Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

hippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Vegetarian & Vegan Recipe Swap

because vegetarians & vegans are often expected to put up with food that is some kind of frankensteined version of omniverous recipes, i'm looking for yumminess that is something you think you cant live without in your veggie household.

i'll start it with one of my faves

thai lettuce wraps

* fresh romaine lettuce (you can use any wide leaf lettuce you like but
romain is the best for this recipe in my opinion)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 thumb-size piece galangal or ginger, grated
* 1 red chilli, de-seeded & finely sliced (optional if you dont like hot food)
* 2 shallots, sliced finely
* 1/2 cup firm or baked tofu, cut into "matchsticks"
* 1 carrot, grated or cut into thin strips
* 4-5 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
* 1/2 cup shredded cabbage (red is very good, but any type will work)
* 3 spring onions, sliced lengthwise into matchstick-like pieces
* 2 cups bean sprouts
* 2 Tbsp. lime juice (more if you want extra for toppings)
* 2 Tbsp. regular soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp. "vegetarian oyster sauce" (available at most Asian food stores)
* TOPPINGS:
* 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped if leaves are large
* 1/2 cup fresh dry roasted peanuts, roughly chopped or ground
* OTHER: 2 Tbsp. sesame oil for stir-frying

Preparation:

1. Drizzle small amount of oil into a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, galangal or ginger, chili, and shallots. Stir-fry one minute or until fragrant. Add a Tbsp. water whenever the wok/pan gets too dry instead of more oil.
2. Add tofu, carrot, shiitake mushrooms, cabbage, and spring onions. As you stir-fry, add the lime juice, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir-fry about 1 minute.
3. Push ingredients to the side of the wok or pan and add the bean sprouts and stir-fry briefly to heat. Then mix ingredients together.
4. Remove from heat and do a taste test for salt, adding soy or vegetarian oyster sauce if more saltiness is desired.
5. Put washed lettuce leaves, sir-fried filling, and the toppings in separate bowls/plates.
6. To assemble, take a whole lettuce leaf and place 1-2 heaping tablespoons of filling in the center. Top with a sprinkling of fresh basil and peanuts. Then wrap/curl up and eat. (definitely finger food so have lots of napkins/paper towels on hand.)
hippieflowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hippieflowergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,560 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Stuffed Green Peppers
Yields 8 half peppers.

4 green peppers
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 block firm tofu
2 cups veggie broth...may need more or less.
1/4 cup vegan worstershire sauce
4 cloves of roasted garlic mashed up
1/2 of a large onion
1 med size carrot
1/2 lb of whatever shroom is in my fridge at the time
2 cups whatever vegan cheese I have in the fridge.
1 Tbls. Olive oil (cold pressed)
Salt and Pepper for seasoning if needed.

1-Marinate 1 block of firm tofu in an equal mix of vegetable broth and vegan worstershire sauce. 30 minutes to an hour.
2-Prepare peppers by cutting length wise in half. Clean seeds out. Lighly salt and pepper. You can blanch them before stuffing if you like them on the soft side.
3-Finley dice onion. Grate carrot. Chop shrooms into small chop size. Lighlt sweat these veggies in a small amount of olive oil. Just enough to wet the botom of the pan. Once done place in a bowl off the side.
4-Remove and drain tofu. Pat dry. Chop tofu into small, small, small size. Place in bowl with veggies.
5-Add 1 cup and 1/2, cooked brown rice in bowl.
6-Peel and seed 1 large tomato. Rough chop into quarter size pieces.Add to bowl.
7-Start mixing ingredients together. Toss in half of the cheese. Season with pepper, fresh roasted garlic and maybe salt. Mixture should kinda stick together.
8-Stuff peppers and place in any king of pan. Pour about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of veg broth into bottom of pan.
9-Bake in oven set at 425 degrees for about 30-60 minutes depending on whether or not the peppers were pre blanched.
10-Before removing from oven, sprinkle veggie cheese on top and broil till desired bubbly doneness.
11-Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes. Then enjoy!!
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.ivu.org/

maybe someone will find a new recipe- or other information as the link above is rather inclusive for vegetarian resources.

thank you for the new recipe thread

going to make lunch now!

best,
belle
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieflowergirl View Post
because vegetarians & vegans are often expected to put up with food that is some kind of frankensteined version of omniverous recipes, i'm looking for yumminess that is something you think you cant live without in your veggie household.
I'm not vegetarian but I'm always interested in more veg recipes. Mostly I'm just impressed by anyone who uses frankenstein as a verb.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

hippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I'm not vegetarian but I'm always interested in more veg recipes. Mostly I'm just impressed by anyone who uses frankenstein as a verb.
you should see what i can do with 'zombify' and 'vampired'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hippieflowergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

Hey, does anyone have any good kale recipes? I eat it raw in salads but I'm looking for ways to incorporate it into other dishes besides salads & soups. I found a pretty good looking kale and potato gratin but I've not tried it yet.

Thanks,
Hudson
The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:

weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

1 bunch chopped kale
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or spritz of non-stick spray)
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/3 chopped onion
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

In a pan, heat vegetable oil. Fry garlic and onions, until translucent.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix peanut butter, broth/water, and spices until the peanut butter has dissolved, and it has turned saucy.

Add kale to the pan, and cook until the leaves are dark green and wilted.

Add the peanut butter sauce to the pan. If it is too dry, add broth/water to reach desired consistency.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:

Kale (any amount)
Frozen soybeans (1/4 the amount of the kale)
salt: about half a handful (optional but recommended)
cooking oil
soy sauce

Directions:

Wash and finely chop the kale.
Add a whole lot of salt and press (with some sort of weight), refrigerated, for at least 4 hours.
Thoroughly wash off the salt and drain. Heat up the cooking oil in a wok while you're doing this and start some water boiling for the soybeans.
Boil the soybeans, covered, for about 5 minutes; drain.
Stir-fry the kale. Add the soybeans. Add soy sauce (to taste). Stir-fry for about ten minutes. You can eat this either by itself (makes a great snack) or served over cooked rice.
The Following User Says Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:

ha, of course i fail to mention no soybeans (although i love them)
due to the fatty sterols. maybe i could substitute another bean?
i will definitely try these weatherboi, thank you! i especially love the
combination of spicy and peanutty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:

go for a chickpea...it is firm like soybean...it is about the texture as much as taste.
The Following User Says Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
ha, of course i fail to mention no soybeans (although i love them)
due to the fatty sterols. maybe i could substitute another bean?
i will definitely try these weatherboi, thank you! i especially love the
combination of spicy and peanutty.

i agree with the boi of weather ...chickpeas would be superyum. another kind that comes to mind is fava beans (if you can resist the hannibal lector noises that is.)
The Following User Says Thank You to hippieflowergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I'll have to add some of my recipes when I get back to NYC. I'll be making my vegan red velvet cake this week for K's mom. We'll see how much she likes it (K's mom is an omnivore).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #13
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I'll have to add some of my recipes when I get back to NYC. I'll be making my vegan red velvet cake this week for K's mom. We'll see how much she likes it (K's mom is an omnivore).

i feel like a schmo for asking but...what makes it
red?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

i feel like a schmo for asking but...what makes it
red?
Vegan food dye: http://www.naturesflavors.com/produc...oducts_id=5587

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

does anyone "speak eggplant"? everytime i try something it ends up either slimy or rubbery.

i'm also looking for a reasonable vegan substitute for cheese that tastes good. is there such a thing? and dont give me any of that, "it's good but it wont melt" business. if it dont melt, it aint cheese.

lastly, i used to be able to buy this really great garlic spread that came in a plastic bottle (like the OF/OS ketchup & mustard bottles at burger joints...squeezy style...they were red & yellow...remember those?). the bottle was clear and the label was white with red or green writing. it was a greek or maybe middle eastern company and the garlic was INTENSE! sound familiar to anyone? i remember seeing it in seattle. i've never seen it here in hippieville
Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
NotYourTypicalFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/ her/baby girl, and a few other names i dont think i can say here
Relationship Status:
Single cause im tired of game players and people who dont know what they want

Location: florida for now but working hard to get back to Nevada
NotYourTypicalFemme is on a distinguished road

My oldest daughter is a Vegetarian so i always try to cook her something that she will eat and found a a recipe that i thought i would share after reading all the post

Roasted Ratatouille with Beans and cheese
1 onion chopped
1 eggplant peeled and cut into 1' pieces
1 zucchini, peeled and cut into 1' pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1' pieces
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 can ( 15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup marinara sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

1) preheat oven to 400 degrees , coat baking sheet with cooking spray, toss the onion,eggplant, zucchini, pepper, and oil in a large bowl. place on baking sheet and roast for 25 to 30 minutes. turning once or browned and tender

2) Heat chickpeas and marinara sauce in a large microwaveable bowl ( i use the stovetop) covered on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until hot, stir in the vinegar and roasted vegetables.

3) divide amoung 4 plates and top each with 3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese

makes 4 servings
NotYourTypicalFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NotYourTypicalFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
does anyone "speak eggplant"? everytime i try something it ends up either slimy or rubbery.

i'm also looking for a reasonable vegan substitute for cheese that tastes good. is there such a thing? and dont give me any of that, "it's good but it wont melt" business. if it dont melt, it aint cheese.

lastly, i used to be able to buy this really great garlic spread that came in a plastic bottle (like the OF/OS ketchup & mustard bottles at burger joints...squeezy style...they were red & yellow...remember those?). the bottle was clear and the label was white with red or green writing. it was a greek or maybe middle eastern company and the garlic was INTENSE! sound familiar to anyone? i remember seeing it in seattle. i've never seen it here in hippieville
What eggplant recipes have you tried?

As for cheese, that one has been difficult but I've heard some from the UK are good. If you're looking for a grated Parmesan substitute look at nutritional yeast. It has a nutty flavour but my g/f swears by it (it doesn't do much for me).

For your garlic sauce: http://garlicsauce.com/default.aspx ??

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
What eggplant recipes have you tried?

As for cheese, that one has been difficult but I've heard some from the UK are good. If you're looking for a grated Parmesan substitute look at nutritional yeast. It has a nutty flavour but my g/f swears by it (it doesn't do much for me).

For your garlic sauce: http://garlicsauce.com/default.aspx ??
OMG Linus! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Karam's Garlic Sauce! how did you figure it out from my lame description. thanx also for the nutritional yeast idea. i'd forgotten how much i like the flavor. i used to put it on popcorn as a substitute for butter & salt.

the 2 eggplant recipes i have are for a parmigiana style eggplant and a baked eggplant with tofu (which is truly reprehensible if i do say so myself...and i do). the cookbook i have doesnt seem to think eggplant is worth mentioning for some reason and the online recipes i've found all rely on cheese. it's not that i dont love cheese...too much in fact...i just want some different options.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYourTypicalFemme View Post
My oldest daughter is a Vegetarian so i always try to cook her something that she will eat and found a a recipe that i thought i would share after reading all the post

Roasted Ratatouille with Beans and cheese
1 onion chopped
1 eggplant peeled and cut into 1' pieces
1 zucchini, peeled and cut into 1' pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1' pieces
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 can ( 15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup marinara sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

1) preheat oven to 400 degrees , coat baking sheet with cooking spray, toss the onion,eggplant, zucchini, pepper, and oil in a large bowl. place on baking sheet and roast for 25 to 30 minutes. turning once or browned and tender

2) Heat chickpeas and marinara sauce in a large microwaveable bowl ( i use the stovetop) covered on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until hot, stir in the vinegar and roasted vegetables.

3) divide amoung 4 plates and top each with 3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese

makes 4 servings

this sounds so good! thank you for sharing it!

Old 12-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #20
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

Default barley & mushroom soup (vegan/vegetarian)

this is one of my very favorite winter recipes

1 tablespoon of corn oil divided in half - you can put a few drops of sesame oil in as well if you like the nutty flavor (it enhances the flavor of the mushrooms but use it sparingly...1/4tsp or less is enough)

1 medium red onion, chopped

4 cups fresh sliced mushrooms (mix morel, portabella, crimini and oyster mushrooms for a really yummy combo)

2 cups yellow crookneck squash chopped into bite sized chunks

3 cloves garlic, pressed (dont chop, just smash the heck out of the cloves or put them through a press to release the oil)

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1 & 1/2 cup washed barley

9 cups vegetarian/vegan broth
(if you make your own, roast the veggies beforehand to bring out their flavors. i put mine in a large tupperware style bowl, add whatever herbs/spices i like as well as 1/2tsp of olive oil, put the lid on, shake them up and then spread them out onto a cookie sheet covered in tin foil for roasting)

salt and pepper to your taste

2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried dill
~~~~
*1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
*2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
*both sherry & wine can be replaced by adding a combination of 1 tablespoon of stone ground mustard and 1 teaspoon of honey just before serving - taste and decide if you want to add more)
~~~~

the first few minutes of the recipe requires high heat in order to sear the veggies a bit so keep an eye on your pan in case you need to lower the temperature to keep the oil from getting too hot/smoking.

in a deep frying pan or wok, quickly saute the onion in half the corn oil until it's translucent. add the squash and saute for 2 more minutes - try to sear/brown the squash on at least one side. add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme (and sesame oil if desired) and saute another 3 minutes. empty ingredients into a bowl and set aside.

pour the washed barley and the rest of the corn oil into the pan/wok and stir it over the heat for 3 minutes. add broth and bring to a full boil. reduce to simmer for 35 minutes. add the veggie mixture to the barley and broth and continue at a simmer for 5 minutes. add in the sherry and wine (or the mustard and honey substitute) and season with salt and pepper to taste.

add the dill just before serving.

serve with salad & vinaigrette and your favorite foccacia, bread sticks or savory breads for an extra hearty meal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hippieflowergirl For This Useful Post: