Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

View Poll Results: What color would you like the first swapghan to be? (Please vote ONLY if you are participating)
Purple (any shade of including variegated) 2 6.45%
Neutral 5 16.13%
Autumn Jewel (Gold, Rust, Red, Purple, Yellow, Brown, etc) 13 41.94%
Blue (any shade of including variegated) 9 29.03%
Rainbow Squares 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Square Swap (For Crochet/Knitting)

There is a "thing" among some yarn folk. It's a Square Swap.

Here's how it works:

Each person makes 12(or whatever the number is) squares of a certain size and colorway.

They mail eleven squares to the other eleven people in their group.

They get eleven squares back.

Then you can put those squares into a blanket for yourself of for a giveaway.

There is no set style to the square other than size and color choices. Usually it's a 6 month? time frame. I think that is right.

So would anyone be interested in doing this?

Some swaps I've seen have been :

Red, White And Blue
Red and Purple
Spring colors
Variegated only
I've got the Blues (various shades of blue)

So? It's a good way to try out different yarns and patterns if you like that sort of thing.

Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Hey! That sounds really cool!

So do have a blanket size in mind, or a wall-hanging size? And what colorways are you thinking?

Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Hey! That sounds really cool!

So do have a blanket size in mind, or a wall-hanging size? And what colorways are you thinking?

Cath, what I'm thinking is a blanket since I have no use for something to hang on the wall. I think once we get a good group for this, then we can decide size and color. One I really liked was the one where you chose shades of a color -- like purple or blue--and then did a certain size square and edged it in two rows of black.

What do you think?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Sounds good to me! I like the edging idea because it will add drama yet also continuity.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Here's how one group does it. CLICKY

8 squares x 8"s = 64 inches So that's a 4x4 blanket making it 32" across. Not really big enough. LOL

We might have to do a team of at least 10 people doing 2 8" squares for each member. That would be 20 8" squares total per person. That's a lot but if you do Granny Squares, those go super fast.

So I guess it would be up to the group.

I'd sure like to try though.

10 people doing 8 " squares x 2 so each person ends up with 20 8" squares. If you do four across and five rows that's 32" x 40", right? Lord Love A Duck, I don't do math well.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

That's too many squares, love, and too much joining at the end. Let's make it simple, 12" squares, k? 12 of them would give us lap robes 3 squares by 4 squares--3 feet by 4 feet.

16 squares would give us 4 feet by 4 feet; that would cover a more ample lap.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
That's too many squares, love, and too much joining at the end. Let's make it simple, 12" squares, k? 12 of them would give us lap robes 3 squares by 4 squares--3 feet by 4 feet.

16 squares would give us 4 feet by 4 feet; that would cover a more ample lap.

I like that. SEE! This is why I needed you on this. So 12 12" squares is a good start.

Now we need more vic...er participants.

Remember, these can be knitted or crocheted squares.

Who else wants to play?

Cath, what color shall we start with?

I kinda like the idea of doing a purple and red one in honor of the Red Hat Society. lol.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

I like Autumn Jewel Tones--purple and red are part of that.

Yes, we do need more vic--errr--participants. I'm thinking people might be thinking more in terms of the holidays right now... maybe if we keep the thread bumped, and set a finish date well after the holidays?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
I like Autumn Jewel Tones--purple and red are part of that.

Yes, we do need more vic--errr--participants. I'm thinking people might be thinking more in terms of the holidays right now... maybe if we keep the thread bumped, and set a finish date well after the holidays?

Here's my thought.

Squares due by April 1st.

That's a four month ...no three month (darn math anyway)... window. Do you think that is doable? How cute is that smiley?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

It's an adorable smiley and I actually used it in context one day when I had to go offline and do laundry. *curtsies*

Oh look! Hadn't seen this one yet!

I like that timeframe for sign-up on the Square Swap. Do you think people will really need that long, three months for 12 squares though? I dunno how fast other people might knit or crochet... Will the speedy among us be keeping vigil, waiting?

I love this one VERY much, more I think than the others. I would put this in my sig line.

Look at this next set... just cracks me up how they go together...

Last edited by Bit; 11-27-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
I like that timeframe for sign-up on the Square Swap. Do you think people will really need that long, three months for 12 squares though? I dunno how fast other people might knit or crochet... Will the speedy among us be keeping vigil, waiting?
Cath, we are derailing our own thread. LOL.

Okay. So do we need to do a Dear post? If you think we do, will you do it? hee!

1. 12 people
2. 8" squares (knit or crochet--any pattern)
3. We can do a vote on the color scheme.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation

I don't knit or crochet any more, but I just LOVE this idea, how cool. It makes me want to.

Pashi
Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Hey Pashi, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Cath, we are derailing our own thread. LOL.

Okay. So do we need to do a Dear post? If you think we do, will you do it? hee!

1. 12 people
2. 8" squares (knit or crochet--any pattern)
3. We can do a vote on the color scheme.
Yes, we are derailing our own thread.
K, I can invite people to the party, but for 12" squares, right? Because that makes a lap robe that's 3 squares by 4 squares, rather than a baby blanket.

Unless you want to ask for more than 12...? But the math is eluding me tonight... okay, I have forced the brain to cooperate. 4 x5 would be 20 squares but only 32" by 40" finished, kinda small...

Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit;13475[FONT=Verdana
12" squares, right? Because that makes a lap robe that's 3 squares by 4 squares, rather than a baby blanket.[/FONT]

You are right! 12" squares.

We need a math person. lol!

So:

1. 12 people
2. 12 12" squares
3. Any pattern-knit or crochet (no quilt squares, sorry!)
4. Sign up by Dec 31 (late joiners ok if we don't have enough?)
5. Squares due by April 30 (That's four months so three squares a month)

6. We'll decide on colors when we get a few more folk in here.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm in.
I love purple.
I crochet like a mad woman.
Oh wait.
I AM a mad woman.

SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

This is a great idea!

I know that Jess would be glad to see some of the many tubs of yarns I have go somewhere! I ran across a great sale at Michael's last year and well, being tactile... you get the idea! Bamboo... alpaca... oohhhhhh.... makes me wanna go home and just pet the skeins!

I never learned how to do granny squares, but I am sure I can make something work.

Would someone please be so kind to remind me later in the month? Its a busy time for us on a calendar/fiscal year and I wouldnt want to forget!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

hippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputation

well hi,

any room for a knitting idiot? i have been trying to learn from...sigh...a book. throw me a bone anyone?

p.s. Christie...avocado is not a pronoun. it's a food group. i heard it on NPR so it must be true.
hippieflowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #18
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieflowergirl View Post
well hi,

any room for a knitting idiot? i have been trying to learn from...sigh...a book. throw me a bone anyone?

p.s. Christie...avocado is not a pronoun. it's a food group. i heard it on NPR so it must be true.
Sheesh! and here I thought that bacon and butter were the "other" food groups!

Call me whatcha want, just leave the bacon alone!

Missed you, chica!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #19
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

1. Arwen
  2. Cath aka bit
  3. SuperFemme
  4. Christie
  5. HippieFlowerGirl
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?
  12. ?

Sweet!

Color suggestions so far:
  1. Autumn Jewel Tones
  2. Purple
  3. Purple/Red
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. ?
We'll vote once we have 8 of us.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,870 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I'll join!

And here is an added fun one if anyone is so inclined:
Make an extra square in the colors of the site and we can stitch them together for a lap quilt to auction at our first Reunion
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote