Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation
Default Women's World Cup

Anybody following it besides me?
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

I watched Germany beat Canada 2-1. I was hoping Canada would win!
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/sp...acle.html?_r=1

Anyone want to comment on this article about a coach who's trying to get rid of the lesbians on her team?

Here's one response:
http://www.womentalksports.com/items/read/36/1009788
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Germany and england both lost today! Tomorrow its USA vs Brazil and Sweden vs Australia. They will be great games.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/sp...acle.html?_r=1

Anyone want to comment on this article about a coach who's trying to get rid of the lesbians on her team?

Here's one response:
http://www.womentalksports.com/items/read/36/1009788
I guess she doesn't care whether or not they win.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Wow. USA advances.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Holly.88

How Do You Identify?:
Male and Unc to my God Son
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him, he, and 'hey, handsome' :P
Relationship Status:
She said "Yes!"

Holly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST Reputation

Way to go, USA!
Holly.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Holly.88 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

I watched as much of the match as I could at the gym today - it was incredible!

The US Team played most of the second half with only 10 players after Rachel Buehler was ousted from the game with a straight red card. It looked like time was running out on the game when Abby Wambach made the header for the equalizing goal (fed to her off a long cross by Rapinoe).

Penalty-kick shootouts are a goaltender's worst nightmare, but Hope Solo, who is tremendous in the net, didn't disappoint! What a great game!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
I watched as much of the match as I could at the gym today - it was incredible!

The US Team played most of the second half with only 10 players after Rachel Buehler was ousted from the game with a straight red card. It looked like time was running out on the game when Abby Wambach made the header for the equalizing goal (fed to her off a long cross by Rapinoe).

Penalty-kick shootouts are a goaltender's worst nightmare, but Hope Solo, who is tremendous in the net, didn't disappoint! What a great game!

I was watching this game late into the 2nd half but had to leave. USA was down 2-1. So I set my DVR to record the rest, thinking I could watch without knowing the end result until I got back home. Until Bent texted me. Thanks again, pal!

Of course I was heavily into women's soccer when they won the last world cup back in 1999. I have no idea what's going to happen in the next game nor do I care to predict. But you have to admire the current team's mentality and their sheer physical will of not checking out of the game when they were so overly matched. I hope it will give them a boost in the next game and hopefully the rest of the World Cup.

It's so great to see Julie Foudy again even if she is an announcer not a player! She played on the WUSA team the San Diego Spirit. I used to take my kids to those games and had season tickets two years in a row but the league folded. Julie Foudy was so great as a team leader on the World Cup team as well as the on the Spirit and really approachable. Most of the team really did a lot of interacting with the kids who came to the games. What was really nice was there were no drunk annoying fans. It was a really fun environment.
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Frankly I am disappointed in the whole thing. The confusing/bad calls and drama took away from the game.
Also, it just doesnt seem fair that the US team has training facilities of the very highest quality, conditioning coaches, physical trainers, nutritionists, and on and on with the bankrolling of the team - and then to cheer that the USA won because of their fitness. Its like cheering when the NY Yankees beat a tram with no payroll.
The Brazil women's team hardly has any support in Brazil because they are women. The team members usually have to live in other countries if they want to play. Marta has to play for Rochester NY. She showed today that she is a passionate player with the skills to back up her fire. How many balls got into the net today past Hope Solo -- two from Marta and three penalty kicks (one of them from Marta). Hmmm 5 goals scored on Hope Solo.
So big nationalistic whoop for the USA today.
I guess I just need to let go of the outdated idea of a "level playing field" - even if it's a soccer pitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Pretty amazing women athletes out there!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Frankly I am disappointed in the whole thing. The confusing/bad calls and drama took away from the game.
Also, it just doesnt seem fair that the US team has training facilities of the very highest quality, conditioning coaches, physical trainers, nutritionists, and on and on with the bankrolling of the team - and then to cheer that the USA won because of their fitness. Its like cheering when the NY Yankees beat a tram with no payroll.
The Brazil women's team hardly has any support in Brazil because they are women. The team members usually have to live in other countries if they want to play. Marta has to play for Rochester NY. She showed today that she is a passionate player with the skills to back up her fire. How many balls got into the net today past Hope Solo -- two from Marta and three penalty kicks (one of them from Marta). Hmmm 5 goals scored on Hope Solo.
I guess I just need to let go of the outdated idea of a "level playing field" - even if it's a soccer pitch.

I agree that the drama and a couple of questionable calls are distracting, but they are part of the game, almost always. No doubt there's some amazing talent on the Brazilian team, but I think it's a little out of line to criticize people who support the US team simply because they have better support. All that aside, I'd say that playing almost half the game short sided does somewhat level the playing field. Hope Solo is widely recognized as one of the best tenders in the sport and, as a former goal tender, I can tell you that penalty kicks are greatly weighted against the goalie, perhaps as evidenced by the fact that Brazil's tender stopped not one (I won't count the one where she illegally came off the line, leading to a re-kick). Also, it is greatly underestimating the role of a goal tender to place their skills solely on blocking balls. Solo has a huge foot and fields the ball from her station beautifully.

Personally, as someone who was part of the generation that saw girl's/women's sports begin to be taken more seriously on the scholastic and collegiate level, I look at the fact that the US Women's team is so well backed as a positive advancement. Asking for a global "level playing field" in athletics is a challenging notion, don't you think? It doesn't even exist in men's sports. You can't effectively compare it to professional American sports, either, they're two completely different beasts. Generally speaking, I'm not a "go USA" sort (no nationalistic fervor here), but I have been a long time fan of the women's soccer program, because growing up, that was a dream I had. So to see it realized for others is something I recognize as a hard fought battle being won.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

It was a thrilling game with world-class athletes. My kid (the rabid soccer fan), says those calls will impact the ref's reputation. I'm going to see my first-ever live professional (local) game in August.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I agree with you, to an extent. I also appreciate your point of view but would like to add my personal experience.

Coming from one of the countries that the US Women's team beat, embarrassingly so, I am familiar with the uneven playing field.

Men teams here get what little resources the country has to offer, and they are scarce, and the women's team is seen as a joke. They have to practice in empty fields, have very little government and corporate support and are basically on their own. What little equipment they get is second or third grade, and forget about any training facilities. I see them running on our crowded streets as their means of "training".

What we do have is plenty of raw talent, as does Brazil, but as has been demonstrated, that is not always enough.

Having said that, as a fan, a global one at that, I admire the skills and talent of any team, most particularly the US team which is also my other home team. I admire the fantastic show put on by both teams and I admire the fact that women, especially in Latin American countries, are getting a shot at a sport that is predominately men dominated. Kudos to all!

From the age of 12 on to my early 20s, I was an avid soccer player and in the states I was considered a pretty good player. Not so for much because I had awesome skills, but because I was one of a handful women players at the time. I am more than thrilled to see the sport get this international exposure and can only hope that it continues to grow and provide us with some wonderful plays, such as the goal in the video i posted.

Bad calls are always part of the equation, and to fall back on those after the fact it is to me the easiest and most used way of excusing the other team's loss. It happens in every sport, it happens in any gender. It is predictable and frankly not a very good argument.

I am looking forward to an exciting final!
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
<snip>

Coming from one of the countries that the US Women's team beat, embarrassingly so, I am familiar with the uneven playing field.

Men teams here get what little resources the country has to offer, and they are scarce, and the women's team is seen as a joke. They have to practice in empty fields, have very little government and corporate support and are basically on their own. What little equipment they get is second or third grade, and forget about any training facilities. I see them running on our crowded streets as their means of "training".

What we do have is plenty of raw talent, as does Brazil, but as has been demonstrated, that is not always enough.

Having said that, as a fan, a global one at that, I admire the skills and talent of any team, most particularly the US team which is also my other home team. I admire the fantastic show put on by both teams and I admire the fact that women, especially in Latin American countries, are getting a shot
Really well stated, U, thank you.

Economic disparity is an unfortunate aspect of global competition, and thankfully doesn't seem to dampen effort and heart. It's also fortunate that - limited though it may be - the opportunity exists for these women to play on professional teams where they can receive exposure to that intense level of competition, as well as training resources.

- H. L. Mencken
Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Default On to the Final!

Team USA beat France, 3 - 1.

"...the heroics belonged to Abby Wambach, the star forward for Team USA, who came through in the clutch for the second straight match.

This time the four-time Soccer Athlete of the Year winner scored off a corner kick by Lauren Cheney to break a 1-1 tie that seemed to break the French team's spirits."

And then, once again, down to the penalty kicks, where Hope Solo (again) held the line.

Looking forward to Sunday's match against Japan or Sweden!

- H. L. Mencken
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Yep, I'm a huge football fan (started another general thread a while back if anyone is ever interested in talking football regardless of competition/team/league etc.) and I've been following nearly every game.

France really need to deal with their goaltender situation, and just goes to show how a goaltender can either save a team's ass (as was the case with Hope Solo and the US) or screw them over (Sapowicz and Deville for France). France outplayed the US for the majority of the game, spent most of the game attacking the American net and quite frankly if it weren't for Hope Solo (and Abby Wambachs rediscovered heroics at the end of the game...though without Solo they wouldn't have had a chance by that point to begin with) the Americans would have been screwed. I really don't understand what Bini was thinking when he put Sapowicz as a starting keeper with Deville as back up. He should have just stole a keeper from Olympique Lyonnais considering over half the players play there anyway and as damn successful, too. It's frustrating given how far this team could have gone. Along with Japan they are the best passing team in these championships, among the most athletic and technical. To have that screwed up by a poor goalkeeping decision is rather annoying. Anyways, hopefully they can solve that problem by the time the Olympics role around because that team was one of the most entertaining to watch.

On that note, congrats to Sweden today. Hammerström's goal was quite possibly the goal of the tournament, imo. Schelin played great football as usual against her Lyon teammates. But again, France really need to solve those goaltending issues. Quick fast.

Will watch tomorrow's game as well...but I have to say I really hate the way North American media covers Asian teams in any sporting event. They seem compelled to always go on about the "heart" of North American teams/athletes as a winning factor (in this case the US), and always portray any other teams (particularly Asian) as lacking "heart." Japan have done something no other Japanese team has done before, and they've done it only shortly after disaster struck their entire nation. To say they lack "heart," to me, is an insult to their skill, but of course North American media always seem dead set on portraying Asian national teams/athletes as robotic carbon copies of one another, programmed from an early age. Anyways, I've really enjoyed seeing the rise of Japan in these games. Along with France they've been the best as far as technique, but unlike France they don't have a weak link in goal or anywhere else. Their passes are right on, they don't panic and give up the ball easily under pressure, they can finish well and they've got great athleticism. I'd also love to see Sawa win a World Cup.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #19
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am very excited! Not as well versed as so many others with this sport- but I am learing a lot during this competition. Of course I am going to root for the USA team- but if Japan wins that is OK by me. Might be a boost for japan after all that the country has been going through.

Sometimes I think a whole lot has changed for women athletes and support for their sports.... then... reality sets in.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #20
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Whoops! I thought the US was playing Japan- it is Germany!
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: