Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #41
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default IWO JIMA Post 1 OF 2

This is my design and dedication to those who served in the United States Marine Corps during WWII.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #42
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default IWO JIMA Panel/Post 2 of 2

This is my design and dedication to those who served in the United Stated Marine Corps during WWII.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #43
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

And proud you should be, coming from such fine stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
I think I've posted about this on the other sites, but since this thread specifically addresses stories about WWII, I thought I'd post the story here (again), because I think it's a good little story.

My Pop was 13 years old when WWII broke out in 1941. He born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, the youngest of 7 children (4 boys, 2 girls), to parents who had immigrated from the Chinese province of Canton, in the southern section of mainland China. Pop was playing in the street, that morning, when he watched the Japanese planes flying low over his house in Kaimuki, on their way to bomb Pearl Harbor. Like most boys of that time, he was fascinated with air planes and enamored with the stories of the famous flyer, Charles Lindbergh. He has always told me that he knew the planes were Japanese because these were flying so low that he could clearly spot the red "meatball" painted on the sides of the planes, and even the faces of some of the pilots. No one had any idea what they were doing, or going to do, until the sounds of explosions rocked the city of Honolulu and thick black smoke began to billow into the sky above Pearl Harbor. Pop said that my grandmother gathered everyone into the basement of the small house and kept them there for all of that day. My Uncle Richard was a civil service pipe fitter at Pearl Harbor during that time, and the family didn't see him for 3 days following the bombing and only knew that he was part of the original response team called to cut open the hulls of capsized Navy ships to rescue the trapped crews.

During the duration of the War, Pop continued his schooling at St. Louis High School and also worked part time at the Dole Pineapple factory, in Honolulu. His entire family had worked at Dole, at one time or another, with the exception of my grandfather, who spoke no English, but was an accountant in a book store. Pop's job in the pineapple factory was to monitor and adjust the temperature of the juice that is packed with canned pineapple. When the War finally ended in 1945, Pop was still working in the Dole factory. Funny, but Pop still says, to this day, that his stint in the pineapple factory gave him the incentive to stick to his studies and get an education so he wouldn't be doomed to that kind of physical labor for the rest of his life!!

On V-J Day (Victory over Japan), August 15, 1945, Pop heard the news of the Japanese surrender on the radio while working his shift at the Dole factory. Back then, the Dole factory in Honolulu had a huge steam whistle on the top of a water tower that could be heard over most of the island of Oahu. Pop asked his supervisor if he could climb up that tower and blow the big steam whistle. His supervisor agreed, and Pop said that one of the most joyful days in his life, to this day, has been the memory of pulling (and dangling on, because Pop was always a skinny kid) on that rope and letting that whistle blow and blow.

A few years ago, Pop gave me a package that was carefully wrapped and preserved in a small cellophaned bundle. It was The Honolulu Star evening edition, dated December 8, 1941, the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed. One of his friends from high school had a part time job at the newspaper back then, and had given this to Pop. He'd kept it all of these years and was now turning it over to me to keep. It's one of my most treasured possessions, to this day, from my Pop.

Pop was never able to join the military because his eyes were so bad. I think that's always been a bit of a disappointment for him throughout his lifetime. He made the best of it, though, and got a wonderful education, along with his PhD. He's never forgotten that day in December, so many years ago. I'll never forget him telling me about it.

Those Americans who lived and fought through WWII really were The Greatest Generation. I don't think the world will ever see anything as grand as that generation.

~Theo~

Oh yes, and Mother was a real life "Rosie the Riveter"!!!

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #44
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

John, be very proud - these are truly exceptional! Great work and hommage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

This is my design and dedication to those who served in the United Stated Marine Corps during WWII.

The is an organ of fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #45
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanks Carmen.
WWII still moves me as it always has.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #46
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

And I as well. You and I John, two anachronistics... We were born way too late...

Quote:
Thanks Carmen.
WWII still moves me as it always has.

The is an organ of fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #47
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Audie Murphy Page 1 of 3

Page design, graphics by Jet
Information and text, Army records;
audie murphy.com
Old 04-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #48
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Audie Murphy Page 2 of 3

Information and text, Army records
audie murphy.com
Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #49
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Audie Murphy Page 3 of 3

Information and text, Army records
audiemurphy.com
Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #50
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Jet, great job - thank you for posting about Audie Murphy.

Altho he didn't distingish himself as an actor - appearing in 'B' movies, and other unmemorable productions - he is by far our most decorated serviceman and heroic figure of WWII, and perhaps of any US war. We certainly could use more military personnel of his caliber, integrity, and bravery. As a young girl, I had an enormous crush on him, and that without knowing his background - I just thought he was so handsome.

The is an organ of fire.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #51
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanks Carmen,
I had fun doing the art.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #52
friskyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
precious
Relationship Status:
down to earth

friskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Jet,
A beautiful presentation. He is definitely a well known hero of this era. Even though he read his lines from his sleeve, women swooned over this handsome, wholesome farm boy.
The Following User Says Thank You to friskyfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #53
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Excellent thread.

I was a late-in-life baby. My Dad was 53 when I was born. He was 93 when he died in 2007 and is buried at Arlington.

He talked alot about WWII and all his friends. He actually started as a calvaryman. He shared many funny stories about trying to learn to ride and shoot at the same time. Including once shooting his horse in the ear because he (Dad not the horse) was out of sinc. "Ruined a good horse" he always said.

He later helped form the 1st Armored Division. He was on the European front, never in the Pacific. He rode into Italy (forget town) while Mussolini was still hanging. And was stranded in the desert with a broken down tank while Romell rolled by a hill away.

Thanks for this thread. Makes me even more proud about our families and how they contributed to our freedom.

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #54
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Sadly, a very often forgotton fact...as bad as our country has been/can be at times - we are not perfect - it is still the only place I want to call 'home'.

We have so much we take for granted in our everyday lives. We, us Americans, for the most part, are a very lucky nation indeed.
Flag waver? Perhaps. But I am proud to be an American, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post

Makes me even more proud about our families and how they contributed to our freedom.

A

The is an organ of fire.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #55
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

I am both grateful and lucky to have been born an American.

I realize that our nation is not perfect and at times the crazies are running the asylum, but id rather have a choice and freedom that we are all granted here, then live without freedom....

I may not agree and at times i vehemently disagree with opinions, policies, variouos laws etc, but here in America i am accorded by virtue of the constitution unalienable rights...even if sometimes they are eroded away by politics and the court system....I have rights as a citizen and they are protected ....

at least in this country we can disagree, protest, yell, march and stomp to the beat of our own drum

this country is not perfect but I am glad that i was born here....
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #56
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Amen! Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitmo01 View Post
I am both grateful and lucky to have been born an American.

I realize that our nation is not perfect and at times the crazies are running the asylum, but id rather have a choice and freedom that we are all granted here, then live without freedom....

I may not agree and at times i vehemently disagree with opinions, policies, variouos laws etc, but here in America i am accorded by virtue of the constitution unalienable rights...even if sometimes they are eroded away by politics and the court system....I have rights as a citizen and they are protected ....

at least in this country we can disagree, protest, yell, march and stomp to the beat of our own drum

this country is not perfect but I am glad that i was born here....

The is an organ of fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #57
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I integrated my art (above) in honor of people who served, whether they were in the service or civilians. I don't think we should forget our history or any war. And I wanted to pay tribute In a special way because I'm able to and because I believe they deserve a special rememberance.

I've realized something being in this thread, doing art and remembering.

All my life I never participated in any civic duties, voting, jury duty (i got out of it 3 times), campaigning— nothing—and now, it's occured to me that those privileges were given to me as a citizen of the US. And....it's made me aware that I have those privileges because of costly sacrifices.

Amazing how maturity, recognition of others, and taking responsibility change a person.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #58
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Who could ever forget that wonderful, swingin' 40's music that found GI's spining and twirling their favorite girls to on Saturday night??

Mother, age 88, still loves to hear me play my 40's playlist on Youtube when she's here. These BOSE speakers crank out the bass and the remastered sound is simply remarkable.

From the 40's, here's 3 of Mother's favorites:

They definitely don't make music like this anymore!!

~Theo~
Old 04-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #59
IttyBittyFem

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
No thank you.

IttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST Reputation
Default My Dad made history

My Father, a WW II Vet was not only a hero in my eyes, he was a hero according to the U.S. Army.

He was one of 12 men, specifically hand selected to draw up plans for the invasion of Normandy Beach.

The 12 men, divided into 6 twosomes, were sequestered during a 9 month period to draw up plans for the Invasion, my Dad paired off with General Hart.

All 6 reports were submitted to President Eisenhower (after going through all the many hands prior to reaching the President). My Father's plan was personally selected by the President to be carried through - hence history was made with the Invasion of Normandy Beach.

Omaha Beach was the largest and most occupied of the Islands by the German Army. During the 9 months of planning, he was enthusiastically inspired to partake in the Invasion, requesting to his superiors to be placed on one of the ships that landed on "D-1" (as referred to by the US Army for the first day of the Normandy Beach Invasion) on Omaha Beach.

Only two men in the world had knowledge of what took place during that 9 month period of planning, my beloved Dad as one of them.

When diagnosed terminal, I was my Father's primary care giver during a 10 month period. A Museum in New Orleans, devoted to the Normandy Beach Invasion requested a interview with my Dad. Due to his deteriorating condition, I felt it was too much for his health to be interviewed and filmed, therefore, I elected to do it myself.

I still have in my possession, the Interview I conducted on DVD. One day, when I feel I'm emotionally prepared to share his story with the Museum, I'll send it on to them.

In Loving Memory of W.S.E.
Sept 25, 1919 - Oct 16, 2008

IttyBittyFem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IttyBittyFem For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #60
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

John, I've been looking for this phone for years!! I am going to look into getting a landline (a requirement for this phone), so I can buy a fully restored and functioning phone. And I want the original ringing mechanism too, DAMMIT!!! No, beeps, buzzes, or virating sounds - I want that loud ringing again - the way it should be!!!

Quote:
Tanno Theo, I just got to thinking....they really were greatest American generation. They knew right from wrong, for the most part, they were spirted and heroic, and eager to win the war, and they had those great big black, rotary dial telephones that wired into the wall so you could hear on the god&%$*mn things, and mouthpiece wasn't on your upper jaw. Geezes, I was born late; I hate technology today. Jus' sayin'....

America had phones just like this.
The irony of all this is that post WWII kicked off a new technological age. *shakes head*

The is an organ of fire.