and avoid all this damn work
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #52
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
See if you just stayed home, you could order in and avoid all this damn work
lol homoe..I like that too but I love a good campfire, moonlight, a warmed sleeping bag, waking up to a world covered in frost, walking alone to a nearby stream to wash, watching your breath curl to the sky..it's magical
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #53
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
lol homoe..I like that too but I love a good campfire, moonlight, a warmed sleeping bag, waking up to a world covered in frost and washing in a nearby stream watching your breath curl to the sky..it's magical
Some say magical others say nightmare............
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #54
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Some say magical others say nightmare............
lol homoe, nightmare? yes, no doubt
Old 08-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #55
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

I always travel pretty light ...my tent I can put up in less then 8 minutes and it weighs under 5 lbs..my sleeping bag around 18oz, a hunting knife, cup for water, flint, tinder, axe, extra socks, first aid kit, bug spray, water straw, a small skillet and I limit myself to less then 5 lbs of food stuffs. All in all about 17lbs plus the weight of pack. Very manageable. When I was camping a lot my pack was always waiting for me to sling on my shoulder and I was off. Packing and clearing campsite under 40 minutes-and I can go lighter-in an emergency
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #56
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Oh..and I almost forgot, a small slice of biodegradable soap!
Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #57
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

I am adding a Spot, cellphone w/battery pack, compass & maps, altimeter(necessary in Mountains), flashlight, sunglasses, sunscreen. 2 flares. An additional max of 3lbs. I don't currently own a Spot but I consider it a necessity not a luxury..so on my Yule list
Old 08-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #58
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,512 Times in 3,155 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I like camping but no longer enjoy roughing it to the same extent, quite the way I used to when young. I was supoosed to go as part of a group, with my sons and some other people, but one got a promotion/is now working rotating days off, split shifts, overtime - his schedule is a nightmare mess. My other started a new job and though he has weekends off his car is older - he dosen't dare risk having a breakdown/missing a day while still doing his orientation. If he missed time during his probabtionary period even his union couldn't save him, he'd be let go immediatly. I'm not released to drive yet, so can't go alone and don't know the others going well enough to ask for even a ride, let alone saddle them with abruptly cutting their plans short, to race me to the ER should an emmergancy come up. I think I just might treat myself to a staycation. Even if only for a couple days mid week - breakfast bar, room service, spa tub, bezillion cable TV channels, pool, hot stone massage, which I've always wanted to try but never have...
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #59
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Yeti rocks
Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #60
Esme nha Maire

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,092 Times in 541 Posts
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation

I'd be very interested in what folks consider essential with reagrd to camping, and also any tips for any particularly lightweight equipment. I'd add that I'm in the UK, and the kind of camping I mean means turning up at a campsite where you pay for a spot to pitch your tent, and there are generally at least basic amenities (toilet plus tap) on site. Last time it was more like turning up at a hotel where all you had to do was provide your own room! Yes, I'd love to experience the wilderness kind, but, sadly, that's no longer realistic for me.

Because I can't drive, when I've gone camping in the past, I tended to pile everything onto a folding porters trolley that I bought, and lug that around by train and taxi to and from the camping site. Finding that a bit heavy though (ironically, the porters trolley itself is fairly heavy!), last time I tried using a couple of shopping trolleys instead, to split the load. which was an improvement.

To avoid possible confusion I mean this kind of thing: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/25438/Easy...olding-Trolley

- not the four-castor things one uses in a supermarket! 8-}

But due to health/strength considerations, I now need to see if I can get that down to a single such trolley plus no more than 2-3 kgs carried. I'm good living off simple rations, and stuff you can just add water to, even if cold, for a few days, if need be. Any advice?
Esme nha Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esme nha Maire For This Useful Post: