Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,856 Times in 2,470 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Retireing and Retirement for GLBTQs.....

Hello folks!!

I read this Newsweek article today about how more real estate developers and other folks in the GLBTQ community are starting to build and develop living communities for older and retired GLBTQ's. I, for my part, would be interested in spending my later years in such a place. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/26/w...-retiring.html

Anyway, there hasn't (so far) been any threads here geared towards retirement and retirement issues/concerns, so I thought I would start one.

I'm curious to know how folks feel and what your plans are for your later years. How are you planning for your retirement?? Will you sell your home and go into a GLBTQ retirement community?? What if it involved moving from the area where you are now in order to live, specifically, in a community with other older, retired GLBTQ's??

I'll start this thing off with saying that I'd certainly be interested in living in a GLBTQ retirement community. I'd be willing to move (hell, I'd LOVE to move from Vegas!!) to a different area of the country to be with other Queers!! I love the idea of a community of older Queers living together!!

Oh, and I could totally see myself and Tabs living next door to June and Kat or Jack and 'Dusa!!! June has already said that she cooks in large volumes and I am pretty good with a grill.

~Theo~
Old 05-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
Hello folks!!

I read this Newsweek article today about how more real estate developers and other folks in the GLBTQ community are starting to build and develop living communities for older and retired GLBTQ's. I, for my part, would be interested in spending my later years in such a place. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/26/w...-retiring.html

Anyway, there hasn't (so far) been any threads here geared towards retirement and retirement issues/concerns, so I thought I would start one.

I'm curious to know how folks feel and what your plans are for your later years. How are you planning for your retirement?? Will you sell your home and go into a GLBTQ retirement community?? What if it involved moving from the area where you are now in order to live, specifically, in a community with other older, retired GLBTQ's??

I'll start this thing off with saying that I'd certainly be interested in living in a GLBTQ retirement community. I'd be willing to move (hell, I'd LOVE to move from Vegas!!) to a different area of the country to be with other Queers!! I love the idea of a community of older Queers living together!!

Oh, and I could totally see myself and Tabs living next door to June and Kat or Jack and 'Dusa!!! June has already said that she cooks in large volumes and I am pretty good with a grill.

~Theo~
Move to Portland! Full disclosure: a lot of retirees from here (i.e. snowbirds) go to Arizona for the winter.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,856 Times in 2,470 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Move to Portland! Full disclosure: a lot of retirees from here (i.e. snowbirds) go to Arizona for the winter.
I've heard that, Bully!!! I think the article also mentioned that there was a GLBTQ community somewhere up in Oregon!! I find this whole concept very exciting!!! Being GLBTQ can be a very lonely and isolating experience for people in their later years. I know how much I value and appreciate this community, so being with good peeps like this would make mine and Tab's later years so much better!!!

Vegas is soooooo friggin' HOT in the summer. Believe me, I am far from being permanently attached to this city. Really, the only reason I transferred here, almost 10 years ago, is because my Pop and my stepmother are here and they're up in years and have some health issues. My sister and I worked it out between us that she would live near Mother and help her and I would be near Pop and Betty, to help them. So far it's worked out, but Jeebuz have pity....this valley has been getting hotter and hotter every year. Last year and the year before, the temp hit over 120. Just thinking about it gave me a heat rash.

I'd love to live in a cooler climate in a nice GLBTQ community.

~Theo~
Old 05-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Yes it really would be awesome to have a cool GLBTQ community to retire to. It's been rainy and dreary a lot here lately, but I do love Oregon and Portland. I will probably keep my ole crotchedy self here.

Awesome thread. It will be cool to here about any resources people have.

If you visit Portland June promises to make cupcakes!

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote