Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 10-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation
Default OCCUPY WALL STREET

I looked and I didn't see a thread on this particular subject, so I decided to start one here. I want to have a place to specifically discuss the Occupy Wall Street movement, rallys, and how it is spreading across the nation.

Here is their newly voted on platform/declaration:

Quote:
Official Statement from Occupy Wall Street - this statement was voted on and approved by the general assembly of protesters at Liberty Square: Declaration of the Occupation of New York City

As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.

They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices.

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.

They have sold our privacy as a commodity.

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.

They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.

They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.

They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.

They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.

They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*

To the people of the world,

We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard!
I think this movement is tremendously important and it's existence is an inevitable outcome of decades of economic injustices perpetrated by the government, banks and corporations in the US and around the world.

What do you all think about the Occupy Wall Street movement and it's message?
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

I am thrilled that this is happening!
I don't know a lot about what/how is happening, so I am going to support these actions until I have a compelling reason not to (and first-hand account from someone I trust).
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiczombie View Post
I looked and I didn't see a thread on this particular subject, so I decided to start one here...What do you all think about the Occupy Wall Street movement and it's message?
I posted this in another thread this weekend. I've watched it a couple times now, and I find it mesmerizing as I do the movement, as I have the movie V for Vendetta and the books 1984, Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies, among others. I think it's more than high time we took on the 'bloom' of greed. "Maybe freedom's just another word for no one left to screw."

Indeed.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

much better than the rioting that was the reaction here.

I'm rally glad people are shouting and calling attention. I hate the media barely covers it. I've seen nothing about it except on FB and it's a massive movement.

Thanks for posting!!
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

I also was thrilled when I saw this happening over the week end. I was tempted to drive to New York and get involved. THIS is ssomething I feel very strongly about.

My wishing upon a star has been answered. There is a TOWN meeting scheduled for Saturday to inform willing participants of the mission and what to expect. I also checked, a permit has been applied for, and recieved, for a peaceful demonstration on the 15th, in the center of the business district. I WILL BE THERE!
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Demonstrations are starting to crop up all over! Unions are getting involved. YES WE CAN!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

There's hope in the air. Finally. People are beginning to stand up together. Together is strength.

Here is an article about the American Dream Movement and Van Jones and his take on the Occupy Wall Street protests.

http://www.alternet.org/vision/15261...n_epic_battle/

If you are in NYC this might be something you don't want to miss.

OccupyWallStreet Union March From Foley Square on Wall Street

Posted Oct. 4, 2011, 8:36 p.m. EST by OccupyWallSt

On October 05, 2011, at 3:00 in the afternoon the residents of Liberty Square will gather to join their union brothers and sisters in solidarity and march. At 4:30 in the afternoon the 99% will march in solidarity with #occupywallstreet from Foley Square to the Financial District, where their pensions have disappeared to, where their health has disappeared to. Together we will protest this great injustice. We stand in solidarity with the honest workers of:

AFL-CIO (AFSCME)
United NY
Strong Economy for All Coalition
Working Families Party
TWU Local 100
SEIU 1199
CWA 1109
RWDSU
Communications Workers of America
CWA Local 1180
United Auto Workers
United Federation of Teachers
Professional Staff Congress - CUNY
National Nurses United
Writers Guild East

And:

VOCAL-NY
Community Voices Heard
Alliance for Quality Education
New York Communities for Change
Coalition for the Homeless
Neighborhood Economic Development Advocacy Project (NEDAP)
The Job Party
NYC Coalition for Educational Justice
The Mirabal Sisters Cultural and Community Center
The New Deal for New York Campaign
National People's Action
ALIGN
Human Services Council
Labor-Religion Coalition of New York State
Citizen Action of NY
MoveOn.org
Common Cause NY
New Bottom Line
350.org
Tenants & Neighbors
Democracy for NYC
Resource Generation
Tenants PAC
Teachers Unite

Together we will voice our belief that the American dream will live again, that the American way is to help one another succeed. Our voice, our values, will be heard.

Here is a list of past present and future #occupy cities.

OccupyTogether.org probably has a more updated list but the site seems to be down. At least I can't log on at the moment. So I took this list from a blog:

[http://october2011.org/blogs/kevin-z...ccupy-together

An article that some might find interesting.
http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/...o-the-streets/
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

It has organized here! We/we will be marching Saturday!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #9
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Default BANK TRANSFER DAY Saturday, November 5 · 9:00am - 5:00pm

Laziness maybe, I don't know why I haven't done this sooner!!!My personal accounts will be taken care of asap but my business account will take a couple of weeks to organize.

More Info: • Open an account with a Credit Union before 11/05
• Wire transfer your funds to the new account online on 11/05
• Follow your bank's procedures to close your account

To find a credit union near you:

http://www.ncua.gov/dataservices/findcu.aspx

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=281139538577206
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
It has organized here! We/we will be marching Saturday!

WAY TO GO!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #11
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

[QUOTE=weatherboi;431625]Laziness maybe, I don't know why I haven't done this sooner!!!My personal accounts will be taken care of asap but my business account will take a couple of weeks to organize.

I closed all my accounts with my bank jan. 2010 after 30 years with them. And you know, they never even asked me why.

I joined a credit union and they sent me a $2.00 bill and welcomed me to a different way to handle your money. Which prompted me to write a nasty gram to the banking institution I was with for 30 years for never asking WHY I left.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the credit union and the SHARED services.

Last edited by Dominique; 10-05-2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: color
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I fully support any show of opposition to bankers (globally) who, for their own benefit, continue to bring misfortune to the average person (globally). I think it's great this is starting to get more press, the more press the better. Maybe people will start thinking instead of following the status quo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotHer View Post
I posted this in another thread this weekend. I've watched it a couple times now, and I find it mesmerizing as I do the movement, as I have the movie V for Vendetta and the books 1984, Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies, among others. I think it's more than high time we took on the 'bloom' of greed. "Maybe freedom's just another word for no one left to screw."

Indeed.

Not surprised that Anon are still in this. But I was disappointed with the lack of "We are Anonymous. We are Legion." ending.

o/ Anon
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #13
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Here in Chicago "the greedy pig crisis" is also picking up steam. There were only 100-200 people, but there were more positive reactions coming from evryday folks just passing through like bus and cab drivers, honking, and cheering. My favorite were the sanitation crew who were drumming and dancing on the back of their garbage trucks lol! "Truth may have a wretched existence, but lives longer than a lie."-Anon
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

[quote=Yellow band;431652]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
Laziness maybe, I don't know why I haven't done this sooner!!!My personal accounts will be taken care of asap but my business account will take a couple of weeks to organize.

I closed all my accounts with my bank jan. 2010 after 30 years with them. And you know, they never even asked me why.

I joined a credit union and they sent me a $2.00 bill and welcomed me to a different way to handle your money. Which prompted me to write a nasty gram to the banking institution I was with for 30 years for never asking WHY I left.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the credit union and the SHARED services.
Thank you for this reminder YB! I am going to do the same thing today. I forget sometimes how powerful my voice is and that we the people do have a say!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

This guy is awesome. This was an interview meant to make fun of the protestors but he schooled the dude.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
This guy is awesome.

I heart that man!! Thanks, Ebon!!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotHer View Post

Indeed.

fight club is another one. Although they get a little destructive and blowup all the financial institutions. Woops.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:

SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

When I went to bed, there were a couple comments in this thread.
By morning, it had multiplied and spread. I'm so charged that this is happening and people are beginning to question the concentration and abuse of power.

Fight Club is another one that offers some response to dehumanizing corporatization. The metaphors and allegories are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
fight club is another one. Although they get a little destructive and blowup all the financial institutions. Woops.
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:

"..where once you had the freedom to object...you now have systems of surveillance....if you're looking for the guilty, you only need look into the mirror."

Here is the petition asking Mayor Bloomber and the NYC police to allow protesters to peaceably assemble without fear of brutality and arrest:

https://act.credoaction.com/campaign/ows_2/

SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybarbara View Post
I hate the media barely covers it. I've seen nothing about it except on FB and it's a massive movement.
Perhaps they shouldn't bother. Here is an article about CNN's show OutFront's coverage by Erin Burnett. Check out some of the clickable links in the article. The second link shows a clip of her interviewing some guy at Occupy Wall St. Another is an article by economist Dean Baker speaking to this new line of crap we are being fed about how the bailouts were actually good for us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post: