Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Mir

How Do You Identify?:
Masculine Woman (Two-Spirit)
Relationship Status:
Married

Mir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the rough
Default Medieval history/hobby/reenactment/recreation...

Greetings, all!

I want this to be a thread for all things medieval - while I'm a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, there are other hobby research and reenactment/recreation groups out there and I want to include all of us.

(There was a thread on the previous forum called Butch Femme SCAdians... we had some neat discussions there.)

Let me give a little background for my own aspect of this hobby: I've been in the SCA since 1988 (as we say, anno societatis 22). Our particular group does research and recreation (unlike re-enactors we don't exactly choreograph actual battles or exactly copy illumination - we use the learning to test our own mettle and ideas in their asthetic and tradition.)

In the SCA, I portray a Russian merchant from Novgorod who keeps a warehouse near Chepstow, on the English / Welsh border in the 1220s. Because we're recreation not reenactment, Tvorimir Danilov was not a real person I can prove - in fact we don't let you portray a specific famous person. Instead, he's a valid example of that sort of person from that time. I wear the clothes and portray the background and attitudes (it makes a good joke when I send the dog to be my wife's guard on merchants' row - she SURELY can't be allowed to go alone!). However, I am also a Marshal (safety official), a Chirurgeon (first aid officer), and Herald (announcer). I do enough work and leadership that I was elevated to the peerage as a Companion of the Order of the Pelican, and am in direct fealty to the Crown. In the SCA, our rulers win a tournament for the headache...I mean privilege... of ruling for 6 months.

So, here's a snapshot. I think our modern era can learn a lot from the chivalrous ideals, and I go play a game on weekends that gives me a focus for learning, an excuse to teach and show what I'm learning, and a community I've enjoyed for years.

Anyone else?

in service,
Mir

Master Tvorimir Danilov, OP, MC, GPoAT

(Here's one of my pet projects)
http://www.cafepress.com/conalscorner/4747221 - Mir's Quest is an effort to get those ideals thought about and discussed, as described in Lord Conal's store...

Last edited by Mir; 06-06-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: afterthought
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mir For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,484 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation

We'are In the process of a total make over to our bedroom which we are doing in medieval style it been quite fun , Finished painting last weekend. Found a Handmade iron bed we had to drive 200 miles for . and been in high search for lamps dressers ect. Found some great shields for the wall . BLaze loves the swords. I will be makeing the curtains , its awsome! maye I'll post a pic......
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,612 Times in 3,973 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I , too, am a member of SCA, and am a 13 th cent woodswoman in the carpathian mountians. Taken from the archetype of the baba yaga, Magda'elena Bada is the token remnant of the Old Ways after Xtianity took over her village.

I live right by Pennsic, which is the largest international SCA event. It is a two week period where people stay, camping, in households and shires, in character and period garb. You cannot buy tickets to come and watch, which is more like a Renne Faire. People from over the pond actually rent storage units year round close to the Pennsic ground, so they dont have to ship their equipment back and forth.
(I cannot attend, because I cannot camp and they do not sell one day tickets. )

From swordsmanship to fencing, from leather work to spinning, from dance to barding, thereis something to be learned and enjoyed. Developing my character persona, helped me learn more about my family ancestry, for that is what I used as a jumping board for my persona.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am very intrigued by this! I've been to one renaissance festival and absolutely fell in love with it - the clothing, the way they spoke.. and you're telling me there is a group that, excuse me if i'm wrong, re-enacts/re-lives it?

Tell me more?
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

Greetings,
Just looking for a fix it advice thread when I saw this. It's war season! Huzzah! I hope you are all having a safe and joyful summer. Yesterday we cleaned all the SCA stuff out of the garage, organized the camp gear and found enough odds and ends to put me in armor. The practice will either kill of cure me. A new/old group is starting nearby. I'm so excited.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galahad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm actually not a member of the SCA but I saw this thread and the geekgirl in me just HAD to come read it. People have been trying to get me into SCA for 30 years, since I first sat down to play D&D. I used to go to RenFaire in California but haven't been to one since I moved up here.

I do have a thing for Medieval history and am re-re-reading William Manchester's "A World Lit Only by Fire" because every now and again I like to return to it.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

You just missed the West /Antir kingdoms war weekend in Gold Beach,OR. I hope you find a group near you and try it, discussions with others who love history and living just a little bit of the best parts.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread. So interesting.

I just found out that my son, who is getting married on Oct 9, is having a medieval wedding of sorts. He and his future bride will be dressed the part as will the wedding party, decorations and theme to the receptions, as well as the music.

The wedding will be in large house downtown that is some sort of museum or something.

Have been told that the 'mothers' don't have to and are not expected to dress the part. But, am looking forward to seeing it all.

Saw this thread and thought wow, i may actually learn something from this.

Medieval dress, speech and etiquite have always facinated me. Great thread.

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

BFF...I might have some accessories you could have to compliment your garb. While I am a woodwoman, travelers who hear of me and seek me out, pay me in handsome prizes from their cultures. I have many a shiny thing a beautiful woman such as yourself should wear to a courted wedding...
The Following User Says Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
BFF...I might have some accessories you could have to compliment your garb. While I am a woodwoman, travelers who hear of me and seek me out, pay me in handsome prizes from their cultures. I have many a shiny thing a beautiful woman such as yourself should wear to a courted wedding...
Well, ty for the compliment honey. Yes, that would be a good idea to maybe accessorize something that would be "fitting".

oh and i also have been to the Renaissance Festival in Minnesota as desdansmoncoeur described, a few years back. Wonderful, wonderful party. Walked around with a chicken leg (forget the proper term for that). I do remember it was hard to find out where the bathrooms were and get a response that I actually understood. However, my southern accent played a part in the communication gap as well.

But, had a blast.
Maya Angelou

Last edited by princessbelle; 07-07-2010 at 07:28 PM.
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

There is a magazine called Design Toscano that sells shields, armour, swords, and such. They are in Elk Grove Village, Il. 1-800-525-0733. www.DesignToscano.com. Also you can follow them on fb and twitter.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Greetings Lords and Ladies,
I am sitting here trying to get used to this helm. It's an exercise in overcoming claustrophobia. I have a hand me down Japanese type helm with a chin strap. I don't know what I hate more at this point. The heaviness(eight pounds), or that my chin is held tight, I think it's the chin. I know it's better than a strap under my throat, but having my chin held freaks me out more than a bit. I'm trying to stretch out the time I can wear this thing here.... It helps to hold my glasses up to the grill. I'm not so frantic if I can see. If I can ever lay on my back in armour I'll have the claustrophobia whipped. No practice yet for me until I get a things fitting a little safer. Besides, it's just too hot here. Last night it was ninety at nine o'clock, and eighty plus at six thirty this am with smoke and humidity. Next week I hope to be ready to get hit. At my age, I worry about my chest/heart area getting hit, or my shoulders. Joints just take so long to heal. I can tell already that I want another helm. This is compressing my neck. Is that ok? A little over 13 minutes today.
How long do you wear your helm? How do you build strength in your neck? How do people get their glasses in there with them (I've seen them and never thought to ask)? What type of pauldrons do people like best?
Galahad

Last edited by Galahad; 07-16-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typing blindly
Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Dear Sir G... I have always marveled at the warriors for wearing stifling and stuffy suits and togs to battle. I have served as water bearer before and have witnessed the sweat pour down faces from helms that MUST be worn.

Pennsic is but a short time away. I could not attend again this year because of the need for surgeries. I do hope I will be blessed enough to participate next year. And, to join in equestrian activities as well, and coursing hounds.

adieu.

mags
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

M'Lady Softness,
I hope your knee (and the rest) is better and you will be able to attend the event again soon. Pennsic sounds and looks so wondrous, however, I don't know if I could stand the humidity you have there though. It must be more than a little frustrating for you. So near and yet so far. I love to see the photos

http://www.pbase.com/darter02/sca

For anyone wondering, this is an almost all around view of what happens at a war. Pennsic is one of the biggest.
Galahad
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
Mir

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Married

Mir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
You just missed the West /Antir kingdoms war weekend in Gold Beach,OR. I hope you find a group near you and try it, discussions with others who love history and living just a little bit of the best parts.
You were there??? Now I'm REALLY pissed I couldn't make it! Next year?
Mir
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Mir

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Married

Default Cometh the Chirurgeon...

Galahad, that helm needs help. No, in that heat, don't fight in a claustrophobic helm.

The compression may be your neck muscles needing to beef up for its weight - that is an issue new fighters have. The only real workaround is a helm that rests on your torso armor, and that adds more weight there and is less mobile. Strengthening your neck is like the exercises for your shield arm - just work up to it.

To all these wonderful people who have been talking while I've had my head in a bucket - thank you so much! It's really gratifying. I'm a SCA lifer, at this point, and my hobby has been a profound influence in the quality of person I am. one of you I thanked for posting, I was actually thanking for your signature!

in service to the dream,
Mir
The Following User Says Thank You to Mir For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
Mir

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Married

Default SCA Census has orientation and crown/coronet questions!!

http://www.sca.org/scacensus2010/index.html please go answer - I think it was good for me to think through, took about 20 minutes, and I'm so tickled they asked about orientation - I've a male persona (in more than just the SCA!) and why *can't* I have a lady serve with me as baron and baroness? What, the people polling can't express whether they want us?

Anyway, I'm excited about the survey and really want as many of us to respond as possible - I want them to know we're out here!

in service to the Dream,
Mir

(Galahad, are any of my BF posts useful to crosspost here?)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mir For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #18
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

My Lord Mir!!
So glad to see you posting again. I hope your chirurgeon teaching duties are over for the summer and you have time for yourself. I am very grateful for the helm advice. I was feeling quite the failure over the neck issue. Now I know I am not alone and just have to keep up a stiff neck for a little longer. I will go slower and I am not going to practice in the heat. 111 here today.

I did not get to Gold Beach and the War this year. I posted it for Dreadgeek who only needs a gentle nudge in our direction. I dream of going to that war too. The cool ocean breeze.......green.....

Yes, many of the things you wrote are worth repeating. I never read enough and I'm sure others will feel the same. If they are on this thread they will be.

Survey is done and yes, Other, never felt so good to click. And the same sex couples as Sovereigns and Baronial rulers, the world looks much better suddenly.

It is great to see you posting again my lord and I look forward to reading many more from you.

Your servant,
Galahad
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

thank you for posting this survery..I have filled it out and submitted
The Following User Says Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #20
Gabriella

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name....
Relationship Status:
Free to fly as high as I want......

Gabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST ReputationGabriella Has the BEST Reputation

I also belonged to the SCA a very long time ago, a friend who invited me to the events was actually one of the first female knights and I can't remember all the titles she held, her husband was very involved as well. My persona was gypsy my name was Bibiana and the time line was 12th to 14th century. My son was around 7 or 8 yrs old and he loved it, living history doesn't get much better and they really enjoyed him and always included him in everything..As a gypsy I sang and danced and told alot of fortunes.. Hadn't thought about that for ago times so, thanks for the little aaahhh moment...
Gabriella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriella For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluefeather, medieval, middle ages, sca