Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
I've been following this *paper bag flooring* concept for
five years. The process has been much improved, but the end result still looks the same. I haven't tried it yet but I'm darn close. Consistently I keep reading/hearing you can recover *LARGE* spaces for a $100 investment plus time. I'm attaching what I think is the most informative
tutorial, however, like everything we do, watch as many as you can to pick up as many tips possible. (sorry, long sentence)

Years ago, without knowing others were doing it, I discovered how many cool things I could make with wadded up paper bag pieces and Elmer's glue. I think this flooring idea is pretty awesome, and I love the earthy look of it. Thank you for sharing it!

Quote:
Thank-you Hollylane and Gaige for starting this thread. In my newspaper reading days, I loved Hints from Heloise . I've always got a project or two going on and with that always comes some sort of snag.

Speaking of snag. My 25 year old Sears Kenmore Dryer is making a noise. I don't expect it to have an operating life of infinity, I'm thinking the belt may be dry rot. Certainly thats something I can repair. I saw where Hollylane posted about ~Gaige to the rescue~ on her dryer repair. Can someone point me in the direction of that research? Thank you again!

It was the washer that she repaired, and it is working fantastically! She went online and searched do-it-yourself videos and websites for my model of washer. Then she just went to work, with a look of joy and determination. I was pretty impressed!

Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

As I said before, I live in a very furry household. I have a ton of windows, and they are all covered in cream colored heavy drapes. At the outside edges, and where the curtains part, I am constantly battling the cat hair that accumulates there, seemingly overnight. I have been fighting with the vacuum for several years, trying mostly unsuccessfully to lift the cat hair from the curtains.

A month or so ago, I discovered that you can use rubber cleaning gloves to simply wipe the hair right off. It is so easy, that I do it every time I vacuum a room (about twice a week).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
LaDivina

How Do You Identify?:
Lady-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady-ones

Thanked 1,729 Times in 413 Posts
LaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I've been following this *paper bag flooring* concept for
five years. The process has been much improved, but the end result still looks the same. I haven't tried it yet but I'm darn close. Consistently I keep reading/hearing you can recover *LARGE* spaces for a $100 investment plus time. I'm attaching what I think is the most informative
tutorial, however, like everything we do, watch as many as you can to pick up as many tips possible. (sorry, long sentence)
Interesting! It looked sort of like concrete to me. I wonder how it would look if you tore the paper in long strips, like plank flooring.
LaDivina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LaDivina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #24
Butchsecrets

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Butchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST ReputationButchsecrets Has the BEST Reputation

And it works on week-old exploded fish in the microwave, doesn't it princess
Butchsecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Butchsecrets For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
LaDivina

How Do You Identify?:
Lady-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady-ones

Thanked 1,729 Times in 413 Posts
LaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Speaking of snag. My 25 year old Sears Kenmore Dryer is making a noise. I don't expect it to have an operating life of infinity, I'm thinking the belt may be dry rot. Certainly thats something I can repair.
I learned how to change my dryer belt on youtube!
LaDivina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LaDivina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
Everyone probably already knows this one but its one of my faves and i did it just today...

An easy way to clean the microwave, squeeze a half of a lemon into a bowl with like a cup of water, and i actually leave the lemon in the water as well. Pop it into the microwave for about 4 minutes. Let it sit for two. Open the door and just wipe away the mess. The steam from the lemon water releases the tough food stuffs AND it makes the microwave smell clean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchsecrets View Post
And it works on week-old exploded fish in the microwave, doesn't it princess

I put these together so that I could show who/what you were responding to, since it was on a previous page. Hope you don't mind
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #27
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation
Smile one of many uses for epsom salts (uber inexpensive too)

Fertilize your houseplants - Most plants need nutrients like magnesium and sulfur to stay in good health and Epsom salt makes the primary nutrients in most plant foods (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) more effective. Sprinkle Epsom salt once weekly to help nourish your houseplants, flowers and vegetables.

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

I am so intrigued by the paper bag floor idea. I googled it and am in LOVE! Totally going to try it someday. Thanks, guys!!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #29
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDivina View Post
Interesting! It looked sort of like concrete to me. I wonder how it would look if you tore the paper in long strips, like plank flooring.
I have an art studio/office type of room that I majorly double fucked up the carpet in. First,
I knocked a bottle of ink off the drawing table (splaattt). Then serious ruin came when I put a triple espresso on top of an imaginary table . That espresso stain covers 6 feet. So I'm going to cut the center square carpet out of the room and cover it with this paper floor. It can NOT look any worse than the way it's looking now.

I'm thinking about LaDivina's suggestion. Why couldn't I make faux planks? Cut planks and draw wood like patterns (with a sharpie maybe ??) assorted grains and knot holes. It's an art room....if it looks awful, as the youtube tutors have said, add another layer and cover it.

I imparted from one lady (on u tube) {read the comments} she did a bedroom, then a cement entryway, then furniture....she used welbond from micheals instead of elmers and suggests satin waterbased verathane for the *clear coat floor finish* dries quicker, less V.O.C's and holds up better.

I'd finish off the project by using some kind of wood to tie the carpet edges into my faux floor.

I'm open to suggestions....I love to tap into peoples imaginations............................

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

I, like Novela, am loving the paper bag flooring idea! I'm pretty handy, and after having restored an 1860's house, am pretty fearless about trying new things. Worse comes to worse, just be prepared to pay a professional to complete something if I am in over my head...

That being said, I googled this for a couple of hours after I saw Dominque's post... WOW... there are a lot of applications for this idea... one woman has done not just floors, but also a counter-top... and seeing her followup posts and pictures, she has shown how its held up after 6 months or so of use... I will be heading to HomoDepot to find supplies to experiment with... will let you know how it turns out and if we decide to try it on a room...

Sorry about the slight derail, but I can be hyperfocused when it comes to something that combines DIY AND the craftiness in me!

Back to cleaning... I tried the white vinegar as a rinse aid in the dishwasher yesterday... I was really pleased with the results!

For air-freshening... we have a bagless vacuum and place ground cinnamon in the canister before we vacuum... its pretty cost-effective if you get the mondo-size at Costco!

I also use lemons/limes/any citrus in the garbage disposal... run some hot water while you are grinding them up and it is an instant blast of freshness!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie View Post
I, like Novela, am loving the paper bag flooring idea! I'm pretty handy, and after having restored an 1860's house, am pretty fearless about trying new things. Worse comes to worse, just be prepared to pay a professional to complete something if I am in over my head...

That being said, I googled this for a couple of hours after I saw Dominque's post... WOW... there are a lot of applications for this idea... one woman has done not just floors, but also a counter-top... and seeing her followup posts and pictures, she has shown how its held up after 6 months or so of use... I will be heading to HomoDepot to find supplies to experiment with... will let you know how it turns out and if we decide to try it on a room...

Sorry about the slight derail, but I can be hyperfocused when it comes to something that combines DIY AND the craftiness in me!

Back to cleaning... I tried the white vinegar as a rinse aid in the dishwasher yesterday... I was really pleased with the results!

For air-freshening... we have a bagless vacuum and place ground cinnamon in the canister before we vacuum... its pretty cost-effective if you get the mondo-size at Costco!

I also use lemons/limes/any citrus in the garbage disposal... run some hot water while you are grinding them up and it is an instant blast of freshness!
I don't think any of this was a derail

I like the idea of the cinnamon in the canister, but won't that clog my filters?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylane View Post

I don't think any of this was a derail

I like the idea of the cinnamon in the canister, but won't that clog my filters?
We've not had a problem with clogging the filters, but I see how it could be a concern. I've not ever sprinkled the cinnamon on the carpets, but have toyed with the idea of a cinnamon/baking soda sprinkle - my own version of carpet-fresh!

Speaking of filters, I like to get extra mileage out of them by either blowing them out with the shop-vac, actually vacuuming them with the shop vac (its tedious and not a habit) or taking them to the gas station and blowing them out with the air compressor. This is especially helpful when doing home projects that require using the shop vac and those filters can be pricey!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #33
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Great idea from more than one poster about the microfiber cloths, I'll have to check those out!

As far as the disposable sponges, I do like the ones with the scrubber side, and I do use them, but I pop them into the dishwasher whenever I run it, which keeps them from getting that nasty smell. I use them until they almost disintegrate.

You can also put a damp sponge in the microwave for at least 90 seconds. Kills about 99% of the germs but it will be HOT when you go to take it out.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #34
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
You can also put a damp sponge in the microwave for at least 90 seconds. Kills about 99% of the germs but it will be HOT when you go to take it out.
Gaige says you can add lemon juice to that, and it works even better.

Learn from my mistakes (or simply use common sense)...

Do not start more laundry than you can finish, and then leave it sitting to be forgotten during a busy work week. This is especially true if you live in a damp area (Oregon), and if you are conscious about your energy/water footprint.

I have now had to rewash two loads of clothes, two times, to get the mildew smell out. Yuck, and very wasteful of water, electricity, and detergent.

I'm a little annoyed with me right now....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #35
StrongButch

How Do You Identify?:
I see the world thru a lens
Preferred Pronoun?:
Yes Boss
Relationship Status:
Chillin out with awesome women

Thanked 4,185 Times in 1,179 Posts
StrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hints

Great thread for us guys. Im a clean freak. Ill keep reading. If you want help with cooking anything I can help in exchange for your handy cleaning tips. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #36
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Cool Whopeeeee..soon very soon, out to play

3 cats are in hiding.
What's safe for etched mirrors and etched glass shower doors.

Bought a gallon of vinegar and a triple size box of baking soda.

This morning, I experimented and fizzed my kitchen double sink/garbage disposal with the baking soda, vinegar and hot water (how-to-do-above) . I did it twice. I just did it because. It was actually interesting Plus, it went glug glug faster the second time around.

I did the electric coffee pot with vinegar and water, then poured it into the dishwasher and am running it through a cycle.

I swiffered the hardwood floors with that great citrus smelling moist pad, turned it over when it got dusty, Then, rinsed it out, put some glass cleaner on it an swiped the Italian tile in the master bath.

Now, to clean the tile grout. Those grout cleaners stink too bad, and are nasty chemicals, Only thing I know to use on it is good ole fashioned bleach...Wonder what else baking soda and vinegar can do.

Jacuzzi tonight
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #37
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Gaige says you can add lemon juice to that, and it works even better.

Learn from my mistakes (or simply use common sense)...

Do not start more laundry than you can finish, and then leave it sitting to be forgotten during a busy work week. This is especially true if you live in a damp area (Oregon), and if you are conscious about your energy/water footprint.

I have now had to rewash two loads of clothes, two times, to get the mildew smell out. Yuck, and very wasteful of water, electricity, and detergent.

I'm a little annoyed with me right now....
I have found vinegar in the washer during the rinse cycle (as the fabric softener) or just the whole darn wash works to get rid of the mildew smell in one load AND when towels get that "soap build up" smell.

spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #38
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post
I have found vinegar in the washer during the rinse cycle (as the fabric softener) or just the whole darn wash works to get rid of the mildew smell in one load AND when towels get that "soap build up" smell.

It's funny you should mention that Spritzer, I kind of instinctively came to that on my own, after washing and drying about 4 times, and I was planning to post it in here! Awesome advice!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #39
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I pour some vinegar into the washing machine with the laundry soap anytime I am washing my dog's blankets. Vinegar gets rid of urine smell.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #40
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I pour some vinegar into the washing machine with the laundry soap anytime I am washing my dog's blankets. Vinegar gets rid of urine smell.
White vinegar is awesome for so many things! It is one of the only things I've found that will get out the smell of cat urine. Also, very good for washing windows, and NO streaking!

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post: