Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #61
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Command radio performance with announcer's intro on behalf of the War Department, 1943

Zing! Went the strings when I heard this today.
I have always liked this tune, especially because it's sung by Judy.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #62
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

G.I. JIVE

Everything was geared toward the war and war effort including some great tunes about G.I. life.

One of the best had to be G.I. Jive no matter who recorded it—
and many did—Louie Jordan, Ray Mckinley and the great Johnny Mercer.
It's a hot, slow jump blues, boogie woogie.

This is remembering an incredible time and generation of Americans who could dance
and swing like no one's business all the while spitting in our enemy's eyes.
Damn, I wish I could have been there. I'd dance like crazy.

G.I Jive is one of my favorite jump jitterbugs during WWII from the great Johnny Mercer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #63
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again and again:
your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars.

_____

Franklin D. Roosevelt, October 30, 1940

_____
Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #64
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation

WWII history was probably my favorite topic in history class. I have a few uncles who fought in WWII and so its very interesting to hear about what it was like. I also know all the weapons and tanks by name and what country they are from. (and that was before I played call of duty lol)
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad_boi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #65
WingsOnFire

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..femme.. .babygirl...girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Ones...
Relationship Status:
Enjoying life but ready to meet someone

Thanked 12,476 Times in 3,357 Posts
WingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

bumping for Daddy..
WingsOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #66
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

Wow. I loved reading these pages.

I love reading about most anything WWII related. I've got a collection of books but always looking to add more. I generally read about the Holocaust, but have been moving somewhat to learn about the Gestapo.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #67
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

BBC-LONDON
24 Dec. 1944

Major Alton Glenn Miller,
leader of the Army Air Force Band of the Allied Expeditionary Forces,
is missing on a flight from London to Paris, it was reported today.

Miller and crew members were aboard a UC-64 Noresman
single engine monoplane flying across the English Channel at last contact.

No trace of the plane has been found since leaving London nine days ago.

For Glenn

Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #68
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

Jaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
John, I've been looking for this phone for years!! I am going to look into getting a landline (a requirement for this phone), so I can buy a fully restored and functioning phone. And I want the original ringing mechanism too, DAMMIT!!! No, beeps, buzzes, or virating sounds - I want that loud ringing again - the way it should be!!!
....when i lst began working as an office junior in l964, aged l5, we had those phones on our desks!!!

My Dad was a desert rat with monty's 8th army during the war, before i was born, he and my mum wrote letters to one another for the 6 long years he was away and when they died, i read them, i cant tell you how moving they were, i have seldom been so moved and as my parents i couldnt imagine them being young and in love - well you dont do you - i have her wedding dress, his war medals and these letters, along with photos and other momentos i shall always keep............
Jaques is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaques For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #69
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

Jaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST Reputation

[QUOTE=theoddz;94783][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"]Who could ever forget that wonderful, swingin' 40's music that found GI's spining and twirling their favorite girls to on Saturday night??

Mother, age 88, still loves to hear me play my 40's playlist on Youtube when she's here. These BOSE speakers crank out the bass and the remastered sound is simply remarkable.

....i have original glen miller records and i also love marlene deitrich and play the cd's i have, plus i also have a dvd of Blue Angel in German.......i have pics of her on my office wall and books of all the old stars of that time.....my fav. period in most things is art decco........which changed after the war and the 50's retro period that i had as a kid and everyone seems to crave now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaques For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #70
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Jaques,

What questions do you have about the Holocaust during WW2? I can try to help answer your questions.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #71
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Yay!!! Another classic movie fan!!! I too have a huge VHS, dvd, and book collection on classic film and icon stars.

Jaques, I, and my friends Graphita2 (who happens to teach film in college), and my buddy Jet, are die-hard classic movie buffs. We are quite knowledgeable about classic film, but Prof. Graphita of course, has us beat! In any case, it's nice to know there's another one of 'us' around. I hope you will join us on the Classic Movie thread soon. We need to 'bump' it up a notch - it's been sleeeping for awhile. Your input would be welcome and appreciated.

[quote=Jaques;99161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"]Who could ever forget that wonderful, swingin' 40's music that found GI's spining and twirling their favorite girls to on Saturday night??

Mother, age 88, still loves to hear me play my 40's playlist on Youtube when she's here. These BOSE speakers crank out the bass and the remastered sound is simply remarkable.

....i have original glen miller records and i also love marlene deitrich and play the cd's i have, plus i also have a dvd of Blue Angel in German.......i have pics of her on my office wall and books of all the old stars of that time.....my fav. period in most things is art decco........which changed after the war and the 50's retro period that i had as a kid and everyone seems to crave now.

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #72
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I have 80 years of music, roughly. My big band, jump and jazz collection contains original recordings as well as music that has been re-recorded note for note.

When I was in radio, my mentors were older gentlemen (one of them a big band leader), the other a big band expert who had his own show, and who educated me on the World War ||, the swing era, singers, and off-stage stories about bands and leaders. Both of these men were in their 20s during World War II and I would listen to them for hours about the war and music and the way of life.

I spent around 16 years knowing them and learning from them while writing documentaries and radio programs, and listening to hours of recordings to appreciate the arrangements, musicianship, and genius of the bands and songwriters, to say the least. I'll never forget those men and I will always cherish everything they taught me. Best of all, they turned me on to the most incredible music I've ever heard.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 AM   #73
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Jaques,

What questions do you have about the Holocaust during WW2? I can try to help answer your questions.

Andrew
Hi Andrew, I didnt have any questions about the holocaust in ww2 but if there is something you would like to share, i would be very interested....GJ
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaques For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #74
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

[QUOTE=cinderella;99412]Yay!!! Another classic movie fan!!! I too have a huge VHS, dvd, and book collection on classic film and icon stars.

Jaques, I, and my friends Graphita2 (who happens to teach film in college), and my buddy Jet, are die-hard classic movie buffs. We are quite knowledgeable about classic film, but Prof. Graphita of course, has us beat! In any case, it's nice to know there's another one of 'us' around. I hope you will join us on the Classic Movie thread soon. We need to 'bump' it up a notch - it's been sleeeping for awhile. Your input would be welcome and appreciated.

.........yes, thank you, i will get back to you on that one, my missus loves the old movies even more than I and esp fred estaire and ginger rogers, i gave her an old l940's lamp which is Betty grable with a dress on for the shade and the old flex like the telephones which she has by the side of the bed.
I have always "felt" i was a part of the era early 1900's - late 30's - possibly a previous life but there is a very strong mind connection which i cant explain. The missus and i love to dress up and when our local amateur dramatic society did Map & Lucia, set in the 30's, she dressed up in a flapper dress, feather boa and long evening gloves and I in an old tux with my hair slicked back - everyone else was sitting there in jeans but we loved "making the scene" and went out on the town later to a gay venue who told us we couldnt enter as it was a gay event - which made us laugh - and them when we told them
Old 05-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #75
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

.........Did anyone read "Suits Me", the story of Billy Tipton, also Colnol Barker's Monstrous Regiment by Rose Collis - oh and The Queen of Whale Cay by Kate Summers, wonderful tales of women who lived as men, or in joe carstairs case - a butch woman in the period leading up to WW2? Great accounts of adventurous people and all true life stories.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #76
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Jaques,

I thought I read that you had a question. My bad.

I know of Billy Tipton, but never read books on hym. My hat is off to folks who live as they are. God bless them - each and every one!
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #77
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Jaques, there's a thread called Famous Celebrity Queers on here. On that thread, someone - can't remember who at the moment - posted an article about Joe Carstairs. I think it was taken directly from 'Queen of Whale Cay'. Carstairs sounds like an intriguing character, and I want to buy the book. I had known about Carstairs from books I read on lesbian women of the golden era of Hollywood. 'The Girls: Sappho Goes to Hollywood' by Diana McLellan; and 'The Sewing Circle: Sappho's Leading Ladies' by Axel Madsen. Two books that are a 'must read' for anyone interested in that era, and learning who was gay. Both books are a 'tell-all' expose revealing the sexual orientation of the most famous and beautiful icons of Hollywood cinema of the time.

Thanks for the tip on the books. I will look for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques View Post
.........Did anyone read "Suits Me", the story of Billy Tipton, also Colnol Barker's Monstrous Regiment by Rose Collis - oh and The Queen of Whale Cay by Kate Summers, wonderful tales of women who lived as men, or in joe carstairs case - a butch woman in the period leading up to WW2? Great accounts of adventurous people and all true life stories.

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #78
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

BETTY HUTTON

Command Performance
was a radio show broadcast over the Armed Forces Radio Network to the troops overseas.
Each week, it featured music and skits from top names in entertainment and was usually emceed by Bob Hope or Jack Benny.

One of my favorites to be featured was Betty Hutton.
I didn't appreciate her work until I really saw and understood how versatile she was.

Betty Hutton was a song and dance actress known for her endless energy and outgoing personality.
She was very popular on radio and in the movies
in the 40s and 50s, because of the musical styles back then,
but then faded from view and died pretty much in obscurity just a few years ago.

Betty Hutton was underrated, IMHO,
considering that she was extremely talented and
gave triple in every performance as you'll see in the videos.

I'm posting three of Betty Hutton's best from the 40s,
and I hope you'll appreciate her as much as I do—for her talent and for giving her all during the war.

Here are :
Murder, He Says, Stuff Like That There and Plain Jane Doe.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #79
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques View Post
.........and did you know Joe Carstairs had affairs with numerous women including tallula bankhead and marlene deitrich.........

http://
Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #80
IttyBittyFem

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
No thank you.

IttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST Reputation

SNIP -----> [QUOTE=Jaques;100058][QUOTE=cinderella;99412]Yay!!! Another classic movie fan!!! I too have a huge VHS, dvd, and book collection on classic film and icon stars. [QUOTE]

Add one more huge fan of Classic Films. I can watch over and over.

The topics, as simplistic as they were, made with small budgets and black and white film, can keep their audience entertained for hours upon hours.

All time favorite for me: "Friendly Persuasion" with Gary Cooper. In celebration of Gary Cooper's birthday (I believe), they've been showing his movies all day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll show my favorite, so I can watch it for the 1,497th time!
IttyBittyFem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IttyBittyFem For This Useful Post: