Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

Wonderful thread! I am on faculty at a rural community college in an overall very conservative county. As far as I know I was the first out employee (talking openly about my then-spouse, applying for the few domestic partnership benefits that we actually did have) but we only last month were able to finally start a GSA -- for years when I tried to start one, I was told that only a student could start a club, but the climate in this area was just so oppressive that no student was willing to go forward and do so. Finally a coworker who is president of the local PFLAG group fought hard and won the right for us to start the GSA.

So I'm now one of the faculty advisors for the GSA, and it's just amazing to me to watch the students come forward with this look of freedom that they just haven't had before. It gave me the courage to take it a step further and put a LGBT Safe Space sign on my office door, plus an HRC sticker on my office window. As a femme, I don't have the ability to be out to my students just from my appearance and demeanor; if I want them to recognize that I am one of them -- and from that allow them to see that they can live a life that is honest and open even as a gay person -- I have to be more deliberate about it. Fortunately my new boss is a very strong supporter of the LGBT community.

So I really don't know if what I'm doing could be considered mentoring in the sense that I normally mean it. I'm not directly taking anyone under my wing, though if an LGBT student came to me and asked me for advice and assistance I would certainly not turn them away - though it would have to be to some degree with in the boundaries of what we are supposed to do in general in terms of trying to help our students directly with any kind of personal problem.

Oh and YAY for science/physics geeks! I'm a computer geek with roots in engineering, and would have loved to have gone to MIT! In fact, my very first butch lover was an MIT student...
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread and I really have something I want to say to join in, but it'll have to wait for tomorrow as it's 6am and my bed is calling to me! I'll be back ...
Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #23
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

When I came out and started going out on my local scene, I had the older butches and femmes take me under their wings and they taught me how to be. So, I have always felt that I owed it to all of them to pass it on, since then I've adopted several younger butches and femmes who were either rejected by their parents or simply ignored, they all call me Dad and I am beyond proud of every single one of them, over he years I've watched them all become strong, independent people, and seeing them now is the best feeling ever. I don't have the time to help out now, mainly because I love too far away from the nearest scene, so instead I try to help out our younger members here and elsewhere whenever I can, because I feel we have an obligation to help those who are unsure or just plain scared, to show them that there's nothing wrong with them and that they're not alone, ever.

Tags
mentoring