Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation
Default What men say about women when they don't know you've lived as a woman

This is an interesting article. I'm particularly astonished by Austin (a few comments down) who claims he's never heard any misogyny from a cis-gendered guys lips. I can't believe that is true.

I've never met a transguy or a sex worker who hasn't witnessed or experienced men making derogatory comments about women. Part of 'being a man' is the expectation of not policing other men's behaviour. Luckily the transguys I know got fed up in the end and refused to participate in other men's bad behaviour, or stayed open about their transition.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

Jaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST Reputation

Its true that 'some' men say pretty nasty things about women but they are of a type and often those who wouldnt dream of voicing those kind of comments, sometimes go along with it for fear of being unpopular and some because when guys are like that, theres little point in wasting energy arguing with them. People will be what they are - and come to that, Ive heard some pretty disgusting, filthy things coming out of women's mouths concerning men
Jaques is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaques For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting article...even more interesting, the comments after it.

Thanks
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

Jaques is right when it comes to sexism not being a one-way street. People may argue and say that because western society still favours men that it's even moreso not all right for there to be sexism against women, but in our society everyone polices each other, and nobody polices each other like women do.

A close transguy friend of mine has often bitterly come to me and talked about the nasty sexist things he's heard not only from men, but from women, about everyone. He said that, to him, the stuff about women stands out because of the years spent living as a girl and woman, and because of his love for his wife and their daughters. The stuff about men stands out to him because he still finds himself on his guard about gender presentation, although he passes. The stuff about queer people in general, too, stands out because of the fear which remains in queers because of the backhanded, backstage treatment they get when they think another red-blooded het-and-cis dude is listening. I listen, and I agree, and I feel upset.

No matter what someone's gender ID is, there's always someone out there who'll make them feel terrible for not being an ideal of "enough" or "correct". I see it within queer communities, too, where folks will critique butches and effeminate gays for transgressing gender standards, or for taking on gender standards which don't belong to their birth-assigned sex.

For all of the women out there who cut each other down harshly to build themselves up, the men who cut women down harshly to try and retain their slipping grip on patriarchal privilege, the men who target each other with gender policing and "no-homo" talk, the women who emasculate men for perceived gender failings when relating to women, the folks who don't fit into gender binary who closely observe the behaviour of non-binary others who may not fit their ideal of gender warrior... please stop. Please God, stop.

I hear some femmes even within our community talk down about butches as though they're some sort of ideal of buffoonish, cartoonish masculinity; I also hear some butches talk about femmes as though they were a different species constructed completely out of asspain and intentional feminine misery. This, I think, is incomprehensible.

However... however... for every person I meet who has nothing good to say about anyone, I meet some others who eschew bias altogether and simply enjoy the varieties and stereotypical behaviour identifications in others not as gendered behaviour, but individual foibles and endearments.

It's all sexism and any perpetuation of sexism from anyone towards anyone makes life just a little harder for everyone. There are better ways to bond with others than to bring someone else down.

*hands the soapbox back and dusts off her tights*
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Cid

How Do You Identify?:
ultra femme princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, lady..whichever
Relationship Status:
waiting for the right one

Thanked 2,731 Times in 632 Posts
Cid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST Reputation

Rather than add the entire quote, I'll just say...well said Genghisfawn.

It's funny because one thing that I thought about when I saw the title to this thread is the things I hear when people don't know that I'm gay. I'm not out at work because I don't think it's anyone's business there, so I hear a lot of things.
Sometimes I say something about it, sometimes I just feel that it's not worth the fight because the one that I would be fighting with doesn't matter enough.

The times that I do say something is when it's against someone in particular at work, then I think it's worth the battle. But there are some people out there that no matter what you say, it just doesn't get through. Those are the one's that I walk away from. Sometimes it's just not worth it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Silverseastar

How Do You Identify?:
femme, submissive, girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Singular

Silverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST ReputationSilverseastar Has the BEST Reputation

Great thoughts Geghisfawn.

I think we are missing a couple more pieces....for sexism to thrive it requires the participation of women as well. A society sustains itself from within.

Also, misogynism exists even in trans guys and maybe those that say cis-guys never say anything are used to being in/viewing/agreeing with those sentiments perhaps even on a subconscious level.
Silverseastar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Silverseastar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I'd say this isn't just stuff that men say when women aren't around, it's definitely said when women are around, too. And pretty frequently. I see it all the time at work and most people think it's ok. I don't see this as some "top secret cisguy thing" at all when it's something that is so obvious, socially accepted and happens daily in front of women's own eyes.

As far as where transguys fit into the equation, I really don't think it's so cut and dry. Many transguys who don't live "stealth" also have to face the assumptions made by cisguys or ciswomen who are aware of them as trans people that the only reason the transguy is saying anything at all is because he really "is" a woman or "has been" a woman...which many transguys would say they are neither women nor ever have been women, but have been wrongly perceived that way. A big difference between being and perception. But either way results in dismissal of anything he has to say because of that perception.

The problem and the solution are much, much bigger than claiming that all transguys must speak up against misogyny on a daily individual basis or simply calling out sexism/misogyny on a daily individual basis. It's rarely those situations that actually result in any social change when the media and government are all spewing the same crap and backing it up by claiming it is "natural" or "logical" or "reality." I've had so many heated discussions with both men and women over misogynist and/or sexist comments, and they very frequently end the same way. Which is not a positive way. The entire system and way we perceive gender needs to be changed, what we deem acceptable and the way that approach causes change is evident in the way society has changed over the years. People change oppressive beliefs, at least for the most part, over years or even generations. They base it on what they were taught at school as children and by the media, primarily, or through personal experience with oppression and discrimination. If the media, government and schools continue to peddle misogyny and sexism in general, then very little will change.

Is that meant to say that nothing should be said on an individual basis? Of course, not. Quite the contrary. But at the same time, I think energy is better spent trying to attack sexism at the root. As long as sexism is supported by the media, industry and legally then it will always continue.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Whether and when women denigrate themselves, each other, or men is not the subject of the article. It's an article about what men say to each other when they think they're just amongst other men like themselves. It's furthermore about the duty that people who once were female, or at least female bodied, have to not let those comments pass.

It's endlessly irritating to me that we can't simply discuss male misogyny without having to add that 'women say f**ked up stuff, too'. Or my favourite, 'Women abuse/rape men, too'. It's really, really OK to talk about male misogyny without talking about ways in which women fail. Really.

As for the actual content of the article, I've often found myself repulsed and threatened by what men have said to each other when they thought women weren't listening. I work with a great many giant, well fed men whose job is to lift and move scenery from here to there. While there are plenty who do not, and would not, say the things I find most horrifying, they're also not in the habit of challenging those who do. There have been far too many times when I've found myself on the other side of a piece of scenery while the abovementioned oversized men have said something particularly violent and threatening about specific women, or women in general. The few times when they've realised I was within earshot, they've been embarrassed and apologetic.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,618 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
It's endlessly irritating to me that we can't simply discuss male misogyny without having to add that 'women say f**ked up stuff, too'. Or my favourite, 'Women abuse/rape men, too'. It's really, really OK to talk about male misogyny without talking about ways in which women fail. Really.
Yes, yes, yes, yes!! Thank you for saying this. There must be some way in which this is extremely threatening because many women feel the need to come to the defense of men or male id'd people whenever this kind of conversation starts. I don't think it's necessary to divert the focus. I think discussing misogyny is always worthwhile. I think communication, accountability and honesty are key in order to bring about change. As women or female bodied people we don't need to protect or defend or deflect.

This kind of stuff reminds me of conversations about racism where someone feels it's important to say that black people had slaves and/or sold rival tribe members to slave traders.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation THIS!! All of it!!!

Thank you for voicing this so well!!!

I thought the same thing but couldn't come up with this great of wording!!

Thanks Cheryl!!!

I agree 100%

Quote:
Whether and when women denigrate themselves, each other, or men is not the subject of the article. It's an article about what men say to each other when they think they're just amongst other men like themselves. It's furthermore about the duty that people who once were female, or at least female bodied, to not let those comments pass.

As for the actual content of the article, I've often found myself repulsed and threatened by what men have said to each other when they thought women weren't listening. I work with a great many giant, well fed men whose job is to lift and move scenery from here to there. While there are plenty who do not, and would not, say the things I find most horrifying, they're also not in the habit of challenging those who do. There have been far too many times when I've found myself on the other side of a piece of scenery while the abovementioned oversized men have said something particularly violent and threatening about specific women, or women in general. The few times when they've realised I was within earshot, they've been embarrassed and apologetic.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
This is an interesting article. I'm particularly astonished by Austin (a few comments down) who claims he's never heard any misogyny from a cis-gendered guys lips. I can't believe that is true.

I've never met a transguy or a sex worker who hasn't witnessed or experienced men making derogatory comments about women. Part of 'being a man' is the expectation of not policing other men's behaviour. Luckily the transguys I know got fed up in the end and refused to participate in other men's bad behaviour, or stayed open about their transition.

Oh please...I have many close post-op ftm friends....And wow, if straight women could see, and hear, the comments and behavior (especially in the men's room and the gym locker rooms)...well...it aint' pretty. I have heard things first hand, that would probably make most women dry heave.

Not *all* bio guys...but MANY.

It's a whole 'nother world.

Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Yeah, I think we can talk about sexism without blaming women. Thank you Cheryl!

Thank you for posting the article Quin!

Nice posts Cheryl & Mystic.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

It really does seem as though we live in a world where the behaviour of men is not policed, whereas the behaviour of women is policed by everyone.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Their being embarrassed and apologetic is not my experience at all. In fact, where I work and have worked on and off for many years (warehouses, hardware stores etc), as well as the previous industry I worked in, the opposite was the case. Men were and are saying disgusting shit to women's faces. It wasn't and isn't something that they go around saying behind women's backs. It happens in both environments, whether women are present or not. When this shit happens in the work place, it's also management that needs to change. Many women don't say shit (or even defend these guys when someone challenges them) when a lot of similar statements as demonstrated in the article are said to them or about other women.

The fact that this shit is seen as socially acceptable should be addressed here, imo. When guys say this shit or display unsafe behaviour and a woman or transguy goes to management about it because its repeated frequently and often, management in those industries rarely take it seriously. And that should be the point, imo. That this is not some "shocking and earthshattering discovery" that men supposedly say when women aren't around/behind closed doors, but that men do say it when women are around and that authoritative bodies do not take it seriously. I've been hearing men say shit like this about and to women to women's faces since I was a kid, and particularly since I began working as a teen (having worked most in minimum wage jobs...which is perhaps another issue of in what environment and in front of what status of women men feel they can say and do anything without consequence...because there is no consequence in many of these industries). It's time to stop acting shocked about something we already know is happening every minute of every day, and start taking bigger steps to make sure those with the authoritative power to do something about it start taking this shit seriously and put consequences and appropriate education in place.

Quote:
It's furthermore about the duty that people who once were female, or at least female bodied, have to not let those comments pass.
I'm sorry, but it's not for you or anyone else to label other people's bodies nor to tell them what their duty is according to the way you perceive their bodies. Everyone makes their own duty. I think every human being should be calling out misogyny, transphobia, racism, classism, homophobia, ableism and discrimination of any sort...but I would never place a "duty" on someone else's shoulders simply based on my perception of who they are and what I think they have or haven't experience because of the body I perceive them to inhabit or to have inhabited at any given time. You don't solve anything by mislabeling people's bodies and telling them what they should or shouldn't be doing according to their bodies.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I guess for me, I would hope that women or someone who was once female bodied, or anyone who has a mother, sister, daughter, female loved one would want to stand up for what is right.

But true Ender, we each do have our own walk.

I do know that I expect more out of women, while at the same time knowing that I don't always say anything and that my expecting more from a women is sexist in itself.

Last edited by Apocalipstic; 05-09-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Apocalipstic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Apocalipstic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i've definitely been in food service jobs where i heard this shit (and experienced/saw other coworkers experience) sexual harassment on a daily basis by the managers and owners. i'm sure there are some men who wait til i'm out of earshot to say these things but i've been around plenty who, as ender says, have no problem saying it to my face because they can and it's considered socially acceptable.

i tend to take it as par for the course being a sex worker, but within the industry it's much different (and sometimes not as prevalent) because the power dynamics are different compared to other jobs.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
i've definitely been in food service jobs where i heard this shit (and experienced/saw other coworkers experience) sexual harassment on a daily basis by the managers and owners. i'm sure there are some men who wait til i'm out of earshot to say these things but i've been around plenty who, as ender says, have no problem saying it to my face because they can and it's considered socially acceptable.
The actual article isn't about overt sexual harassment, rather it's the side of men that many women don't know exist. What men say about women (and I suspect other minorities) when it's just other men within earshot. Sex workers don't necessarily experience sexual harassment, but they're privy to the way men talk about their wives, girlfriends and female colleagues.

My husband has warned a couple of early transition FTM's in our social circle to be ready for male 'banter'.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Their being embarrassed and apologetic is not my experience at all. In fact, where I work and have worked on and off for many years (warehouses, hardware stores etc), as well as the previous industry I worked in, the opposite was the case. Men were and are saying disgusting shit to women's faces. It wasn't and isn't something that they go around saying behind women's backs...."

I should have been more clear. The men I work with often say the kind of garden variety, ho-hum misogynist things that are accepted in this society. They save the really hair-raising violent, racist, homophobic rhetoric for the moments when they think they're, uhh, safe. You know- just us guys.

"...Many women don't say shit (or even defend these guys when someone challenges them) when a lot of similar statements as demonstrated in the article are said to them or about other women."

Once again, is there some reason why you're blaming women for men's misogyny?

"The fact that this shit is seen as socially acceptable should be addressed here, imo. When guys say this shit or display unsafe behaviour and a woman or transguy goes to management about it because its repeated frequently and often, management in those industries rarely take it seriously. And that should be the point, imo. That this is not some "shocking and earthshattering discovery" that men supposedly say when women aren't around/behind closed doors, but that men do say it when women are around and that authoritative bodies do not take it seriously. I've been hearing men say shit like this about and to women to women's faces since I was a kid, and particularly since I began working as a teen (having worked most in minimum wage jobs...which is perhaps another issue of in what environment and in front of what status of women men feel they can say and do anything without consequence...because there is no consequence in many of these industries)."

Ender, has it occurred to you that the men who say and have said this shit to you, and in front of you, say worse shit when you're not around? I have no idea what your gender presentation is now, but I'm willing to bet a mortgage payment that they perceived you as a girl when you were younger, and tempered their speech accordingly.

"It's time to stop acting shocked about something we already know is happening every minute of every day, and start taking bigger steps to make sure those with the authoritative power to do something about it start taking this shit seriously and put consequences and appropriate education in place."

Am I shocked? HELL no. I live with this shit daily. Are my friends shocked when I repeat some of it to them? You bet. Because they may be professors, or executives who are more in control of the environments in which they work. As you mentioned, class certainly plays a part in this discussion, but the intersection of class and sexism hasn't been fashionable to discuss for a good, long while. It's worth mentioning that those of my friends who are the most shocked, for instance college professors, are in the best position to influence thought on this subject, but are some of the most underexposed people I know.

"I'm sorry, but it's not for you or anyone else to label other people's bodies nor to tell them what their duty is according to the way you perceive their bodies. Everyone makes their own duty. I think every human being should be calling out misogyny, transphobia, racism, classism, homophobia, ableism and discrimination of any sort...but I would never place a "duty" on someone else's shoulders simply based on my perception of who they are and what I think they have or haven't experience because of the body I perceive them to inhabit or to have inhabited at any given time. You don't solve anything by mislabeling people's bodies and telling them what they should or shouldn't be doing according to their bodies.
If you have a problem with someone holding trans guys to a higher standard when it comes to challenging male misogyny, take it up with the trans guy who wrote the article.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

as a sex worker, i haven't actually experienced men talking much about their significant others (oddly enough). the worst thing most men say about their significant others to me is that they wish their significant other looked like me, or looked different, or was more adventurous in bed. i have experienced them talking badly about me behind my back and to my face, but the difference is that i am not at their mercy as i would be in a regular job, so i can just refuse to have them as a client (and sometimes blacklist them to other sex workers).

i get that the article is about what men say when women aren't around...i just (as ender and others have pointed out) am not sure this is necessarily a "hidden" side of men, since many of them are perfectly comfortable saying things like this when we ARE around. perhaps for some women it's a surprise but to most women i know it wouldn't be a surprise because men have said these things to our face.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation
Default my .02 worth

As an FtM who is legally male and how has been in the transportation industy for over 23 yrs I have heard csi-men and women talk trash about the other. Some to the faces of the intended person or persons and some behind their backs.

I find this rude and appalling always have. I dont use a CB in my truck anymore due to this, I just couldnt keep my mouth shut whenever I heard a man trashing a woman or just being plain rude to her. It was easy to do it behind a mic of the CB cause I was anonymous however there was several times that I have been caught "correcting" the other person. Its never a pretty site however I stood my ground and always will.

I dont think its my RESPONSIBILITY as a female born bodied man to correct such behavior but that of a HUMAN being who wants all people to be accepted for who they ARE not who we think they SHOULD be.

I have never really lived as a woman, well IDENTIFIED as one, I was passing for a man years and I mean years prior to actually starting my transition. Im talking back in jr high I would be mistaken for a boy. So how would I go about addressing the issue with another man that once I lived as a woman and IM offended by what you are saying. Why cant I just be offended as a person who has a woman as my mother, who loves women and man who RESPECTS women? To me that is where I need to stand as a human being who wants all to be accepted for who they are and NOT what I think they should be.

For the last 7 years I have had an on going battle to get my parents to see me as their CHILD not JUST their daughter. I havent won the battle but I havent given up who I am either.

I think that all of us in some ways are guilty of some bad behavior towards the opposite gender or expression of their gender. I have caught myself saying things about both men and women when I witness how they are driving or doing something stupid. I may not say it out loud but it does cross my mind. Im not perfect nor will I ever be however I do see this as a fault of mine. Im working on it and have came along way cause I used to scream it at them.

I myself wish that in our ever changing world we as a people, a nation, a global citizen would recognize that each and every person is different is some ways and that is what makes the world a better place and exciting place.

I dont expect change to happen any time soon however I think each of us needs to take a step and keep moving forward towards that change. Maybe by time or grandchildren come along they will have a difference out look on what is gender and how to treat said the opposite genders.

Last edited by Teddybear; 05-09-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: wrong word
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post: