Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Question The ButchFemmePlanet Kitchen

Many of us love to cook. It is not an activity relegated to one side or the other of our "kind."

This thread is where you can share recipes, ask cooking questions and more. Need to know how to crack an egg? Boil water? Prepare the perfect souffle`?

Gourmets and beginners alike can gather here to bond over food.

So come join me in the kitchen. What are you cooking today? What questions do you have? All are welcome so pull a stool up to the pass-through and let's chat.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
WIB - woman identified butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your choice...not really a button for me
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Thanked 6,840 Times in 1,621 Posts
Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

yay...I'm here and I have my pen and paper ready....to write down all the ideas (even I know cooking is done with food and shouldn't have pen and paper as ingredients)
Mel C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
WIB - woman identified butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your choice...not really a button for me
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Thanked 6,840 Times in 1,621 Posts
Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

Oh yeah, I have a terrible time trying to get my iron level up. I have tried a variety of supplements, but they don't seem to be helping. If anyone has ideas for iron-rich foods that could become a regular meal, please share. Meg keeps threatening to make liver (which is ok, but I'm interested in a recipe that doesn't taste like dirty blood)
Mel C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

Ummmm i love to eat, im not a very good chef but i am an adventurous eater, so im stopping by to say im def gonna stalk this thread lol
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pasta with White Sauce

Qrt. of heavy whipping cream
1 can of artichokes
1 bag of sundried tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
Hand full of freshly grated parmesan
Olive Oil

In a large skillet:

Saute chopped garlic in olive oil until soft but not browned
Add heavy whipping cream with Parmesan, stirring constantly until thick
Add 1 can of non-marinated artichokes quartered.
Add pre-soaked sundried tomatoes

Simmer on low about 15 minutes.
Use kosher salt and pepper to taste

Serve on multi-grain Penne (recommended)
or your favorite pasta.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Martha's Popovers

This is an easy, schmeezy recipe. But one DOES need a popover tin in which to bake these. The recipe makes 6.

Preheat oven to 425.

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 scant tsp. salt
3 lg. eggs

Generously butter a 6-cup popover tin, set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir flour, milk & salt. Add eggs, 1 at a time, & stir to combine. Small lumps may remain. Do not overmix.

Using a 1/2 cup measure, gently pour batter into center of each prepared popover cup.

Bake for 20 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake about 20 more minutes.
Immediately invert pan to remove and serve hot.

Enjoy!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Lady Jewel

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Lady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST Reputation
Default For Mel

Leafy green vegetables are a great source of iron. I.E. Spinach and any dark leaf lettuce.

Hope this helps,
Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel (aka BlistexLez) View Post
Oh yeah, I have a terrible time trying to get my iron level up. I have tried a variety of supplements, but they don't seem to be helping. If anyone has ideas for iron-rich foods that could become a regular meal, please share. Meg keeps threatening to make liver (which is ok, but I'm interested in a recipe that doesn't taste like dirty blood)
Lady Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,769 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default I love food!

Today, I had a doctor's appointment and there is a deli in the same building. I popped in and talked up the counter guy. They make their food from scratch every day, including salads and soups. They even have a specialty sandwich called a 'damn' sandwich. Basically, the guy writes 'damn' on the order and, whichever chef gets the ticket, makes whatever DAMN sandwich s/he wants. I love the concept, allergies aside.

Anyway, he gave me a sample of their pasta salad for the day and it was phenomenal! Corkscrew wheat pasta, rosemary vinaigrette, black and Greek olives, orzo, artichokes, sweet red onions, and fresh Parmesan cheese. Yummmmy!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Today, I had a doctor's appointment and there is a deli in the same building. I popped in and talked up the counter guy. They make their food from scratch every day, including salads and soups. They even have a specialty sandwich called a 'damn' sandwich. Basically, the guy writes 'damn' on the order and, whichever chef gets the ticket, makes whatever DAMN sandwich s/he wants. I love the concept, allergies aside.

Anyway, he gave me a sample of their pasta salad for the day and it was phenomenal! Corkscrew wheat pasta, rosemary vinaigrette, black and Greek olives, orzo, artichokes, sweet red onions, and fresh Parmesan cheese. Yummmmy!

One word: YUM!

Oh...and LOL on the Damn Sandwich! What a hoot!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
One word: YUM!

Oh...and LOL on the Damn Sandwich! What a hoot!

I KNOW, riiight?

Hopefully, the chef wouldn't know and have a beef with the customer, otherwise.....that sandwich could contain more than anticipated.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Here's a yummy sounding salad that would be an iron-booster!

Flat Iron Steak and Spinach Salad

Prep Time: 25 Minutes Ready In: 50 Minutes Cook Time: 25 Minutes Servings: 6

Ingredients:

2 pounds flat iron steak
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
3 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red wine
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat; lightly oil the grate.
2. Season the flat iron steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook to desired degree of doneness on preheated grill, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest in a warm area while proceeding with the recipe.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Pour in the Italian salad dressing, and bring to a boil, then stir in the red peppers and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until the peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove the vegetables from the skillet with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Increase the heat to medium-high, and add the red wine. Simmer the salad dressing and wine until it has reduced to a syrupy sauce, about 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, divide the spinach leaves onto serving plates. Thinly slice the flat iron steak across the grain. Spoon the warm, cooked vegetable mixture over the spinach leaves, then place the sliced steak on top. Spoon on the reduced red wine sauce, and finally, sprinkle with blue cheese.

Nutrition Information
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Calories: 431
Amount Per Serving

* Total Fat: 30.7g
* Cholesterol: 77mg
* Sodium: 611mg
* Total Carbs: 12.7g
* Dietary Fiber: 3.1g
* Protein: 22.7g

from Allrecipes.com 11/13/2009
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Here's a yummy sounding salad that would be an iron-booster!

Flat Iron Steak and Spinach Salad

Prep Time: 25 Minutes Ready In: 50 Minutes Cook Time: 25 Minutes Servings: 6

Ingredients:

2 pounds flat iron steak
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
3 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red wine
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat; lightly oil the grate.
2. Season the flat iron steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook to desired degree of doneness on preheated grill, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest in a warm area while proceeding with the recipe.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Pour in the Italian salad dressing, and bring to a boil, then stir in the red peppers and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until the peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove the vegetables from the skillet with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Increase the heat to medium-high, and add the red wine. Simmer the salad dressing and wine until it has reduced to a syrupy sauce, about 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, divide the spinach leaves onto serving plates. Thinly slice the flat iron steak across the grain. Spoon the warm, cooked vegetable mixture over the spinach leaves, then place the sliced steak on top. Spoon on the reduced red wine sauce, and finally, sprinkle with blue cheese.

Nutrition Information
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Calories: 431
Amount Per Serving

* Total Fat: 30.7g
* Cholesterol: 77mg
* Sodium: 611mg
* Total Carbs: 12.7g
* Dietary Fiber: 3.1g
* Protein: 22.7g

from Allrecipes.com 11/13/2009
This sounds yummy!