Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation
Default 4G Mobile Hotspot

Hey Everybody!

As part of my upcoming move, I am going to have to change internet providers. So one of the options I am looking at is going with Sprint's 4G mobile hotspot device. The way my plan with Sprint is already structured it would actually be cheaper than what I pay now for internet.

But how good is it really?????

We have mine and The Boy's laptops that would be moving all around the small apartment (700 sqft maybe), and then The Boy's desktop and iMac. I know it says it will provide service to up to 5 devices at a time. But my bigger concern is, will my signal on the laptop be good in the next room? Like what is the range on it? I know our current modem does okay in our house, but it's a full on modem.

So my question to y'all is,
Do any of you use a mobile hotspot device daily for your internet service at home or work?

Do you experience much service down time?

Who is your provider? (or just if you use Sprint)

Do you experience "dead" spots in your home/business where your computer doesn't pick up?

Anything you feel I should know?

Anybody use something other than your local cable/dish/phone provider for internet access?

Thanks bunches my tech-savvy friends.
A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
WingsOnFire

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..femme.. .babygirl...girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Ones...
Relationship Status:
Enjoying life but ready to meet someone

Thanked 12,476 Times in 3,357 Posts
WingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I dont have the Sprint hotspot but I do have the Verizon Mifi. It connects upto 5 devices wirelessly. It is about the size of a small wallet but flat. I love it! I take it to work with me and use it at home. I do have trouble sometimes at home with the reception but that is only because I have a dead zone in my area.

I would highly recommend a device like this. I just dont know how Sprint's works. I am still under the Alltel plan so I get unlimited internet but usually it is only 3G. 4G will probably be enough unless you are online A LOT.

Good luck!

Previously known as MidnightBlueEyes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://gailsforum.files.wordpress.co...-psd340941.png
WingsOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WingsOnFire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post
Hey Everybody!

As part of my upcoming move, I am going to have to change internet providers. So one of the options I am looking at is going with Sprint's 4G mobile hotspot device. The way my plan with Sprint is already structured it would actually be cheaper than what I pay now for internet.

We have mine and The Boy's laptops that would be moving all around the small apartment (700 sqft maybe), and then The Boy's desktop and iMac. I know it says it will provide service to up to 5 devices at a time. But my bigger concern is, will my signal on the laptop be good in the next room? Like what is the range on it? I know our current modem does okay in our house, but it's a full on modem.

Do any of you use a mobile hotspot device daily for your internet service at home or work?

Do you experience "dead" spots in your home/business where your computer doesn't pick up?

Anybody use something other than your local cable/dish/phone provider for internet access?

A
I have one and to be honest I kind of hate it. It works way faster actually plugged into your laptop and when its plugged in no one else can attach.

In this area its slow. Sprint in genral sucks in East Nasty, Donelson and Mt Juliet to name a few...not sure about the boro.

When I am traveling in major cities like NYC, it works great and is helpful....otherwise cable is WAY way way faster and infinitely more relieable.

You can download programs to make your phones wifi and just plug them in.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I have Verizon FIOS. 30-35MB both up and down. Now that said, the wireless that's built in is ok (reaches to the front yard where I spend most of my day) but now and again quits during the day (I suspect a nearby neighbour who has a wireless handset phone).

Personally, things like MiFi and/or Sprint's 4G are meant for laptops on the road. For me I cannot conceive of them being ok for home use, especially with that many computers. You'd be, IMO, better off with cable or DSL and getting a wireless router hooked up to those. It ends up being cheaper and easier to control.

One thing to note: wireless networks like 3G and 4G tend to have high latency, which is ok for phones and tablets but tends to suck for many of the apps we run on computers.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass

Last edited by Linus; 04-22-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Also, on 3g if you download over a certain amount you get charged even with unlimited data. I learned the hard way during my LOST obsession.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I have Verizon FIOS. 30-35MB both up and down. Now that said, the wireless that's built in is ok (reaches to the front yard where I spend most of my day) but now and again quits during the day (I suspect a nearby neighbour who has a wireless handset phone).

Personally, things like MiFi and/or Sprint's 4G are meant for laptops on the road. For me I cannot conceive of them being ok for home use, especially with that many computers. You'd be, IMO, better off with cable or DSL and getting a wireless router hooked up to those. It ends up being cheaper and easier to control.
What he said. You will end up throwing that Sprint coaster out your window.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
moxie

How Do You Identify?:
a cynical princess wannabe
Preferred Pronoun?:
lipgloss junkie
Relationship Status:
yep

Thanked 6,770 Times in 1,847 Posts
moxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hey Everybody!

A
I can tell you that I do not use a Sprint Mobile Hotspot but for work I use a Sprint portable cellular modem (598U by Sierra Wireless) and I can't stand it. I NEVER get full signal strength no matter where I am (I usually have only one or two bars). I only use it for web access so my notes through a web-based electronic medical records program and it's okay but drops ALL the time. I've never downloaded or streamed anything though. And Sprint is the smallest cell company here in Louisville I think, so that could be part of the reception issue. But my phone service is okay on my work cell. And we are definitely not 4G here.

I have a dry/naked (don't have a landline phone but goes through the phone jack) DSL through AT&T and I have the lowest speed, pay $20/month, use my wireless router and have NO problems at home. In the 3.5 years I have had it, it has gone out only twice. I highly recommend it
Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
You can download programs to make your phones wifi and just plug them in.
Ohhhh will get J researching that.

Quote:

One thing to note: wireless networks like 3G and 4G tend to have high latency, which is ok for phones and tablets but tends to suck for many of the apps we run on computers.
I was hoping you would see this and post to it as well. ummm What is latency? And I kinda figured it was too good to be true. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Also, on 3g if you download over a certain amount you get charged even with unlimited data. I learned the hard way during my LOST obsession.
Those sneeky bastids. Great to know. I asked Sprint about this because I am on "unlimited" and don't want to get a nasty surprise. They said it would be unlimited that I could stay on all day and night, but didn't mention about uploading or downloading, which The Boy does an immense amount of. Sorry you learned the hard way, I will learn from your mistake. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregrrl View Post

I have a dry/naked (don't have a landline phone but goes through the phone jack) DSL through AT&T and I have the lowest speed, pay $20/month, use my wireless router and have NO problems at home. In the 3.5 years I have had it, it has gone out only twice. I highly recommend it
I was wondering about that. I don't understand all the tech stuff enough to know whether I could just get internet through the phone line without the phone. Thank you! I will check this out. Oh, and when you say lowest speed, it's not too slow or stuff? Do you download alot or stream movies on it? How does it seem for that? We don't game online so I don't care about the speed for that. Thanks.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
moxie

How Do You Identify?:
a cynical princess wannabe
Preferred Pronoun?:
lipgloss junkie
Relationship Status:
yep

Thanked 6,770 Times in 1,847 Posts
moxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I was wondering about that. I don't understand all the tech stuff enough to know whether I could just get internet through the phone line without the phone. Thank you! I will check this out. Oh, and when you say lowest speed, it's not too slow or stuff? Do you download alot or stream movies on it? How does it seem for that? We don't game online so I don't care about the speed for that. Thanks.

I download music mostly...song on itunes takes about a minute at the most. I haven't streamed any full-length movies yet.

My connection is a 768 Kbps. The highest, which is 6 Mbps is less than $10 more/month...I am cheap. Right now I could get 6 Mbps services for $24.95/month for the first year if I was a new customer. There aren't a bunch of taxes on it like you get with cell/cable services. The price they say it is a month is the price you pay. AT&T has discount for the first year and then jacks it up after the year about $5-10/month. Still MUCH cheaper than internet through the cable company here and much more reliable.

Now, AT&T is the local landline phone service here, so I don't know if that is why we have this service. If your landline phone provider is Verizon they have similar dry DSL.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I was hoping you would see this and post to it as well. ummm What is latency? And I kinda figured it was too good to be true. LOL
Latency means the length of time that it takes for a single packet to go from your computer to a destination and then back again. The lower the latency, the fast and more stable a network. The higher the latency, the more packets that are dropped and the more unstable a network.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Latency means the length of time that it takes for a single packet to go from your computer to a destination and then back again. The lower the latency, the fast and more stable a network. The higher the latency, the more packets that are dropped and the more unstable a network.
And if I'm not mistaken, the more connections the slower it all goes.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D View Post
And if I'm not mistaken, the more connections the slower it all goes.
Certainly (connections mean more computers, not multiple websites accesses) but sometimes latency can occur without the extra connections.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: