Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation
Default Any animal rescuers on the Planet?

I'm currently going back to school to obtain a new degree and I have several years left until I finish, however, I know that once I am done I would like to start a Sphynx cat rescue and eventually, when financially able, to branch out to include other cats as well. I've been researching all the information I can find about incorporating and filing for non-profit status, forming a board of directors and mission statements, setting up a website, etc... I was wondering if anyone on the site does any rescue work, either as a volunteer or director. Although starting a rescue is a few years down the road for me...I would love it if anyone could share their experiences, advice, opinions, etc...

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation

I adopted a rescue kitty. I would volunteer but I am being a chicken because my gender marker has not been changed and IDK how cool they are with trans ppl. I also cannot decide where I want to volunteer and every place wants some kind of commitment.
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bad_boi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

I volunteered for a rescue for one day. Yes, that's right... one day. I wanted to go and walk the dogs and play with them. So I went to orientation and the woman was not very friendly at all. I've had dogs all of my life and worked for vets in the past so have a lot of dog experience. Well she treated me as if I was going to screw up from the minute I got there. I never went back.

Now I have two rescue dogs in my house by some weird fate. I do not volunteer for the rescue group. I answered an add on craigslist for someone needing a foster home for a few months while they got on their feet and they never did. They turned them over to the breed specific rescue and I am keeping them for a bit to see if we can find a home for them. One of them is 14!

Anyway, all that being said, just make sure your staff is friendly and welcoming to all even those people without animal experience. It's the volunteers who make rescue organizations function.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
stonewalldog

How Do You Identify?:
All-American Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
married

stonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lab rescue

I am involved in Lab rescue here in California. I am one of the foster/volunteers. I am not on the board and don't know anything about fund raising or the 501c status.

They bring me the dogs with the worst behavior issues. I work with the dog until he/she is adoptable. It is very challenging and rewarding.
stonewalldog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stonewalldog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
stonewalldog

How Do You Identify?:
All-American Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
married

stonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputation

[QUOTE=SleepyButch;607236]I volunteered for a rescue for one day. Yes, that's right... one day. I wanted to go and walk the dogs and play with them. So I went to orientation and the woman was not very friendly at all. I've had dogs all of my life and worked for vets in the past so have a lot of dog experience. Well she treated me as if I was going to screw up from the minute I got there. I never went back.

Hey SleepyButch....

In my experience, all great animal people suck at dealing with humans. It probably wasn't personal. She was probably just better at dealing with dogs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stonewalldog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

[quote=stonewalldog;607249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post
I volunteered for a rescue for one day. Yes, that's right... one day. I wanted to go and walk the dogs and play with them. So I went to orientation and the woman was not very friendly at all. I've had dogs all of my life and worked for vets in the past so have a lot of dog experience. Well she treated me as if I was going to screw up from the minute I got there. I never went back.

Hey SleepyButch....

In my experience, all great animal people suck at dealing with humans. It probably wasn't personal. She was probably just better at dealing with dogs.
I am not sure on this one though... she was pretty tough. I have longer lasting relationships with my animals so I get that.. but I just don't know... thanks though for pointing that out.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Amazing (((((((( FC ))))))))))))

When Syr was animal control officer of course many critters found their way to the farm.

4 pigs
Raccoons
about a thousand cats
a bunch of dogs

we even rescued 17 chickens last year....

It's very expensive and you must be able to provide a good home with lots of room, it's not easy.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post

Now I have two rescue dogs in my house by some weird fate. I do not volunteer for the rescue group. I answered an add on craigslist for someone needing a foster home for a few months while they got on their feet and they never did. They turned them over to the breed specific rescue and I am keeping them for a bit to see if we can find a home for them. One of them is 14!

Anyway, all that being said, just make sure your staff is friendly and welcoming to all even those people without animal experience. It's the volunteers who make rescue organizations function.
I'm very sorry you had this experience. I volunteered for years at one of my local shelters (until I was thrown out for complaining about the way they ran it, and the way they treated animals...but that's ok I became an activist and actually testified for the state in a case against them...and the entire shelter organization underwent reform! yay!). I've also dealt with rescues, while volunteering at the shelter and on my own...and I've encountered some REALLY nasty people working for/running rescues. I understand what stonewalldog said, about people who are so animal-focused that they lack people skills, but it really is detrimental to their cause, and it does the animals in their care a huge disservice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post

When Syr was animal control officer of course many critters found their way to the farm.

4 pigs
Raccoons
about a thousand cats
a bunch of dogs

It's very expensive and you must be able to provide a good home with lots of room, it's not easy.
Thanks FC!! I am lucky that we have an extra, very large bedroom that was converted into a "dog room" by the previous owner. Our dogs don't use it (because they are firmly entrenched in OUR bedroom LOL, and because they have the run of the house and the yard), so I've already converted it to a "cat room." I know that a rescue, especially in it's start-up phase, is going to be expensive...that's why I'm gonna wait until I'm done with school and start with primarily one breed, and then expand when I am financially able to. I have some friends who have expressed an interest in volunteering/fostering, and hopefully that base will expand as well.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
stonewalldog

How Do You Identify?:
All-American Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post

I would rescue some chickens if I had the chance. I would give them a nice warm home. About 350 degrees! LOL!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to stonewalldog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewalldog View Post
I would rescue some chickens if I had the chance. I would give them a nice warm home. About 350 degrees! LOL!!!!

HAH!

i'd be all for that except these poor chickens were not fed a diet that would make them prime dinner specimens, they were laying hens only and when they got older and stopped laying eggs, they were about to become landfill...

So they come here to retire and enjoy all the land and although they still do lay an egg now and them, it's at THEIR leisure..and they will sure let you know that!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
BrutalDaddy

How Do You Identify?:
Her Asshole.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him, hym, he, whatever.
Relationship Status:
Bitch has no more excuses now.

Thanked 2,785 Times in 499 Posts
BrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST Reputation

I would love to have a place to bring in animals to adopt out....however....I would end up keeping every single animal cause I'd fall in love with it and Julie would not trust any other humans to properly care for them.

We're very cynical when it comes to other humans. Animals? We love em all. They don't mean to be the way they are. Not their fault a human(s) didn't think it all the way through because animals DO grow up at some point and don't even get me started on humans who breed for fighting purposes.

I commend you for wanting to start something like that. For me personally, I feel people who run responsible and safe adoption agencies are right up there with police, firefighters, etc. Just because an animal can't vote doesn't mean they don't deserve love too.

Wow, I prayed on that bull some. Lol. I'mma shaddup now.

Good Luck,
Brute.
BrutalDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrutalDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,619 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I do dog and horse rescue. I foster dogs and I help raise funds for horse rescues. I have my own group that raises money to give to horse rescue to bid against meat buyers at hi risk auctions, to save Haflingers, the breed I use to raise. No money touches my hands. I get businesses to donate items and services and we auction or raffle them off and the money goes straight to the non profit rescue. I am a poor person. But that doesnt stop me from being creative in helping animals.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
WingsOnFire

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..femme.. .babygirl...girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Ones...
Relationship Status:
Enjoying life but ready to meet someone

Thanked 12,476 Times in 3,357 Posts
WingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Every one of my animals have been rescues. Well... except Coco the Schnauzer who was bred by my best friends ex-fiance. But he bred his dog because he loved them so much... not so much for the money... a misguided way to show his love... I adopted her at 5 months because he couldnt find anyone to buy her.. He had 4 dogs at home and his neighbors were complaining.

Riley our lab is an example of why I rescue. She was 2 when her owners took her back to the no kill shelter they adopted her from. They had left her outside for 2 years and she is deathly scared of rain and wet grass. Poor dog took several weeks to even come into the living room from the kitchen. She was coming a long way until an ex roommates dog got into a fight with her. Now she thinks she needs to protect me all the time.

She and the biiigggggg dog Moose (100 pound Mastiff) both think they need to protect me and thus can not be on the same floor of the house together... Its very sad but I also know that Riley gets more love and affection than she would from another home. At this stage in her life I dont think anyone would adopt her being afraid she might attack another dog. The sad thing is she is a wonderful dog with her sisters.. She is a sweet loving dog. She just cant be around the big dog...

This is why I rescue... I take the ones that others dont want. Now.. Peppa... lol... anyone who would take her would give her back in 5 minutes flat!! She is rotten!

Previously known as MidnightBlueEyes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://gailsforum.files.wordpress.co...-psd340941.png
WingsOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WingsOnFire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Almost every animal I have had has been a rescue...And I have had tons..lol

Currently only have 4 due to space.
But if I had a farm..oh hell WATCH OUT!!!...lol

www.friends-in-need.org is am awesome place out here in utah that I help at when I can. And the woman running it are fabulious.
Karen and Kim O'Donnel.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
I'm currently going back to school to obtain a new degree and I have several years left until I finish, however, I know that once I am done I would like to start a Sphynx cat rescue and eventually, when financially able, to branch out to include other cats as well. I've been researching all the information I can find about incorporating and filing for non-profit status, forming a board of directors and mission statements, setting up a website, etc... I was wondering if anyone on the site does any rescue work, either as a volunteer or director. Although starting a rescue is a few years down the road for me...I would love it if anyone could share their experiences, advice, opinions, etc...

I'm glad that you are looking into this, I hope you can make it happen. There are never enough rescue services out there. I'm subscribing!

Gaige and I both dream of running a rescue operation or an animal sanctuary. I would love to make that happen for both of us. In the meantime, we just keep helping every animal we find in need, and playing the lottery.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylane View Post

I'm glad that you are looking into this, I hope you can make it happen. There are never enough rescue services out there. I'm subscribing!

Gaige and I both dream of running a rescue operation or an animal sanctuary. I would love to make that happen for both of us. In the meantime, we just keep helping every animal we find in need, and playing the lottery.
Ohhhh the lottery!! I have big plans for the lottery! LOL!

I do volunteer/foster..and all of our 4 dogs, 7 cats, and 2 birds are rescues, but there are SO many more animals out there in need! I get updates from the rescue groups regarding dogs and cats on the NY Animal Care and Control kill lists every week. In one day alone, they euthanized 33 cats..many of them kittens and VERY adoptable! It just makes me nuts! I figured that, once I am finished with school, if I can start a rescue I can, at least, make a bigger contribution than just fostering one or two at a time. I'm mainly focusing on cats at the moment...because of space. But it would be awesome to have the space required to rescue dogs as well. C'mon lottery!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

I really enjoy the posts here. I've got a pack of rescues and pets that have been given up. I feel more than lucky to have them in my life. I thought this article and group was way cool and wanted to share it with you all.

Green Dog Rescue Project Saves 50 Dogs in First 6 Months

ABC NewsBy SYDNEY LUPKIN | ABC News – Sat, Jun 23, 2012

A dog took a bullet to save Colleen Combs from a home invader 20 years ago, and she's still returning the favor.

Combs founded her nonprofit dog rehabilitation program, Green Dog Rescue Project, to save "problem" shelter dogs from euthanasia about six months ago, but you won't find the animals stuffed into cages there.

Instead, they roam free as part of a pack in which Combs herself is the "alpha" pooch, she said.

"We have cages in our society, and we put prisoners in them." she told ABCNews.com. "Time and time again, I've seen so many dogs euthanized because they're misunderstood."

In standard shelters, dogs feel trapped because everything around them feels like a threat, Combs said. But her tactic is to take the leash and have a "conversation" with the dog, who usually submits within 30 seconds. The dog realizes someone else –the alpha -- is making decisions, and it can relax, she said.

In the last six months, Combs has placed 20 to 25 of these charity dogs in homes and takes care of another 25 Green Dog animals at King's Kastle, her for-profit dog rehab and socialization training facility in Windsor, Calif.

Many of them were at shelters facing euthanasia because they were too aggressive.

Combs said she's personally paid for 600 to 700 dogs at King's Kastle over the last 15 years, and decided it was time to start an official non-profit six months ago. She hopes to move Green Dog Rescue Project to its own facility within the next three to six months, she said.

Douglass Keane is just one of the believers in Comb's methods.

He said he turned to Combs in a last-ditch effort to avoid euthanizing his rescued Border Collie mix, Jakey, when he realized the dog was too aggressive to stay in his home, and a shelter refused to take him.

"I bring Jakey out on the leash, and I'm afraid to give it to her," Keane said, adding that the dog immediately began barking up a storm. "Thirty seconds later, he was over it. I swear to God, there were tears streaming down my face."

Jakey is still with Combs as a pack dog.

In November, Keane sought Combs' help again, and sued a Healdsburg animal shelter to allow him to take a 110-pound Catahoula Mastiff mix to Combs' shelter. The Healdsburg shelter initially refused and slated the dog for euthanasia around Thanksgiving, claiming it didn't want to pass on its problems to other shelters, Keane said.

Keane won and paid to Combs to rehabilitate and train the Catahoula Mastiff named Cash. Keane plans to take Cash home soon.

Keane, a chef who used to volunteer at the Healdsburg Animal Shelter where he met Jakey and Cash, said Combs opened up his mind to better dog rescue.

"She's just showed me there's a different way and a different mentality to rescue dogs," he said. "There's no stress. They don't need to be locked up. She's a very calm force."

Combs said there's no reason dogs should wind up in a landfill.

"Mother nature designed this program," she said. "If we are able to step back from being a human being and see that these animals have a culture and a language…we can coexist."
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Rescues yes, I have 11 cats and they all come with their own story.

My ex and I paid out of pocket to fix 36 feral cats and kittens. Our country vet kept 5, a lady in another town took 3 white kittens just after they were fixed at the vet. We farmed out another 7 to be barn kitties. 3 went to Michigan with a long ago ex. 3 or 4 have passed over the rainbow bridge. 1 got a home in this mobile home park I live in. The rest we let go back to the area we captured them in.

If I could find forever homes for more of them I would. I just have to know they will never be kicked to the curb, again. The youngest 3 are now 3 years old and the older ones I'd keep unless a senior wanted a companion. In reality, I'd like to find good homes for at least 6 or 7 of them.

If I had the space and the knowledge, I'd start a rescue. Who knows, maybe someday I may find another willing to learn what needs to be done to get it started. Me, I have the love and nurturing they need to go to forever homes.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
Mr Nice Guy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kind, sweet, loving, romantic and a rare Butch. :)
Relationship Status:
I don't drive a Uhaul. :)

Thanked 4,894 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST Reputation

I have rescued one cat from outside and of course from shelters. But the one thing that keeps on coming to me is wild birds. It's strange and I'm wondering if there's a meaning to all that.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Nice Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #20
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

Mr. Nice Guy - Check out Ted Andrews' book, Animal Speak. It's one of the best books I've found on animal symbology, and it'll help you understand which birds are coming to you and why.

SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote