Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation
Default Help with Recipes

This is a thread for getting help with our recipes. I like to do a lot of experimental cooking which sometimes turns out great and sometimes turns out terrible. This is a place to share recipes that didn't turn out how you wanted and ask for help and ideas on improving them

- - -

So what made me think of this is a stir-fry I made tonight that came out edible, but not good. I often screw up stir-fries. Here's what I put in tonight:

- - -

veggies: kale, white/green cabbage, yellow and green onions, jalapenos

"meat": tofu (firm)

flavoring: lite coconut milk (from a can), red curry paste, fresh basil

carb/protein: quinoa (added to stir-fry at end after I pre-cooked it)

oil: hot sesame stir-fry oil

- - -

To me, all these ingredients sound delicious! But it ended up being quite bland. I salvaged it by adding a red Thai chili dipping sauce but it still wasn't that good, and also I didn't like adding that because it's not healthy (sugar), and I tend to like to cook as natural and healthy as possible, but it gave it a little bit of sweetness and spiciness that it was lacking. Still, it did not mesh all that well with the coconut milk and curry paste.

So my question is how do you think I could improve this recipe? I should note that I love spicy and am vegetarian.

- - -

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
meridiantoo

How Do You Identify?:
A Speck in the Milky Way
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Monogamous relationship

Thanked 2,299 Times in 890 Posts
meridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputation
Default Love this topic

Great thread....subscribing
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
This is a thread for getting help with our recipes. I like to do a lot of experimental cooking which sometimes turns out great and sometimes turns out terrible. This is a place to share recipes that didn't turn out how you wanted and ask for help and ideas on improving them

- - -

So what made me think of this is a stir-fry I made tonight that came out edible, but not good. I often screw up stir-fries. Here's what I put in tonight:

- - -

- - -

To me, all these ingredients sound delicious! But it ended up being quite bland. I salvaged it by adding a red Thai chili dipping sauce but it still wasn't that good, and also I didn't like adding that because it's not healthy (sugar), and I tend to like to cook as natural and healthy as possible, but it gave it a little bit of sweetness and spiciness that it was lacking. Still, it did not mesh all that well with the coconut milk and curry paste.

So my question is how do you think I could improve this recipe? I should note that I love spicy and am vegetarian.

- - -
For me when im cooking and want to add a bit of heat to it i add crushed red pepper flakes and small bit of chill or cheyenne pepper to it. It will give u a bit ofa kick
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

- - -

- - -

- - -

- - -
What flavor did you use for the tofu? Kosher salt n pepper adds tons of flavor or low sodium shoyu.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

I didn't use any flavor for the tofu. I threw it all in a wok. And in fact, it was more like I was boiling everything in a can of lite coconut milk instead of stir-frying.

I will try your suggestions. After all you were the one who finally got me making my own salad dressings and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
What flavor did you use for the tofu? Kosher salt n pepper adds tons of flavor or low sodium shoyu.

How do I... ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I didn't use any flavor for the tofu. I threw it all in a wok. And in fact, it was more like I was boiling everything in a can of lite coconut milk instead of stir-frying.

I will try your suggestions. After all you were the one who finally got me making my own salad dressings and loving it!
Yea well tofu has no flavor so you can use any flavor profile, just marinade it for about 10 minutes in the fridge. Then chop it up or serve in slices, after you cook it.

There is a show on vegan cooking called Christina Cooks on PBS or Create. Look it up on your local channels.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".

Last edited by Corkey; 03-18-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: another thought.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Jennifer,
My own recipe for stir fry consists of only minced garlic and minced ginger for seasonings. This keeps me away from the salt that I cannot have. It can be mixed with your choice of veggies and meat (tofu). I usually cook my rice separately and serve the veggie/meat mixture over it.
Paul

I usually use peanut oil. It will heat to a higher temperature which is what is needed for stir fry.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

How to use a wok.
Use a oil that can stand heat.
Do your tofu first and remove from wok when done.
Add pastes or sauces.
Add veggies, the more dense first then the leafy ones at the end. Return Tofu to heat up and done.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,131 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

- - -

- - -

- - -

- - -
may i suggest kimchi adds flavor to several dishs
Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

thanks, ocean. good reminder about kimchi (and to think, I have some in the fridge right now!). a jar of kimchi simply added to tofu and veggies in a wok has made a pretty decent stir-fry for me in the past. I love the spiciness of kimchi. It's one of my favorite foods / flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ocean View Post
may i suggest kimchi adds flavor to several dishs

How do I... ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,131 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

I use kimchi even to akai rice as well or to any meat if u eat meats ~ I am not a big fan of meat at ALL ~ seafood dish's ~ a staple product in my kitchen ~ also a small amount goes a long way ~
Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Here's a recipe I use for making stir fry, given to me by a dear friend from when I was in college. He was a practicing vegetarian and I always loved the meals he would make.

Robert's recipe for Tofu Stir Fry

Ingredients:

a bar of Tofu
Soy Sauce
Teriyaki Sauce
Organic vegetables: Carrots & Kale & Brocolli buds
Raw organic almonds
Yakisoba noodles
Organic coconut oil
Spices: sea salt, cracked pepper, chili pepper flakes and Cardamom (optional)

Preparation:

1) Take your bar of tofu and slice it up like you would a loaf of bread. Arrange the tofu in a small pan or dish so you can soak the tofu in Soy sauce.

2) While the tofu is marinating in Soy sauce, wash 2 small sized carrots and half a bunch of kale and the broccoli buds. Next, prepare the carrots using a sliced, Julienne method; then slice up the kale into thin strips, as well. If the almonds you have on hand are whole, slice them as thinly as possible too. The brocolli buds should be fairly small: What I do is take each stem of broccoli and make smaller buds from each one.

3) Use a fairly large caste iron skillet (or a wok, if you have one). Heat your pan first, then add about a tablespoon of coconut oil. Keep a brush handy nearby, because you'll want to re-distribute the oil around the pan before you put the Tofu and vegetables in to fry.

4) Once the pan is ready, retrieve the marinated tofu and slice it up into small squares before you put it into the pan.

5) Now, put the tofu into the pan; then begin to add your prepared vegetables to the mixture too. Use a wooden spoon to stir the elements around the pan, on a fairly consistent rotation. Once the vegetables appear to take on brighter colors, this is your cue to open up your package of Yakisoba noodles and add them the mixture of Tofu and veggies that are frying in the pan. I sometimes have to cut up the noodles into smaller portions; but however you choose to untangle the noodles, be fairly quick because you don't want to leave your tofu and veggies unattended for too long.

6) Once you add the noodles to the mixture in the stir fry pan, begin again to stir all the ingredients so that they are evenly heated. Once I add the noodles, it takes about 5 to ten minutes before everything appears to be cooked to a finished appearance. When this happens, then add a bit of sea salt, crack some pepper over it too; then I like to sprinkle a little bit of chili pepper flakes, a hint of cayenne pepper and then about a sprinkle or two of cardamom. After I add the spices, I stir it all up again, then I add a few swirls of Teriayki sauce to it and re-stir again.

7) Turn off the heat to the pan, your stir fry is done.

*** it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to put this meal together.

Here's an example of what it should look like when your finished with cooking your stir fry meal:

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanks, Katzchen, that looks so good!

PS to all: I found out on closer inspection that I used an oil that was not supposed to be heated for that ill-fated stir-fry I made.

How do I... ?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,672 Times in 7,710 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

awesome thread, Jenn. ~~~~subscribing~~~~
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

maryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Maybe next time you could do the stir fry part without the coconut milk, just use canola spray or whatever your preference is, and toss it in a bowl and then pour the coconut milk in the wok and make your sauce separately to dump over it. Then you could spice it to taste.

I vote for marinading the tofu too. Maybe a bit of shoyu, garlic and ginger. I like your ingredient list, but I like a bit of crunch in mine, so I'd be adding some nuts or something as well. Pine nuts are yummy in stir fry.
maryam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maryam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

For toss of you who make stuffed cabbage rolls or other dishes with cabbage leaves.

wrap fresh cabbage in plastic wrap and place in freezers overnight. When thawed the leaves will fall off core ready for use in recipe
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Stupid gadget. I don't usually spell this bad on my own....

supposed to read " For those of you.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Default Another tip from Kitchen Bliss

When selecting herbs for a "little of this and that" dish, instead of just tossing herbs willy nilly into your new dish, take a sniff....

that's right, sniff your first choice, pick up another and sniff them together... if you don't like the 2nd, put it down and select another. Do this until you have a combination you enjoy. You can add spices using this same technique, just don't inhale ...... lol

You can combine herbs using your nose, THEN add to your dish. Avoids turning it into fancy dog food... lol

Happy Cooking!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
Daktari

Try coconut oil. It's a fantastically healthy 'good' oil. It's got a high smoking point, so should be good for stir fries.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Try coconut oil. It's a fantastically healthy 'good' oil. It's got a high smoking point, so should be good for stir fries.
Great suggestion Daktari,

Oh lordy YES, be sure to get the organic that smells and tastes like coconut... omg so yummy... is great for your skin also.. melt it in your hands, and rub it all over your body... does NOT stain clothing or sheets.... makes everything kissable... lol heals many skin conditions, and great for kids. Put it on your toast instead of butter, keeps the munchies away cause your body loves it.... my cats and dogs love it also.

Don't buy the louanne brand, it's horrible. Get the good stuff, you are worth every penny!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post: