Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
I don't get bathing suits. I mean, if you're gonna get into the water, why have an article of clothing on when it's just gonna get wet?

And I'm still pondering frozen PB&J's.

I pretty much sit around all day wondering about everything under the sun, so this thread is awesome in my book!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedivahrrrself View Post
I would like to come out in favor of bathing suits. For those of us with less-than-perfect bodies who prefer them covered, wet or not.
I'm with Novela....swimming suits (in my own pool with a privacy fence) seem like a silly waste of time....not to mention that skinny dipping feels so much better.

My body is far from perfect, but I just don't care!

I can't possibly list all the things I don't get...I'd never leave this thread...
Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
I'm with Novela....swimming suits (in my own pool with a privacy fence) seem like a silly waste of time....not to mention that skinny dipping feels so much better.

My body is far from perfect, but I just don't care!

I can't possibly list all the things I don't get...I'd never leave this thread...
Oh, now I'm with you, Jo! If I had my own pool, and no one was watching, I MUCH prefer skinny dipping. I guess I think of pools as public places. Maybe I should get one to get naked in. LOL
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Okay, here's one I don't get...

I seriously don't understand being a "fan" and the entire "cult of celebrity" thing. Sure, there are authors I enjoy, singers I like to listen to, actors that I think are particularly talented, shows that I enjoy...

What I don't "get" are the (what feels to me like) fixations that so many people have on celebrities.... to follow and want to hear about their personal lives, want pictures and autographs....stuff like that.

Maybe it's something missing in me....cuz I've never been a fan of a team either...
Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,222 Posts
Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation

Howdy Folks, I've been away for a week at the GALA Festival of Choruses...it was great, very GAY, and I did not take or look for a computer...so I'll try to catch up...and thank you to those who have carried on...YAY!!

Hummer Limousines - me thinks it's just about more bigger, but what do I know?

...and I can and will be moody about humor...

lillith -
"Willy's wife Linda also plays a role in the irony at the requiem. Linda takes a moment alone with Willy's grave telling him, "I made the last payment on the house today. Today, dear. And there'll be nobody home." Ironically Willy kills himself just before he is "free and clear" of debt. There is also another ironic piece to Linda's final words to her husband. She says to him, "Why did you do it? I search and search and I search, and I can't understand it, Willy." This is ironic because throughout the play Linda is the only person that loves Willy unconditionally for who he is, but in reality she has no idea who he is at all. Linda never let herself understand Willy's psychological problems, therefore the only thing she can think to blame for his suicide is their financial burden.

Citation: "Irony in the Requiem of Arthur Miller's play, Death of a Salesman." 123HelpMe.com. 14 Jul 2012
<http://www.123HelpMe.com/view.asp?id=14642>.

There is so much that may have to do with a person knowing who they really are...and being able to be that, in the presence of other people's expectations and judgements...

I heard Philip Seymour Hoffman, who played Willy in this last Broadway production, talk about how awful and draining the role is, yet that one must take on if one is asked to do it....if one has attained that level of ability...

very interesting.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Yeah - so this is a lot more complicated...

...and I sure ain't gonna be able to starighten any of it out...and, by the way, I originally put this in "The Emperor's New Clothes" threadspace and June moved it, but maybe I should have put it in "The Red Zone" for no moderating...

For me, I grew up in very pro-Jewish, pro-Israel space...

well, for me, this brings in a mixity of race, ethnicity, religion, power, privilege, politics, and hegemony in my background...

...and family...

I grew up in very pro-Jewish, pro-Israel space...and as time has gone on the reality of events in the real World... and my point of view...have changed over time.

When I read accounts of ambulances with Palestinian People in them being held in lines at the border or Palestinian People being forced to go to a specific hospital for Palestinian People....and that People die...it also reminds me of how this country has been in the past and is moving toward again.

When I read or hear about the government of Israel wanting Palestinian truck drivers to were identification badges...and then I hear that the Israeli truck drivers started wearing ID badges too - to make a point....and help People remember...

When I hear jingoistic rhetoric in any form I think there is a problem. Automatic defense of anything or anybody, in my opinion, can be problematic.

As an individual, I have the easier job of making my own opinion and living with a mixity...as a government making political statements and trying to form alliances (which I think are very problematic) it is not so easy...people get pissed off, we try to act like grown-ups, but we can't, we get dug in, defend our "friends" and "family"...if it's us being the rebels it's OK - if it's somebody not us, it's not OK...

just my opinion..

Quote:
I don't get America's blind support for Israel.

I get why we need an ally in the Middle East. I get why some Americans identify with the plight of the Jewish people. I get why Israel exists as a state.

But I don't get why, when they shoot one of our own unarmed citizens at almost point blank range, on video, why our diplomats don't go postal on them, why our people don't get up in arms about that.

I don't get why we can look at the human rights injustices (which are, admittedly on both sides, but Israel is the more powerful player here) and just turn a blind eye, and keep sending more cash and weapons. I don't get why Palestinians aren't allowed to have things like band-aids and basic building materials.

I don't understand this game we play with Israel. It's like an accepted American position that we all support anything and everything the State of Israel does. Why do we get to question every other country's motives, but not theirs?

When the Arab Spring happened, everyone cheered for Muslims in Egypt, in Yemen - YAY! They have a right to democratically elect their own leaders! - but no one made the connection to Palestinians. I don't understand why they don't also have that same right.

I just don't get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Default Goodness, this is a lot...

pinkgeek..." illusions of perfection," what an interesting phrase...trying to be...what we think we should be or what is expected...and what happens if we don't make it....

"Re: Death of a Salesman - I can't help but think of Eugene O'Neil and Long Day's Journey into Night (written close to the same time period I believe). The Tyrones are another family suffering under the disillusionment and imperfections of life.

In my experience the value in these tragic plays is that they do mimic real life. If anyone could "just stop" or "just don't" etc. etc. there would be less poverty, disease, abuse etc, but that isn't how humans are wired. Perfect logic is interrupted by dreams, lust, greed, fear, shame and thus often imperfect choices are all that can be seen and certainly what is chosen.

If the only stories we told in theatre and books were stories of Happily.Ever.After where all the characters made all the logical choices it would not be art reflecting life - it would be art reflecting an illusions of perfection. (I'm sure the right wing would just love this concept!)

Your mileage may vary."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
cinnamongrrl563 - I think... :-) that people get fundamentalist about all sorts of things...and it's that pointing out a speck in someone else's eye with a freakin log sticking out of your own...

"I dont get....vegetarians who berate NON vegetarians for eating meat..to the point of leaving a dinner party because of the bad mojo at being around meat eaters..and yet they have down comforters and leather shoes...do they really think that the animals VOLUNTEERED these things for their use?? And just by the by....i am mostly vegetarian...and will attempt at being vegan soonly...but i refuse to be a nazi about it....I just cant stand hypocritical better than thou types....irks me to no end..."
Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,972 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default jus' sayin '...

Quote:
I might be too if I was skinny! LOL

As it stands, I'm only a household nudist.
what da hell does your body have to do wit' feelin' good about bein'nude. nude feels good full stop...
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #28
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Default I'm still sorry I was away for a week...

Hurray for shared space and plenty of space on the barbeque grill...

bathing suits can be helpful in some places and skin is great in others...I sure got a kick out of the "holding boobies down" thing...

I don't get the "cult of celebrity" thing either - the couple of times I've gotten an autograph, it wasn't really for the signature, it was because I was curious about what the person might say...

Oh to ponder....

...I'm seeing a bit of a theme of self-acceptance....except in the frozen PB&J sammiches ;-)

PS - there's no such thing as a perfect body.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

nude feels great as long as no one else is looking! LOL

sorry, just not into public nudity. I was just teasing about if I was skinny. I'd probably still not skinny dip in public. I always used to say if i'd been born skinny, I might have stripped through college, and I wouldn't have to worry about student loans!! My cousin used to clear a six-figure income that way.
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #30
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

I don't get why the media writes articles about Charlie Sheen ... and then why anyone reads them.

Baffling to me.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #31
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Default Howdy folks

Yeah, I don't understand the attention Charlie Sheen gets.

Today I am brought back to wondering why the job keeps around a person who:

~ doesn't communicate
~ sends people on wild goose chases
~ says things that aren't true
~ makes other people's jobs much more difficult
~ creates much frustration around her

Why do they keep her around???
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #32
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWriteFemme View Post
Turtle,

... my friend was suggesting I watch Glenn Gary Glenn Ross ....

For more than a decade, coworkers (sales guys) have suggested I watch Glenn Gary Glenn Ross. I finally bit the bullet and watched it a couple of weeks ago. There was some funny sentimentality to the big speech by Alec Baldwin in the beginning, almost a (negative) nostalgia about how sales organizations used to run, and some still do. However, I couldn't get much past that part, because it reminded me of so much of what I hated about living in NYC. Miserable people living miserable lives and complaining about it nonstop. I lived it for real, and have no desire to watch it on DVD. So, I saw the big speech part, I snickered, remembering those times, and then I struggled through 10 more minutes and turned it off.

When I went back my office on Monday and told everyone I had watched it, the most enthusiastic of my coworkers said, "Well, what did you think??!!!", and I told him. After about 5 seconds he said, "You're right. There's no real reason to watch it except for the speech by Alec Baldwin."

I thought that was pretty funny actually, that here he had spent all this time trumping it up, telling me I HAD TO watch it, only to realize it actually wasn't that great after all. It probably goes to the point of the original poster here... sometimes, in fact a LOT of times, people jump on a bandwagon they aren't even aware of. I'm not that way at all, in fact, I avoid most things that are trendy and popular. I'm sort of anti-trendy, and it irks me when my anti things become trendy... like tattoos.

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #33
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanks...

I'm pretty anti-trendy myself and often, I just can't do reality as entertainment, either.

I never got around to checking out LWF's suggestion....I will try to check out, at least the speech, later.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #34
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,409 Times in 6,877 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I dont get....why I cant find a thread I'm looking for even when I do a search for it....by name.....and how even though I've posted in the thread before, I cant even find it in my user CP..... Im IRKED......
cinnamongrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #35
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post
I dont get....why I cant find a thread I'm looking for even when I do a search for it....by name.....and how even though I've posted in the thread before, I cant even find it in my user CP..... Im IRKED......
Wants some help??? Bet u I can find it (weg)
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #36
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post
Me, too!!! I search on the correct title and it still comes up with zilch! Maybe Teddybear can explain it...although maybe that offer was just for cinnamongrrl563 ;-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Me, too!!! I search on the correct title and it still comes up with zilch! Maybe Teddybear can explain it...although maybe that offer was just for cinnamongrrl563 ;-)
I dont search I go to the forums home page and then go down the categories till I find where I think it will be and look in there easy peasy
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #38
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,309 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

I don't get synchronized swimming. What freak show!
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #39
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
I don't get synchronized swimming. What freak show!
okay, i don't get that you don't get synchronized swimming! hehehe. it always seems like dancing in the water to me, and i love dancing.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #40
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,309 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
okay, i don't get that you don't get synchronized swimming! hehehe. it always seems like dancing in the water to me, and i love dancing.

Yes you have a point there Aisha...

And what sport isn't weird, after all??

I was thinking too ... that argument, What is art?—You know how it never ends?

I think, What is a sport? never ends, either.

Nor should it.

But I still don't get it !!!! LOL

The make-up freaks me out. Since when is that part of the criteria for judging a sport? Maybe I'm missing something...

I dunno. Still thinking.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:

Tags
feedback, sharing, society, thought, understanding