Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation
Default Animal Rescue/Foster/Adoption

Greetings All,

I am looking for a way to connect with people who are interested in or involved in animal rescue, foster, adoption or all 3.

Every day my news feed on Facebook is overflowing with plea's from volunteers in animal rescue who are looking for some help, especially in foster care given that so many high kill shelters are overwhelmed. I thought of creating a thread here because I know that some of you are already active in animal rescue and others may want to get involved.

We could educate one another on what it takes to get involved in rescue or foster care for dogs, cats, horses and other animals. We can discuss trap/spay/neuter and population control. We can do some networking and find solutions to help the struggling groups in our communities that are overwhelmed with dogs and cats, puppies and kittens that are on death row.

Just now I received a desperate plea from a friend on Facebook who is in Chatanooga TN and cant find foster care for 3 little kittens so they may be put to death today. Seriously? We are facing an epidemic of cruelty with domestic animals and we could instead see a turn to compassionate "No Kill" shelter care if only we were more organized in this realm.

So if you have any thoughts or ideas, jump on in.

Thank you,

Sun

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

As I'm at work and not enout time to give the attention it needs. I WILL n back
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I think we have a few threads about this. There are quite a few people that rescue. I do. I also operate a dog boarding facility and we specialize in discounted boarding for military deployment or families in transition.
Sachita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
As I'm at work and not enout time to give the attention it needs. I WILL n back
Thanks Teddy

― Rumi

Old 11-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
I think we have a few threads about this. There are quite a few people that rescue. I do. I also operate a dog boarding facility and we specialize in discounted boarding for military deployment or families in transition.
Thanks Sachita. I was not able to find a thread but will look again.

Right now I am looking for transports that work with rescue's in the TN area as they are some under served shelters out there that are asking for help as well as frustrated volunteers that need some new resources.

If you have any transport services that you would be willing to refer that would be great. Thank you

― Rumi

The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Every thing on my yard is a rescue, including Cracker, the flying squirrel, except the two old men in the back yard. I don't participate with an organized rescue group. I don't agree with how they portray the lives rescued animals have lived. Sometimes true stories, sometime half true stories and sometimes no where close to what happened to the animal.

I have never been in search of a cat, but God always sends them to me. Dogs well, that is another story. I've had many rescue dogs here. I see people in town and they go I got so and so from you. Usually I need to be reminded what kind of dog so and so was to remember them...LOL.

I have rescued cats, dogs, goats, squirrels, rabbits raccoons, birds all kinds of God's creatures have found their way here. For me it's a gift, and it always gives me a blessing.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanks for sharing that Blade. Sounds like some smart animals know a good thing when they see it!

― Rumi

Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I'm down to 10 rescue cats and still hoping to find homes for half of them. I had 17 at one time inside. Did catch fix and release where I used to live in OK. Paid out of pocket for 36 and my vet kept 5, helped farm out the real wild ones, to be barn kitties. Where I'm at now, we have trailer park kitties, some that people who move out leave behind. I know this because they are fixed and it's sad. They know a lady goes around filling food bowls each day. I leave a cup of food out every morning and lately one has my number and waits for me on my porch for lunch.

I wish more people that took pets realize they come with a lifelong responsibility, like children. If you don't intend on keeping them and making the commitment, don't take them.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,615 Times in 3,974 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I spend alot of my time with rescue..dog, cat and horses. I do it on FB to raise funds for rescue organizations I have scrutinized and found to be good ones that dont waste the money. I also do it in real time too, helping with fundraisers and adopting and fostering. I recently adopted a very old girl, about 10 that absolutely no one wanted. She was a skeleton and the woman who found her trotting down her road, couldnt bring her in the house because she had a litter of Boston Terrier pups. So the old girl stayed outside in a pen..much better than running loose on the road, but none the less, she has a short coat and was skinny and old. So she is with me now and has adapted well in the house. She came housebroken, and is fat now, and poor thing, as loving as could be. Why she was running loose is beside me.

Someday in the future they are going to look back on our times and wonder who we ever allowed such a holocaust to happen to these animal. We will realize by then, that they are valued members of the world and divinely, we destroyed lives like some people smoke cigarrettes..with an addictive frenzy and no care where the next pack will come until the last one is gone...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

This is Nabiya, she's now 11. She was about 6 when I adopted her. This is our first day together and before she had had a bath and eventually groomed. She's here with me in Malaysia.

Dog abandonment is a huge issue in South Korea and Malaysia (as well as other South East Asian countries). There have been a number of success stories in Korea with dogs being adopted by Americans and Canadians and funds raised for them to be flown out.

That doesn't happen so much here in Malaysia. There's a much bigger problem with street dogs here with terrible skin conditions as well as injuries and if the local city councils round them up and capture them ... well, let's just say it's not pretty. Nor is it humane. Lots of street cats here as well. Dogs are popular with the Chinese and Indians and cats are popular with the Malays. Cats don't tend to be speyed/neutered so the cat population is is crazy.

It's a serious problem with little to no financial support from the government.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

This is one of the facebook pages I follow:

https://www.facebook.com/ThePatrickMiracle

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
Penelope

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
In Love♥

Penelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST Reputation

I volunteer for the Friendship Animal Protective League out of Elyria, Ohio. Many of the cats and dogs brought in have been surrendered by owners, picked up in humane cases or rescued from puppy mills. They work directly with the Lorain County Animal Shelter who handles most of the strays, and then we pull a few at a time from there as space permits.

In my Facebook travels, I came across a group that is transporting animals from rescue groups and shelters to foster or forever homes across the US. They are called Pawsome Truckers & Transport.

Web-site: http://www.alldogswelcome.com/pawsom...ks--trans.html

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PawsomeTruckers
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I volunteer for the Friendship Animal Protective League out of Elyria, Ohio. Many of the cats and dogs brought in have been surrendered by owners, picked up in humane cases or rescued from puppy mills. They work directly with the Lorain County Animal Shelter who handles most of the strays, and then we pull a few at a time from there as space permits.

In my Facebook travels, I came across a group that is transporting animals from rescue groups and shelters to foster or forever homes across the US. They are called Pawsome Truckers & Transport.

Web-site: http://www.alldogswelcome.com/pawsom...ks--trans.html

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PawsomeTruckers
Thank you for the links.

Is anyone in or near OK that can foster a small dog?

― Rumi

Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

You know, I feel like venting a bit.

I've been feeding a couple male cats that hang down at my end of the trailer park. I knew they were both fixed, but today I realized one of them has been declawed in the front. He had rolled over on the cement for me to pet him and I just happened to peek at his front paws. When they're declawed they just look different...who the hell lets a cat go that has not only been fixed, but also declawed. It makes me sick to think that there are people in the world that take an animal and discard them like trash when they no longer want them or can't bring them to wherever they're moving. I have been living in this crappy place because of my rescues. It gets harder everyday for me to stay here with this slumlord that owns the park now, but we all make choices. When my ex and I split up a few years ago and I got custody of all the rescues, I made the choice to keep them together and try and find good homes for them.....ok, so the good home thing hasn't really worked out, but I'm not going to just toss them in the street again.....some days I just wish I didn't or couldn't feel for animals or people, but I know it's not who I am.

Stepping off soapbox now.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

*Applauding* I've got a full house here too Wolfy. Someone just abandoned a mama and her five babies here in the woods I'm feeding now, along with a few others...
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

I use to foster bunnies when I was single. My little apartment living room was divided up with separate living areas for bunnies that were left by people in the hood. I would feed them, trap them, get them checked out, foster til they were adoptable.

http://www.rabbit.org/newmexico/

I help out with the parrie dog rescue folks, by feeding the dogs along the hi/byways of albuquerque. We save up our leftover fresh fruits and veggies during the warmer days, and buy hay to put in the holes right before the weather changes.

http://www.prairiedogpals.org/

Where I live in Albuquerque we have lots of stray dogs, mainly pit bulls, I try hard to keep treats and extra leashes in my car so I am able to get them off the streets before they are run over. I normally will take them to a rescue but sometimes to animal welfare, just depending on my own funds.

I was also part of http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/ helped them transport a few dogs across NM from TX to AZ to CO.

Great thread!!
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

My sister does German shepherd and corgi rescue, so I've learned a lot about the movement from her.

It's so cool, how people across the country act as relay drivers, taking animals part of the way then meeting someone else who takes them the rest of the way to a foster home far away.

And I can only imagine the self-control it takes, to be that person who goes to puppy mill conventions, offering to take the dogs who can't breed anymore, staying civil with the breeders so they don't lose access to the dogs that need rescuing.

I really respect the organizations that support fostering and try to find appropriate homes for dogs, even if it takes a while. The stories and photos my sister has sent of dogs she helped socialize to the point where they were adoptable and can live in a home again, have been very moving.

People can't rescue animals on their own unless they have unlimited time, money and space. It seems like such a huge endeavor!

Wolfy, I don't know about your area, but surely there is some organization that will help you find homes for the strays you are fostering? You need support, but I don't know what that would be, where you live.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
You know, I feel like venting a bit.

I've been feeding a couple male cats that hang down at my end of the trailer park. I knew they were both fixed, but today I realized one of them has been declawed in the front. He had rolled over on the cement for me to pet him and I just happened to peek at his front paws. When they're declawed they just look different...who the hell lets a cat go that has not only been fixed, but also declawed. It makes me sick to think that there are people in the world that take an animal and discard them like trash when they no longer want them or can't bring them to wherever they're moving. I have been living in this crappy place because of my rescues. It gets harder everyday for me to stay here with this slumlord that owns the park now, but we all make choices. When my ex and I split up a few years ago and I got custody of all the rescues, I made the choice to keep them together and try and find good homes for them.....ok, so the good home thing hasn't really worked out, but I'm not going to just toss them in the street again.....some days I just wish I didn't or couldn't feel for animals or people, but I know it's not who I am.

Stepping off soapbox now.
Wolfy I share your frustration. It is very hard to watch animals be thrown away essentially. Have you tried posting ads on Facebook for adopters? The rescue groups and shelters that I am linked up with have a lot of success through FB. All it takes is a photo and description of the cat. You decide how to evaluate the adopter or foster. You have a good heart and those cats are lucky to have you. I would try to get the cat who was de clawed placed because they are the most vulnerable when they can not defend themselves.

― Rumi

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Wolfy I share your frustration. It is very hard to watch animals be thrown away essentially. Have you tried posting ads on Facebook for adopters? The rescue groups and shelters that I am linked up with have a lot of success through FB. All it takes is a photo and description of the cat. You decide how to evaluate the adopter or foster. You have a good heart and those cats are lucky to have you. I would try to get the cat who was de clawed placed because they are the most vulnerable when they can not defend themselves.

Sun, that's a great idea, so use social media to find homes for the cats.

In New York there are cat rescue organizations and they raise money for catch-neuter-release programs, and other stuff. I'm not really up on what they do except in a general way—the point is, maybe there is something like that where you live, Wolfy?

I talked about my sister doing foster work with dogs but she has a whole network of people behind her who raise money and take turns hosting the dogs, and so on. There has to be something in your state, Wolfy! At least I hope so.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,720 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation