Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Jo .....laughin.....I think the 'whatever that means' certainly holds true.........

Arwen........by connection I meant my family has been in the US for generations....I am 300+ years removed from Europe. It's hard to think of my family as immigrants to this country.....I am a US American.....hard to see any connection other than family members LEFT Europe. I've been to Berlin and Amsterdam and felt no connection to the land or people. My connection is to this land.....mostly to New Mexico and west/panhandle Texas.

Since I am mostly Scot-Irish, perhaps I might feel a connection to Ireland/Scotland if I ever go there.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #22
firie
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

firie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputation

I grew up with the understanding that my grandfather's family (maternal) was "Black Irish." Interestingly, most of the people in his family were/are blonde and blue-eyed and "Black Irish" was always discussed as a condition of poverty, like so poor you were constantly dirty, and so blackened by dirt/soot, and my grandfather was quite ashamed of that because he grew up quite poor.

I have read a bit about it, because it has always intrigued me. No one, apparently, can quite pin down exactly where it started or why, and it is sometimes pejoratively linked to poverty and so a classist slur (association to the potato famine (black potatoes/black death)) or to shanty towns, or to the very poor immigrants coming into the US as a result of the famine, but also to phenotype (African, Native American, French, Jewish, Caribbean, and even Spanish), and with the exception of the "Spanish/Irish" phenotype, was generally thought to be a racist slur, and a product of the entrenched racial discrimination carried over from English sentiment to the US toward the Irish as "savages" along with Africans and Native Americans--some Irish were enslaved and shipped to parts of Africa by the English (there is some speculation that the name came from the Irish that actually stayed on the continent, but it also seems unlikely). Most of what I have read seems to suggest, however, that the actual usage of "Black Irish" is a purely American phenomenon, and that the Irish don't really use the reference, and that it might have connections to where the Irish found themselves in early African and Native American slave history in the US.

There are very romanticized stories that "Black Irish" came from a mix of Irish and elite Spanish blood, an attempt in folklore by the Irish to step up in the world a bit, and so perhaps they actually fabricated a very glorious event at one point in history, where a ship in the Spanish Armada wrecked into the coast of Eire and Irish ladies felt awful for the worn Spanish warriors, and so nursed them, and then had their children, and thus you have the link to darkened hair and eyes so associated with these mythical phenotypes of "Black Irish"; this, and other variations of the Spanish connection, to most scholars, is complete myth.

The whole topic is something I have been interested in for some time. Here is a neat look at some of the theories out there, link here.

I am now going to read the links about "Black Dutch" because I have never heard of that before and must know if this phrase is as curious in history as "Black Irish."
firie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to firie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #23
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

When I was growing up I found out that in my grandpa lineage was a story about the black italians in our family,many pictures of gramps show him as very dark.I ask once when I was a kid about that cause one of my play mates made comment about it,then I was told we had moorish line of decent from the 600's ad on his side of the family.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #24
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
Arwen........by connection I meant my family has been in the US for generations....I am 300+ years removed from Europe. It's hard to think of my family as immigrants to this country.....I am a US American.....hard to see any connection other than family members LEFT Europe. I've been to Berlin and Amsterdam and felt no connection to the land or people. My connection is to this land.....mostly to New Mexico and west/panhandle Texas.

Gotcha. I tell people I am hopelessly Euro-centric in my genetics. Nary a Native American aka Aboriginal in my background.

I can point to a Cole Younger in my tree but have no proof that he was the actual bandit.

My great-great-great grandfather helped found the Democratic party of Travis county (this is not something to be proud of if you know political history) and I am apparently a part of the Austin pioneer families. W00t.

Okay, so that does tickle me a bit because it's kinda cool to be able to drive somewhere and see the ruins of his home.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #25
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread Arwen.

I'm not that into the geneology, but my Dad sure was. He traced our lineage back to the 1500s in England. Apparently Bartholemew S. came over as an indentured servant and is the only registered S. to come through Elis Island.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #26
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post
Great thread Arwen.

I'm not that into the geneology, but my Dad sure was. He traced our lineage back to the 1500s in England. Apparently Bartholemew S. came over as an indentured servant and is the only registered S. to come through Elis Island.

That's awesome! I love hits like that. It's a rush when you are researching and you find someone else's tree.

The other cool missing link is that there are a bundh of Herman Conring men in my line. We might be related to THE Herman Conring who is considered the father of German law. Huh!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #27
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Some of my friends in the kitchen thread were talking geneaology and looking for this thread, so I came in to give it a big BUMP!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #28
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Currently HOOKED on "Who Do You Think You Were" (Friday nights on NBC) and still diving into Ancestry.com. I found a 4th great grandfather who died at the Battle of the Wilderness. He fought for the Union and had also fought in the Mexican-American war. He immigrated here from Germany.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

My family is greek on my father's side and italian on my mother's side but according to relatives in Greece my lineage goes back to Alexander the Great, I am a converted Jew by choice though!!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #30
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
My family is greek on my father's side and italian on my mother's side but according to relatives in Greece my lineage goes back to Alexander the Great, I am a converted Jew by choice though!!
I'm researching via ancestry.com and highly recommend it as a useful tool if you really want to get deep into it. Fascinating.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #31
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default yes!

My family is Scandinavian. Swedish and Finnish. We are in contact with relatives in Finland, but not Sweden which is my Dads side. My Finish relatives live near Lapland. My cousin is doing the genealogy for the whole family on my Moms side. Our family goes back and forth visiting between Finland and the US. Now I know where my love of Coffee and Tango come from. lol. You would not believe it but the Tango is the most popular dance in Finland. We are know for being HOT BLODDED. There is also a huge Gypsy population in Finland. My Mom was raised speaking Finnish, but us kids never learned it. LOL, it was saved for secret conversations between my Mom and Grandma.

There you have it!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #32
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Hi everyone,how ya been?Hear lately I have been geting some emails from my life .com...seem like a whole bunch of folks are looking for someone with my name..even my x.Bad vibes with that one.Anyone ever hear about mylife .com?
I havent till they poped up in my emails.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #33
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Hi everyone,how ya been?Hear lately I have been geting some emails from my life .com...seem like a whole bunch of folks are looking for someone with my name..even my x.Bad vibes with that one.Anyone ever hear about mylife .com?
I havent till they poped up in my emails.
Never heard of it. Sounds fishy if they are sending you emails and you didn't sign up for it.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

My family (both mother and father side) are Acadian. On my father's side they traced back to the first Acadian settlers in the 1600s in Grande Pre, Nova Scotia. And farther back to France. We've survived the Grande Deportation and I believe I have some distant cousins in Louisiana (Cajuns).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #35
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
My family (both mother and father side) are Acadian. On my father's side they traced back to the first Acadian settlers in the 1600s in Grande Pre, Nova Scotia. And farther back to France. We've survived the Grande Deportation and I believe I have some distant cousins in Louisiana (Cajuns).
That's very cool, Linus. Tracing backwards, to me, is fascinating.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #36
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Never heard of it. Sounds fishy if they are sending you emails and you didn't sign up for it.
Nope I didnt sign up or ask for then to contact me,but on the first email it had on it my xhubby(nut case) was looking for me,this thing is comeing from yahoo.com.If the old fart really was looking for me all he has to do is go to the place my son works then sugest J get me to call...not that I would.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #37
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

So, I've recently become aware of a couple of those "skeletons".

We are somehow related to ( maternal grandmother's side) the White's of West Virginia. ( re: The wild and wonderful white's of west va). I am also the great great neice of Devil Anse Hatfield ( yes of Hatfield/McCoy feud).

I joined ancestry.com for the free membership to see what else I could find, but will try to hook up with my Aunt who has been tracing at least my maternal grandparent's roots and see what all she has dug up. I know part of my grandmothers family are Melungeon, and part I may never know as her parents were killed for being a "mixed" couple. I will hopefully find more of my grand dad's family and then I will begin looking more on my Dad's side.

What I do know so far on my Dad's side, is his father is Scot with lines back to Robert the Bruce and his mother was Dane and Polish. It may take a few years to track them and I may never be able to find them all, but it should prove very interesting!

Cool thread idea!

Thanks!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #38
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,578 Times in 402 Posts
wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

When you want to try ancestry I recommend your local library. Most libraries also have geneaology groups that will help you get started. My father is a geneaology nut. To the point of our trip to London was spent in the reading room of the British Museum and a couple of private libraries. But then again my family was started by a minor noble getting a holding courtesy of William the Conqueror. Now we are delving into my mother's side which is full of skeletons and founding families. A good way to search family records is through the Latter Day Saints and if you transcribe census or draft cards you get unprecedented access to their extensive records for free.
wolfbittenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolfbittenpoet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #39
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I am also the great great neice of Devil Anse Hatfield ( yes of Hatfield/McCoy feud).
i am supposedly related to the Hatfields. My geneology is all appalachian all the way back on both sides. There is one family member who was an early settler of Perry Co, Kentucky. i love this story about him that i found on the internet. This is in the 1790's when he was scouting around to find a place to settle in Kentucky:

Quote:
Hunting and Exploring expedition to Kentucky with Gideon Ison, on horseback. Camped at mouth of Beech Fork on Big Leatherwood. To explore, one headed up the stream and the other down. Gideon found an Indian camp of the previous night, returned to his camp. He decided that if William hadn't returned by the first star he would head home. When that time came, he mounted his horse and saw William approaching far off, carrying a deer. When William asked why he had been on his horse, he told him. William said he had seen an Indian peeking over a log and pretended not to see him until he passed him, then he bagan running and turned to see the Indian running in the other direction. They stayed up until first light, then headed home.
i love the brave explorers, one about to leave without his buddy and the other -- my ancestor -- running from the Indian he spotted. i just love it that this is the only story that survives about him.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #40
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Martina!

I love those stories also.

Thank you for sharing that!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post: