Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 05-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #461
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,499 Times in 3,157 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Oh I think I need to slow down I read that as VD and how it helps your immune system. What the...? Well that doesn't make any sense. So a little less quickly I read it again. Oh now that does make sense. Then it occured to me, wait they don't even call it VD anymore. Damn I'm old. Okay that's it, back to speed reading for me.
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #462
A. Spectre

How Do You Identify?:
Butch dominant lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Baby Boi
Relationship Status:
She is my sunrise and sunset.

Thanked 10,783 Times in 1,440 Posts
A. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST Reputation

Donald Trump Promises Caution For His, Pence's Health So Nancy Pelosi Doesn't Serve As President

Donald Trump has reportedly implemented some additional precautions in the White House, including asking staffers to start wearing masks. Now he says that he and Vice President Mike Pence will take extra care not to catch the virus, after seeing a tweet explaining that Nancy Pelosi would be third in line to serve as President in the event that COVID-19 (or anything else) forced a succession.

A Just The News piece tweeted Monday afternoon garnered a response from President Trump. The article lays out the lines of presidential succession under current law. In short, if Trump and Pence were both rendered unable to serve, the next person in line to fill the role until a new election would be Nancy Pelosi. Trump is no fan of Pelosi, who he has called crazy and nervous, saying “there’s something wrong with her upstairs”, accusing her of staging impeachment as a hoax, and generally implying she’s anti-American, incompetent, and engaging in dirty politics.

A tweet of the article explaining how presidential succession works must have caught Trump’s eye Tuesday morning, because he retweeted it, along with a response promising to protect his health to avoid an eventuality in which Pelosi held presidential power.

The amount of activity at the White House makes transmission a high risk, if precautions aren’t being taken. Though everyone who comes into contact with Trump is tested for SARS-CoV-2, the rapid tests that give results in minutes instead of days have a high rate of false negatives. With implementation of masks, Trump appears to be taking more care regarding the health of White House occupants. With Nancy Pelosi’s hypothetical occupation of the White House dangled before him, though, he’s now offered a public promise to be very careful indeed.

--------------------------------------------------

*Say what?! 3 1/2 years squatting in the WH and he does not understand the line of succession? My God! He is even dumber than realized. What? the shit gibbon thought Jarvanka would take over? Please please please continue to not wear masks. "There there donny, it's just a wittle cold."
A. Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to A. Spectre For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #463
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,991 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Things I've been thinking about over the past few weeks.

Does anybody else think of all the things we do in ordinary daily life and how Covid-19 has radically changed the way we go about our daily 'business'?

I read yesterday, how the US House of Representatives passed an extensive bill to help people not fall from the social grid. I know it has to yet be approved by the Senate, but one wonders even with improved funding (for example: This time there is hazard pay for employees on the front lines, extended unemployment benefits, extra income for family units with children - another round of a stimulus check with added extra income, one time payment) how will it improve the financial picture for those workers who were called back to work but not deemed an "Essential Worker"? Some workers got more money being laid off, than when they earned a living reporting to work. So I see flaws already in the latest bill, and flaws too concerning how certain corporate entities will raid funding meant to help those who seriously need it, etc (Small Business America; not franchisee owners who don't give a hoot about their workers being on the front lines to help them cash in on what cash is out there).

I know this sounds harsh, but I sincerely hope this pandemic is the proverbial Death Knell which wipes out the GOP as a controlling interest in politics and business affairs in our country. They truly DO NOT care about how people are suffering. Their greed and poisonous mindset is so toxic it should be painfully obvious to all American's that this type of horror show should be dealt with quickly. Before it is the complete and total ruin of our American society.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #464
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Not everyone who would like to wear a mask has the time, skills, patience, even just interest required to make one. However it is possible to purchase a variety of ready to wear online. This article links to some 35+ places offering them for sale. Really far more because some links, like for example Amazon Handmade and Etsy link to multiple sellers.

Anyhow the first on the list was, I think on the spendy side, but patience, there are links to more affordable shops too. It's never going to be inexpensive to get hands on a ready made mask if a person isn't able to get a donated one but I felt considering the money and time spent that goes into making them, some were fairly reasonable.

Also some retailers are donating so many masks to charity for each one sold. Other sellers could probably use monetary contributions to purchase supplies allowing even more to be sold at affordable prices or even donated to charitable organizations to be distributed free of charge to those in need.

https://www.cnet.com/health/dont-hav...-these-stores/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #465
nhplowboi

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Good question.

Thanked 3,464 Times in 741 Posts
nhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Ok, maybe I am a bit weird but I have kept a daily death toll of this craziness. Is it just me or does anyone else notice John Hopkins is not releasing updates in a timely manner? Today they are saying only maybe 150-200 deaths when we average 1000 plus a day. Why when benchmarks (that would be 90,000) are going to be reached do they hold back on the numbers? This bastard (or someone) is messing with the numbers but why don't they understand it will all come out in the wash.
nhplowboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nhplowboi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #466
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

The numbers have gone down. 865 deaths yesterday.

91717 is the death count as of now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Old 05-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #467
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,124 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
The numbers have gone down. 865 deaths yesterday.

91717 is the death count as of now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
ty ((( Martina ))))
Old 05-19-2020, 07:01 AM   #468
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Kitsap County COVID-19 infections hit 160 on Monday....

Confirmed cases if COVID-19 have risen to 160 in Kitsap County, according to a Monday afternoon update by the Kitsap Public Health District. Since last Friday, two confirmed cases have been added by KPHD.

A total of 5,354 residents have tested negative — of those tested, the positive test rate has dropped to about 3 percent.

Of the 160 cases, 49 have been reported in Bremerton, 39 in South Kitsap, 33 in North Kitsap, 28 in Central Kitsap and 11 on Bainbridge Island. Two deaths have been confirmed by Kitsap Public Health District as well.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #469
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

who thinks trump is lying about being on hydroxychloroquine ?
Old 05-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #470
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ocean View Post
who thinks trump is lying about being on hydroxychloroquine ?

*raises hand..

You could tell by how he stumbled awkwardly in his answer about if the doctor actually put him on it OR if he just decided to go on it on his own accord!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #471
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Confirmed cases if COVID-19 have risen to 160 in Kitsap County, according to a Monday afternoon update by the Kitsap Public Health District. Since last Friday, two confirmed cases have been added by KPHD.

A total of 5,354 residents have tested negative — of those tested, the positive test rate has dropped to about 3 percent.

Of the 160 cases, 49 have been reported in Bremerton, 39 in South Kitsap, 33 in North Kitsap, 28 in Central Kitsap and 11 on Bainbridge Island. Two deaths have been confirmed by Kitsap Public Health District as well.
Kitsap County is one of 10 more counties that can apply to reopen early in ‘Phase Two.’
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #472
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

San Diego county in California just began phase 2 yesterday morning. I went to the beach and had a bit of a drive about in a couple of popular spots. So far so good.

The county applied for early opening to the governor and got the go ahead based on public behavior so far as well as testing numbers. With memorial weekend kicking off tomorrow I will probably stay out of the fray just because of the huge sense of relief most people are going to have. I can be patient.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #473
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

For the first time since this whole thing started some medical powers that be somebody sent word informing though patients are still encouraged to bring their own whenever possible, masks will now be provided for patients without them. They also sent a link showing how to use masks as well as make them including instructions for a no sew kind you can cut from a t-shirt.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...structions.pdf
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:01 PM   #474
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Who would've thought that wearing masks this year would likely save your life? I did, the instant I first heard about this type of communicable viral sickness was talked about relentlessly, the beginning of this year.

I now have about 20 masks. Some I've made myself. Other masks were made for me by people at my work campus or by vendors who sell goods at my mom and youngest brother's vintage store. I would like to find a kitschy traveling case to keep them in, each in their own safety case covering, to keep them as clean as possible, so I can wear one on any given day without having to think about whether they're clean enough to wear. I now wash them after I wear them once, in sanitizer solution, then air dry them. And once they're air dried, I pop them in the dryer to make doubly sure they are super free of any non-visible contaminant (sort of my own, wonky sterilizing method).

Have any of you been listening to Ari Shapiro, as he hosts NPR's All Things Considered? On my drive home from work tonight, I got to hear the last half of today's program. They talked about lots of things, but the thing I keep hearing them cover is when a viable innocculation (sp?) shot will become available as a vaccine. I keep thinking back to the days, back when I was just a kid, elementary aged kid (7-10 years of age) and how polio shots had just come out and measles shots and diptheria shots, etc. The vaccination record, one had to have to be able to attend school and not catch viral diseases which could take off in small to large populations of human gatherings. I got to thinking today, about that. The time line of when those vaccinations were developed and how early on, doctors and scientists could wholeheartedly say that the vaccination would actually work and that the benefit of the vaccine would actually outweigh the risk of getting the vaccine. Kind of like flu vaccines of today. Sometimes they work; yet other times they don't or the unlikely outcome of actually getting really sick from the vaccine itself.

Due to several decades of vaccines for yesteryears diseases which could wipe out or cause significant harm to human beings, it's only been the past few years that anti-vaccine proponents have convinced a lot of younger adults with children to not participate in getting vaccinations meant to prevent your kids from contracting diseases which could kill you or alter your life in tangible ways (long of short term ways).

So I wonder now, if and when the COVID vaccine is ready to be disbursed as a viable way to counter the viral disease that is taking over the world (they said that Brazil is second only to the US in numbers of COVID cases and deaths, today), will it actually work or will they first batch they release be the test batch on people who elect to take the first round of the vaccine. Know what I mean?

I have some concerns about the vaccine they are working on. I actually hope that scientists working on the vaccine create the best vaccine possible. I am sure they are. But I do have a deep concern about it.

Until they are absolutely sure, I intend to keep washing my hands relentlessly and wearing masks and gloves and keeping my distance from others as much as possible. At work? Where I work? We still do not have even half of the working population back on campus. I'd say that only an 1/8th of us are back on the job, but you can't come to work without gloves or masks and we observe the 6 ft rule at all costs. Our building is closed to the public and only special appts made in advance, will get one permission to be on our campus. We're taking no chances.

Anyhoooo. That's what is on my mind now about COVID 19. The vaccine.

Keeping my fingers crossed and trying to not worry but I do feel a great deal of anxiety on a daily basis. For now, it's hand-washing, gloves and mask and enforced distancing. 24/7/365 (until further notice).

_____ ______
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #475
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Over 100,000 deaths in the US now.
I just don't see how people can't see it for what it is.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #476
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Covid-19 the double head sword ~ it gets you , takes you down ~ then you have to watch death. I had posted not too long ago about my grandsons grandfather , uncle, aunt and 2 cousins all sick with Covid-19 ~ today his grandfather just had his last rights ~ he has a few hours left and my grandson with his heart in hand is going to a location where the family is gathering for a virtual good by. The nurses set it all up so the dying patients can hear their family one more time ( god bless them ) his uncle and family is still fighting the virus in their own home . My son in law is a mess I wish I could be their with my daughter and grandson . Jonathan is scared for many reasons I can tell he's very nervous and teary eyed. 5/29/2020 Massachusetts death toll goes up 1 more for coronavirus.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:27 PM   #477
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,724 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

While COVID-19 is trending down in NY, we still have 370,000 cases reported (and keep in mind at least 80% don't get reported) and we have 30K deaths in NY. The affect of the protests, which I'm in no way dissing, which are very active in liberal NYC also would seem to have an obvious impact on opportunities for contracting COVID. I still NEVER go outside (each of us have gone out one time in the past few months). I still sanitize everything to the Nth degree, do everything with tedious care. Just this week I had 3 friends with COVID. And the symptoms are just horrible. Last night I called a messenger to deliver my oximeter (I ordered a new one) to my friend on the other side of Central Park, living alone, who has COVID. He said his chest feels like it's filled with broken glass and that it's so painful to breathe, that breathing in and out feels like breathing through shards of glass. He also has aches, pains, fever, no smell/taste, and extreme back pain making it hard to walk. He went to the hospital, had a very painful test that still hurts, and was told to go home and to come back if he starts to have true difficulty with breathing, not just painful breathing. I gave him the oximeter to monitor for silent hypoxia. I find myself in such a chronic state of anxiety. NYC will open on June 8th but I think a lot of people will still stay inside given how prevalent it is here. It can't be ignored when so many of the people who one knows locally have it. I think NYC is opening because our economy is falling completely apart, and it is thought this will help (Presumably, of course, it will.). I just wanted to check in again and say thanks, everyone, for the community here and the caring between all of us. It is a horrendous time in the world.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 07:29 PM   #478
Vincent

How Do You Identify?:
Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him,he
Relationship Status:
just me

Vincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
While COVID-19 is trending down in NY, we still have 370,000 cases reported (and keep in mind at least 80% don't get reported) and we have 30K deaths in NY. The affect of the protests, which I'm in no way dissing, which are very active in liberal NYC also would seem to have an obvious impact on opportunities for contracting COVID. I still NEVER go outside (each of us have gone out one time in the past few months). I still sanitize everything to the Nth degree, do everything with tedious care. Just this week I had 3 friends with COVID. And the symptoms are just horrible. Last night I called a messenger to deliver my oximeter (I ordered a new one) to my friend on the other side of Central Park, living alone, who has COVID. He said his chest feels like it's filled with broken glass and that it's so painful to breathe, that breathing in and out feels like breathing through shards of glass. He also has aches, pains, fever, no smell/taste, and extreme back pain making it hard to walk. He went to the hospital, had a very painful test that still hurts, and was told to go home and to come back if he starts to have true difficulty with breathing, not just painful breathing. I gave him the oximeter to monitor for silent hypoxia. I find myself in such a chronic state of anxiety. NYC will open on June 8th but I think a lot of people will still stay inside given how prevalent it is here. It can't be ignored when so many of the people who one knows locally have it. I think NYC is opening because our economy is falling completely apart, and it is thought this will help (Presumably, of course, it will.). I just wanted to check in again and say thanks, everyone, for the community here and the caring between all of us. It is a horrendous time in the world.
I'm so sad to read this,from here it does seem sureal,but know that,some of us care about our comrades/brothes and sisters in the USA.
in solidarity from Aust.xxxx
If Not Now-When
If Not Here-Where
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vincent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #479
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Default Just checking in today

So, not sure if any of you know about some of the things going on in my own metro area of Oregon. Last week, after nearly two months of people who desperately needed unemployment benefits, our governor was presented with enough evidence by two Democratic senators, who represent big districts of voters in our metro area, to force the governor to fire the chief honcho who used to run the Unemployment/Employment department. Many people in our state have not received unemployment covid benefits to this date. Two and a half months later, still no one has received any monetary assistance. My sister-in-law is in that group of people who are in dire financial straits. I would be in that situation too, had I still been an independent contractor and in the same industry she is in. Thank heavens I am not, but wow, imagine how bad it is for people who are still not receiving any compensation from being laid off their jobs, due to the ongoing spread of COVID 19.

Which, btw, the largest county in our metro area is planning to open up to the 1st phase of opening up the county. Not nary a word in the news about up-ticks in new covid cases, which there are new cases being reported each day since last week or the week before. But we hear about it via OPB news snippets during the first airing of news on the radio as we drive to work.

Each day that goes by, particularly this coming week, highways will be jam-packed with frenzied drivers hurrying to work, which will make getting to work a long an arduous commute. Even public transit still has limited service and limits the amount of riders allowed on buses or trains. It is going to be a nightmare, once next week gets under way.

Today? I went out and bought more toilet paper, face tissues, and restocked OTC meds I have run out of, since things disappeared from stores weeks ago. We still can't find cleaning products like we used to be able to buy, before this all went haywire in early March.

But I've found replacement supplies at natural grocer types of stores. I've had to pay a higher price to get it, but at least I have what I need on hand here at home, in case we come to a screeching halt again. It's hard to find clean fresh uncompromised food sources. I am super careful where I buy my produce, because in recent local news, several produce suppliers and local produce farms were found to have their work crews who tested positive for COVID. So that is very concerning news. It makes finding uncompromised food super difficult.

At work? This past week, plexiguard barriers were installed everywhere on campus. Laminated signs are on nearly every window, door, hallway, in the elevators, bathrooms and no lobby furnishings have returned -- so people can't sit in the lobby or meander around doing nothing or claim that no one told them they can't stand around invading each other's space. The six foot rule will be enforced and it will all be on CCTV so people can't lie their way out of not knowing the rules and/or the new standards for conduct & decorum (pinch of sarcasm alert).

I'm worried. I am very concerned. COVID is not over with and now it's going to be super serious if new waves of illness take off due to people not changing their behaviors.

That's all I got for now. I hope we all survive and that safety is not compromised over the coming weeks and months ahead.

_____ ______
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #480
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,261 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

CHRISTOPHER KATSAROV/THE GLOBE AND MAIL

What a coincidence that the companies that own the largest grocery chains in Canada all decided – some within hours of each other – that the danger posed by COVID-19 no longer merits forking over a couple of extra bucks for each employee. Surely the timing is just happenstance; these companies would never collude on something so untoward.

With the exception of Walmart, which ended its program on May 31, all the other major grocers – Loblaw, Metro and Empire (which owns Sobeys and Safeway) – decided last week to end their “hero pay” programs, which saw employees earn an extra couple of dollars an hour in exchange for working during a global pandemic. The companies cited the end of acute-crisis conditions and the establishment of a “new normal” as justification for returning to regular wages.

Now, perhaps these grocery chief executives know something about contracting COVID-19 that the rest of us do not, because according to ... well, virtually everyone else, the pandemic in Canada is anything but over.

Grocery-store employees are currently working in what is probably the highest-traffic workplace outside of hospitals (and hospital staff, it should be noted, are actually trained to work under pandemic conditions). That regions are slowly reopening doesn’t mean the risk to individuals is gone; it means that the outbreak has been controlled to the extent that hospitals, testing and contact-tracing can theoretically keep pace with continuing infections. In Ontario, the number of new daily infections is roughly where it was in late March, back when these companies first introduced their pandemic pay bumps.

So while these grocers might feel confident in their carefully crafted messages about normalcy returning to their stores, the reality is that in many regions, grocery-store workers will still continue to get sick. The difference is, they will now get sick while back on minimum wage.

It’s true that the pandemic pay bump, which saw Loblaw, Walmart and Metro employees paid an extra $2 an hour and Empire workers earn an extra $50 a week plus $2 extra for every hour over 20 hours, was always supposed to be temporary. It was introduced amid an initial panic that stores wouldn’t have enough staff to maintain essential operations during those uncertain first few weeks. But the health risk to front-line grocery workers hasn’t changed all that much between then and now. Plexiglass shields and physical-distancing practices were implemented around the same time as the pay bumps, not materially after.

What has changed since the end of March, rather, is the business case for a $2-an-hour premium. Grocery stores operate on relatively thin margins, where wages constitute the largest proportion of operating expenses. Now that Canadian cities are starting to reopen, resumed restaurant operations threaten to cut into the revenue and profit surges these stores have enjoyed over the past few months. And the looming expiration of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (although the federal government announced Tuesday it will extend the program by eight weeks) means more people may soon start looking for work.

Taken together, these are good reasons for a profit-minded company to scrap a bonus-pay program. It has absolutely nothing to do with employees suddenly being safer at work.

But then, we all knew that. These companies’ responsibilities are ultimately to their shareholders – not to the people stocking cans of tuna for $14 an hour, hoping they don’t bring the virus home to their families. Loblaw spokesperson Catherine Thomas essentially said as much in an e-mail to the Toronto Star, where she noted that “the company is no longer benefitting financially from COVID-19.” Alas, if only the rest of us could understand the angst of watching an enormous, unexpected profit reared from a wildly destructive disease slowly start to dissipate.

There is, perhaps, a good reason for government to get involved, especially considering the curious “coincidence” of the companies’ announcements and past subsidies the government has handed out to the industry. But on a matter like this, when corporate interests appear to have strayed so far from the basic principles of human decency, customers’ voices tend to wield more power than a government summons ever could achieve.

In normal times, callous, profit-centric corporate behaviour is not particularly remarkable. But one effect of the COVID-19 pandemic has been to amplify our society’s ugliest tendencies in a way that’s difficult to ignore. Clawing back an extra couple of dollars from grocery staff during a pandemic, while spuriously implying the risk is no longer there, transcends conventional ugliness to become distinctly grotesque. Deep down, the people behind the corporate decisions at Loblaw, Walmart, Metro and Empire surely know better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post: