Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #61
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I only saw a half an hour, mostly the sixties and seventies stuff. I agree that the commentators needed to shut up.

But even without that, it was dull, dull, dull.

I think using TV/Film clips is cheating. There was too much close up stuff. The trick of this as theatre is to make it big and original. The parts I saw were neither.

The complicated projections on the audience part of the stadium were impressive. But that was technology. On the ground, it was like dinner theatre with glow in the dark stickies.

I am too tired to continue. Beckham driving that boat was hot. Hell, the boat alone was hot.
NBC diced and sliced A LOT of the ceremony opting to keep more of the cinematic close ups rather than the large stadium staging. It was a poor choice for many reasons - the production became more disjointed, and it really didn't do justice to the set design and choreography.

But then they think American audiences are dull, easily bored and require constant play-by-play explanations, that they won't sit still and take it in if they don't "get it" immediately.

They think we're an ADD small bite, small screen viewing audience and not capable of grasping and appreciating conceptual art or theatre production values.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #62
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Someone on the internet snarked that under the Queen's dour expression, there should be a caption reading, "Let the Hunger Games begin!"

Someone posted her pic on facebook with the caption, "Look at all of the countries I used to own."

Edited: oops, I see someone posted it on this thread too!

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley

Last edited by QueenofSmirks; 07-28-2012 at 10:45 AM.
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #63
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Women's Basketball

The Croatia team (last ranked) are really playing a good game against the first ranked USA team. It's the fourth quarter, and I'm pretty sure USA will win, but the close score at times kept my interest up.

Croatia got there by knocking out the Canadians!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #64
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

I wish there hadn't been the long commercial breaks during the Parade of Nations. I missed seeing some of the countries.

Loved the colorful attire of many of the nations. Not so happy with the US dress. And what is with the US wearing hats anyway?

I love the pomp and I love the competitions but mostly I watch to learn about the competitors and the countries they come from. Give me info!

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #65
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales...Still

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/27/op...pagewanted=all

http://debatewise.org/debates/346-un...land-yes-or-no

http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/feb/...k&type=article

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #66
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gawker:

Why The Women of North Korea Are The Most Interesting Olympians
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #67
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Colombian cyclist gets the silver and makes history!

Story in Spanish here.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #68
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
The 2012 Summer Olympics are the first Olympic Games in which every participant nation has had at least one female athlete.

*wiki
Spoilt (for me) by the fact that during the Opening Ceremony the Germans put their male athletes in blue and their female ones in pink.

Really?
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #69
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
Spoilt (for me) by the fact that during the Opening Ceremony the Germans put their male athletes in blue and their female ones in pink.

Really?
I know....I was sitting here shaking my head.

I totally get (and like to see) native dress from a nation. If there isn't one that makes sense, then what's wrong with nice khaki slacks and a zip up sweatshirt like the Canadians wore?

These are athletes....not executives or models. What the heck is wrong with them looking like athletes???

Our berets looked ridiculous.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #70
Daktari

Not quite.. The Queen is just a figurative 'leader', a constitutional monarch; she has no political power. The Queen doesn't 'own' the countries of our fair isles, she owns some of the acreage therein but so do many other folks too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #71
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Romney in London: Never Mind The Olympics, Here’s the Embarrassment

The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #72
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation
Default lesbian kiss!

Shock horror. Actually I haven't watched any of it. YOutube, here I come. Meanwhile, this popped up on my fb:

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/l...ise-fury280712

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #73
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

A government enquiry is underway due to considerable numbers of empty seats at some of yesterday's events, despite these events being fully sold-out and many people very disappointed that they were unable to secure tickets.

No doubt it's, at least in part, a consequence of the ticketing ballot system that has attracted controversy throughout with many people encouraged to apply for multiple tickets across all events and all days in the hope of getting some tickets but with these being on the "luck of the draw".

Not a great start for the UK team so far - in particular, we had hoped for Gold in the 250km cycling but ended up in 29th position. In addition, Andy Murray and his brother were knocked out in the first round of the Men's Tennis Double's tournament.

Hopeful of some medals for the UK today ....
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #74
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

The British Gymnastics team seems to be doing well. That Louis Smith is something special.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #75
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Regarding the opening ceremony, obviously, Americans aren't going to get all the humor and references, unless they watch the BBC or are very familiar with British culture. When the orchestra started "Chariots of Fire", I was all ready for one of my favorite songs, and my favorite part of an otherwise long movie, but thought the comedian ruined it . I understand it was deliberate, and the conductor was in on it, but I didn't like him. Maybe an acquired taste?

The baby thing was a little strange as well. And the winged people on bicycles, so help me, reminded me of the monkey soldiers on Oz.

But the parade of nations, and everything forward from that except the bicyclists, was amazing. I loved the cauldron. And hey, it's the Olympics; it's allowed to be over the top and all kinds of effects.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #76
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I actually really enjoyed the opening ceremonies (although the giant baby was a little creepy instead of cute to me). It was very British....which is only right. I love to see the host company use that as a chance to celebrate themselves a bit and share who they are and where they come from with the rest of the world.

Of course, I've always loved British humor, and was delighted with all the references to children's literature.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #77
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
A government enquiry is underway due to considerable numbers of empty seats at some of yesterday's events, despite these events being fully sold-out and many people very disappointed that they were unable to secure tickets.

No doubt it's, at least in part, a consequence of the ticketing ballot system that has attracted controversy throughout with many people encouraged to apply for multiple tickets across all events and all days in the hope of getting some tickets but with these being on the "luck of the draw".

Not a great start for the UK team so far - in particular, we had hoped for Gold in the 250km cycling but ended up in 29th position. In addition, Andy Murray and his brother were knocked out in the first round of the Men's Tennis Double's tournament.

Hopeful of some medals for the UK today ....

Ooh, thank you for posting this! I noticed this morning when watching some of the stuff I recorded last night that there seemed to be a ton of empty seats at several of the events. It made me wonder what had happened because I thought that people would be clamoring to get a seat.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #78
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I LOVED the copper-tubed "Eye of Sauron" thing they did with the torches!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #79
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Ooh, thank you for posting this! I noticed this morning when watching some of the stuff I recorded last night that there seemed to be a ton of empty seats at several of the events. It made me wonder what had happened because I thought that people would be clamoring to get a seat.
Actual demand for tickets has been very significant with all initial tickets fully allocated in a ballot and almost all further tickets selling out within seconds / minutes of being released on public sale.

It turns out that the vast swathes of empty seats are those in sections that were not available for sale but, rather, are allocated to Olympic dignataries, officials, other athletes and corporate sponsors. Each event has to allocate a minimum of 25% of available tickets for this purpose with the "blue ribbon" events having to allocate 50% of tickets for this (i.e. such events as the Opening Ceremony, Closing Ceremony and men's 100m final).

Apparently, the morning after the Opening Ceremony (which goes on into the wee small hours in after-parties attended by the various delegations and officials), those who get these free tickets are often not in attendance as they are still in bed. Rather sad given the really strong demand for tickets from the public - especially for events such as swimming and gymnastics where the stadia has limited capacity.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #80
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Not only was Louis Smith a joy to watch on the pommel horse, I loved the gratitude on his face when he did well. I was already struck by that, and then he cried. Loved it. I love it when there is gratitude in their reactions. Gymnastics is hard. So many ways to fuck up, so I am sure there is more of that than in other sports where if you have worked your ass off and are an amazing athlete, the odds are with you. Gymnastics, skating, golf, any number of sports, it's all about the day as well as your gifts and preparation.

Anyway, I loved his reaction.

Later, when I saw Sun Yang shout and posture after he won the 400 meter freestyle, I appreciated Smith's reaction even more. Nothing against Sun Yang. It's a common reaction to explode with adrenaline after a win. But it's just so warrier-like (as sports is). It was just lovely to see Louis Smith's GRATITUDE for a good performance.

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: