Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Mac converts

so here's the long story made short...my old laptop is on it's last leg and I'm looking at a new one.

I've read review after review and tech specs and all that jazz. I know that the vast majority of Mac owners are fiercely loyal to them...but what I'm really interested in, is hearing from real folks about their experiences in switching from a PC to a MAC....

was it a difficult switch? Is there anything that your pc did or have that you wish your mac had or did? Were you able to move all the stuff you wanted (music, pics, etc) from your pc to your mac? What was the "getting used to it phase" like and how long did it last? Did anyone switch to a mac and wish they hadn't?

And lastly...any suggestions, advice or anything like that? Thanks in advance!
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
IrishGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme Leatherdyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
In a relationship/non-monogamous

Thanked 1,209 Times in 366 Posts
IrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

well damn, I thought you were talking makeup..LOL
IrishGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGrrl View Post
well damn, I thought you were talking makeup..LOL
I probably should have specified eh?

But I figured folks would see my name and figure that it wasn't about makeup
Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

I love my mac! I converted in 2007 after 10 years of PC usage. I found it 100% fine, with no adjustment time. The only pain in the ass thing was losing all of the extra applications that were not mac compatible (games, etc.) and having to buy the microsoft suite again. This past month, my mac had an issue and was brought to be serviced, and while that was going on I rented a PC.

The comparison is unbelievable, I will never go back.

Oh, by the way, if you're getting the laptop? Buy a protection plan. Seriously.

Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
I love my mac! I converted in 2007 after 10 years of PC usage. I found it 100% fine, with no adjustment time. The only pain in the ass thing was losing all of the extra applications that were not mac compatible (games, etc.) and having to buy the microsoft suite again. This past month, my mac had an issue and was brought to be serviced, and while that was going on I rented a PC.

The comparison is unbelievable, I will never go back.

Oh, by the way, if you're getting the laptop? Buy a protection plan. Seriously.

apart from games, what sort of aps did you lose?

and I'm curious about the protection plan...did you have issues that needed it?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Ha! I thought it was about makeup, too, until I saw Goofy's name.

I really can't speak to the Mac conversion process. I was born into the cult of Mac and have never actually owned a PC. All hail the Apple!

Just get the thing!

The extended warranty isn't a bad idea for any laptop, assuming you actually take it places. While Mac is known for excellent hardware, they aren't by any means perfect. I had an iBook that had a recurring logic board problem. Mac actually offered the extended warranty to anyone who had this known issue with their machine, I managed to eke out a couple more free repairs (the logic board needed replacing a total of 5 times) before finally giving up - after 6 years (seems like a pretty good lifespan).

My MacBook has had a few issues, all of which have been resolved with updates, no hardware issues.

Last edited by Mister Bent; 11-05-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: more words
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
Ha! I thought it was about makeup, too, until I saw Goofy's name.

I really can't speak to the Mac conversion process. I was born into the cult of Mac and have never actually owned a PC. All hail the Apple!

Just get the thing!

(The extended warranty isn't a bad idea, though I've never needed one).
O, I thought it was about food, as in Big MAC's...............
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
All right SPA. I am single.

bonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputation

I was really shocked, as I thought Mr. Fender Bender had gone straight.
bonne-maman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
apart from games, what sort of aps did you lose?

and I'm curious about the protection plan...did you have issues that needed it?
Aw, shit, I can't even think now, it's been so long. The biggest pain in the ass is that when you find a really cool free download.. for example, software to rip movies off of DVDs onto your Hard Drive... you have to search twice as long to find something mac friendly. That's changing, though, so not such a hassle. The biggest things for me were photoshop/PSP and the microsoft suite.

I've actually had more problems with my mac than anyone I've ever spoken to.

I've had: speaker problems, case problems, keyboard problems, clamshell problems, software problems and hard drive problems.

They wound up giving me a completely new computer that had more RAM and Disc Space than my old computer for free due to all the hassle. Recently, I had a complete hard drive failure because I work with files so much and they all got fragmented, and it was really just a big mess. After all the recovery was done, (by an outside party because my warranty was up) Apple helped me migrate all my files to where they belonged so none of my settings were wonky.

I don't want to get offtrack, but I'm happy to explain in more detail why I wound up with a new comp, as well as my trials/tribulations with mac people, and all that, if you'd like to hear it, either in PM or in the thread (don't wanna talk too much, shit!)

Oh, and another thing I hate about macs are that if you have something wrong with your computer they must restore it to factory default before they can fix it. Example: your USB port doesn't work, and you have a broken clamshell, they must fix the broken clamshell before they touch the USB port.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Mr Bent, thanks a bunch for you input. I was an avid mac user back in the day, but I think that was in the day of the IIc, if I remember right.

Selenay, I don't do too much with the free downloads, so I think I'm ok there. I appreciate hearing about your trials and tribulations, since I haven't heard of many. I'm fairly computer savvy, but I'm not familiar with "clamshell"...can you tell me what that is?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
Mr Bent, thanks a bunch for you input. I was an avid mac user back in the day, but I think that was in the day of the IIc, if I remember right.

Selenay, I don't do too much with the free downloads, so I think I'm ok there. I appreciate hearing about your trials and tribulations, since I haven't heard of many. I'm fairly computer savvy, but I'm not familiar with "clamshell"...can you tell me what that is?

Okay, so you know the part of a laptop that does the actual opening (the hinge)? That's the clamshell.

As for my trials and tribulations. . . I'm the exception to the lovethemac rule.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Goofy,

I'll add my expertise in that might be of help. I've used all platforms throughout my life (I actually counted and have used 13 different OSes). Prior to going back to Mac I had been using XP because of my computer security needs (XP is great to break into) as well as gaming needs (I gotta have my WoW). My work offered me the opportunity to get a MacBook Pro (OS 10.4 at the time and we're about to upgrade to 10.6 once corp finance gets its butt in gear). So I decided to go back to Mac again, after an absence of about 7 years.

It's actually very easy to switch over and if you're really not sure, the Apple stores have a program to help you. One of the pluses I have (given the company I work for) is the ability to use a program called VMware Fusion. You can take your old PC, turn it into a virtual machine and run it on top of OS X (like an application, not instead of). I did this for a while so I could take my time transferring what I needed (you can use VMware Converter, a free application, to turn your old PC into a virtual machine). Once I had finished the transfer, I deleted the VM and got the extra space back. I'm now pretty much using my Mac exclusively and my Dell desktop has just bitten the big one so I think I may be forking over for a new Mac laptop for personal use.

If you have questions or need advice, just ask.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post

Okay, so you know the part of a laptop that does the actual opening (the hinge)? That's the clamshell.

As for my trials and tribulations. . . I'm the exception to the lovethemac rule.
well now I feel like a doofus. I've never heard it called that before *shrug*

Thanks Linus! I may be hitting you up for more info soon!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
so here's the long story made short...my old laptop is on it's last leg and I'm looking at a new one.

How about this...
If you get your Mac and don't like it, you can use my PC, and I'll use the Mac?
blush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

I've been on a Mac for almost 15 years, love it. I would NEVER own a PC after growing up on a Mac; I've had to use a PC every now and then, and I can't stand Windows. But that's because I'm a designer and Macs are better for design in my book.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Goofy - I, like you, started off on Apple products - way back in the late 70s. Stuck with them through the very early 90s until I got my first desk job and had to switch to Windows 3.1.

Now that was a "culture" shock. But once I got used to it - and particularly once Win95 came out I was pretty much ok.

Fast forward to two years ago when I went to work for a Mac only shop and I had to make the transition. For me, it was actually semi-painful, but worth it.

If you haven't already, I say go for it.
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Linus,

Thanks for your expertise! I can't really call myself a convert - I started on an apple machine in the early eighties and I've never owned anything but. I use a pc at work, but my preference is and always will be a Mac. Nice to hear someone like you support Macs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Hey Goofy,

I'll add my expertise in that might be of help. I've used all platforms throughout my life (I actually counted and have used 13 different OSes). Prior to going back to Mac I had been using XP because of my computer security needs (XP is great to break into) as well as gaming needs (I gotta have my WoW). My work offered me the opportunity to get a MacBook Pro (OS 10.4 at the time and we're about to upgrade to 10.6 once corp finance gets its butt in gear). So I decided to go back to Mac again, after an absence of about 7 years.

It's actually very easy to switch over and if you're really not sure, the Apple stores have a program to help you. One of the pluses I have (given the company I work for) is the ability to use a program called VMware Fusion. You can take your old PC, turn it into a virtual machine and run it on top of OS X (like an application, not instead of). I did this for a while so I could take my time transferring what I needed (you can use VMware Converter, a free application, to turn your old PC into a virtual machine). Once I had finished the transfer, I deleted the VM and got the extra space back. I'm now pretty much using my Mac exclusively and my Dell desktop has just bitten the big one so I think I may be forking over for a new Mac laptop for personal use.

If you have questions or need advice, just ask.
Darth Denkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #18
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I'm laughing now...I thought the thread was about makeup, not computers.

God bless me,
Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Get a Mac

I was forced into Mac-dom, and I'm so glad. I will never ever ever go back.

And a lot of offices in the Austin area are switching to Macs. Austin is (supposedly) the highest Mac-using city in the country.

PC's Blow,
Dylan...devoted Mac-er

P.S. It's sooooo relieving to NOT have to worry about virus after virus after virus, or endless pop-ups, or just the b.s. of PCs
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Okay, I finally did it! I picked up my new macbook about an hour ago. Haven't done too much with it yet, but so far I absolutely love it!

Thanks to everyone that gave their input!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post: