Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #21
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
No sooner had we got home from Austin on sunday that our little chihuahua/shitzu two year old started having a seizure.
She has had about 5 in her lifetime now.
This one and the one previous (4 mnths ago) continued until we got her to emergency vet for a shot of valium.
We took her to our vet yesterday and are waiting on blood work to come back.

I thought it was worth a shot to see if anyone here has gone thru this with such
a young dog.

So sorry to hear about your baby's illness, Dude. That's scary.

I did know a few dogs (grooming clients and friends' dogs) that were epileptic at a young age. One of them was known to be a case of in-breeding (brother/sister combination.) The others we did not know about.

The triggers seemed to be overstimulation much like in children. When the dogs were stressed or tired, a seizure could happen.

One was a food allergy of all things. Dog reacted to carrots.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #22
Deborah

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babydoll is a start....
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Livingston 4/20/2013

Thanked 1,454 Times in 276 Posts
Deborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
No sooner had we got home from Austin on sunday that our little chihuahua/shitzu two year old started having a seizure.
She has had about 5 in her lifetime now.
This one and the one previous (4 mnths ago) continued until we got her to emergency vet for a shot of valium.
We took her to our vet yesterday and are waiting on blood work to come back.

I thought it was worth a shot to see if anyone here has gone thru this with such
a young dog.
UPDATE; blood work back they are thinking she may have a Liver Shunt...going back for another enzime test Friday morning....anyone have experience with this? Scary stuff...
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqueline View Post
UPDATE; blood work back they are thinking she may have a Liver Shunt...going back for another enzime test Friday morning....anyone have experience with this? Scary stuff...

Scary indeed. I believe a liver shunt is fixable via surgery. A very close friend is a vet in Denver. Hang in there. May I light a candle for your little dog?
Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #24
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Thanked 10,606 Times in 1,477 Posts
Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy

shit...
she was back to her normal self yesterday only to have another seizure this am.
fortunately we had a rectal dose of valium to stop it quickly and gave her some honey
in case its low blood sugar too getting her all outta wack.

if this next test comes back bad he's referring us to a vet in Dallas for an mri
then surgery
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #25
jfreas

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

jfreas is on a distinguished road
Default Grade your dog food!

This is an interesting link- Grade your dog food.

http://zenathepug.blogspot.com/2009/...food-rate.html
jfreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #26
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
shit...
fortunately we had a rectal dose of valium to stop it quickly and gave her some honey

if this next test comes back bad he's referring us to a vet in Dallas for an mri
then surgery
Dude, I'm so sorry to hear this. I will hope that the vets can get this all worked out for you all. It's so stressful to have a kid sick! Hug!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #27
Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 2/11/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation

one of our neighbors has a american bulldog, most beautiful male i have ever seen. he started throwing up blood, they found pancreatic cancer.

stuff like that just blows my mind.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #28
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Post exotic pets

oxbow products for all life stages:

vitamin C chewable 50 mg tablet for guinea pigs = daily; pellets for young and/or nursing pigs [contain alfalfa], adult pig chow does not contain alfalfa [only timothy], variety of fresh hays [orchard, timothy, brome, botanical, et c.], hay cakes, and critical care for emergency feeding.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreas View Post
This is an interesting link- Grade your dog food.

http://zenathepug.blogspot.com/2009/...food-rate.html
More proof that my brother feeds his pooch doggie Swill.....
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #30
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

I'm sorry to hear this. My dog went thru chemo which damaged her liver. I learned alot about liver disease/problems via forums and groups. If you want any info I will be glad to pass on what I know about liver problems and refer you to the places I found

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqueline View Post
Old 11-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #31
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Hang in there. May I light a candle for your little dog?
thank you
and yes please ..

she's at the doctors getting blood work without food
then in two hours bloodwork with food

hoping to hell it's hypoglycemia and not liver shunt
Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #32
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuus View Post
I'm sorry to hear this. My dog went thru chemo which damaged her liver. I learned alot about liver disease/problems via forums and groups. If you want any info I will be glad to pass on what I know about liver problems and refer you to the places I found
yes please

how is your Gouda doing?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #33
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
thank you
and yes please ..

she's at the doctors getting blood work without food
then in two hours bloodwork with food

hoping to hell it's hypoglycemia and not liver shunt
What's her name? I apologize if you've said this, but I do not remember.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #34
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
What's her name? I apologize if you've said this, but I do not remember.
foster
fosterini for short
Old 11-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #35
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Bright blessings to Gouda and Fosterini!!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #36
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Caring for dogs with seizures is never fun. My parents and I have a Great Dane who started having seizures when he was 3 months old. It took over a year to get him regulated in any way. First, he was growing so quickly that we could never get the dosage right. Secondly, when we seemed to have to dose right, he had horrible side effects to the meds, enough so that we considered putting him down. He was so weak in his back end that we felt his quality of life was really compromised. Our vet referred us to a study being conducted at the University of Tennessee Knoxville vet school on an experimental drug. That drug saved Moose's (our dog's life). It's a bit more expensive than the traditional drugs but a little with a little research we found a source that was very affordable.

I don't know if I specified that we did the whole round of tests when his seizures first began, and everything was within normal range, so he's your run-of-the-mill epileptic. Just very young for it to start.

Sounds as though in your pup's case there may be a physiological cause for the seizures, and one that can be corrected. Keep us posted.

Quote:
shit...

then surgery
Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #37
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Smile

results from tests came back as probably not a liver shunt

but he wants to try her out on potassium bromade to help control them

she finally has solid poop again (she got runs from the valium) and she is
playful and eating good.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #38
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

Im happy for you and the little one about the test results. I know what that feels like to be waiting thinking the worst. Keep us posted!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #39
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Hey, very good news about the liver!!!

As much as we hate anything to be wrong with our furbabies, epilepsy can usually be successfully managed. I worked as a vet tech for 10 years and remember quite a few patients who did really well - on meds of course. The reality is that your pup will probably have the occasional seizure, but not too often and not requiring valium to stop it.

Here's hoping your responds well to the meds!

Quote:
results from tests came back as probably not a liver shunt

but he wants to try her out on potassium bromade to help control them

she finally has solid poop again (she got runs from the valium) and she is
playful and eating good.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #40
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

She has gone a week now with NO seizures and she is yet to
be put on any meds.
I still need to research that pottasium bromide and apparently it
is not easily accessable because the vet has still not received it.