Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #161
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
Yep, same dog. She is totally healed from that incident. I am not sure what this was. She was fine the next night, and now is totally back to normal. I just took her on a trip with me to make sure she was ok (I won't leave her home anymore... at all) and she was good. Who knows!? Im just glad she is OK
Glad she is ok. One more incident and BFP will be sending a party to remove your dog from your home. I will be leading the troop, so be on guard!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #162
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i was making chili this afternoon and re-experienced how annoying it is not to be able to open ANY kind of can without tuna expectations resulting.

i try to explain that it is a can of kidney beans, not tuna. Surely, i reason, they can smell the difference. But no, they are under foot until tuna manifests itself.

Fortunately there was one can of tuna in the house. It is probably a good thing that i rarely cook.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #163
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,769 Times in 983 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
i was making chili this afternoon and re-experienced how annoying it is not to be able to open ANY kind of can without tuna expectations resulting.

i try to explain that it is a can of kidney beans, not tuna. Surely, i reason, they can smell the difference. But no, they are under foot until tuna manifests itself.

Fortunately there was one can of tuna in the house. It is probably a good thing that i rarely cook.
Lol they have us trained well don't they? lol
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #164
cuddlyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,270 Posts
cuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post

For some really strange reason, my cats don't like Tuna
cuddlyfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #165
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Just throwing this out there, hoping someone has a suggestion. One of my dogs is a barker...and I mean for EVERYTHING! If a leaf blows by, he is barking! The other dogs are not generally barkers, but when he starts them off, they ALL join in. We have 5 dogs of varying sizes and the noise can be really nerve rattling after a while. He is not bored or neglected...he gets regular exercise and play-time daily. I am at a loss here....so...does anyone have any ideas about how to curb this? (except a shock collar...I will never use one on my dogs) Any other sanity-saving advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated!

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #166
Princess

How Do You Identify?:
princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her.
Relationship Status:
One singular sensation!

Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,009 Posts
Princess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
Just throwing this out there, hoping someone has a suggestion. One of my dogs is a barker...and I mean for EVERYTHING! If a leaf blows by, he is barking! The other dogs are not generally barkers, but when he starts them off, they ALL join in. We have 5 dogs of varying sizes and the noise can be really nerve rattling after a while. He is not bored or neglected...he gets regular exercise and play-time daily. I am at a loss here....so...does anyone have any ideas about how to curb this? (except a shock collar...I will never use one on my dogs) Any other sanity-saving advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated!
I had a barker for awhile, Millie. She's part beagle/cocker spaniel. a Speagle as they call her lol! Anyway, I found this site really helpful and maybe you will too. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...p_barking.html
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Princess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #167
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I would google "barking" along with the name of the breed.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #168
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I use to have a barker years ago,it really got bad,so I got a kids water gun and everytime she went to barking just to bark and make noise I squirted her in the chest or face.It didnt take long for her to be quite when I said "hush".
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #169
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
I use to have a barker years ago,it really got bad,so I got a kids water gun and everytime she went to barking just to bark and make noise I squirted her in the chest or face.It didnt take long for her to be quite when I said "hush".
Same here. Tantalizing taught my dog with two squirts of a spray bottle with water in it. Now all I say is, "no bark", and he stops.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #170
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

My Sir's cat is bullying my cats. THey've moved into his territory, so i get it, but it's getting old. They need to have their time outside, and he just loves to chase them back inside. So frustrating. i had really hoped they would get along. He's been lonely since his buddy cat disappeared a year or more ago.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #171
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Water bottles are great to use with barking dogs............just don't squirt them in the face because you could accidently hit them in the eye and do damage. Spray their chest or feet....dogs hate their feet sprayed for some reason. And spray with the command 'no bark' or 'hush' or '_______' (whatever you want to use) at the same time.

Martina I got no help for you with cats. There is a new show with a guy who is a cat whisperer....for real....but I can't remember the channel (maybe animal planet) or the name of the show. The guy is big and has tats everywhere and a big ass earrings and a shaved head and beard..
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #172
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
Water bottles are great to use with barking dogs............just don't squirt them in the face because you could accidently hit them in the eye and do damage. Spray their chest or feet....dogs hate their feet sprayed for some reason. And spray with the command 'no bark' or 'hush' or '_______' (whatever you want to use) at the same time.
Hey, Toughy. No, it was his side that we sprayed actually, never the face (while saying, "no bark"!). One spray each time, happening twice over the course of one hour and that was it! He responds to "no bark" like a charm, now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #173
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
I had a barker for awhile, Millie. She's part beagle/cocker spaniel. a Speagle as they call her lol! Anyway, I found this site really helpful and maybe you will too. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...p_barking.html

I read the Humane Society's advice you linked to, and thought it seemed really useful.

Consistency, repetition and patience are key, plus quickly rewarding the positive behavior, which requires vigilance because at first the dog exhibits the "good" behavior accidentally, like in silence between barking jags—and you have to be there and catch it and reward it quickly, over and over till the dog "gets" the cause-and-effect thing happening and begins to consciously elicit the reward by generating "good" behavior.

I am not an animal behaviorist, so take my opinions from this point on with a grain of salt and for being what they are; the rantings of a layperson who happens to be fascinated by animal behavior.

The advice on what to do with a dog that barks too much is great, and they do address why they bark too much in the first place—being left alone too much, or not getting exercise.

I also think dogs bark too much because they are trying to enact their role in the pack. They think it's their job to bark, or they feel anxious because they don't know what their role is, and so they are overcompensating with all the barking.

I stayed with my sister for two weeks this winter, and was alone in the house with her two dogs, one of whom is a 130-pound German shepherd. True to breed, he believes the family is his flock, and his job on earth is to protect us (except for my sister's husband, whom he accepts as his alpha and worships).

If a UPS guy or some other unsuspecting person came to the front door, Thor would go nuts. His teeth-barred barking is loud, deep, and confident. The fur on his back stands up and he stands with his front paws on the front door, which makes him like ten feet tall.

I would just sit on the nearby stairway, watching, and the corgi would come up and sit behind me, which was funny because in their usual dynamic, he totally dominates the shepherd (it is so not about size with them).

Anyway, one day, as soon as Thor started barking, I didn't yell and instead, thanked him loudly and warmly for protecting me, and he turned around confused, then came running over to me, tail down, head down, fur on his back down, and pushed against me like he does when he wants his head rubbed, and I rubbed his head and continued praising him, saying, Good boy! Thanks Thor, I'll take it from here. Good job!

I did it several times and it always worked, and my sister tried it, and it worked for her too. Instead of yelling, which I just read in the Humane Society site, makes them think you're barking with them, I'm thanking him for doing his shepherd protective thing, and as soon as he realizes that, he thinks, Great, my job is done. I can quit now, and it alleviates his anxiety about doing his job well, which is shepherd's reason for living.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #174
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
did you try the water bottle technique?

The puppy class trainer suggests a can of with coins in it, shake it when they do the barking frenzy, they hate it and she said she had to do it twice. Also when they STOP barking, reward them BIG time.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #175
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Nocchi the Frog Dog is recovering well from surgery for gastric mucosa hyperplasia or an acquired pyloric stinosis. He is a 6 year old French Bulldog and the love of my life! He could not empty food from his stomach into his intestinal tract due to a thickening in his stomach. For months, he chronically vomited which I thought was due to either food allergies or rich treats given to him- WRONG, then - BAM!! It was life threatening, yet treatable. He was a good candidate for surgery and now recovering (doing quite well).

The last 2 weeks dealing with this has been awful. He was very, very, sick. But, with support from some awesome people and a veterinary team that was so damn good at what they do- i did lose him. And it looked like that was a possibility.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #176
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Default Dogs rock!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D154404

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #177
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Post Purchasing Pet Drugs Online: Buyer Beware

Consumers should be cautious when buying pet drugs online and should not let Internet pharmacies evaluate their pets.

buy from Vet-Vipps approved sites only
www.vipps.info

Veterinary Verified Internet Practice Site.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #178
PoeticSilence

How Do You Identify?:
*dodges labels*
Relationship Status:
Estranged

PoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST Reputation

I found this site and LOVE it. It's not JUST for pets mind you, there's a few human things, but either way, I wanted to share.

http://islandtopdesigns.com
Old 05-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #179
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation
Default HEAT STROKE and PETS

I didn't want to start a thread on this issue just a quick post.

Summer time is here. though it isn't really that hot yet, a pet can still suffer from heat stroke.

My niece text me back Friday telling me how her dog was acting. I really didn't have an answer for her and the options were wide open considering the 5 month old puppy pit mix hadn't had any shots. All the questions I ask her, her answers weren't consistent with anything I could diagnose over the phone.

Being a holiday weekend she couldn't afford to vet her until yesterday. As it turned out the pup had suffered a heat stroke and the vet said he didn't know why she was still alive. She had told me the pup was in the yard with my nephew for maybe an hour and came inside and just laid around then went under the bed and wouldn't come out or eat or drink. I had told her what to do about that and I guess that is what kept her alive til Tuesday.

If you keep a dog outside, keep it in a shaded well ventilated area. Out of the sun and with plenty of fresh water. This goes for all outside animals. They can live for days without food but won't last long without water. THEY HAVE TO HAVE WATER!

I've had 2 dogs in my life to have heat stroke, Skippy being one of them. He was in the shade with water but there was woods behind him and a building beside him so I guess he wasn't ventilated well enough in this stagnant southern environment of summer. That was several years ago, now when I leave if it is going to be 85 degrees I leave him in the house with the AC on.

ONCE A DOG HAS SUFFERED A HEAT STROKE HE IS MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE So keep em cool.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post: