Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
This isn't about Jackson, yes he did some crappy stuff, the man raped and pillaged and was well thought of, until he wasn't. The government didn't give him his own day for genocide unlike the killer from Spain. Our government to this day will not recognize that it is propagating lies about how this country was "found". It was "found" roughly 30-40 thousand years ago, but the white man didn't know of it so you know history wasn't history because europeans were clueless.
No they didn't give him a day they put him on our currency for all to see. I really do not see the difference over all, both are being celebrated which is not cool with me.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #22
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
No they didn't give him a day they put him on our currency for all to see. I really do not see the difference over all, both are being celebrated which is not cool with me.
Using currency isn't the same as celebrating. Good grief, one is a must no matter the other is a friggen choice.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Using currency isn't the same as celebrating. Good grief, one is a must no matter the other is a friggen choice.
What is a must? My bank was open on Columbus Day, our schools were open on Columbus day. I still can't get a $20.00 bill without Jackson's face on it. I didn't celebrate and I make a choice not to carry $20.00 bills.

If you are this upset about Columbus Day being a recognized federal holiday start a petition, I'll be glad to sign it.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #24
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
What is a must? My bank was open on Columbus Day, our schools were open on Columbus day. I still can't get a $20.00 bill without Jackson's face on it. I didn't celebrate and I make a choice not to carry $20.00 bills.

If you are this upset about Columbus Day being a recognized federal holiday start a petition, I'll be glad to sign it.
If you want to talk about Jackson, start a thread about it and please stop hijacking this one.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
Old 10-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
If you want to talk about Jackson, start a thread about it and please stop hijacking this one.
Not a problem Corkey!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #26
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Again this thread is to celebrate Indigenous People. Thoughts on this subject are more than welcome.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #27
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Here you go!

http://newsfornatives.com/blog/national-native-holiday/
Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #28
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

First, where did this come from, and secondly it contains racial speech that is at best derogatory and at worst racist.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #29
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Letter to my Senator,

Dear Senator Inhofe,

I am writing to ask why we celebrate "Columbus Day" as a Federal Holiday?

There is overwhelming information that provides us a history of violence against the "Native Americans".

I ask you as my representative to please look into this and let me know why my tax dollars are used to provide you and all other Federal employees a payed day off.

Thank You,
Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #30
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
First, where did this come from, and secondly it contains racial speech that is at best derogatory and at worst racist.
I give up!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #31
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

The letter to your senator, wonderful great, did you read the link you posted? The uplifting of one portion of society at the expense of another is not what this is about. It is about recognizing that an atrocity has happened, and that the federal government yearly places the killer from Spain as someone to be admired. He was a criminal, one who perpetrated genocide, not just on Native populations in the western continent but to the Native populations of the Caribbean Islands.

Last edited by Corkey; 10-12-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #32
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

It's very apparent that you don't like me or what I bring to this conversation. So I am going to stop away. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #33
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

It does not seem like its personal Okie.

The link you posted while asking for the holiday to be changed, does use a lot of racist language. If you would like examples PM me and I can send you some later.

There was a time in my life when I was not aware that many of the terms in that article are racist. Maybe read some of the racism threads on this website and watch some Tim Wise on YouTube and start learning what is acceptable.

It is a learning process.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #34
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation
Default A People's History by Howard Zinn

One passage from Zinn's great work available online at

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinncol1.html

"In the villages of the Iroquois, land was owned in common and worked in common. Hunting was done together, and the catch was divided among the members of the village. Houses were considered common property and were shared by several families. The concept of private ownership of land and homes was foreign to the Iroquois. A French Jesuit priest who encountered them in the 1650s wrote: 'No poorhouses are needed among them, because they are neither mendicants nor paupers.. . . Their kindness, humanity and courtesy not only makes them liberal with what they have, but causes them to possess hardly anything except in common.

Women were important and respected in Iroquois society. Families were matrilineal. That is, the family line went down through the female members, whose husbands joined the family, while sons who married then joined their wives' families. Each extended family lived in a 'long house.' When a woman wanted a divorce, she set her husband's things outside the door."
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #35
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

An excellent resource for people to read about the life of The People before the killer from Spain is a book called "1491" subtitled The revelations of the Americas before Columbus.

It is an archeological and sociological treatise on the populations of the Americas.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #36
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotHer View Post
One passage from Zinn's great work available online at

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinncol1.html

"In the villages of the Iroquois, land was owned in common and worked in common. Hunting was done together, and the catch was divided among the members of the village. Houses were considered common property and were shared by several families. The concept of private ownership of land and homes was foreign to the Iroquois. A French Jesuit priest who encountered them in the 1650s wrote: 'No poorhouses are needed among them, because they are neither mendicants nor paupers.. . . Their kindness, humanity and courtesy not only makes them liberal with what they have, but causes them to possess hardly anything except in common.

Women were important and respected in Iroquois society. Families were matrilineal. That is, the family line went down through the female members, whose husbands joined the family, while sons who married then joined their wives' families. Each extended family lived in a 'long house.' When a woman wanted a divorce, she set her husband's things outside the door."
I know women that sets (throws) her husbands things outside the door now but they don't get to have a divorce. Thanks for the info!

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #37
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
An excellent resource for people to read about the life of The People before the killer from Spain is a book called "1491" subtitled The revelations of the Americas before Columbus.

It is an archeological and sociological treatise on the populations of the Americas.
This is wonderful! I can't wait to read it.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #38
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
This is wonderful! I can't wait to read it.
Charles C Mann is the author.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #39
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
I know women that sets (throws) her husbands things outside the door now but they don't get to have a divorce. Thanks for the info!
You know what I've been going through this this year, and you know I am laughing out loud now :-) Yes, the Iroquis understood that a physical gesture was called for in certain times. Hard to mistake the message of all your stuff sitting outside the door!
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #40
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotHer View Post
You know what I've been going through this this year, and you know I am laughing out loud now :-) Yes, the Iroquis understood that a physical gesture was called for in certain times. Hard to mistake the message of all your stuff sitting outside the door!
Nothing says I'm done more than a bear picking through your stuff LOL