Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 08-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

I don't really shop at Target anymore. Once in a blue moon I may pop in the store, but it's rare that I even make a purchase. Now I have more reason to avoid the place.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #42
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,5211901.story
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #43
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzeeTiger View Post
We went to K-Mart instead of T* for our sundries today. We're making the sacrifice.

Hello! We did, too, last weekend. It's not easy setting up a new household without Target, but I'm not giving them my $.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #44
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
Target to Take No Corrective Action Over Donation to Anti-Gay PAC

Target Corporation says it will not honor the Human Rights Campaign's request to "make it right" over its sizable donation to MN Forward, a conservative political PAC which has funded campaign ads for anti-gay gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. Emmer supports an amendment banning same-sex marriage in Minnesota, among other anti-equality measures including preventing gay and lesbian couples from using a surrogate mother.

HRC is responding by putting $150K toward pro-LGBT Minnesota candidates, the group says in a press release:

"After two weeks of good-faith discussions, and two tentative agreements, with Target Corporation, the company has informed the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization, that it will be take no corrective actions to repair the harm that it caused by contributing $150,000 to an organization supporting a vehemently anti-gay candidate closely associated with a Christian rock band that advocates death and violence to gay people.

In response, HRC announced that it will devote $150,000 of its own resources to help elect a pro-equality governor and legislature in Minnesota. The next governor will likely have the opportunity to either sign or veto marriage equality legislation in the North Star State.

Said HRC President Joe Solmonese: “All fair-minded Americans will now rightly question Target’s commitment to equality. If they’re initial contribution was a slap in the face, their refusal to make it right is a punch in the gut and that’s not something that we will soon forget. However, with full marriage equality hanging in the balance in Minnesota, regardless of Target, it’s important that we as a community send a message that we will work tirelessly to elect pro-equality candidates.”

HRC tells Towleroad it will be supporting Mark Dayton for governor as well as fund "pro-equality legislative candidates and pro-LGBT causes."
Okay Target, I haven't shopped at you since this whole thing started, but now you are OFFICIALLY fired. You did this to yourself. Live with it.

Kmart, you are my new friend. Please behave yourself better than Walmart and Target have.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #45
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

Today I saw a protest article on facebook. It advocated a 20 to 30 person group getting together and slowly filling their shopping carts with small insignificant merchandise.Then as they get about through checkout remember and then announce " I forgot, I don't shop at Target anymore." Would it really help? It would keep the stock clerks and cashiers in work.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #46
Sabine Gallais

How Do You Identify?:
Adeodatus

Sabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST Reputation

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but, if you follow your strict criteria of politics and business--you'll never shop anywhere. Good luck with that.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #47
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,623 Times in 3,977 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

Diva...I think if we just make up signs and post them in our yards, on our cars, on tshirts, that would be enough. I am going right now to post it on my family FB account...lol....thanks for the bodacious outburst laugh! PERFECT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I'm gonna open me up a BIG OL' STORE....right here in WEIRD OL' AUSTIN.......and name it.....

......wait for it....

......wait for it........

TARGAY.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #48
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,623 Times in 3,977 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

half a million people have viewed this. Its on my family FB account. My family is spreading it. I love young advocates! I am glad they are carrying on the torch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #49
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Gallais View Post
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but, if you follow your strict criteria of politics and business--you'll never shop anywhere. Good luck with that.

curious as to what you consider strict criteria of politics and business? i appreciate the good luck wishes, but have a sneaking suspicion that not everyone has the same criteria....
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #50
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Gallais View Post

Would you care to engage in a conversation about politics and business and their relationship in terms of boycotts? The pros and cons and results over the last 50-60 years?

Or are you just having fun doing cutesy drive-by posts?

Up to you, of course. I'm game.......

edited to add: you might be surprised at what I think...........
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #51
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

Toughy,
I know you can explain the whys if I'm looking at this wrong. I think that any big business, like Target will donate money to candidates who further their interests the best. The Republican party is the party that protects the interests of big business. So anywhere we shop that isn't handmade or homegrown will be giving a share of their profits to the Republican party. I don't think I've ever heard of big business to care about regular people except in a token way for their own advertising. Now that businesses can give as much as they like to the politicians of their choosing we are in trouble.
The farmer workers strikes really hurt pocket books and boycotts stayed in peoples minds that way. Now boycotts are forgotten so soon by all but a few, that the big companies will still make their profit.
So sincerely, give us hope if you know how boycotts can make a difference.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galahad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #52
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Toughy,
I know you can explain the whys if I'm looking at this wrong. I think that any big business, like Target will donate money to candidates who further their interests the best. The Republican party is the party that protects the interests of big business. So anywhere we shop that isn't handmade or homegrown will be giving a share of their profits to the Republican party. I don't think I've ever heard of big business to care about regular people except in a token way for their own advertising. Now that businesses can give as much as they like to the politicians of their choosing we are in trouble.
The farmer workers strikes really hurt pocket books and boycotts stayed in peoples minds that way. Now boycotts are forgotten so soon by all but a few, that the big companies will still make their profit.
So sincerely, give us hope if you know how boycotts can make a difference.
I don't think there is a right or wrong way to look at this.

I rarely shop at box stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Sports Authority, etc.. I live in a major urban area and there are other options for me to buy stuff.....such as locally owned business. In small town America (today) those options are almost gone....and what you get is Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is a thousand times worse than Target ever thought about being. They fuck their employees, drive out locally owned small business (the backbone of our economy), donate to any and every right wing cause you can think of and create a huge box store with a huge tree-less parking lot. And they have been doing it for years and years.

Boycotting a single huge corporation is only as useful as the publicity it can generate. Hopefully (though not likely over time) it will wake-up a few people and help them change shopping patterns from big business to small locally owned business. It also gives the individual a chance to feel good about themselves. However, switching from Target to K-Mart in the end only continues to support big business, whose goal is maximum profits generated on the backs of cheap labor and low quality products.

Delores Huerta, Cesar Chavez and Larry Itliong organized a once in a lifetime event with the farm workers strike. The reason it worked was coalition building among different groups of farm workers. Comparing that to a big business boycott is apples and oranges.

Yes Citizens United has completely changed the political money game. It will go down in history as one of the worst SCOTUS decisions. Congress could pass some campaign finance laws that would mitigate the impact, but the likelihood of that is about equal to pissing into the wind and staying dry.

Anyway.........that's my take on boycotts in general. I'm not sure I'm giving hope to anyone with it..........you and I have the same basic feelings I think
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #53
Sabine Gallais

How Do You Identify?:
Adeodatus

Sabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post

Would you care to engage in a conversation about politics and business and their relationship in terms of boycotts? The pros and cons and results over the last 50-60 years?

Or are you just having fun doing cutesy drive-by posts?

edited to add: you might be surprised at what I think...........
My "cutesy drive-by" post said all it needed to say. No need to insult. I don't need to launch into a 3 page diatribe on boycotts. I'm not surprised by what you think and I happen to also agree. I like to be succinct and to-the-point. Everyone probably knows what I meant and I didn't have to bore the living snot out of them with a history lesson. Your wallet has power but you must be very thoughtful of how you use it. Also, stay educated on how all these different companies function politically. OTOH, do the best you can and shop where you need to shop. These petty "drive by" boycotts are a waste.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #54
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I have boycotted products in the past for various reasons, but to me it's a different thing when a company who profits off my dollar turns around and gives that dollar to people who support my oppression - my not having the full rights of a citizen of the country I live in. It's not just an issue of right and wrong for me - although I do feel it's an issue of right and wrong. For me, spending money at these stores (or at any store that spends money or time taking away my voice and citizenship), just turns my stomach. I just can't do it. I loved target - I have lived an entire lifetime of loving target, but now I think of target as abusive and exploitative of the lgbtq community. Why would I pay somebody to take away a piece of my human dignity or my civil rights? My money is so hard-earned, giving it over to people who think so little of my worth as anything other than a specialized market is just too insurmountably vile for me to pretend otherwise.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #55
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

Even when i know that my few dollars wont begin to make a ping in the corporation's pocket, i still go by what feels right to me when i decided whether to shop somewhere, or not.

It's my money and i just don't feel good giving it to someone/thing that i have an issue with.

The thing that makes me so mad about Wal-Mart and other "big box stores" is they practically force one to shop there by cutting the prices so low. Local shops have absolutely no way to compete, and sometimes have to even raise their prices to try and make up for the lost business to places like Wal-Mart.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #56
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

In all of this, my thoughts are centered upon the recent Supreme Court decision that allows this kind of contribution method. This is only the begining...

I think it is hard for folks that live in areas that there are not many choices about where to buy. And the recession certainly sends people to the lowest prices. How could it not? I am not going to judge people that are having such a horrible economic time and have mouths to feed.

At this time in my life I am just not a big consumer and try to support local businesses. But, I live where I can do this. And big "ticket items" are just no longer on my list.

I just hope that people that recognize the political lunacy going on get out and vote and help get other people out to vote! And that we all put effort into being informed voters.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #57
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #58
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/vie...onations?me=nl
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #59
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

MSNBC rejects anti-Target ad:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAuJj7twMI"]YouTube- Boycott Target![/nomedia]
Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #60
FR

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
dead

FR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST Reputation
Default think again

you'll never get away from dirty money-scroll to see Kmart in link.

http://books.google.com/books?id=szX...page&q&f=false

also

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-walmart_x.htm

-and it can still be happening
FR is offline   Reply With Quote