Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Second tip, if you cook by eye sight and not measurements, before throwing in the spices, throw them into a bowl, then take the measurement. That way you can share with others and not have them guessing.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canela View Post

I love to cook!

Problem is, I can only cook a few things other than my native Tex Mex cuisine--a little Italian, a little American comfort food--and I cannot document recipes because I was taught by my Guelita who didn't use measurements either...

That said, even if I follow a recipe I will modify it and hope for the best...lol...don't ask me why, maybe rebellious?

This is a great thread idea, Sun!

I could use a little sprucing up in the kitchen department.

I'm hoping to impress my guy with my skills...
In the KITCHEN!
Hola Canela! Welcome!

Did you grow up in the Southwest? I love the cuisine of that region which is where I am as I type this. Roasting fresh chili's is my favorite way to bring flavor to the foods that I enjoy the most.

Impressing your guy in the kitchen sounds great to me!

LOL @ rebellious...sure why not? I always say "make it your own" and that is the way to do it.

Looking forward to seeing what this creative talented community brings to this thread!

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #23
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Hi Julie!

Yes cooking can be a chore and many people do not enjoy it. I love when someone cooks for me. That is by far one of my great joys in life. So what are you cooking?
Aww dang it. I thought someone would ask that. Spaghetti. No vegetable with it because I am worn out. My daughter loves ground beef so it has that but she won't eat the tomato sauce. We are having tomato sauce from a jar with ours. It is actually good. Most jarred sauces are awful.

I get overwhelmed with meat. It is disturbing to me although I do enjoy it when someone else makes it. I worry things aren't healthy enough. I have cooking skills. I have knife skills. I used to work pantry in a restaurant. I just get overwhelmed.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Second tip, if you cook by eye sight and not measurements, before throwing in the spices, throw them into a bowl, then take the measurement. That way you can share with others and not have them guessing.
Good tip Corkey. Have to admit that taking measurements after I have thrown together a dish is not my favorite thing to do but it is important if you are going to share the recipe. My Grandmother always would give out a recipe by saying " a little of this..a handful of that.." so i must of inherited that. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Really even if i am reading a recipe unless it is for baking, I am going to modify it the same way that Canela just described. Sometimes that works, sometimes, not so much but it is all a learning experience.

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,527 Times in 1,697 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post

Did I mention my ADD tendencies?

Happiness is like a butterfly which,
when pursued, is always beyond our grasp,
but, if you will sit down quietly,
may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

i want to cook the best homemade chicken pot pie ever made. i'm working on it. i've cooked 2, separate times. the first, i hurt a little bit after eating (hurt=good). the second, i rushed it, ... i didn't hurt at all.

i'm going to try again and i'll share the what's and how's of my homemade chicken pot pie adventures.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #27
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by macele View Post
i want to cook the best homemade chicken pot pie ever made. i'm working on it. i've cooked 2, separate times. the first, i hurt a little bit after eating (hurt=good). the second, i rushed it, ... i didn't hurt at all.

i'm going to try again and i'll share the what's and how's of my homemade chicken pot pie adventures.
I love pot pies and casseroles! I make a chicken and biscuits casserole that well, yes, I hurt, too...lol

may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
Aww dang it. I thought someone would ask that. Spaghetti. No vegetable with it because I am worn out. My daughter loves ground beef so it has that but she won't eat the tomato sauce. We are having tomato sauce from a jar with ours. It is actually good. Most jarred sauces are awful.

I get overwhelmed with meat. It is disturbing to me although I do enjoy it when someone else makes it. I worry things aren't healthy enough. I have cooking skills. I have knife skills. I used to work pantry in a restaurant. I just get overwhelmed.
Spaghetti is one of my go-to comfort foods. Simple, easy and I like to use butter and cheese. A good romano. That is it. Odd no?

There are some good jarred sauces out there but like everything else it seems to be just a matter of what tastes good to each of us. Sometimes I just take canned plum tomato's, a few cloves of fresh garlic and run them through the blender. Heat it up, season a little and there is a quick sauce. Nothing to it.

― Rumi

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by macele View Post

Welcome macele!

Oh I love chicken pot pie I am going to look forward to that recipe.

If anyone wants to cook that for me, I will be right over!

― Rumi

Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #30
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hi Gemme!

Wherever I go I can find a dish that I will enjoy and miss. Funny how many times spinach salad has come up as a topic in conversations with friends. Must be the dressing? A lot of people use bacon in the dressing. I do a spinach salad with soy, rice vinegar, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, a little toasted sesame oil and a little sugar. Then again I m in love with Asian flavors so that dressing could top many dishes and I would likely enjoy it!
Silver City had a warm bacon vinaigrette. I know, divine! I think they put liquid smoke in it too, as it was super smoky and yum.

A cold spinach salad, for me, would be like yours, with more of an Asian influence. Warm, though? Has to have bacon. It's the law.

I make a spinach salad at home that is horrible for water retention....lots o' salt in it, but it's really good. Fresh spinach, kalamata olives, feta, tomatoes, deli smoked ham, and Caesar Parmesan vinaigrette. Sometimes I'll throw some fresh button 'shrooms in there too.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #31
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

The downfall or blessing to not using measurements when I cook is that I make too much. I pack up the extra and take it to my mom, aunt, uncle, anyone who is available and not on a special diet. lol...(I learned the hard way)...

But it's the only way I know how to cook. I really hate to cook for one, I can NEVER get it right. How can that be?

may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #32
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Default YUM

Quote:
I love pot pies and casseroles! I make a chicken and biscuits casserole that well, yes, I hurt, too...lol
So what time is dinner?

*smirk*

― Rumi

Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

There's an idea! How about a reunion with kitchen priviledges! Then we could put on a luncheon or something....we could even coordinate the foods for the different courses and such...cultures, tastes, regional favorites all showcased.

may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #34
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Silver City had a warm bacon vinaigrette. I know, divine! I think they put liquid smoke in it too, as it was super smoky and yum.

A cold spinach salad, for me, would be like yours, with more of an Asian influence. Warm, though? Has to have bacon. It's the law.

I make a spinach salad at home that is horrible for water retention....lots o' salt in it, but it's really good. Fresh spinach, kalamata olives, feta, tomatoes, deli smoked ham, and Caesar Parmesan vinaigrette. Sometimes I'll throw some fresh button 'shrooms in there too.
The law of warm bacon dressing. Got it. Thanks for letting me know!

Yum your salad is right up my alley.

― Rumi

Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #35
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
There's an idea! How about a reunion with kitchen priviledges! Then we could put on a luncheon or something....we could even coordinate the foods for the different courses and such...cultures, tastes, regional favorites all showcased.
Where do I sign up?

Love it. A food event would be great fun!

― Rumi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #36
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
With cooking lessons from celebrity chefs like you! That would be super fun!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #37
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

One of my favourite food memories is the first time I visited my brother in Europe, he was living in Frankfurt at the time, we went to the corner grocer and bought bread, cheeses and meats. They eat that for breakfast.
My favourite was the Quark cheese (with herbs) on their wonderful baguette bread with a slice of salami. Oh my god food is so much better in Europe. I was hooked and now whenever i visit my brother he knows to have Quark and Salami for me. Yummy

That and Lamb in Barcelona, any restaurant. I don't know why they do it so well, but they do.

Ok, and the ice cream from the street vendors in Vienna.

And the chicken donair at the Amsterdam train station.

And the salami and spinach pizza anywhere in Germany.

Have i mentioned how much I like (good) food? And Europe has some of the best. Although my mom made awesome pyrogies.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Quote:
Where do I sign up?

Love it. A food event would be great fun!
I didn't think that far. I thought you would want to head that up...lol

<<<Idea person

may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #39
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I loathe to measure in the kitchen.
Which really confuses people since I teach cooking classes.
For them, I suck it up and write up a "real" recipe in advance with measurements and how many a recipe serves... but when I'm demo teaching it's all about how to eyeball and tell from texture and scent if something is just right.

My latest exciting dish at a class was a basic split pea soup, but without ham, and fluffed up with steamed and pureed cauliflower stirred into the soup and then the whole thing was topped with a drizzle of balsamic.

*yum!!!*
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #40
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Default Shrugs--I don't know I just work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
With cooking lessons from celebrity chefs like you! That would be super fun!!
Nooooooo!!!...Sun is the celebrity chef!

I thought he would coordinate the thing, we shall learn cooking tips and fabulous recipes and eventually all get to try them...How can we try them if we aren't there?

Oh never mind...lol...me and my big mouth.

may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post: