Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

Thanked 1,956 Times in 497 Posts
deedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
One of my faves...

Vinegar in laundry! Add about 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar to the last rinse. It is too mild to harm fabrics, but strong enough to dissolve the alkalies. It also whitens whites, brightens brights and makes black less blah. AND, it acts as a fabric softener and static reducer; using it will actually make your towels softer. Plus, it helps with the bad smells like smoke etc. Finally, it works on clothes that have mold or mildew (for anyone who has forgotten about a load of wet clothes in the washer).

This is so wonderful! Adding a little essential oil with will make your clothes smell amazing.

Vinegar will also attract those pesky fruit flies. They dive right in to a little cup left on the counter.
Squint your eyes and look closer. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I am a poster girl with no poster. I am thirty-two flavors and then some. And I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might want to turn your head~Ani

I want to think again
of dangerous and noble things;
I want to be light and frolicsome;
I want to be improbable, beautiful
and afraid of nothing as if I had wings

Mary Oliver
deedarino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyDoll View Post
Ok, more laundry stuff-kind of.

Laundry sheets uses:

~put in your pocket to help repel mosquitos
~tuck under the seat of your car to help the scent stay fresh
~wipe across hair when static is an issue
~stash in the lingerie drawer for body-friendly sachets

I have also found that dryer sheets are good for dusting furniture and television screens...anything that usually gathers dust. The fabric softener in the sheet works as a dust repellent.

Also using cooled cigarette ashes mixed with a little bit of water on water stained end tables or coffee tables will remove those white spots.

Toothpaste is an excellent cleaner of silver jewelry. You must brush lightly with a toothbrush because it can be abrasive.

Use a rubber glove to help grip and open tough to open jars. Also if you put it under hot water it helps to break the seal.

Hard to clean shower doors? Use WD 40 applied to a cloth and be careful not to get it on the tub or floor surface because it will make it slippery. But it will clean the hard to get off soap scum.

A clogged drain? 1 cup of baking soda followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar (heated in the microwave) Wait a few minutes and then follow with two quarts of hot water. The reaction of the baking soda vinegar boils out anything that is in there...it's temperature helps as well.

Also you can remove odors from a garbage disposal in the sink by running through some citrus.

Coat a deck of old cards with baby powder to make them slippery again.

Ever wonder why they sell bunches of daffodils together without other flowers?? Do not mix cut daffodils with other flowers as there is a toxin that daffodils produce that will kill the other flowers.

Vinegar water (1/2 cup vinegar to 2 cups water approximately - more vinegar if the glass is very dirty) and old newspapers for cleaning windows for a streak free look.

Crayon on walls? WD 40 or a hair dryer which will help to melt the wax base of the crayon and assist in wiping it off.

Pen or pencil marks on the wall. Cloth dipped into milk and wipe it off.

Clean brass with lemon juice.

Remove chewing gum with peanut butter. If on clothing put it in the freezer and then scrape it off.

Rubbing alcohol to clean flat topped stoves.

Clean the microwave...I always hated this job until I found this! Cut up one lemon and add one cup of water in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for five minutes. It will loosen any stuff from the inside and you can just wipe it out with a cloth. It gets rid of the grime while adding a fresh scent.

I guess that is all from me for now. I have learned many tricks of the trade over the years. I did janitorial work for many years. Hope these help y'all. If I think of more I will post again later.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Am I the only one who gags at the smell of white vinegar? My parents used to run it through their coffee maker once a month to make their coffee taste fresher (yet another use for it), but I HATED those days. I'd run for the jar of Vick's salve and rub some on my upper lip to fight off the smell and the gag reflex (years later, I discovered that forensic scientists used Vick's in exactly the same way, to mask the smell of decomposing bodies... it seems I was on to something. Wait, does that count as a household cleaning tip?).

Anyway, I want to like the smell of vinegar. I do. It's clearly the miracle cleaner, and way better for the environment. But thanks to my nose, just not *my* environment.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Wow! My favorite subject is cleaning! Great tips so far.

To clean a slow or stinky drain put a big pot of water to boil. Take some baking soda and pour it into the drain. Pour some vinegar on top and watch it froth up! Let that sit for 10 minutes or so and then pour the whole pot of boiling water down the drain. Do this once a month to keep drains fresh and clear. This will not, however, clear up a very clogged sink.

What are your favorite cleaning products you can buy at the store?
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

deedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Coat a deck of old cards with baby powder to make them slippery again.

Also cornmeal...
Squint your eyes and look closer. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I am a poster girl with no poster. I am thirty-two flavors and then some. And I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might want to turn your head~Ani

I want to think again

Mary Oliver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #26
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JD View Post
Am I the only one who gags at the smell of white vinegar? My parents used to run it through their coffee maker once a month to make their coffee taste fresher (yet another use for it), but I HATED those days. I'd run for the jar of Vick's salve and rub some on my upper lip to fight off the smell and the gag reflex (years later, I discovered that forensic scientists used Vick's in exactly the same way, to mask the smell of decomposing bodies... it seems I was on to something. Wait, does that count as a household cleaning tip?).

Anyway, I want to like the smell of vinegar. I do. It's clearly the miracle cleaner, and way better for the environment. But thanks to my nose, just not *my* environment.
I HATE it...Blech. The laundry tip doesn't leave the vinegar smell in the end.

I want to think again

Mary Oliver
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedarino View Post
Vinegar will also attract those pesky fruit flies. They dive right in to a little cup left on the counter.
So... you catch more flies with vinegar than honey?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #28
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,131 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

coffee filters r great on windows too
~ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~ocean For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
Wow! My favorite subject is cleaning! Great tips so far.

To clean a slow or stinky drain put a big pot of water to boil. Take some baking soda and pour it into the drain. Pour some vinegar on top and watch it froth up! Let that sit for 10 minutes or so and then pour the whole pot of boiling water down the drain. Do this once a month to keep drains fresh and clear. This will not, however, clear up a very clogged sink.

What are your favorite cleaning products you can buy at the store?
i love COMET. Plain ole Comet!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
chai~

How Do You Identify?:
Self possessed Aquarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't call me baby~
Relationship Status:
Deliciously single and loving it.

Thanked 3,383 Times in 864 Posts
chai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputation

I haven't read the entire thread, but before this slips my mind again, I will share it.
Maybe someone already has and if so, sorry for the repeat!

Sterling silver is my favorite precious metal.
I use toothpaste, not gel to clean all my jewlery.
To get into all the nooks and crannies, I use an old toothbrush.

I scrub till the past turns grey, rinse and voilla!!!

Shiny, gorgeous, as beautiful as new, and inexpensive!

To lessen the tarnishing of sterling, it's a great idea to keep the pieces in a zip lock bag with as much air squished out as possible.
chai~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chai~ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Uses for used coffee grounds?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #32
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
African violets love them. They also can go in compost for other plants.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #33
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Quote:
Facial scrub? :P

I've heard coffee grounds are fantastic for compost. Wonder if I could get a caffeine buzz from the veggies grown from it.

Last edited by The JD; 02-26-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: edited to find proper avatar with hanging tongue, except the selection doesn't come up on the edit screen. Oh well.
The JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The JD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #34
femmennoir

How Do You Identify?:
femme, naturellement
Preferred Pronoun?:
Elle
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,223 Times in 478 Posts
femmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputation
Default Going organic!

Quote:
Of course, compost, but also good to dye stuff, just like black tea. It gives a very light golden brown to yellowed doilies, yarn, t-shirts etc.

Elle*
And your heart, as it was then, will be on fire.

Anna Akhmatova "White nights"
femmennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to femmennoir For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #35
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Use them in your garden or potted plants...

ETA you can go to your local Starbucks and get grounds... I am not sure if any of the other coffee houses do this but it won't hurt to ask...

Quote:

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #36
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

being from the south we have bugs

putting grounds in plants draws bugs and so i've never tried it.

But i will, i have african violets and other stuffs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #37
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
Use them in your garden or potted plants...

ETA you can go to your local Starbucks and get grounds... I am not sure if any of the other coffee houses do this but it won't hurt to ask...
we have a surplus
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation
Default Cleaning supplies...

There is something about the smell of bleach that makes me feel like things are really clean. But, I also like anything that has a Citrus scent to it.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #39
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
There is something about the smell of bleach that makes me feel like things are really clean. But, I also like anything that has a Citrus scent to it.
i am the opposite, i don't like citrus ... although i have taken cinnamon sticks and sliced oranges and simmered them which smelled divine.
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #40
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

I can't handle the smell of Vanilla... it makes me want to vomit... Shot, dee, I believe you have seen my perfume collection I am all about how stuff smells. I recently was introduced to a new scent by Scentsy Weathered leather... I may have swooned... just a little... some of their other scents are to die for...

- Unknown -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post: