Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #201
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,247 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

TSA And Gender Profiling

http://www.countercurrents.org/mcelroy171012.htm

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #202
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Disturbing trend: TSA agents vandalizing travelers’ property

http://techmediatainment.blogspot.com/2012/10/disturbing-trend-tsa-agents-vandalizing.html?spref=tw

Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #203
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Queens Man Put on "No-Fly List" Stranded in Austria

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1398951-3-stranded-sudden-inclusion-no-fly-list.html

Convicted former Islamic charity director from US on no-fly list, stranded in Mideast

http://www.canada.com/mobile/news/world-news/Convicted+former+Islamic+charity+director+from+nof ly+list+stranded/7363695/story.html

Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #204
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

TSA Vendor Denies Faking Test of Body-Imaging Software

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-11-14/tsa-vendor-denies-faking-test-of-body-imaging-software

Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #205
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

TSA puts controversial scanners in storage

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2012/11/15/tsa-bodyscanners/1706811/

"......Texas warehouse, which now holds a total of $155 million in unused equipment awaiting either disposal or redeployment...."

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #206
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Steampunk art is now terrorism, according to the TSA

http://tsanewsblog.com/7452/news/steampunk-art-is-now-terrorism-according-to-the-tsa/

".....the Oakland airport said a man’s artistic watch could be used to make a timing device for a bomb."

Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #207
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

TSA 'Viper' team makes appearance in Emeryville

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=8957075

Possibly because I don't have that mindset, but I don't see how a train, running on a track, could be a useful terrorist tactic.

How much did this TSA show cost us?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #208
curlyredhead

How Do You Identify?:
Female to Male "Straight"
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Taken

curlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hmmmm should be interesting....

Ok so I have an interesting thing happening. As most people know I just recently had my lower surgery. One of the reasons I chose to stay local in Plano, TX was so I didn't have to deal with the TSA. I have heard horror stories about guys traveling after surgery and having all sorts of issues.

Now in the past I have done a pat down because I didn't want to reveal my gender and I don't know how much of it is actually visible through those scanners. I also don't know if it is safe for my $6,000 hearing aids to go through either.

In the future I am scheduled to fly to San Antonio in a couple of weeks. I really don't know if I want a pat down or if I want a scanner. Obviously I am still healing. Any suggestions would be great.

I have had issues in the past I am about to disclose that information here.

1) San Antonio
2) Metal Detector
3) Opt Out
4) At first I was nervous but it wasn't a bad thing.
5) I would have to say with my ex she didn't like the entire pat down I went through thought it was way too invasive and it takes FOREVER!
6) I understand why TSA is there and I am glad, but really get with the program and use the technology that is better suited for the airport, so we don't have to take off our shoes anymore.
7) One time, I was really caught off guard by this too and didn't know how to respond. TSA agent asked to see my wallet. I felt like this was a bit of invasion of privacy. I see him going through and he sees the money in my wallet. He's like you big spender. He shouldn't have commented it was inappropriate. But if I had told him no he can't go through it, it could have red flagged me right?

Still trying to figure out my next trip.... I might ask my surgeon what he thinks as well.
curlyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curlyredhead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #209
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyredhead View Post
Ok so I have an interesting thing happening. As most people know I just recently had my lower surgery. One of the reasons I chose to stay local in Plano, TX was so I didn't have to deal with the TSA. I have heard horror stories about guys traveling after surgery and having all sorts of issues.

Now in the past I have done a pat down because I didn't want to reveal my gender and I don't know how much of it is actually visible through those scanners. I also don't know if it is safe for my $6,000 hearing aids to go through either.

In the future I am scheduled to fly to San Antonio in a couple of weeks. I really don't know if I want a pat down or if I want a scanner. Obviously I am still healing. Any suggestions would be great.

I have had issues in the past I am about to disclose that information here.

1) San Antonio
2) Metal Detector
3) Opt Out
4) At first I was nervous but it wasn't a bad thing.
5) I would have to say with my ex she didn't like the entire pat down I went through thought it was way too invasive and it takes FOREVER!
6) I understand why TSA is there and I am glad, but really get with the program and use the technology that is better suited for the airport, so we don't have to take off our shoes anymore.
7) One time, I was really caught off guard by this too and didn't know how to respond. TSA agent asked to see my wallet. I felt like this was a bit of invasion of privacy. I see him going through and he sees the money in my wallet. He's like you big spender. He shouldn't have commented it was inappropriate. But if I had told him no he can't go through it, it could have red flagged me right?

Still trying to figure out my next trip.... I might ask my surgeon what he thinks as well.
One of the problems with TSA is the lack of consistency. What occurs on your flight out will probably be different than your return flight. Each airport, TSA gate, and/or TSA clerk implement different rules, including made up rules.

Things to consider when choosing between the pat down and the scanner:

1) You can still be selected for a pat down even if you don’t trigger the scanner.

2) Men with large penises and large testicles have been flagged by the scanner for ‘abnormalities’ and subjected to the pat down.

3) Women with menstrual pads on have been flagged by the scanner for ‘abnormalities’ and subjected to the pat down.

4) Check with your hearing aid manufacturer about going through the scanner with them. TSA does NOT have the expertise to advise you and may tell you it is okay just to avoid giving you the pat down.

You state you understand why TSA is at our airports. Please expound on that. What do you believe is being accomplished by removing our shoes, taking no liquids into the secure area, and having TSA check our private parts?

You also mentioned your wallet was searched by a TSA clerk and your concern you may have been flagged if you said anything about it being inappropriate. In what way did you feel you might be flagged? Did you think you would receive a retaliatory search if you mentioned the TSA clerk had no need to open your wallet or did you think mentioning the wallet search would indicate you were a terrorist?

Not all TSA experiences are issues, other than ineffectual, time consuming, and fear mongering. I hope your experience is dull and ordinary.

One final note: you said one reason you stay in Plano, TX is to avoid TSA. See the posting directly above yours (and further back). TSA has expanded to searching trains, buses, and private cars.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #210
curlyredhead

How Do You Identify?:
Female to Male "Straight"
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Taken

curlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
One of the problems with TSA is the lack of consistency. What occurs on your flight out will probably be different than your return flight. Each airport, TSA gate, and/or TSA clerk implement different rules, including made up rules.

Things to consider when choosing between the pat down and the scanner:

1) You can still be selected for a pat down even if you don’t trigger the scanner.

2) Men with large penises and large testicles have been flagged by the scanner for ‘abnormalities’ and subjected to the pat down.

3) Women with menstrual pads on have been flagged by the scanner for ‘abnormalities’ and subjected to the pat down.

4) Check with your hearing aid manufacturer about going through the scanner with them. TSA does NOT have the expertise to advise you and may tell you it is okay just to avoid giving you the pat down.

You state you understand why TSA is at our airports. Please expound on that. What do you believe is being accomplished by removing our shoes, taking no liquids into the secure area, and having TSA check our private parts?Well obviously they are here for our safety and preventing something like what happened on 9/11 again. Yes its annoying that we have to wait in line and have this inconvenience while traveling but I would rather be safe then dead.

You also mentioned your wallet was searched by a TSA clerk and your concern you may have been flagged if you said anything about it being inappropriate. In what way did you feel you might be flagged? Did you think you would receive a retaliatory search if you mentioned the TSA clerk had no need to open your wallet or did you think mentioning the wallet search would indicate you were a terrorist? If I had told him no he can't look I had a fear that it could stir up trouble that would be unnecessary. As for whether or not it would have indicated me as a terrorist I don't know since I really don't know what their protocols are.

Not all TSA experiences are issues, other than ineffectual, time consuming, and fear mongering. I hope your experience is dull and ordinary.

One final note: you said one reason you stay in Plano, TX is to avoid TSA. See the posting directly above yours (and further back). TSA has expanded to searching trains, buses, and private cars.
I wasn't aware of this but I think in this day and age bombs and terrorist are a huge problem.If this is what we need to do to keep places safe then its what we have to do.
curlyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #211
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyredhead View Post
I wasn't aware of this but I think in this day and age bombs and terrorist are a huge problem.If this is what we need to do to keep places safe then its what we have to do.
Thank you for the dialog. Can you tell me where you got the information that "bombs and terrorist are a huge problem"?

Previously I posted these stats:

Deaths from terrorism since 9/11 (10 years) - 3033
Deaths from breast cancer in 2011 - 39,520 (est)
Deaths from DUIs in 2010 - 32,885
Deaths from homicide in 2011 - 16,799

That is 89,204 deaths in one year compared to 3,033 over 10 years.

This doesn't include death by other cancers, working in unsafe conditions, starvation, lack of medical treatment for treatable illnesses, etc.

The 2012 TSA budget: $7.85 Billion

It seems to me breast cancer, DUIs and homicides are more dangerous and yet we spend $7.85 Billion a year for airport and other screening that has not stopped one terrorist.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #212
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

TSA ends contract with Rapiscan, maker of full-body scanner

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-fullbody-scanner-contract-20130117,0,3525187.story

"But TSA officials said the agency has canceled its contract with the company because it had failed to deliver software to protect the privacy of passengers."

"The Rapiscan scanners have also be criticized by privacy advocates and some health officials, who question whether the machines expose passengers to too much radiation."

Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #213
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #214
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I'm going to the reunion this year so my mode of travel will be Amtrak from Marshall Tex. to LIttle Rock Ark, I do hope I don't have to deal wit the t.s.a. on this trip...I garentee the pic on my drivers licence and my physical one are definatly NOT female by any stretch of the imagnation...I cant help the dam name on the D.L. it is what it is.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #215
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I just had a total hip replacement over Thanksgiving. I have a titanium socket and partially titanium femur (they cut off part of your femur to make the ball piece of the joint). I asked the surgeon about going through airport security. He said I would set off every metal detector there is and I could have problems with the wand depending on how it is set. The full body scanner will show the all the fancy new parts I have.

I have always maintained the full body scanners are dangerous to EVERYBODY including the TSA security folks. If that machine was in a hospital it would be in a lead lined room with ALL the precautions needed for simple x-rays. I'm glad TSA is going to dump them.

I have never liked flying....it's just not natural.....and since 9/11 when fear took over and common sense died I have flown maybe 3 times. Taking off your shoes, putting liquid in 3 oz bottles, no sharp objects, no lighters, but 3 books of matches oh wait you can have a lighter now, is all just stupid and does nothing to make anyone more secure.

I absolutely dread the thought of airport security now because I will set off all their bells and whistles. The thought of partially dropping my pants and showing off my big ass scar is not a pleasant one. Funny though....I was at the Federal Building in Oakland and I set off the metal detector. They stopped me of course, asked me where I was going (the VA Regional office) and I told them I had had a hip replacement and they did not even wand me......I got a thank you for your service and was on my way.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #216
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
I just had a total hip replacement over Thanksgiving. I have a titanium socket and partially titanium femur (they cut off part of your femur to make the ball piece of the joint). I asked the surgeon about going through airport security. He said I would set off every metal detector there is and I could have problems with the wand depending on how it is set. The full body scanner will show the all the fancy new parts I have.

I have always maintained the full body scanners are dangerous to EVERYBODY including the TSA security folks. If that machine was in a hospital it would be in a lead lined room with ALL the precautions needed for simple x-rays. I'm glad TSA is going to dump them.

I have never liked flying....it's just not natural.....and since 9/11 when fear took over and common sense died I have flown maybe 3 times. Taking off your shoes, putting liquid in 3 oz bottles, no sharp objects, no lighters, but 3 books of matches oh wait you can have a lighter now, is all just stupid and does nothing to make anyone more secure.

I absolutely dread the thought of airport security now because I will set off all their bells and whistles. The thought of partially dropping my pants and showing off my big ass scar is not a pleasant one. Funny though....I was at the Federal Building in Oakland and I set off the metal detector. They stopped me of course, asked me where I was going (the VA Regional office) and I told them I had had a hip replacement and they did not even wand me......I got a thank you for your service and was on my way.
I am sorry you will always be subjected to a pat down now, even though you previously put your life on the line to fight against this type of egregious act on every one.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #217
SuddenlyWestFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

SuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuddenlyWestFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I think there should be a 'take your chance airline'--where you go through the old fashioned security (pre 9-11), sign a waver, and are on your way to the plane that other like minded folks are flying.

Since that won't happen, and I refuse to go through the scanner, I get the pat down almost every time I fly. Would be every time, but when flying with the kids, I get to go through the old fashioned metal detector security.

I have never been touched in an obnoxious way... and everyone treats me well. However, I have Femme privileged so that probably has something to do with it.

And not to turn a serious subject into a joke... but honestly, for most of the past two years--the only touch I was getting was while going through airport security. And I kinda sorta... in an embarrassed to say way... looked forward to that part of flying. I secretly hoped for the rough strong hands of a big butch TSA officer (blush).
SuddenlyWestFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuddenlyWestFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #218
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

In March, 2013, the Transportation Security Administration announced it would relax the bans of the carriage of small knives aboard commercial planes. For several reasons this is a smart and sensible move that will help to rationalize and streamline airport security. The backlash against the decision is illogical and, from an air safety perspective, counterproductive. The purpose of this petition is to encourage TSA not to back down under pressure from misguided and emotionally charged arguments. A more thorough explanation of the cause can be read here: http://www.askthepilot.com/tsa-to-relax-ban/

https://www.change.org/petitions/tsa-don-t-give-in-to-fear-mongering

Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #219
Little Fish

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
female ones, will also respond to babe, boi and Romeo
Relationship Status:
Happy :-)

Thanked 1,886 Times in 321 Posts
Little Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST Reputation
Default For completeness' sake...

It should be noted that neither the flight attendants union nor the air marshall's were consulted regarding the loosening of restrictions on these small knives and sports equipment. I understand there is a petition on the White House web site for people who want the TSA to re-consider their decision.
Personally, I haven't decided what I think yet--
Little Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Fish For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #220
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Former Newark Airport TSA screener says the job does little to keep fliers safe

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/confessions_of_tsa_agent_we_re_bunch_OhxHeGd0RR9UV GzfypjnLO

"A LOT of what we do is make-believe."