Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #61
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
Yesterday, or was it the day before, my mind is still crazy... I had to put down one of my dogs that I had for 14 years. The whole week was like a haze and depressing because knew i had to do it but couldnt. I probably hung on too long but you know how that is.

I paced, I cried,I tossed and turned in my sleep. I adopted him when he was two, a rescue that had been dropped off in a remote area, the Adirondacks, to fend for himself. In a few weeks he learned to kill and hunt. He was a large akita named Bud. The vet call me begging me to take him. They had him a few months and needed to find a home or put him down. I said no. I then tossed and turned all night and finally they got me to come see him. I didnt think it would work with the dogs i already had, he was aggressive, but I also couldnt see him put down. I took him home kept him my garage and slowly brought him into my home.

I will never forget the time he tried to bite me and I threw myself on him, pinning him down. He was strong as hell and angry. I laid on top of him for 30 minutes until the fight was gone. He never did that again. Instead he became a loyal companion and we had an incredible journey together. He became a loved member of my family.

With him I had two other dogs that passed on due to health reasons. He hung in there and for the next 14 years he remained a faithful companion by my side. He was a cat killer and small animals but I knew this was something he learned to do living in the wild. Loving him along with so many other animals was a challenge but somehow it was worth it.

This past year he became frail and was hard to get up. We went for walks and I would look in his eyes and knew the time was near. I will never forget a night I went into his room, away from every other animals except his faithful, also rescued Wonder Dog... he laid his head in my lap, moaned and then gave me a serious look. Wonder Dog began to cry and whimper.

This past week I paced, He couldnt get up, pooped on his bed and i knew the day was getting close. Wonder Dog also paced and cried. One morning I wake up out of a dead sleep, it was 4 am and I found him stiff, unable to get up under a pile of poo. I crawled down onto the floor and held him. I looked in his eyes and although blind in one the other penetrated me and I knew it was time.

It has got to be the hardest thing in the world. that final journey. When you know you must say goodbye but you're just not ready... you're never ready. Part of you wants to step away and not see what will happen but another part of you knows that you MUST be there, say goodbye and hold him as he leaves this life. My nephew loaded him into the van. I cried the whole way there. I wrapped him in my comforter I had for 10 years, my scent. He laid there confused but knowing.

I held him in my arms as the vet came out to the van and gave him the injection. He looked at me. He starred and them his stare went blank. Some strange peace came over me. I couldnt even believe I did that but I did and then we wrapped him up in that green comforter and I brought him back to the farm where my nephew had a place for him.

Sometimes I go to feed him and remember he's gone. Sometimes I walk to the window and see the mound. I think about what flowers I'll plant there or how I can honor this big wonderful dog that brought so much love into my life. No matter how many animals I have or will ever have, there is a void, a sadness that is unparalleled to anything. No matter your beliefs of reincarnation and death, your hearts feels empty and the pain penetrates you. But then you have moments when you feel this great light flood over you and you realize that love, that unconditional love was worth every drop of pain.

My sweet handsome boy. I love you, miss you and know in my heart that one day I shall see you again.
Sorry for your lost I know its hard to lose an animal like that!! WE lost two cats last week one day apart from each other..
Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #62
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Standard poodles are super smart and can play with all sizes. I like Rottis and Dobies, but not everyone does and some places won't let you have them as are often on "vicious breed" lists. If you don't like drooling, stay away from all bully types. Irish setters are lovely as are wolfhounds. Great Danes are awesome too.
True story: My first dog-of-my-own (as in not a family dog) was a Standard Poodle. Sophie was my constant companion for 14 years, she finished grad school with me, moved across country a time or two, and ran alongside my horse everywhere. They're very athletic, extremely smart, and often quite goofy. The hair is decidedly a bit of work, but I was really glad to have a dog that didn't shed, and did her grooming myself (no pom poms).

After she died, I fostered a Bull Terrier for a while, and was involved with rescue, but I just couldn't bring myself to get another dog. Until James. (Insert shameless plug for my awesome mutt here).

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Mister Bent; 05-26-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Some fucking thing or other.
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #63
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I think that Labs are sweet and so are Goldens. I don't know how Labs do with small dogs, but my 12lb Jack Russell was the boss of my g.f.'s 85 lb Golden. He was immediately submissive to my guy. They played great together, even if it looked a little weird!

You may want to PM, Toughy. She works at a doggie daycare, so I am sure she has all sorts of information about breeds being with other breeds. I bet she could help you out a great deal. She was very helpful to me in the past.
laughin...........yeah I can be helpful sometimes.....

First.............I highly highly recommend you get the dog from a shelter or a rescue group. The all american mutt is a great dog and you probably will be saving the dog's life if you get it from a shelter. I'm a big fan of shelter dogs.

You want to pick a dog that is compatible with your lifestyle. Any of the herding dogs are wicked smart and need LOTS of exercise. Since you have doxies, you may not want to get a puppy. And older dog might work better for you. It will be easier on the doxies and you......puppies are rambuctious and have to be potty trained.........and damn that is a pain in the butt ....laughin....

Talk to the folks at your local SPCA/Shelter. They can be very helpful about the temperament of the dogs in the shelter. Don't pick a dog just cuz you think it's cute.......

it's way fun picking a new member of your house.........do your homework. Pure breed larger dogs will many times have problems with hip dysplasia.

if you need more info you can ask here or as Dapper said..........PM me and we can talk further.........
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #64
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,346 Times in 2,667 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Pete is in love with a little cat named Fiona.

Fiona roams the neighborhood, stopping to rub on ankles when it suits her.

She often trots behind her humans and her two fluffy dogs when they take their evening stroll.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #65
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoReMiFemme View Post
Okay. This is totally off topic, but my dog has been in the vet since early Wednesday morning. They are getting ready to do exploratory surgery for a blockage in her intestines.

I am beside myself with worry.

'Anyone else had an experience like this? What were the results/findings?

On a side note, in relation to the previous posts in this thread, I would totally recommend rescuing a Yorkie from the pound or your local rescue. Not that I'm biased or anything.
Let us know how it goes with your little one. I'm sending some good energy her/his way.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #66
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Toughy. I looked on petfinder.com for some rescued choc. labs. I found one that really caught my attention. She's about a year old. They said she's great with other dogs and humans. I know she's crate trained. I have a doggie door and hardwood floors (easy cleanup) and a very large backyard. Anyway, I called and left a message.

I just wonder how all of these dogs would do on a camping excursion? My doxies want to hunt. I have to watch them like a hawk. They pick up a scent and their gone.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #67
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Thanks Toughy. I looked on petfinder.com for some rescued choc. labs. I found one that really caught my attention. She's about a year old. They said she's great with other dogs and humans. I know she's crate trained. I have a doggie door and hardwood floors (easy cleanup) and a very large backyard. Anyway, I called and left a message.

I just wonder how all of these dogs would do on a camping excursion? My doxies want to hunt. I have to watch them like a hawk. They pick up a scent and their gone.
Camping by yourself or within a campground filled with others dogs? Thats could make a big difference.

Where I used to work dogs that came into the campground (which was filled with other people with dogs) made the dogs very confused and freaked out many times.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:15 AM   #68
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

My guy is like that. He is psycho. There are lots of rabbits in my neighborhood and he cries and pulls every time I take him out/take him for a walk wanting to chase the rabbits. The way he cries is like he is in emotional pain that I am not letting him run after them.

I really should have considered putting him in those Jack Russell races, he is so fast! He is almost 6 now though, so I am guessing there are Jacks a lot quicker than him!

P.S. I am so glad you are getting a rescue!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #69
Nurse Darlin

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-agressive at times
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/babygirl
Relationship Status:
Never been more in love with my Sugarbear!

Nurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST ReputationNurse Darlin Has the BEST Reputation

I love my Great Pyrenees. Goliath is 17 months old and is my big baby. BIG baby!! Lol. He is crate trained...we call it his "home". I say "Goliath, go home", and he goes to his crate. When the lights start to go off at night, I don't even have to say it anymore. He gets in his crate and waits for me to close it.

When I am home, he sits at my feel or lays beside my bed (after forcing his fuzzy head under my hand several times so I will pet him!) If he is not in his crate and I walk through the door after a long day at work, he meets me at the door and forces his head under my hand for a quick petting. The instant I sit, his head is on my lap for more petting (and his entire body if I would give him the chance!!)

I wouldn't trade my boy for anything! He is no different than one of my children!!!
Nurse Darlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nurse Darlin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #70
femmedyke

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

femmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputation

Sachita I'm thinking about you during this very difficult time. I know folks sometimes say how lucky our beloved pets are to have us, but really, we're so very lucky to have them in our lives.

When Piscean and I merged our little lives together we came out with some kind of Brady Bunch. I had three cats, she had three cats and a pup and as luck or fate or I don't know bleeding hearts would have it, together we rescued four more pets. Three more cats and another dog.

Our pups are both rescued wheaten mixes, Fossil came with Piscean and is a darling and stubborn Wheaten Lhasa mix. Atticus is a wheaten poodle mix who is c-r-a-z-y but so very loving and sweet.

Our cats are all amazing, you would never even imagine how well (and clean) our household runs with eight cats. It is formerly nine, we just lost our beautiful 15 year old Petunia from cancer. We miss her very much; our sweet little tomboy girl, with her big red bell.

Caring for our brood is a part-time job but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. We're also lucky that we both work for specialty and referral hospitals so we get a very large break on vet bills, medications, care.. etc. I think, of course this is the only way we could have this many pets. Five years ago I am not sure I would have considered chemotherapy for any of our pets, but with the access to the medical care chemotherapy gave Piscean and I two more beautiful, good months with Petunia. I'd do it in a heartbeat again.

Last night in the ER at work we had our very first 'overheated' dog. The owners have been leaving their 14 year old lab outside because she had been urinating in the house. Well, yesterday it was 96 degrees out and Brandy literally fried. She presented with a 105 temp (likely had been 107 before she came) and had to be euthanized. It was hard to feel sorry for the owners (the adults) but very, very sad for the 10 year old young man who kind of understood what had happened and was losing his best friend.

...So a very random and all over the place (typical for me) post, but thought I would share.

Last edited by femmedyke; 05-27-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: I'm a space cadet.
femmedyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #71
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmedyke View Post
Sachita I'm thinking about you during this very difficult time. I know folks sometimes say how lucky our beloved pets are to have us, but really, we're so very lucky to have them in our lives.

When Piscean and I merged our little lives together we came out with some kind of Brady Bunch. I had three cats, she had three cats and a pup and as luck or fate or I don't know bleeding hearts would have it, together we rescued four more pets. Three more cats and another dog.

Our pups are both rescued wheaten mixes, Fossil came with Piscean and is a darling and stubborn Wheaten Lhasa mix. Atticus is a wheaten poodle mix who is c-r-a-z-y but so very loving and sweet.

Our cats are all amazing, you would never even imagine how well (and clean) our household runs with eight cats. It is formerly nine, we just lost our beautiful 15 year old Petunia from cancer. We miss her very much; our sweet little tomboy girl, with her big red bell.

Caring for our brood is a part-time job but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. We're also lucky that we both work for specialty and referral hospitals so we get a very large break on vet bills, medications, care.. etc. I think, of course this is the only way we could have this many pets. Five years ago I am not sure I would have considered chemotherapy for any of our pets, but with the access to the medical care chemotherapy gave Piscean and I two more beautiful, good months with Petunia. I'd do it in a heartbeat again.

Last night in the ER at work we had our very first 'overheated' dog. The owners have been leaving their 14 year old lab outside because she had been urinating in the house. Well, yesterday it was 96 degrees out and Brandy literally fried. She presented with a 105 temp (likely had been 107 before she came) and had to be euthanized. It was hard to feel sorry for the owners (the adults) but very, very sad for the 10 year old young man who kind of understood what had happened and was losing his best friend.

...So a very random and all over the place (typical for me) post, but thought I would share.

I'm blessed cause all 3 of my dogs have good health. Maggie is 11, Miguel is 6 and Tyler is 3. Still, it cost a pretty penny for routine health care. Worth every penny though.

Maggie goes outside whenever she wants. I have a doggie door. She gets overheated when she stays out too long hunting. It was 105 today. She doesn't know when give it up. I've had to spray her with water a couple of times to get her temp down. I worry about her when I'm at work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #72
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My French Bulldog has a floating patella on his right rear leg that has been acting up for about a month now. It takes forever to get this to calm down and "float" back to where it belongs. Of course, his wanting to jump off the sofa, tear around the dog park, and going up and down stairs does not help! He is on some medication, and it helps, but this is one of time taking things that is so hard with an active pooch. Who said Frenchies are couch potatos!! I now have ramps up for him in 2 places and he has to deal with just leash walks. He is not a happy little boy. I'm not so happy, either... I hope this is all that is going with him.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #73
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I have dogs I take care of (dog boarding) that I can let outside fencing off leash and they will stay right with me around the farm. I have others that I know will take off in a heartbeat. You can get a good sense when they are on a leash. Dogs that are very alert to their surroundings and excited over other animals will explore. Dogs that don't care about anything won't.

I could take my poodle and boxer camping anywhere. The only problem is Roscoe, the boxer is too friendly and very social. He doesnt know when to leave you a lone. His whole butt moves when he wags his tail. He has a severe underbite with teeth and tongue sticking out. Its hard for people to let him go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #74
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
I have dogs I take care of (dog boarding) that I can let outside fencing off leash and they will stay right with me around the farm. I have others that I know will take off in a heartbeat. You can get a good sense when they are on a leash. Dogs that are very alert to their surroundings and excited over other animals will explore. Dogs that don't care about anything won't.

I could take my poodle and boxer camping anywhere. The only problem is Roscoe, the boxer is too friendly and very social. He doesnt know when to leave you a lone. His whole butt moves when he wags his tail. He has a severe underbite with teeth and tongue sticking out. Its hard for people to let him go.
Yeah, dogs have their own unique personalities. I know my oldest doxie is a true adventurer. She's brave. Fierce! I worry about taking her camping because she's only 11 lbs. We have lots of Bobcats here. A bobcat could seriously injure her. And, we have other dangerous predators. I'm torn because I know how much she loves to explore. I want to take her camping/hiking but.... I wouldn't worry so much with a larger dog that can defend him or herself.

PS. I saw a pic of Roscoe and he is quite the handsome dude.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #75
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I'm blessed cause all 3 of my dogs have good health. Maggie is 11, Miguel is 6 and Tyler is 3. Still, it cost a pretty penny for routine health care. Worth every penny though.

Maggie goes outside whenever she wants. I have a doggie door. She gets overheated when she stays out too long hunting. It was 105 today. She doesn't know when give it up. I've had to spray her with water a couple of times to get her temp down. I worry about her when I'm at work.
Routine health care and good food! There are some good studies showing that nutrition does prolong lifespan for our fur-kids.

yes, I understand over heating- I have had short-nosed dogs for years (Boxers & now my Frenchie) and even in a more mild climate, hot days can be very bad. Glad i don't live in some of the areas I did for years- all were very hot in summer. Big time air conditioning costs.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #76
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Things you can do when camping with doggies.........

run a line between 2 trees (bushs, staked to the ground, etc) that are close together (make sure you don't damage the tree bark), attach a 10-20 foot lead to the line and the doggie.....make sure you have fresh water in a bowl that the puppy can easily reach....they can get tangled up so keep an eye on them...

get a couple (or 3 or 4...however big you want it) of xpens attached to each other and make a dog enclosure....they come in various heights....remember to stablizethe pens in a couple of places so it doesn't fall down if they bump it and again lots of fresh water inside the pen.....

also if you live in poison oak or poison ivy country, you can get pet wipes for their coats that will remove the poison stuff.....ask at your local pet store (go to a locally owned one...only go to the pet express, petco if that's all that is available to you)
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #77
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

I have a question about cats who groom themselves bald.

When I brought Elphaba home she had lots of bald patches. Now, she was a rescue kitty and I know where she came from and it was a really bad neglect situation - so I attributed the bald patches to that. I figured they'd grow back in.

They didn't, and they got worse. Her entire belly is entirely bald (well, there's peach-fuzz/new growth hair but no real fur coat) as are the insides of her front legs. I've taken her to the vet and ruled out the regular stuff (no UTI, she's totally healthy, no fleas) and she isn't a stress bucket (she's actually the friendliest and most snuggly cat I've ever met) but for some reason she continues to lick herself bald. Her skin is fine and intact (no scabs or scars) so I'm not SUPER worried - but I do wish she'd stop because I always think she's going to get cold (drama).

I've seen her doing it several times, and it's just -really- hard grooming, no pulling or biting of the hair. When I've seen her doing it I've tried distracting her with love - but the truth is that I see her doing it very rarely. I think this is probably something that she does when I'm out of the apartment.

I figure it's an abandonment issue thing, because the person she was with before me would leave her locked out on the balcony and go away for weeks at a time (no food, no water, dirty litterbox, no love, nobody popping in to check on her) so she probably gets upset when I go to work. I've tried the feliway plug-in diffuser which is supposed to make cats feel calm and comfy...but it didn't help at all.

Is it -really- not a big deal (the vet says it's not, but I don't believe him)? Is there something else I can/should try?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #78
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Yeah, dogs have their own unique personalities. I know my oldest doxie is a true adventurer. She's brave. Fierce! I worry about taking her camping because she's only 11 lbs. We have lots of Bobcats here. A bobcat could seriously injure her. And, we have other dangerous predators. I'm torn because I know how much she loves to explore. I want to take her camping/hiking but.... I wouldn't worry so much with a larger dog that can defend him or herself.

PS. I saw a pic of Roscoe and he is quite the handsome dude.

Roscoe is the best dog in the world. Not too bright but I love him with all my heart. I found him at the dump several years ago. Someone dropped him off and drove away. I brought him back to the farm to find a home for him. He came into my laugh during a really tough time and made me laugh so hard I peed my pants. Needless to say, I found a home for him. lol

BIG ALERT - READ

I spray the grounds here with natural stuff and started long before tick season. I was down by the greenhouse and I somehow got a few ticks on me. One bite me on my base of my spine. A few days later I started to get sick, sore muscles, headache, sick sick. Today I'm sick and feel like crap. I have a faint rash but no doubt I have Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.

This year will be the worse for fleas and ticks. Even if you like in suburbs you should check for ticks. It's important to spray your yard. Check my blog for natural control www.farmgoddess.com - Remember tho... you can't spray one time and be done with it. You must spray every few weeks if you're using natural and more often if it's raining a lot. The products I suggest are not cheap BUT if you comb through the spray good and then spritz a little before they go outside the ticks and fleas won't even bother jumping on them. I do not use Frontline or the like on my dogs but I also work very hard to keep them flea and tick free.

You can also buy large bottle of essential oils like peppermint, lemongrass, rosemary, mix strong with a carrier oil. Rub it into their coats.

If you can get sick like this from a flea bite imagine how sick your fur baby can get.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #79
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Given the things you have ruled out, it is most likely to be a grain allergy. Buy grain free food. i would bet money that within a week, you'll notice less grooming and in a few weeks the hair will be noticably thicker in those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
I have a question about cats who groom themselves bald.

When I brought Elphaba home she had lots of bald patches. Now, she was a rescue kitty and I know where she came from and it was a really bad neglect situation - so I attributed the bald patches to that. I figured they'd grow back in.

They didn't, and they got worse. Her entire belly is entirely bald (well, there's peach-fuzz/new growth hair but no real fur coat) as are the insides of her front legs. I've taken her to the vet and ruled out the regular stuff (no UTI, she's totally healthy, no fleas) and she isn't a stress bucket (she's actually the friendliest and most snuggly cat I've ever met) but for some reason she continues to lick herself bald. Her skin is fine and intact (no scabs or scars) so I'm not SUPER worried - but I do wish she'd stop because I always think she's going to get cold (drama).

I've seen her doing it several times, and it's just -really- hard grooming, no pulling or biting of the hair. When I've seen her doing it I've tried distracting her with love - but the truth is that I see her doing it very rarely. I think this is probably something that she does when I'm out of the apartment.

I figure it's an abandonment issue thing, because the person she was with before me would leave her locked out on the balcony and go away for weeks at a time (no food, no water, dirty litterbox, no love, nobody popping in to check on her) so she probably gets upset when I go to work. I've tried the feliway plug-in diffuser which is supposed to make cats feel calm and comfy...but it didn't help at all.

Is it -really- not a big deal (the vet says it's not, but I don't believe him)? Is there something else I can/should try?
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #80
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Given the things you have ruled out, it is most likely to be a grain allergy. Buy grain free food. i would bet money that within a week, you'll notice less grooming and in a few weeks the hair will be noticably thicker in those areas.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.