Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 11-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #41
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
YES! When I go to the neurologist they shine strobe lights in my eyes to induce a seizure when I get an EEG (Electro Encephelogram). When Pokemon first came on the air it was giving kids all over Japan seizures...I wonder why the strobes cause this?
The condition appears to involve the primary visual cortex, which processes visual information. The cortexes of photosensitive are easily excited; flashing patterns overwhelm them, setting off a barrage of neuron firing that overwhelm the cortex.

>source<
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #42
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post

The condition appears to involve the primary visual cortex, which processes visual information. The cortexes of photosensitive are easily excited; flashing patterns overwhelm them, setting off a barrage of neuron firing that overwhelm the cortex.

>source<
That was super informative, nobody's ever told me that. Thanks Selenay!
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #43
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
*I apologize for my long, rambling "incoherent" (I've been told) writing style!

**Shorter posts to follow though, promise!
No need for shorter posts--I like it when people have a lot to say--but I am SO grateful that you chose to put this one in a darker font! Darlin, old eyes have a lot of trouble with some of the very light fonts, yanno? Especially silver! *wry smile*
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #44
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
That was super informative, nobody's ever told me that. Thanks Selenay!
Also, I don't know if you've read this but perhaps >this< will help, as well.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #45
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post

Also, I don't know if you've read this but perhaps >this< will help, as well.
That was even more succinct Sel....I hope everyone clicks.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #46
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

i'm waving

violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #47
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why ambassador "superfemme"!!!

I am SO happy that I just saw this in another thread - the BFP monthy report...

I was JUST getting ready to STEP back in here and "apologize" for the very strange intrusion into this thread - on "my username behalf".

Although, my space was shot here right then... I felt HORRIBLE that the rest of you shut down, and if anyone NEW here were possibly stopped in their tracks as well - at this time from any posting.

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!??? Continue on!!!!!?????

I will rejoin when I feel comfortable. K?

Love and hugs to all,
WILDCAT
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #48
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Wildcat, you didn't shut the thread down *puzzled look* I dunno why you would think that. Adele answered you in post #38 and I answered a couple posts later, and then the convo continued until we came to a natural stopping place.

Adele, congrats on being our Ambassador!

Yesterday I came SMACK up against my limits again. I walked to the bank and then from there to the grocery store... and by the time I got to the store I was sick as a dog from the pain. *sigh* I recovered kinda slowly (at one point I just had to lean on the grocery cart and wait to get my breath back), and was feeling much better by the time I got to the cash register--looked up and saw the sign advertising for a customer service clerk.

I actually considered it for a couple seconds.... and then I realized that if I couldn't even walk half a mile without getting sick from the pain, I could never work on my feet for even two hours, let alone eight.

This is what I hate about being disabled, that even when I feel relatively better, I must ALWAYS allow for the pain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #49
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Default Special date!

DECEMBER 3rd:

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

I hope EVERYONE has a beautiful day!!!!!!

Lots of love and peace to ALL!

WILDCAT

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #50
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Oh... this is my day then? Not sure how I feel about that, lol.... kinda grumpety and crankety, I think.

Oh wait... I felt like that already. Never mind, carry on.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #51
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
I am SO happy that I just saw this in another thread - the BFP monthy report...

I was JUST getting ready to STEP back in here and "apologize" for the very strange intrusion into this thread - on "my username behalf".

Although, my space was shot here right then... I felt HORRIBLE that the rest of you shut down, and if anyone NEW here were possibly stopped in their tracks as well - at this time from any posting.

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!??? Continue on!!!!!?????

I will rejoin when I feel comfortable. K?

Love and hugs to all,
WILDCAT

Darling Jude. You did not shut down this thread or lose your space.

We are here for you and love you just the way you are. Please come back immediately with one of your fabulous posts. Don't let your brain injury get the better of you, m'kay?

I got the flu and have not been able to post coherent thoughts. That is all.

xoxo
Old 12-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #52
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums
Default Inspiring

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbWcdN-W8o"]YouTube- Living and overcoming life with a disability[/ame]
Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #53
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

A window into my life

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgtHvBF4t-E"]YouTube- Living With Traumatic Brain Injury[/ame]
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #54
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Darling Jude. You did not shut down this thread or lose your space.

We are here for you and love you just the way you are. Please come back immediately with one of your fabulous posts. Don't let your brain injury get the better of you, m'kay?

I got the flu and have not been able to post coherent thoughts. That is all.

xoxo
Awee, sorry you were not feeling well.

No "darling Adele", I didn't shut anything down here. However, I wanted to be considerate, just in case and acknowledge that I know this space is vulnerable for some - as it is very much so for me.

Yes, my "space" was abruptly (not drastically)... "altered". (That sound more pleasing to you?) And now by some of my choice. This is WAY too much attention drawn to me - especially on a new site.

Feeling painfully "shy" right now. I know there are people though who will read this very sentence alone, and will really "see" it - in very special regards. That is something I love with the writing here in our community! Some wonderful hearts and souls.

*Smile

On topic:

Thanks for posting these helpful and informative video's, New Ambassie!

The brain and it's functions are truly amazing, fascinating... and recovering from brain injury is so uniquely different and strange, difficult - all experiences we understand with each other. That is nice.

I had one side of my brain shut right down for awhile and the other side really "opened" up. That was a very interesting time. (And a long time ago!) I was so left brain for so long, and then went so quickly into right brain! Now, I look back and see it as a wonderful journey that I was fortunate to experience.

I did re-injure (test?) myself winter before last here. My car was totalled. I went by that spot last week one night, and my gut twisted up a bit - and sure as heck... there was car head down in this deep culvert, right where I had ended up during a snow storm. Holy shit, did that set off some "stuff". Wooo-hoooo!! Amazing, our emotions, and psychological selves and all!!

(Using only slow emoticons for you! Tried not to use any, but my compulsive nature took over, sorry... )

Anyway, another area of discussion though, for sure. (Well, the right/left brain... more of a spiritual plane thing to me.)

I hope everyone had a great week, DAY and has a wonderful weekend.

I hope I play some music, on my drums or some instrument here! I've really been struggling and struggling with that for a long time now, (getting back to "creating").

Tonight, I don't feel too hot/great though. So, I will close now.

HUGS -

*Still some length here for you "fans"!
Wink...
The Following User Says Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #55
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums
Default Professional Victims

I am wondering how one can be one of these whilst being differenlty abled?

Whether by trauma, illness or chemical imbalance working through a day can be hard work. Some of have to process a lot and use compensation strategies for the things we CANNOT do.

It really chaps my hide when somebody comes along and declares someone who is D/A a victim. Usually it is somebody who wasn't able to victimize a D/A person lashing out.

Has anyone had this experience? Have you felt like you never live up to what others say you should?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #56
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Can Sel puh-lease stop stealing my high scores. It makes me want to spank her with my good arm.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #57
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I am wondering how one can be one of these whilst being differenlty abled?

Whether by trauma, illness or chemical imbalance working through a day can be hard work. Some of have to process a lot and use compensation strategies for the things we CANNOT do.

It really chaps my hide when somebody comes along and declares someone who is D/A a victim. Usually it is somebody who wasn't able to victimize a D/A person lashing out.

Has anyone had this experience? Have you felt like you never live up to what others say you should?
HEY, SuperMama!!!!! There ya are! Hi. Hope your holidays are in gear.

So, I was "in one of my head episodes" well, for... it's been around two weeks now. Off and on, but I had bumped my head somewhere here at the cabin. I remember that, but not where... And now the "period cycle" is coming/kicking in - many of us have flare-ups with our problems during this chemistry change in our bodies. I know you know this. Smile

BUT, I was messed up and confused. Sugar. I had to run out and take care of some business and I just told everyone, "I am confused right now in case it seems like I am struggling". Problem solving was NUTS for me. It was kind of animated too though! Smile... But, everything was so damn "complex", and seemingly out of nowhere!!

But, to your last set of questions here: I'm not sure, I don't "think so". You process so well, I know it is not without great effort at times though. But, my fear IS that I will be judged, yes. (That I was "headed for greatness and such a sad thing this happened", yaddy-yadda...) I feel like other special things kicked in for this "experience" having happened. But, it did stop "in my tracks" - and change direction most definitely from where I was at. (Bereavement at it's finest hour. Wink.)

I took my 80 year old father to PT this summer and noticed right away that his therapist was challenged. He did not notice, nor did my mother who is super observant. She had a stroke I think (or perhaps a BD), and I could see her processing things - both verbally and movement wise. I felt very proud of her, actually... amazing I thought she was! She is a young mother who lives now in my old hometown - where my parents live (out in the woods a bit, really... a kindred spirit).
__

Did you see that another thread was started on PTSD? I could really relate with that from back in the day - well, and these past two weeks or so TOO! I'm feeling like I need to keep my responses to just one thread primarily though. AS, someone notes there (and I think I already did earlier HERE), "this is such vulnerable" stuff for [some of] us.

So, it's the holidays. The best way to deal with those, for me - was/is to just "not deal" some years. That is WAY easier! (No crowds if you're not shopping... )

OK! Long enough for now. Welcome back SuperFemme!!!

Hugs to ya!

WILDCAT

*ETA: Is "challenged" OK to say? I mean no offense... (At one time that was the PC term.) I totally get "differently-abled". I just say whatever and want to know. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #58
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
Can Sel puh-lease stop stealing my high scores. It makes me want to spank her with my good arm.

I'm sorry Miss Super. I have taken a voluntary break from the arcade for the past week. I promise to keep it up and not win anything new until New Years. That should give you a whole week in which you can be The Best.

I hope this pleases you

If it doesn't you can spank me, cuz I'm game for that.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #59
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Question

I just saw this thread today. I had no idea it was here. I had started another one long ago...what do I do?

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #60
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Differently Abled and bridging the communication gap....

I know that there are several of us who are oft misread in this format. For *Me* having a Brain Injury can lead to impulsive responses coupled with tangential thinking. What I mean by that is I can go into a thread about Tomatoes, which makes me think of salads or Italian Food, which may or may not remind me of my bad date with a cannoli. I tend to take readers on a round about journey with me that can lead to head scratching and offended posters who think I am not being serious.

When I am reacted to with anger or animosity I tend to want to lash out on the same level. Sitting on my hands is an art form.

So how can we we bridge this gap? I think work on both sides must happen. It's one thing to say "Hey, I am differently-abled" and an entirely different thing to say "Because of my different-abledness, I am often impulsive and tangential. If doing so has upset you and confused you please pm me so we can talk about it".

I wish we had a little icon like a handi-cap placard we could place in our profile that is visible so that other posters have some kind of indication.

Thoughts anyone? How do we as Differently-abled going to be proactive?