Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Ideas for Knitting

Ok. So, the rest of the world thinks that knitting isn't very "manly" but I've been pondering it as a way to make gifts, be a little bit more frugal and something to pass the time. I was thinking of getting "Son of Stitch'n'Bitch" and perhaps making K a nice big sweater (she likes big, bulky stuff) for her birthday.

If you're "guy/butch" was to make you something knitted, what would you want? Sweater? Blanket? iPod cozy?
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Linus, I think this is wonderful!!! At first, I thought You were just trying to reel Merrick in!

But this is great....and, while I have never HAD an iPod cozy <smile> I would be charmed to the nth degree to receive one from my Guy.....if I HAD a Guy....how sweet is THIS!

You go on with Your bad knitting self now!

~Diva
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Lady Jewel

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Lady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST Reputation

Linus, if my guy were to make me ANYTHING...I would love it just for the fact that he crafted with his own hands with me in mind.

Warmly,
Jewel
Lady Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Linus!! What a grand idea!

Well Nick's not my guy, but he crocheted me a hat which I ADORE--it's made from really soft bamboo yarn in a colorway called Rose Camo and looks kinda like an impressionist painting of the miniature wild roses you see at the beach, all shades of rose and green together--and then, THEN, he taught ME to knit! *big grin*

I think if Gryph were to make me anything, I would probably want it to be smaller like the hat, maybe a scarf or something, because I like being able to wear the love but I think making a sweater might drive him crazy. *grin*
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Linus,

I had someone knit me a cigar holder. I am not kidding. It was fabulous. I used it until I wore it out, and the bottom fell apart. I took it everywhere with me, and used it like a cigar case.

Another idea would be to make kleenex box holders. Maybe if you can learn to sew/knit in their initial or a symbol of something they enjoy (like a sailboat, a tennis racket, a lacross stick, a football, etc.).

I think it is good to have a hobby to keep your mind active. There is nothing wrong with that.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Little brother, if Rosie Grier can needlepoint, you can knit to your heart's content. I would be amazingly touched if someone took the time to knit me a sweater, crochet me a blanket, any of that. Gender/label/id....who cares! The idea that anyone would take that time would be what counted.

I have a little ceramic heart I got from Diva a year or so ago. I treasure it. Not just because it is incredibly artistic, but because it was made and given with love. It was one of the first things I unpacked and put out today.

That's what counts in the end. Love.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Arwen, thank you for that post. It was so well said.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Are you familiar with Lion Brand yarn? They have a newsletter that offers free patterns among other things. I have a ton of their free patterns saved--not that I've actually WORKED on any of them.

Pixie is a crocheter and I am going to get her to help me learn more. I have found the huge granny squares that I've been working on for a blanket. I'm going to start on that again.

I love granny squares but I have to reteach myself how to do them EVERY TIME. sigh.

So Linus, can this thread be about knitting and crocheting and tatting and all those fun fiber arts or should we start one for that specifically?

http://www.lionbrand.com by the way!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post

So Linus, can this thread be about knitting and crocheting and tatting and all those fun fiber arts or should we start one for that specifically?

http://www.lionbrand.com by the way!
By all means, use this as a knitting thread. If we all share, then we all benefit.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Old 11-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

I just taught myself how to knit over the weekend I have always crochet but had always struggled with knitting. Now I CANT STOP!! I love it
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

MsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST Reputation

Linus my dear, should you wish to learn to knit, do drop by our Queer Knitting Circle, Monday nights .. I'll do some thread somewhere with details, and sned you an invite on FB
MsMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMerrick View Post
Linus my dear, should you wish to learn to knit, do drop by our Queer Knitting Circle, Monday nights .. I'll do some thread somewhere with details, and sned you an invite on FB

And look what the cat drug in! Hey Merrick! Fancy meeting you here! I knew the knitting thread would get you. hee

Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

a penis cozy
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
Kast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
hye
Relationship Status:
in love with her

Kast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST Reputation

yawn........
Kast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #15
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

MsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Her View Post
a penis cozy
The crochet patterns I've seen, have been a tad better than the knitting ones, but.. Knit on
Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #16
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

Let's see if I can do this right.
Should you be in NYC, or visiting, and wish to hang out with some Queer Knitters, please do drop by our weekly Stitch n Bitch ..
Specifics here

Last edited by Linus; 11-15-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Corrected the URL.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #17
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMerrick View Post
Let's see if I can do this right.
Should you be in NYC, or visiting, and wish to hang out with some Queer Knitters, please do drop by our weekly Stitch n Bitch ..
Specifics here
I'll have to try in the new year. And even then it'll be iffy. Sigh.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Crone

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Yours, Mine, Ours?

Crone is on a distinguished road
Default Loom knitting

I've started knitting with those round or oblong plastic knitting looms by Provo Craft (Knifty).

They're fun, easy to work with and it takes the worry out of knitting because you don't really have to count.

I've made two baby beanies, and a couple of scarves and a lap pad.

Any other Knifty loomers?

Crone : )

Crone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #19
Wryly

How Do You Identify?:
bemused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
polite ones, please
Relationship Status:
single butch

Thanked 1,568 Times in 620 Posts
Wryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST Reputation

Linus -
I have that S&B book. I haven't actually used it so if you'd like I can send it to you - - or give it to you when you're up this way.
Wryly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly View Post
Linus -
I have that S&B book. I haven't actually used it so if you'd like I can send it to you - - or give it to you when you're up this way.
Rats! Wish you had told me earlier.. I already got one. Ah well.. you could always sell it on Queerbay