Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation
Default All things about photograpy

I looked and didn't find a thread about photography, maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Either way, I hope that we can all learn something from one another with regards to taking pictures and what equipment you use.

What kind of camera do you use?

Is there a item that you just can't live without?

Websites you recommend?

Books for beginners? Applications?

Ect...

I hope this thread can be helpful to those of us who love to shoot things with our cameras...

For Christmas I received a Nikon D3100 and have yet to take two seconds to read any of the information that was included with my camera. I am beyond excited as this is the camera I have been dreaming about for the last 3 years and can't wait to truly put it to use.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

NitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
I looked and didn't find a thread about photography, maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Either way, I hope that we can all learn something from one another with regards to taking pictures and what equipment you use.

Websites you recommend? Books for beginners? Applications? Ect...

I hope this thread can be helpful to those of us who love to shoot things with our cameras... For Christmas I received a Nikon D3100 and have yet to take two seconds to read any of the information that was included with my camera. I am beyond excited as this is the camera I have been dreaming about for the last 3 years and can't wait to truly put it to use.

Same as you. Nikon D3100

I have quite a few lenses ... gear... filters... polarizers... I can't imagine not using ALL this stuff. You will be amazed how quickly you find you need more "gear."

I appreciate you starting this. Hope to see some good posts. I am a photographer by profession so I will be more than happy to add My two cents.

I recommend buying the guide for your camera. Not the little paper thing that came with your camera. I mean the book specifically for your camera. "Dummies" for your specific model is always a good start as well.

There are so many websites out there. I have a few favorites that I use BUT for a beginner THIS is one of the best out there:

http://digital-photography-school.com/
Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thanks!

NitroChrys_Butch, thank you for replying. I do know there are others who like to shoot things with their cameras, so by all means share whatever links you would like. I will check out that link you posted as soon as I have a day off. One of my clients told me to check out the For Dummies series and to also use the disc (manual) that you get with your camera. He also said to ask around, find out what your friends are using and go from there. Thank you once again for sharing.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Daktari

Another here picture taker here.

Currently doing a 365ish project again but instead of carrying a tank of a Nikon D100, tripod, lenses and wotnot everyday I bought a Canon G15 and am loving playing around with it. I bought it especially because it's 'fast' throughout the zoom range, it's light and has full manual mode too.
I use a teeny bendy tripod with it and I'm good to go.

Please remember folks we're not allowed to post our pictures in the thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Asari

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

Asari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Nikon D60.

Quote:

Photoshop.
A good macro lens.
For portrait photography a white/silver and a gold reflector.

Quote:

Websites you recommend?
Youtube? There are some nice tutorials.

Mahatma Gandhi
Asari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asari For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I love that this thread has been created. There are a few photography threads on the site but they don't seem to get much attention which is why you probably couldn't find them. Hopefully, this one will be different given it's an obsession of mine. It's the reason I logged in today! ヅ

I shoot film exclusively. I don't even own a digital camera [save for my iPhone and an old Nikon point & shoot that I haven't pointed at anything in ages]. It's just my preference. I need more pixels in my life like that proverbial fish on a bicycle ヅ however, I do appreciate the convenience and ease of digital photography. Having said that, the equipment I use are 35mm and medium format cameras. I shoot primarily with my Pentax ME Super & Minolta SRT 202, both professional SLR vintage cameras from the 1970s. I also collect vintage cameras and love shooting with my 50 year old Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. I have to admit to also loving my little plastic toy Holga just as much as my SLR's. It's just entirely too much fun to shoot. It's always like Christmas when I get those prints processed.

I do though want to say that I don't really think equipment makes a photographer good nor do structured classes. While both of those things can and do help and there are just some things you have to know and some items you have to have, but truly it's a passion that you feel within your very soul to be good at it in my opinion. It's like anything else in this life. Love it and it will love you. Photographers are a dime a dozen today and buying the newest most sophisticated gear is really madness because that gorgeous camera and all of that beautiful glass will be obsolete next month when something bigger and better is introduced into the marketplace and so in that, again in my opinion, it's a matter of finding what suits you and your tastes and learning everything you can about that particular piece. Like Charles Bukowski said, 'find what you love and let it kill you'.

Here is a link to my photoblog where you can see what I do with film.

http://faireunvoeu.wordpress.com/

P.s. I do very little post editing anymore - I did quite a bit in my early years but now I don't find the need or desire so much. I'd be lying if I said I didn't edit at all but I do keep it at a preferred minimum. I don't even know how to use Photoshop. ヅ
Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

NitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Another here picture taker here.

Currently doing a 365ish project again but instead of carrying a tank of a Nikon D100, tripod, lenses and wotnot everyday I bought a Canon G15 and am loving playing around with it. I bought it especially because it's 'fast' throughout the zoom range, it's light and has full manual mode too.
I use a teeny bendy tripod with it and I'm good to go.

Please remember folks we're not allowed to post our pictures in the thread.
It was a good idea to post that as a general reminder even though I had no intention of posting My photographs here. IF anyone is interested, I can post a link to where they can find My photographs.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroChrys_Butch View Post
It was a good idea to post that as a general reminder even though I had no intention of posting My photographs here. IF anyone is interested, I can post a link to where they can find My photographs.
It was given as a general reminder too Chrys

I was thinking that folks would post links instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I've used a lot of different equipment over the years both film and digital. I think the most important lesson I learned was from using film when development was expensive and I was broke. Start by taking a good picture. It is easy now to just fire off 30 or 50 shots knowing you'll likely get lucky with one or two. Post production software makes even bad camera jocks look good some of the time. The skill of knowing your lighting and composition as well as what story you want to tell is where the creativity comes in. It's also where the biggest personal rewards are found.

That said I start with the best shot I can get straight from the camera and consider myself lucky to have a full darkroom at my fingertips for minor fixes and learning. Taking lots of pictures also has its place as a great way to get good with your equipment, and with digital you can take as many as you want. I think the unlimited practice can help folks who pursue it get better, faster.

There is also of course the adage that the best camera you have is the one you have with you.

Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

I agree with Vintage Femme about the equipment does not make a good photographer. It is in your soul and your blood or it isn't. There needs to be talent and and eye for composition. Photography is My obsession and passion. Learn the rules of photography and then break them. RULE is a four-lettered word.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
her favorite snack

Thanked 21,373 Times in 6,723 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know enough to comment, but I'm here to learn. ty
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
I don't know enough to comment, but I'm here to learn. ty
Welcome aboard. That is what it is all about! *G
Old 12-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

It is easy now to just fire off 30 or 50 shots knowing you'll likely get lucky with one or two. Post production software makes even bad camera jocks look good some of the time.

I don't take 30 or 50 photographs thinking ONE will be good. Often I have 30 great photographs all at different angles... I understand the workings of My camera enough to know that I can take ONE shot and it will be a good one. I take the time to get that great shot without just "pushing a button" ... if I have to take 50 photographs to get a good one, I am not understanding many things about photography. I do this for a living so I have a grasp on what settings to use to get that great shot.. the first time.

I know what you mean. There are a lot of people who think because they have the equipment they are taking great photos. It has become easy to pick up a camera and snap away. Having talent and an eye ... a 'gift' for this makes the difference.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanks everyone for your input. I suppose I should say I am not so much a beginner when it comes to photography, I have had a camera in my hands for as long as I could remember. I am just new to using a larger DSLR. I want to know everything there is to know and then take it one step further. I have an incredible eye for things, just ask Dee.

I hope to be able to head out to some of the burn scares around here and shoot. Also, the wildlife around here is incredible! So let the shooting begin.

Everyone is welcome here...

- Unknown -
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroChrys_Butch View Post
IF anyone is interested, I can post a link to where they can find My photographs.
I'm interested! I'm an extremely visual person [as are all of you I'm sure!] and would like to see everyone's work and would wish everyone would include links in their posts to wherever their photography is online.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFemme View Post
I'm interested! I'm an extremely visual person [as are all of you I'm sure!] and would like to see everyone's work and would wish everyone would include links in their posts to wherever their photography is online.
[COLOR="Navy"][B]This is NOT My professional work... this is just for My own amusement and enjoyment. If you are not familiar with PhotoBucket ... there is the "main" library but over to the left there are folders or "sub" albums... I have things set up in those albums according to various topics... I had My professional work on PhotoBucket and thought better of it....

My Link:
http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/ChrysLens/library

Last edited by NitroChrys_Butch; 12-28-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Link failed the first time
NitroChrys_Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NitroChrys_Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFemme View Post
I love that this thread has been created. There are a few photography threads on the site but they don't seem to get much attention which is why you probably couldn't find them. Hopefully, this one will be different given it's an obsession of mine. It's the reason I logged in today! ヅ

I shoot film exclusively. I don't even own a digital camera [save for my iPhone and an old Nikon point & shoot that I haven't pointed at anything in ages]. It's just my preference. I need more pixels in my life like that proverbial fish on a bicycle ヅ however, I do appreciate the convenience and ease of digital photography. Having said that, the equipment I use are 35mm and medium format cameras. I shoot primarily with my Pentax ME Super & Minolta SRT 202, both professional SLR vintage cameras from the 1970s. I also collect vintage cameras and love shooting with my 50 year old Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. I have to admit to also loving my little plastic toy Holga just as much as my SLR's. It's just entirely too much fun to shoot. It's always like Christmas when I get those prints processed.

I do though want to say that I don't really think equipment makes a photographer good nor do structured classes. While both of those things can and do help and there are just some things you have to know and some items you have to have, but truly it's a passion that you feel within your very soul to be good at it in my opinion. It's like anything else in this life. Love it and it will love you. Photographers are a dime a dozen today and buying the newest most sophisticated gear is really madness because that gorgeous camera and all of that beautiful glass will be obsolete next month when something bigger and better is introduced into the marketplace and so in that, again in my opinion, it's a matter of finding what suits you and your tastes and learning everything you can about that particular piece. Like Charles Bukowski said, 'find what you love and let it kill you'.

Here is a link to my photoblog where you can see what I do with film.

http://faireunvoeu.wordpress.com/

P.s. I do very little post editing anymore - I did quite a bit in my early years but now I don't find the need or desire so much. I'd be lying if I said I didn't edit at all but I do keep it at a preferred minimum. I don't even know how to use Photoshop. ヅ
Your photographs are magnificent. Thank you for allowing Me to take a look.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

i bought a canon t4i about a year ago. i had been shooting with a nikon d50 as well as a canon rebel. i got the t4i because it has video capability, and that holds some interest for me, as an expansion on my skill set.

i like the canon better for portrait and performance work. the nikon is my choice for landscapes and outdoor shooting.

at present, i shoot primarily live performance stuff. bands and burlesque dancers, mostly. it's mostly low light and crappy lighting, at that. although, i have had the opportunity to shoot a couple of burlesque festivals where the lighting was wonderful. that made it easier.

the only advice i would offer to anyone is to shoot what you love. if your subject holds your interest, and delights you, you have a greater shot at pics you'll be satisfied with. experiment. try new things. shooting digital allows you so much leeway in experimentation...no film and processing costs. i've seen some really amazing effects done with photoshop, too. it all depends on what sort of images you look to create.

i do minimal editing on my images. mostly, i crop or adjust light levels. that's pretty much it.

you can see some of my burlesque work here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildu...16358705048277

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Default Where of where?

I am waiting for girl_dee to make an appearance... where of where can she be?

Thanks for stopping by Wil, glad you are getting better. I would love to hear what kind of books, websites, ect. you have used since you started shotting pictures.

- Unknown -
Old 12-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Thanks for stopping by Wil, glad you are getting better. I would love to hear what kind of books, websites, ect. you have used since you started shotting pictures.
healing seems to be a slow process. i suppose not being a spring chicken plays into that...

what i know about photography has been mostly self-taught, through experimentation. i do have a friend who has helped me a lot with the post processing, though. mostly things like how to touch up and even out colors and tones in the background. other than that, i just try stuff and see how that works out. not helpful, i know, but it's the way i learn and retain best.

i don't really have any "how to" books. mostly, i treat myself to what i call picture books and look at those. i have an affinity for early 20th century, eastern european photographers. i like them because they see in ways very similar to the way i see. i do pick up books that are on topics i enjoy...old signage, rt 66, things like that. i buy these books as treats for myself, rather than as instructional tools. most of my ideas/inspiration comes from conversations i have with people. random things start a thought process, and it turns visual at some point.

i will say, though, that i am fascinated with light and its interplay with objects and shadow. i'm a big fan of high contrast. then again, i have some photos i've done that look almost like impressionist paintings.

mostly, i shoot what catches my eye or captures my imagination. lots of help, huh?

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:

Tags
photography