Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #1561
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default North Carolina

I read an interesting article this morning...most (51 of 54) Registers of Deeds (the persons issuing marriage licenses) surveyed, have said they are not in favor of Bill 2, and will continue to issue marriage licenses to those legally able to receive them (same-sex included should SCOTUS rule so), without issue.

It appears the passing of the law is an effort to pacify the religious conservatives of the state, but will have no real effect. Well, when i say that i am not taking into account what we as a community feel when laws are passed to attempt to keep us "less than", i just mean in our day to day lives.

The House will attempt to override the veto tonight...they are waiting until they have enough members in attendance to met the number they need.

* interesting note: North Carolina has it as part of proceedure, that an override must be done immediately...but the legislature (republicans) have held a vote off for months before to insure they can achieve their goal.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #1562
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Point to ponder....

If the SCOTUS rules that states have the right to define marriage, then what does that do to same-sex marriages in the states where the SCOTUS or other Federals courts have ruled that the bans were unconstitutional? Are the marriages ( like mine) already done still valid? Do marriages stop in all but 12 states?

I think the SCOTUS has no choice to make same-sex marriage the law of the land.

Btw...should Rick Santorim become President, he has vowed to stop enforcement of the SCOTUS decision because it violates the 1st ammendment.

Vote people...get out and vote!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #1563
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

I second that ........................GET OUT AND VOTE PEEEPS!!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #1564
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
I read an interesting article this morning...most (51 of 54) Registers of Deeds (the persons issuing marriage licenses) surveyed, have said they are not in favor of Bill 2, and will continue to issue marriage licenses to those legally able to receive them (same-sex included should SCOTUS rule so), without issue.

It appears the passing of the law is an effort to pacify the religious conservatives of the state, but will have no real effect. Well, when i say that i am not taking into account what we as a community feel when laws are passed to attempt to keep us "less than", i just mean in our day to day lives.

The House will attempt to override the veto tonight...they are waiting until they have enough members in attendance to met the number they need.

* interesting note: North Carolina has it as part of proceedure, that an override
must be done immediately...but the legislature (republicans) have held a vote off for months before to insure they can achieve their goal.
By waiting, they were able to get enough votes to override the veto...but I'm not sure it will have a huge impact.

Sad day for North Carolina
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #1565
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Point to ponder....

If the SCOTUS rules that states have the right to define marriage, then what does that do to same-sex marriages in the states where the SCOTUS or other Federals courts have ruled that the bans were unconstitutional? Are the marriages ( like mine) already done still valid? Do marriages stop in all but 12 states?

I think the SCOTUS has no choice to make same-sex marriage the law of the land.

Btw...should Rick Santorim become President, he has vowed to stop enforcement of the SCOTUS decision because it violates the 1st ammendment.

Vote people...get out and vote!
FYI...i was just passing along the idiocy of Rick Santorium, as the President cannot veto SCOTUS decisions...i was using him as an example of why we don't want the Republicans in office.

*** Is anyone else on pins and needles waiting for the SCOTUS to announce their decision on marriage equality? I am also interested in their decision on the Affordable Health Care Act....a lot of people will lose health care if there are no subsidies to help pay for it.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #1566
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Mexico

On June 2nd, Mexico's Supreme Court issued a Thesis stating that marriage being limited to only one man or one woman is unconstitutional, but it was not announced until late last week.

The thing is, they have no real jurisdiction over the issue! They, and the states of Mexico, may decide case by case if they are petitioned by a same-sex couple for a marriage license, but only two areas in Mexico have true marriage equaility: Mexico City and Cahjilo.

I posted the long process of marriage equality, which is to be done state by state, in a prior post. But, the thesis posted does allow the justices to grant exceptions such as marriage for a dying person, etc...
Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #1567
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default SCOTUS

The Justices normally publish decisions on Monday, with conferences held on Thursday to decide what cases to hear next. According to the SCOTUS blog i follow, decisions will also be announced before all further conferences until the end of the term.

Unfortunately, the decisions that will be announced are not posted ahead of time.....

When the same-sex marriage decision is announced, someone please post ASAP as this is the first place i go when i sign on. Can you tell i really want to know? Lol

***Edited to add: I just checked the blog, and decisions are also scheduled for this Friday.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #1568
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default SCOTUS

There were six Opinions (decisions) handed down today, leaving 11 still to be issued.

Same-sex marriage and Health care subsides were NOT among today's rulings.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #1569
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation
Default scotus

It is In My Humble Opinion SCOTUS will release it on a BIG news day.....so it does not get a lot of front page press coverage...and so the religious right can blame the disaster news on Homosexual marriage,,,and the godless supreme court....and of course obama....and hillary....
Remember thomas might have to write something and that takes time....he has not yet spoken a word on the job....A few are prolly pushing ruthie to resign when it goes thru.....and all the kings horses and all the kings men are preparing their soundbites just in case it ends up being front page news....

Considering that the federal government already acknowledges gay marriage..including benefits......this decision is a given.....just wish the churches/temples would pull their heads out of their icons and realize they are all still allowed to discriminate all they want and do not have to marry anyone.....its civil ceremonies that will be nation wide legal....

So not to wish ill on any particular location or group of people....watch the weather..and the wacko's...the sooner front page insanity and catastrophe hits the sooner we will see the decision that says..yup marriage equality is for all .
Old 06-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #1570
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau View Post
It is In My Humble Opinion SCOTUS will release it on a BIG news day.....so it does not get a lot of front page press coverage...and so the religious right can blame the disaster news on Homosexual marriage,,,and the godless supreme court....and of course obama....and hillary....
Remember thomas might have to write something and that takes time....he has not yet spoken a word on the job....A few are prolly pushing ruthie to resign when it goes thru.....and all the kings horses and all the kings men are preparing their soundbites just in case it ends up being front page news....

Considering that the federal government already acknowledges gay marriage..including benefits......this decision is a given.....just wish the churches/temples would pull their heads out of their icons and realize they are all still allowed to discriminate all they want and do not have to marry anyone.....its civil ceremonies that will be nation wide legal....

So not to wish ill on any particular location or group of people....watch the weather..and the wacko's...the sooner front page insanity and catastrophe hits the sooner we will see the decision that says..yup marriage equality is for all .
The remaining days scheduled for the releasing of decisions are: 6/22, 6/25 and 6/29... A total of 11 decisions, including the Affordable Health Care subsides and same-sex marriage, are among the 11 left. The Justices have the flexibility to add additional days in July to the schedule should the decisions not be ready to publish...but it is widely believed that won't be the case this year.

Yes, the people opposing marriage equality will probably lose their minds when/if a positive decision is handed down, so everyone should keep their heads-up and stay safe.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #1571
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

July 4th will mark the 50th Anniversary of the Philidelphia march for equality...despite the possible job loss, incarceration, or injury to themselves, people marched and stood up for human dignity.

When people tell you that same-sex marriage or even our civil rights have happened too fast, remind them of the days when people were dying of aids ( of anything really) and their beloved "partner" could be shut out and excluded from all visits and choices by families or medical professionals, and we had no rights. Remind them that in some places in 2015 IT CAN STILL HAPPEN, and ask them if we should wait until everyone is "comfortable" with us having the SAME rights as they enjoy.

The same rights not more, and God dammit it all not LESS!

Anyhow...this waiting for news is killing me...hopefully tomorrow?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #1572
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Mexico

I'm not sure how i missed this, but on 6/18 the State of Chihuahua offically began to allow same-sex marriage!

Yay Chihuahua
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #1573
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default SCOTUS

Omg!

There were four (4) decisions handed down today, but the Affordable Health Care subsidies and same-sex marriage were not among them!

The Court scheduled Thursday to announce more decisions, and it will be their usual conference day.

Seven more decisions to go!
Old 06-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #1574
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Pitcairn Island

The tiny nation (population 48) of Pitcairn Island, has legalized same-sex marriage.

The Island in the Pacific Ocean, does not have any gay couples, but that shouldn't stop their statement of equality!

Wtg!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #1575
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Mike Huckabee-asshat

Mike Huckabee has vowed that, should he become POTUS he will ignore the SCOTUS ruling allowing gay marriage. If marriage equality then passes in the Legislature, he will veto the bill.

I personally praise God that he will never be POTUS, but there are plenty more just like him, or plenty being incited by his hatred. A positive ruling by the SCOTUS will bring them out of the woodwork!

Be careful out there folks, there are plenty of people just like the South Carolina shooter... full of hate, and ready to kill.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #1576
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Italy

The lower house passed a motion asking the Government to adopt Civil Union requirements for same-sex unions.

Italy ( also several other countries), requires a civil marriage before any religious services (unless you are catholic) may be undertaken. The Civil Union grants rights of inheritance, taxes, health Care decisions, etc...and does NOT require a religious ceremony to follow.

Further news to follow.....
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #1577
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default SCOTUS

I saw the SCOTUS again posted notice that decisions would be announced tomorrow and Friday...last week they were in error and only Thursday listed decisions.

Sooooo, being the anal retentive person i am, i emailed the blog for clarification, and was told that we will indeed have decisions Thurs, Fri and Monday.

Just an FYI
Old 06-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #1578
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

No announcement on same-sex marriage today, but the ACA is here to stay!

Whoop!
Old 06-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #1579
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I have long thought that this is the best way of handling marriage in all countries/principalities/states/municipalities, whatever. Marriage is a legal contract between consenting adults. If you want religious sanctions along with the legality, fine, but the marriage authority should come from the state, not any church (whether you are catholic or not, lol)
Smooches,
Keri

Actually, in the best of worlds the authority should come from the individuals engaging in the contract as it does with most other contracts. All legal rights should flow from the signing of this contract with perhaps a small governmental registration fee if the individuals wish to "publish" the contract

Quote:
The lower house passed a motion asking the Government to adopt Civil Union requirements for same-sex unions.

Italy ( also several other countries), requires a civil marriage before any religious services (unless you are catholic) may be undertaken. The Civil Union grants rights of inheritance, taxes, health Care decisions, etc...and does NOT require a religious ceremony to follow.

Further news to follow.....
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #1580
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Well folks....

Tomorrow, June 26th, marks the anniversary of the decision by the SCOTUS making sections of DOMA unconstitutional, and the Lawerence vs Texas judgement striking down the laws against sodomy.

Wouldn't it be fitting to have same-sex marriage become the law of the land tomorrow as well?!