Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation
Default Happy Indigenous Peoples Day!

Ok so this is my attempt at sticking it to the US governments lame day for the man who wiped out entire societies all in the name of his king and queen.
Do you celebrate or mourn for these people?
Your thought on this auspicious day.

Please as always be respectful to your neighbor.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Mr. Moon

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he, she, it, hey you
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,160 Times in 229 Posts
Mr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST ReputationMr. Moon Has the BEST Reputation

I mourn for those killed, raped, ravaged and a multitude of other things. I think what still goes on in regards to this is the most horrible.

U.S.A. sure likes to think they are saviors of the oppressed. but forget that they are doing just that.

This thread could get quite radical...are we in the red zone?? LOL

But seriously, I find it awful.

-Mr. Moon
Mr. Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Moon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

It's just like the USA to glorify a murderer and try to candy coat the bullshit that they did. They might as well have Hitler day as far as I'm concerned. I went to an event that some Native people threw in Boston when I lived there. It was called "Who was this Columbus guy anyway." I don't understand how people don't stop and think about all of the horrible things that he was responsible for.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I changed all our work calendars to say Fall Bank Holiday.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

I do not celebrate today's federal holiday.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moon View Post
I mourn for those killed, raped, ravaged and a multitude of other things. I think what still goes on in regards to this is the most horrible.

U.S.A. sure likes to think they are saviors of the oppressed. but forget that they are doing just that.

This thread could get quite radical...are we in the red zone?? LOL

But seriously, I find it awful.

-Mr. Moon
No not in the red zone, I figured if people can't be respectful to each other here, then there really isn't any hope for the future.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
It's just like the USA to glorify a murderer and try to candy coat the bullshit that they did. They might as well have Hitler day as far as I'm concerned. I went to an event that some Native people threw in Boston when I lived there. It was called "Who was this Columbus guy anyway." I don't understand how people don't stop and think about all of the horrible things that he was responsible for.
I know, but this is something that has to happen, people need to hear it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

I do not celebrate this day as a holiday - where the fuck did Columbus get off murdering the people who belonged here.

I celebrate the indigenous people of this land.....

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abigail Crabby For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Shouldn't we add Andrew Jackson to the hit list?
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Shouldn't we add Andrew Jackson to the hit list?
I get what you're saying but I think the point was that columbus has a holiday after him on a federal level. It's just a big kick in the face to all of the true owners of this land.

I'm a Soul Rebel

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
I get what you're saying but I think the point was that columbus has a holiday after him on a federal level. It's just a big kick in the face to all of the true owners of this land.
Jackson has a $20.00 bill with his face on it that we have to look at every time one is handed to us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Jackson has a $20.00 bill with his face on it that we have to look at every time one is handed to us.
good point. Lol

I'm a Soul Rebel

Old 10-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Well, and it's not Andrew Jackson day...even in Nashville where he is quite loved.

I really think so many people in the US believe what they were taught in school, and have no idea that Columbus did not share Thanksgiving on the Pinta with Pocahantas. No clue. Even what they were taught in US History or Social Studies, they remember nothing and really don't care.

However,

In so many cases when people learn what actually happened, so many of them are horrified and get why it should not be a Federal Holiday.

We did not celebrate Calumbus day in Argentina. We celebrated Dia de la Raza which was a celebration of diversity.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

This isn't about Jackson, yes he did some crappy stuff, the man raped and pillaged and was well thought of, until he wasn't. The government didn't give him his own day for genocide unlike the killer from Spain. Our government to this day will not recognize that it is propagating lies about how this country was "found". It was "found" roughly 30-40 thousand years ago, but the white man didn't know of it so you know history wasn't history because europeans were clueless.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Except for those people who just will not dare open their minds.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #16
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
I do not celebrate today's federal holiday.
Me either- can't do it and I think it is impotant to ask kids in our families what they are taught about Columbus in school. Then re-educate them. Also, contact their school district. If there has to be some kind of "hero" designated about the "discovery" (which it already had been by natives) of the Americas, we need to have a red person designated. I know, I know, it's all about the European "discovery." The whole concept of discovery needs to thrown out.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Friday at 10PM "Children of the Planes" on ABC. I hope you all will watch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #18
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

The worst aspect of the Invasion of North America is the present day discrimination. Where I live the First nations people are generally Cree and Blackfoot. We do have some Inuit in my area of the province, but not many. I would like to see some moving forward of our thoughts and acceptance of our First Nations. I encourage understanding where I can and acceptance wherever I go.

Columbus came, went and died. The horrible legacy of invasion still haunts us. Soul loss of nations of diverse and beautiful people is still present. Depression and economically depressed reservations still exist. Horrible addictions and generational issues still exist. Healing is needed. Medicine Women and Men need to be supported to provide for their people.

It is the present day conditions that I am most horrified by.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
The worst aspect of the Invasion of North America is the present day discrimination. Where I live the First nations people are generally Cree and Blackfoot. We do have some Inuit in my area of the province, but not many. I would like to see some moving forward of our thoughts and acceptance of our First Nations. I encourage understanding where I can and acceptance wherever I go.

Columbus came, went and died. The horrible legacy of invasion still haunts us. Soul loss of nations of diverse and beautiful people is still present. Depression and economically depressed reservations still exist. Horrible addictions and generational issues still exist. Healing is needed. Medicine Women and Men need to be supported to provide for their people.

It is the present day conditions that I am most horrified by.
There are several charitable organizations that are helping The People, in this present economy their need is even greater.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation
Default A day late...

UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post: