Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Thanked 3,221 Times in 666 Posts
femmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST Reputation
Default An Industry of Madness?

The following is a link to a series of documentary films that outline or explore Abuse in Psychiatry.

I find it fascinating and alarming information, but not shocking considering that most of us who identify somewhere on the queer/'homosexual' continuum would have been diagnosed with a mental illness prior to 1987.

The documentaries are quite long, but I'd love start up a discussion on the 'history of madness' and the current "industry of madness' that supports a huge pharmacological industry based on questionable diagnosis.

In the documentary one Psychiatrist refers to the DSM-IV as a 'dartboard' rather than a 'diagnostic too'.

Another complexity are the socio aspects of "mental illness" not limited to, but very much intersectional with gender, and the pathologizing of women's experiences:

Gender specific risk factors for common mental disorders that disproportionately affect women include gender based violence, socioeconomic disadvantage, low income and income inequality, low or subordinate social status and rank and unremitting responsibility for the care of others.

The high prevalence of sexual violence to which women are exposed and the correspondingly high rate of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) following such violence, renders women the largest single group of people affected by this disorder.
(W.H.O)

http://archive.org/details/cchr_psychiatry

1) Diagnostic & Statistical Manual: Psychiatry's Deadliest Scam
2) Psychiatry: Marketing of Madness
3) Psychiatry: Making Madness
4) Abuse in Psychiatry: The Truth
5) Psychiatry: Dead Wrong.

Thoughts? Reactions? WTF's?

Lila Watson

You say you love rain, but you use an umbrella to walk under it.
You say you love sun, but you seek shade when its shining.
You say you love wind, but when its comes you close your window.
So that's why I'm scared, when you say you love me.

-- Bob Marley
femmeInterrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

femmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST Reputation
Default Depression and the Limits of Psychiatry

The Stone: Depression and the Limits of Psychiatry
The recent revisions to the DSMs definition of depression are based on a questionable conception of what is "normal." Why is that dangerous?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...?smid=pl-share

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

I think this is a fascinating topic. I was entered into the psychiatric system very early in life due to behavioral problems. By the age of 13, I was already on medication.

It wasn't until a naturopathic physician told me that most if not all of my chronic health problems was due to gluten intolerance that I started investigating other possible causes of my mental health problems as well. I think the psychiatric profession is way too quick to dole out medications without taking into account the physical health as well as the background of the patient.

They get kick-backs for prescribing drugs so there's a huge incentive for them to drug up as many people as quickly as possible. This isn't medicine, it's sickness management. My thinking has recently been if you're not crazy when you visit a psychiatrist, you will be when you walk out.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Girl on Fire,

Thanks so much for sharing. You make totally awesome and valid observations and points.

Both the Women's community, and the LGBTTQ communities have had problematic histories and over-representation in being pathologized by the Psychiatric community.

A scant century ago women were admitted into Lunatic Asylum/Mental Hospitals on the testimony of husbands, fathers, brothers and policemen who identified women's reproductive functions as primary causes of insanity. Some traced origins of "mental illness" to childbirth with diagnosis like "womb trouble, since the birth of her child six years ago" With other pseudo- gynaecological-psychiatric assessments that gave the 'strain' of labour causing mental derangement. Similarly, single women, women at conflict with the law (sex workers, etc) were diagnosed by doctors who asserted that 'his medically trained eye could easily detect the insane eye".

We fast forward to our present day and observe that Gender Identity Disorder is in the DSM IV-- and that the pathologizing of gender (trans)gressions of children, is alive and well. For example :

1) Stated desires
(my Butch tells stories begging for a 'boy's haircut and clothing' as a young child. And for a period of time, insisted to all hy would meet that hy was really a little boy.

2) Preferences in play
Again, same thing. Wanted hys brothers tonka toys, wanted to be involved in the games with the guys, hang with them, etc.

3) Participation in stereotypical games and past times

Problematic. Hated getting the toys and clothing for gifts, because they weren't what Hy really wanted. Fuck the nightie, hy wanted polo jammies like hys brothers. That sort of thing.

4) Preferences for playmates of the other sex
Again, in childhood preferred to play with boys, related easier.

5) Discomfort with sex or sense of inappropriateness in the gender role

Just a general state of 'wrongness'

These are just personal examples ( and my Butch is totally O.K. sharing these parts of hys experience in this forum ) in direct response to the DSM 'criteria'.

It's not an uncommon story or experience.
I am sure there are hundreds with similar experiences on this website alone.

my Butch is NOT 'mentally ill', nor does hy identify with having a 'psychiatric disorder' because his gender expression is non-conforming expected ways of expressing gender. Hy'll quickly state hys biggest challenge is dealing with me!

Creates more questions than answers, but while reading your response I thought of this Gary Lawson cartoon re: Psychiatry and some people's experiences.

"Trouble Brewing"

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following User Says Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

Thankfully, being transgender is no longer seen as a mental illness. Neurodiverse people are now coming to the forefront as well as people who simply see the world differently and are not "mentally ill".

After years of struggling socially, I stumbled upon Asperger's syndrome and found that it literally explained everything about the way I view the world and interact with others. Yes, my childhood was very tough because I was medicated and misunderstood but had I been born 50 years ago, I would have been shipped off to an asylum!

Thank God we're making some progress as a society at least.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default Mental: A History of the Madhouse BBC (2010)

Mental: A History of the Madhouse is a BBC documentary film released in 2010 that sheds light on the mental asylums of the United Kingdom. Earlier in the 20th century mental asylums were places for the morally and mentally deprived; madness was considered to be nothing more than an act of god on the unfortunate and that is the reason why asylums were created were people who had become mad would be kept separate from the society; it was considered best to keep such people off the streets and this seems like the appropriate thing to do as well. That is why asylums were created.

A famous psychiatrist RD Lang once said that “Insanity is the sane response of living in an insane world.”

Mental: A History of the Madhouse is an intriguing documentary film from BBC, of Britain’s unorthodox mental asylums consisting of the patients and staff who served and were treated in them before they closed.

http://www.thegreatplanet.com/mental...c-documentary/

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following User Says Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post: